• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

[2008: MAR-APR] Writing Challenge Discussion

Jordan aka FltAdmlWolf

I beg to differ....

heh heh heh

Slight impressions of footprints in the snow were the defining compass marking Amitola's morning path to where she had placed her newest statue to stand as a silent sentinel to the meadow. Her beautiful ringlets of serpents slithered and hissed around her face as she stood before it, gazing at the cold stone creature. She whispered into the breeze, "He wanted sweetness and spice of my youth, but in his lust, he found my grit and steel. "

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jhen Thelev Posted Today, 11:42 AM

I beg to differ....

heh heh heh

*lmao* Yeah the exception to the rule, which is not set in stone either. *lol*

That story is a good example of the way my stories evolve. (A.K.A. The inner workings of a warp mind. :wacko9: ) It started out as a story about my grandmother, but I had changed it and made a short fictional love story. When I read the criteria of that particular challenge, it immediately popped in my head. So I re-adapted it and thus the Medusa story.

Just a little side note: Amitola is a Indian name meaning Rainbow.

Job done.

I deliberately put off reading anyone elses entry until I'd posted mine so I apologise if anyone else has had the same premise.

At least I can go read the other stories now!

Hello Everyone

Thanks for all your help. I "tried" to add a reply to my entry to put the arrow on it. Hopefully it's there. If not could someone direct me on how to do it right in the future.

Well, looking at it, I think there may be some confusion. In my deparate attempts to find the right icon, I think there may be a heart and a arrow now, but I'm clueless. It's supposed to be an arrow.

Boy do I feel like a screw ball! LOL hehehehe

You have the arrow on the second one, and that tells the judges that it's finished. :smilie2:

Just got back, but got absolutely zero writing done on either train journey...

The screaming kids in the three rows immediately behind me killed any chance of concentrating on the way there and I was half asleep on the journey back :(

Good good...

I now have a beginning, an ending written and a few random sketches courtesy of more train journey time, so hopefully WILL get my entry in for once! :D

I'm expecting to rely quite heavily on my ability to describe, I'm struggling to see how a significant amount of dialogue will add a lot to the first half of the story...

My first couple of lines as they currently read (as a teaser ;)) :

The swirling gases engulfed the ship, the golden glow for which the Nebula had been named drowning out even the faintest shimmer of stars beyond its realm. The vessel was now little more than a battered shell as she drifted helplessly; her hull buckled, her systems dead and her crew nothing more than mere ghosts.

I might redraft it to hold the drifting ship back a few lines, just describe the nebula at first. We'll see.

Edited by Salak

Jhen Thelev Posted Today, 04:10 PM

toni - sounds like a great way to write to me! I sometimes need to jot down some extra details (character names and suchlike) before i can get going, otherwise i tend to keep ideas bouncing around in my head but it's not utill i actually start writing that they come together.

I have to just get a few key words onto the screen before I can even start... I also have to work on my details and descriptions that seems to be my week point..

I don't choose the final name's for the characters until the story is completed. This gives me the option of writing "Ann" but if she turns out to be a Brandy, then I can change it easily. It's like the Klingon story I wrote last year that won. The story started out as to be about Terrans, but the Klingon characters evovle in the writing. I don't set anything in stone.

I some storys (for me) it is just the characters name that creates the story (that is what I am tending toward more so these days)... I try to depict the name of the character in such a way that their name describes there action/role...

----

excellent start Salak- I can't wait to see your story - (no fair teasing us ;) )

I think that everyone has their own way of doing things according to what "feels" right to them. The same holds true with writing styles. There is not wrong or right way when it comes to expressing ourselves clearly, except for using good grammar and sentence structure.

Oh dear, Salak, now you've gone and done it.

you'll have to submit an entry now, else you'll have a whole bunch of unhappy people who are looking forward to reading it.

With its current status, I hope it'll be up by this weekend, never mind next one...

I've finally got a page, 2-3 more pages to go :smilie2:

anyways to give you an idea, how much mine sucks:-

Drake Finley waited impatiently as he strode back and forth viewing at what was a lovely spring day at his residence. The aging man stared admiring the marvelous matured gardens. The trees and shrubs were basking in the glorious sun; though the peaceful gardens didn't represent what was really happening in the world today.

That's quite good Syrak, don't do yourself down!

2-3 pages to go!? Think mine's only a page long...

I'm just checking... I have a week and a day to post to the contest, right?

Yup... :)

Edited by Salak

Good, because I had quite a bit to drink last night and so won't be getting mine out today I expect.

what? you mean you had two whole shandies?

anyway, i wrote most of my best essays at uni whilst hungover...

most of my worst ones, too, but that's besides the point.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.