• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

[2005: NOV-DEC] Writing Challenge Discussion

Jordan aka FltAdmlWolf

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow...this is a toughy...so who's going to brave this one?

Without warp drive, we'd take forever to get anywhere. Thus ST would not be as appealing as it is as most of the time it would be the same few people on 1 ship without any interaction from outside... no planets, no contact with outside species (inc. Vulcans)!?

Without Warp Drive, I'd probably not be a trekkie, and I'd probably not be here.

I might have a try, but don't expect one from me...

I've got an idea I'm fleshing out on this...

Of course, for those interested...there's a book that deals with a similar situation (multiple planet "empire" who suddenly loses "warp" technology). Kind of interesting read.

Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, and Rise of Endymion. (Good read either way IMO)

Of course their "warp" technology is more similar to an interdimensional teleport system...but...

Anyway...good luck all...;)

are you suggesting some sort of a "flight of the Pheonix" style story?

Interestingly, it doesn't say Warp technology doesn't exist.  It just says that the writer is without it...

Indeed :whistling:

You can interpret the question however you please...

Guest kaldore1
Can't let an Ensign aboard beat her superior ;):P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, as you didn't have an entry in the last one, and I can't in this one, it wasn't/isn't truly competition. That said...it will be someday :devil: *evil laughter*

Though you will probably be a Junior Grade Lieutenant by then ;) I'd say someone got a lucky escape!

Just in case anyones wondering... we are working on getting out some feedback on last months writing challenge. Its me holding things up I'm afraid as I hurt my back and got flu and got busy with a million other things. But I will get them to you as soon as I can. Thanks for your patience!

Guest kaldore1

Ah, good. I was wondering about the feedback...thanks for clearing that up. And I just got over (am getting over) the flu as well, so I quite understand the delay there...

• 2 weeks later...

no but it doesn't harm your chances if its over 1000

At least you entered, you have to enter to win :P

As one of the judges, I think I can answer both questions.

Firstly, the new contest closes, I believe, on the 20th, so we'll be judging after that.

Secondly, a minimum word count. No there's no minimum word count. There's no minimum word count in a university essay either. But turning in less than the full amount is tantamount to asking for a reduction in a grade. In the four or five competitions I've judged, not one who's won has had a noticably short entry.

My advice is: put the work in, and ensure you've covered the topic as well and as descriptively as you can. Often, as is the case in sim, dialogue is fine, but description can be lacking.

Sir, I put a great deal of work and thought into all my work. My style is to be concised in painting the picture, giving the facts, and creating an even flow from beginning to ending.  Flowers are not my style so I will withdraw from the competition.

Don't withdraw... Just write something new if you feel your first effort wasn't up to par. But if you do, then leave it. Whether you win or lose, writing challenges are more about the process of writing. It's about stretching yourself beyond what you "normally" do, especially in SIMs. We want you to learn new ways to be creative, and use them on your ships where possible.

That being said, there is some truth to Rhys's comparison to a college essay. In the challenge, we'd accept a five-word story. But they'd better be mind-blowing to get us anywhere. The point he is making is that lesser can work, but what you sacrifice in length, you'd better make up for in quality.

But again, the point is not really to win or lose :) It's how much you're learning.

I don't feel that it is not up to par. I feel it just shows a different writing style, but evidently, style has nothing to do with the competition. Winning or losing does not matter. It's being able to express our thoughts in so many different ways.

Dear Ensign Turner

You misunderstood me. I did not say that shorter entries should not be accepted. Nor was it my intention to dissuade anyone from joining. Neither did I suggest that a shorter entry cannot win or be considered a competent entry. Just that the entries that have won in the past have tended towards the

Despite what you may have understood from my above post, I am a great believer in concision both in writing and in sim. I am also a great beliver in using all available resources be they the crew of our ships or a word limit of 3000 words. As Admiral Wolf said, a shorter entry will need to make up for not using the full 3000 words. There's a great difference between brevity and concision.

You are of course, correct. There is more to such a competition than winning. It's about the writing and about learning. That's why UFoP goes to a lot of trouble to put these on every second month. You say you've put a great deal of work into your entry. That's great. So surely it would be a shame to withdraw it now?

Of course, that's your decision. If you wish to withdraw, the judges will, reluctantly, respect your decision.

Kind regards

Commander Rhys Bejain

Writing Challenge Judge

PS. If you do wish to continue this discussion, feel free to PM me.

yeah you can...(I think)

Now now Mister Creed... I hope thats not an attempt to get Toni to withdraw so that you have less competition this month ;) I for one will enjoy seeing the mentor be against the student in a challenge :)

Relax a little everyone. Part of the problem here is again me not doing things I promised I would... I've been meaning to get a list of "what judges look for" out for months now. Stone me if you want, but I'm afraid people keep keeping me busy.

Toni, neither Admiral Wolf nor Cmdr Bejain were criticising your piece. They were speaking in general terms with aim of explaining that if a shorter piece wins a competition the said shorter piece would need to achieve what a longer piece does despite having fewer words. It would have to be good... to use your own words It would need to suceed in painting a picture without the flowers, but it would not win if it hadn't. Nobody here is commenting on whether or not your piece or anyone elses specifically.

As someone who's marked college essays I assure you that 2000 well written and constructed words that make several good points consicely will always score higher than 3,500 words that are full of irrelevant ramblings! When I say that, it does not mean that I believe any entries to the competition close to the upper word limit are unecessary ramblings...

And thats the point. Any piece can win. As Adm Wolf wished to explain: if you are happy with the piece then that is all that matters. So if you feel your piece was good, if its how you wanted it and if you feel you have successfully painted a field without flowers then by all means leave the piece as it is. I can assure you the judges always read every piece in its entirety... I even read a piece a few competitions ago by Lt Rocket that over shot the upper word limit by five times and I still considered it and offered feedback.

There is a South-American writer -Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who can do in two or three pages what other authors take an entire novel to do. His short stories are stunning and his novel "one hundred years of solitude" has moments where he outlines the life and times of a character in two pages yet you learn so much about the setting, the character, their thoughts and emotions. If you feel a short piece of writing has achieved something similar then let it stand and it has a good chance of winning.

The Japanese have a form of Poetry known as Haiku. Suppose I set a writing challenge asking you all to write a piece:

"considering news media, issues in the modern world and how it affects us in our everyday life."

You could write me a 3 volume book, you could write me a 3000 word short story.... or you could write the following Haiku poem:

the morning paper

harbinger of good and ill

- - I step over it

Were that a 12 word entry in such a writing challenge the competition would have to be mighty strong. Despite being only 12 words -that haiku would take hours of work to construct so poignantly.

Remember, every reader and every judge will take something diferent from your writing. As a writer you all need to consider what you take from your own writing. That is the real beauty of entering this writing challenge. If you're unhappy with a piece post a new version, if you are happy then let it stand as a testament to what you believe you achieved. It doesn't matter what others say -not everybody likes a certain piece of music or artist, but its by no means either good or bad because of that.

Whats important is that you all enjoy writing what you write and reading one another's entries.

Edited by Rocar Drawoh

haha I'll admit I'm Abstaining from this month's competition because the question stomps me...I can't think of ANYTHING to write. with only 18 days left its highly unlikely I'll get something together.

And I was not encouraging Ms Turner to withdrawl :P I was merely highlight the fact that it was possible to edit IF she wanted to so :D

Edited by Ajescent

funny thing, no word of a lie.

As soon as i finished writing that post, I was struck by an idea. Might be something...might be nothing but its an idea none the less. :)

And as for me being scared of Ms Turner...HELL YEAH you did read the presentation on the Borg right?

Edited by Ajescent

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.