• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Star Trek Book Club Anyone?

Cirus Almonaster V

ST Book Club Anyone?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a ST book discussion/ club on these forums?

• Yes, but just a discussion of books read or reading
    • Yes, as a book club (members decide the book to be read)
    • No, reading is for p'etaQs!

On 10/2/2023 at 10:24 AM, LuxaLorana said:

Perhaps we could create a thread in the forum (best after the discord 'meeting') for those who aren't able to attend to leave their thoughts as well or continue the discussion? 

I was going to ask this as well as sadly I will definitely not be able to make this time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Second Book Club Meet - "Avatar (Book One)" by S.D. Perry

• Designated Reading

For the next meet-up, which will be scheduled to some time in the week 30th of October - 5th of November, we will be reading Chapters 4 - 6 (Page 56-85).

OBS: As always, it is NOT mandatory to stick to our reading schedule. You may read faster or slower than the rest of us, if you wish, but keep in mind that our discussions in the Book Club thread will be conducted with the above reading pace in mind. This means that, if you read FASTER, please refrain from spoiling the contents of the book for the rest of us, and if you read SLOWER, enter at your own risk, as our Book Club meetings will likely contain spoilers for your own reading.

• Meeting Summary & Timezone Contingency Topic

I've created a forum topic for the Book Club Meeting on the 18th of October, which contains a summary of the discussion we had on the chapters Prologue + 1-3. Feel free to add any observations you didn't get to share during the meeting to that thread, and keep a good conversation going! This is also where our American friends can go to share their own observations that they were prevented from participating with on Discord because of Timezone devilry. Thank you all for a good attendance, and I hope you're all as pumped as I for the next one!!

• Second Meeting Vote Underway

I've created a separate thread in the spoiler-room channel on the Discord specifically for the Book Club Votes. That should make voting a lot easier on you all, as no scrolling should be necessary to find it! As that is the case, please refrain from making general chatter in that thread, so as to help your fellow Book Enthusiasts easily access the latest vote ❤️

• Like 3

Second Book Club Meet Time Decided - "Avatar (Book One)" by S.D. Perry

• Designated Reading

For the next meet-up, we will be reading Chapters 4 - 6 (Page 56-85).

OBS: As always, it is NOT mandatory to stick to our reading schedule. You may read faster or slower than the rest of us, if you wish, but keep in mind that our discussions in the Book Club thread will be conducted with the above reading pace in mind. This means that, if you read FASTER, please refrain from spoiling the contents of the book for the rest of us, and if you read SLOWER, enter at your own risk, as our Book Club meetings will likely contain spoilers for your own reading.

• Second Meeting Time Decided!

The vote for the second Book Club Meet-Up has been concluded!

Our next meeting (apologies once more, dear American fellows) has - by popular demand - been scheduled for Friday the 3rd of November, 7PM UTC. Just like last time, we will be starting at 7PM sharp-ish, but you all should feel free to join and/or leave the discussion whenever you are able/feel like it.

I hope to see as many of you there as possible! ❤️

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Third Book Club Meet Time Decided - "Avatar (Book One)" by S.D. Perry

• Designated Reading

For the next meet-up, we will be reading Chapters 7 - 9 (Page 86-121).

OBS: As always, it is NOT mandatory to stick to our reading schedule. You may read faster or slower than the rest of us, if you wish, but keep in mind that our discussions in the Book Club thread will be conducted with the above reading pace in mind. This means that, if you read FASTER, please refrain from spoiling the contents of the book for the rest of us, and if you read SLOWER, enter at your own risk, as our Book Club meetings will likely contain spoilers for your own reading. Given the low attendance last time, I encourage everyone to consider this weeks reading in correlation to the chapters we read for the last meeting, so we can perhaps include observations or thoughts that weren't sufficiently discussed at the last meet-up.

• Third Meeting Time Decided!

The vote for the third Book Club Meet-Up has been concluded!

Our next meeting (dear Americans, we salute you) has - by popular demand - been scheduled for Friday the 24th of November, 8PM UTC. We will endeavour for a 8PM sharp-ish start time, but you all should feel free to join and/or leave the discussion whenever you are able/feel like it.

I hope to see as many of you (Including myself this time around =_= ) there as possible! ❤️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fourth Book Club Meet Time Decided - "Avatar (Book One)" by S.D. Perry

• Designated Reading

For the next meet-up, we will be reading Chapters 10 - 12 (Page 122 - 149).

• Fourth Meeting Time Decided!

Our next meeting been scheduled for Friday the 8th of December, 8PM UTC. Discussions will properly start up at around 8:15, so don't feel pressured to be there on the dot. I'll be there sharp-ish to welcome one and all, but you all should feel free to join and/or leave the discussion whenever you are able/feel like it.

I hope to have a good debate with everyone attending!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Fifth Book Club Meet Time Decided - "Avatar (Book One)" by S.D. Perry

• Designated Reading

For the next meet-up, we will be reading Chapters 13 - 15.

• Fifth Meeting Time Decided!

Our next meeting been scheduled for Sunday the 7th of January, 8PM UTC. Discussions will properly start up at around 8:15, as per usual, but pop on in whenever you can to share your opinions with the rest of us :D

Look forward to seeing you all for the first Book Club of 2401!

• 2 weeks later...

Sixth (and Penultimate) Book Club Meet Time Decided - "Avatar (Book One)" by S.D. Perry

• Designated Reading

For the next meet-up, we will be reading Chapters 15 - 18.

• Sixth Meeting Time Decided!

The vote for the Book Club Meet-Up has been concluded!

Our next meeting been scheduled for Friday the 26th of January, 8PM UTC. Discussions will properly start up at around 8:15, as per usual! Show up ready to almost have finished this book :D

• Future Reading

Since we're almost done with this book, I recommend everyone to start considering possible contenders for the next Book Club Book!

During our last vote, where we chose "Avatar (Book One)" by S.D. Perry (boy, did we not know what we were getting into), these following books received more than one vote:

1. "Imzadi" - by Peter David
    During delicate negotiations with an aggressive race called the Sindareen, Deanna Troi mysteriously falls ill and dies, and Commander Riker sets out on a journey across time to bring her back to life.

2. "The Lost Years" - by J.M. Dillard
    After the end of the Enterprise's five-year mission, Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, and Dr. McCoy struggle to establish new lives apart from each other and the starship. The newly-promoted Admiral Kirk is placed in charge of a specially-created Starfleet division and attempts to defuse a critical hostage situation; Mr. Spock, who, in the midst of a teaching assignment on Vulcan, finds the one thing he least expected; and Dr. McCoy, whose unerring instinct for trouble lands him smack in the middle of an incident that could trigger an interstellar bloodbath.

3. "Titan #1: Taking Wing" - by Michael A. Martin
    William Riker, former first officer of the USS Enterprise in Star Trek: The Next Generation, takes command of the new USS Titan in this white-knuckled adventure perfect for longtime and new Star Trek fans.

These books are reentered into the vote, but I'd love it if the vote for the next book could be between 5 or 6 books, so please make your suggestions :D 

I was going to suggest New Frontier Book 1 but this is a series and you really need to read it as a series to fully enjoy it. 

Just for variety I'm suggesting The Autobiography of Kathryn Janeway..

• Like 2

• "I,Q" by John de Lancie and Peter David
  • "A Stitch in Time" by Andrew Jordt Robinson
  • "Spock's World" by Diane Duane

Or, if we are open to slightly wider content, I have a list of memoirs by Star Trek actors that I've been wanting to read:

• "Making it So" by Patrick Stewart
  • "I am Spock" by Leonard Nimoy

Please note I haven't read all of these (I read "I,Q" a very long time ago) so I take no responsibility if we collectively dislike them LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Making it So is very good I'm halfway through so would support that otherwise. I,Q or the Titan book is in my favour. And anything apart from Avatar Book 2

On 1/13/2024 at 5:21 PM, T'Mar/Mel said:
  • "I,Q" by John de Lancie and Peter David
  • "A Stitch in Time" by Andrew Jordt Robinson
  • "Spock's World" by Diane Duane

I,Q and Spock's World are good books. I have not listened to Garrick tell us a story yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Future Reading of the Book Club

These are the contenders for the next book of the SB118 Book Club, to be commenced after our final meeting for Avatar (Book One). No, Avatar (Book Two) is NOT in the running.

The list has been comprised of three books from our original list that got more than 1 vote, and some more books that have been recommended by Book Club partakers and interested parties. The Books will be posted to the Book Club Voting-thread on Discord, where you should react to each book you'd like to read with a 'Heart' reaction. Every potential reader gets three hearts to dole out on the book vote, so please keep that in mind!

Without further ado, here are the contending books:

1. "Imzadi" - by Peter David
    During delicate negotiations with an aggressive race called the Sindareen, Deanna Troi mysteriously falls ill and dies, and Commander Riker sets out on a journey across time to bring her back to life.

2. "The Lost Years" - by J.M. Dillard
    After the end of the Enterprise's five-year mission, Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, and Dr. McCoy struggle to establish new lives apart from each other and the starship. The newly-promoted Admiral Kirk is placed in charge of a specially-created Starfleet division and attempts to defuse a critical hostage situation; Mr. Spock, who, in the midst of a teaching assignment on Vulcan, finds the one thing he least expected; and Dr. McCoy, whose unerring instinct for trouble lands him smack in the middle of an incident that could trigger an interstellar bloodbath.

3. "Titan #1: Taking Wing" - by Michael A. Martin
    William Riker, former first officer of the USS Enterprise in Star Trek: The Next Generation, takes command of the new USS Titan in this white-knuckled adventure perfect for longtime and new Star Trek fans.

4. "I, Q" - by John De Lancie and Peter David
    In a story told by the actor who played "Q" in the popular TV series, the mischievous super-being joins forces with his nemesis, Captain Picard, to save the universe from the Maelstrom, a metaphysical whirlpool of apocalyptic dimension that is devouring time and space.

5. "Spock's World" - by Diane Duane
    It is the twenty-third century. On the planet Vulcan, a crisis of unprecedented proportion has caused the convocation of the planet's ruling council -- and summoned the U.S.S. Enterprise? from halfway across the galaxy, to bring Vulcan's most famous son home in its hour of need.As Commander Spock, his father Sarek, and Captain James T. Kirk struggle to preserve Vulcan's future, the planet's innermost secrets are laid before us, from its beginnings millions of years ago to its savage prehistory, from merciless tribal warfare to medieval court intrigue, from the exploration of space to the the development of o'thia -- the ruling ethic of logic. And Spock -- torn between his duty to Starfleet and the unbreakable ties that bind him to Vulcan -- must find a way to reconcile both his own inner conflict and the external dilemma his planet faces...lest the Federation itself be ripped asunder.

6. "The Autobiography of Kathryn Janeway" - by Una McCormack
    Kathryn Janeway reveals her career in Starfleet, from her first command to her epic journey through the Delta Quadrant leading to her rise to the top as vice-admiral in Starfleet Command. Discover the story of the woman who travelled further than any human ever had before, stranded decades from home, encountering new worlds and species. Explore how she brought together Starfleet and the Maquis as part of her crew, forged new alliances with species across the galaxy and overcame one of Starfleet’s greatest threats – the Borg – on their own remote and hostile territory. Get Janeway’s personal take on key characters such as Seven of Nine, her trusted friend Tuvok, new arrivals like Neelix and her second-in-command, Chakotay.

• 1 month later...

Seventh Book Club Meet Time Decided - "Titan #1: Taking Wing" by Michael A. Martin

• Designated Reading

For the next meet-up, and the first meet-up of the Titan book, we will be reading Chapters 1 - 4.

• Meeting Time Decided!

Our next meeting been scheduled for Sunday the 3rd of March, 8PM UTC. Discussions will properly start up at around 8:15!!

My apologies for the very late announcement!

• Like 2

Been a much easier read than Avatar! I'm really enjoying this one. Can't wait to see what everyone else thinks on Sunday :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Eighth Book Club Meet Time Decided - "Titan #1: Taking Wing" by Michael A. Martin

• Designated Reading

For the next meet-up, the designated chapters are Chapters 5 - 8.

• Meeting Time Decided!

Our next meeting been scheduled for Saturday the 16th of March, 8PM UTC, but as always, discussions will properly start up at around 8:15!!

I hope you all are having a wonderful time reading Titan, and are ready to delve into the post-introductory section!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ninth Book Club Meet Time Decided - "Titan #1: Taking Wing" by Michael A. Martin

• Designated Reading

For the next meet-up, the designated chapters are Chapters 9 - 13.

• Meeting Time Decided!

Our next meeting been scheduled for Sunday the 7th of April, 8PM UTC, but as always, discussions will properly start up at around 8:15!!

• Like 2