• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Star Trek Book Club Anyone?

Cirus Almonaster V

ST Book Club Anyone?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a ST book discussion/ club on these forums?

• Yes, but just a discussion of books read or reading
    • Yes, as a book club (members decide the book to be read)
    • No, reading is for p'etaQs!

I have been reading a lot of ST books lately (The Romulan War ENT novel is one of the best sci-fi books I ever read). It really helps with the simming as a constant inspiration. 

So I was wondering if anyone is doing the same. If so, is anyone interested in starting up a ST book club here in the forums? 

It can either be deciding on a book or simply discussing books we have read or are reading. 

Do let me know if there is interest. 

I'd love a book club! I haven't even touched any Star Trek books, so having friends to read with would be a great motivator! 😄

I would be happy to recommend a few! Star Trek: Destiny is a fantastic trilogy, but now not exactly correct due to the Picard series. 

54 minutes ago, LuxaLorana said:

I'm definitely up for a book club! The New Frontier series is a good read! I also read one of the Starfleet Academy books years ago and it was good! 

I love the New Frontier series!

• Like 2

This topic ran away with me during the tournament on Denali. I just finished the Romulan War Book 1 (incredible). I don't want to throw out any spoilers but it reads great, with a good spoonful of sadness since it is, essentially, what ENT could or should have been. Damn they messed up so so so very badly with that Xindi/time war bull. 

I see that many of you requested a book read among all. Not sure where to go but let me just throw out what I have in the reading pot here. 

1. Imzadi
  2. Section 31: Cloak
  3. The Lost Years 
  4. The Eugenics Wars 
  5. Spock's World 

Want to read:

1. Titan series (though I do not like that they rechristened the ship in Picard)
  2. New Frontier 
  3. Avatar 
  4. Oooor something else as fast as Amazon or thriftbooks can deliver!

In other news: I read the Destiny series, new it was a big deal. But I can't remember enough to really know. On the other hand, remember just enough to not read it again. 

In the spirit of making the choice of a book easier for all of us, who might want to read along together, I suggest putting it down to a vote 🤣 Perhaps putting a priority list of 3 books we'd like to read, and then a book that receives more votes of a higher priority is selected?

In terms of organization, how are we thinking the Book Club should function? Since most of us voted that we want to read the same book, logic would dictate (look at me, being all Vulcan xD), that our reading should be done within a timeframe so we can gather and discuss the book without having to worry about accidentally getting spoiled/spoiling our fellow readers.

Are we thinking of reading the entirety of a book between sitdowns, or checking in with others more frequently, and perhaps taking a couple of chapters at a time?

(I am an organizational nutcase. Forgive me xD)

Im crazy late to this but I’m totally down! I reviewed the first of the Star Trek: Coda series for my job last year plus I’m always reading something or other. 

• Like 1

I put up some suggestions- but that's my reading bin, by all means input, decide and let's get a reading. 

Right now, continuing Eugenics Wars Book 1- its got Gary Seven in it! You know Gary Seven? The Doctor Who rip-off that was supposed to be a pilot. Sweet. 

• Like 2

I wonder if discussions will occur here in the forums, discord, or both. I feel that the forum is a much clearer and permanent record. But I leave it to the emerging group. 

(Really happy I thought this up, by the way)

The way I think is the best way to go about it, is that all the 'formal decision' (if one can call them that XD) are posted in here. So what book are we reading, what chapters are we reading for next time, when's the next Book Club 'Meeting'. That way, we avoid the important things getting lost to conversations (which is what Discord is for xD)

I'm thinking the Actual Book Club Meets should be handled on Discord though, since there's a far more 'conversational feel' to Discord's live chatting, as opposed to the Forum. Those are my ideas, anyways xD

(On that note! Anyone late to this topic, we're currently having a vote-off in the 'Book Club'-thread of the Spoiler-Room channel on Discord. Come join us! :D )

• Like 2

Note to All

The vote for the first book to be read in the Book Club is still going for another 7 or 8 hours, so if you still have interest in joining and want an influence on the first book we read, get on into the 'Book Club'-thread of the spoiler-room chat on Discord, and make a 'heart'-reaction on the book you like :D 

Once the vote is concluded, I will make an update to this thread listing the chosen book!

Edited by Ensign Sadar
  • Like 3

Vote Concluded

• The Book

The book unanimously voted on for the Book Club for their first reading project is "Avatar (Book One)", written by S.D. Perry in 2001. Avatar is a duology, and are considered the first two novels in the DS9 book relaunch. The Avatar-storyline picks up three months after the Series' Finale of Deep Space 9, and multiple important characters used in later novels are introduced in these books. The book blurb as listed on Amazon.com reads as such:

"In the uneasy ceasefire following the Dominion War, a surprise attack cripples Deep Space 9, killing hundreds and threatening the peace of the galaxy, as Colonel Kira Nerys and her fellow survivors struggle to prevent all-out war and protect Captain Sisko's unborn child, and Captain Picard and his crew make a startling discovery that could forever alter the destiny of all concerned."

All Book Club Members who wish to join in this reading should procure this book as soon as possible in the format you wish to use. For those of us who opt for a physical copy, please share your Estimated Time of Delivery with the rest of the group, so we can start having a sense of when the reading can begin, and when we can log in our first Book Club Meeting.

• First Reading

Now that we're looking at actually getting to read, I think it prudent to begin discussing how many chapters we think it plausible any one of us can read in the span of 2-3 weeks (which is how often I personally suggest Meet-Ups should be conducted.) Please take into account your general reading speed on daily basis and give a reasonable and realistic forecast of this, as the last thing we want is for people to feel that reading becomes a chore, and something that just adds unnecessary stress in an already busy IRL schedule.

Avatar (Book One) spans (as best I can tell from the digital copy I've got) 20 chapters over 320 pages, which means an 'average' of pages per chapter at 16 pages.

Taking the above into account, I suggest a reading speed of 3 or 4 chapters per meeting. Feel free to weigh in with your opinions on this either here or on the thread in Discord! :D I hope everyone's excited, and can't wait to start reading.

• Like 2

First Book Club Meet - "Avatar (Book One)" by S.D. Perry

• Designated Reading

Our first reading endeavour for "Avatar (Book One)" has been decided to encompass Prologue (Page 3-16), Chapter 1 (Page 17-28), Chapter 2 (Page 29-40) & Chapter 3 (Page 41-55). We have decided on this because an average projected reading speed of 48 - 64 pages seems reasonable for everyone to manage in a two-week period, but if you find during this week that this isn't working for you, please reach out to us in the Discord thread, so we can account for this next time. :D

OBS: Note that it is NOT mandatory to stick to our reading schedule. You may read faster or slower than the rest of us, if you wish, but keep in mind that our discussions in the Book Club thread will be conducted with the above reading pace in mind. This means that, if you read FASTER, please refrain from spoiling the contents of the book for the rest of us, and if you read SLOWER, enter at your own risk, as our Book Club meetings will likely contain spoilers for your own reading.

• First Meeting

We haven't yet decided on what day we shall meet, but a vote is currently ongoing in the thread on Discord to decide on the day and time where most can attend. Please head on over there to give your two cents, so we can decide on a meeting time where (ideally) all of us can attend.

OBS: It is NOT mandatory to show up at the beginning of the Meeting - you can drop in whenever you want - but I will endeavour to have a semblance of order or topics we can discuss for whenever we meet, so it becomes a fun and engaging time for everyone :) 

• Like 1

First Book Club Meet - "Avatar (Book One)" by S.D. Perry

(Now with Meeting Date!!)

• Designated Reading

Our first reading endeavour for "Avatar (Book One)" has been decided to encompass Prologue (Page 3-16), Chapter 1 (Page 17-28), Chapter 2 (Page 29-40) & Chapter 3 (Page 41-55).

OBS: Note that it is NOT mandatory to stick to our reading schedule. You may read faster or slower than the rest of us, if you wish, but keep in mind that our discussions in the Book Club thread will be conducted with the above reading pace in mind. This means that, if you read FASTER, please refrain from spoiling the contents of the book for the rest of us, and if you read SLOWER, enter at your own risk, as our Book Club meetings will likely contain spoilers for your own reading.

• First Meeting

Timezones have come to ruin our lives once more, my fellow Book Enthusiasts! 😤

The most popular option for our first meeting (since the majority of our readers apparently work on a European Time Schedule) is Wednesday the 18th of October, 7PM UTC. Anyone who can are welcome to join!

Our beloved American readers are - of course - welcome to add their two cents once they're able, and anyone still around at such a time are more than welcome to keep the discussion going.

Edited by Ensign Sadar

Perhaps we could create a thread in the forum (best after the discord 'meeting') for those who aren't able to attend to leave their thoughts as well or continue the discussion? 

• Like 2