• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Poll of the Month: New Year, New Me!

Genkos Adea

New Year, New Me  

13 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to change duty post, which duty post would you change to?

• HCO
    • Security/Tactical
    • Engineering
    • Science
    • Medical
    • Counselling
    • Intel
    • Something else (let us know in the comments!)

Happy New Year! Have you made your resolutions yet? I have; to do better at the poll of the month! How am I going to do this? By considering which duty post I would like to do, if I wasn’t already a doctor… and I’m going to urge you to do the same! New year, new me and all that.

So, let’s start off with the red-shirts! Helm/Com/Ops offers a chance to explore the galaxy as a pilot, whilst also being the first to hear the goings on at the bridge, and keep in touch with the life of the ship at Ops. It’s really the catch-all role; one to suit all your variable needs!

Security and Tactical is more than just going pew-pew; it’s also about preventing the need to go pew-pew on in the first place. You’ll also be the first to lead investigations, defend away teams and make sure that everyone is up to date on their training; there’s more to firing a phaser than just pointing and shooting (not much, but still!)

Engineering is critical to making sure the ship doesn’t fall apart (literally), and perhaps crawling around in Jefferies’ tubes, getting down and dirty in the bowels of the ship could be your new jam!

Science; the final frontier (that’s the saying, right?) - do you look good in blue? Or do you just really like tricorders? Science is a great place to discover new things about the galaxy, and about yourself.

I may be biased, but everyone should be a doctor - then nobody would get injured, and if they do; at least we are sorted! We also get cooler tricorders than Science, with removable doohickeys, and cool teal coats.

Want to make sure the ship doesn’t fall apart (metaphorically) - join the ranks of Starfleet’s counsellors. Are you a friendly ear; a good listener; do you give good advice? Then perhaps you can avoid the dangers of the front lines (well, sometimes) and listen to those that do’s problems?

Now there’s a few roles that I can’t go into as much detail for; Intelligence, the Marines, civilians, but if you are thinking of doing a new character, or swapping your existing character, into one of those, or any of the above; we want to hear about it in the comments below!

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I've changed duty post BUT i guess a 180º change to security/tactical could be a really interesting change and see a perspective SUPER different from what i've written so far

• Like 2

Between my PC, Secondaries and PNPCs, I have actually written as several of these. There are some I know are beyond me, like Science (mad respect to those who can write for that dp), but if it was a matter of being kicked out of the FO role and having to pick a new duty post (Serala started as Security and Tactical), I think I would want to go back to Strategic Operations, a role I wrote for Serala before becoming First Officer. It was a very interesting role to me that combined some of the duties of Intelligence and Tactical to provide an overview of whatever situation we were heading into, along with a bigger picture of the campaign region we're in.

• Like 1

I like being in Science, but I also considered Nursing when I joined the Academy. There aren't any active PC nurses currently as far as I can see, and has ever been only a few. I think it's an underused and underappreciated field in Starfleet. There are only a few nurses named in canon, and they don't really make it to the main cast. I've heard Nurse Chapel got a bigger role in SNW, which sounds cool, but I haven't seen it yet so I can't tell. And here in SB118, nobody really bothers to mention nursing in the duty post lists, not to mention there isn't even proper wiki page for the duty post! I guess people see nursing as lesser to medical and just go there when given the choice, and they might get pressured to switch to medical if they raise in rank enough. I opted to science due to its flexibility and the fact that I know something about how to do science, but I have little idea what nurses normally do, particularly compared to medical officers.

Has there been a duty post I haven’t written for?? 🤔

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Sal Taybrim said:

Has there been a duty post I haven’t written for?? 🤔

b51.jpg

• Haha 3

For me it depends on the character and their story! But as a huge fan of Janeway, I think it would have to be science. But I do hope to write a security/tactical PNPC eventually, as I think that department must be so much fun to write in! I'm picking two. Science or Security/Tactical!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lt Aine Olive Sherlock said:

b51.jpg

Challenge accepted!  😂

• Haha 4

I'm surprised that Counselling (what I chose) is actually in the lead!

• 2 weeks later...

I mean, I only joined Science for the cool tricorders, so obviously I've gotta swap to Medical now to get the coolest tricorders!