• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

[2007: SEP-OCT] Writing Challenge Discussion

Jordan aka FltAdmlWolf

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've got an idea at least. Took me a day or two but got an inspiration walking home from the local shop the other day, lol. Not sure it's a great idea but I'll give it a shot at fleshing it out.

Could be a good topic to write on, wonder how many entries we'll get this time?

Edited by Salak

Thought I'd actually dust off the ol' thinking machine and get writing. It's been a while!

Nearly done a draft, I'll post it up once I'm finished for some constructive criticism and some explanatory notes...

Some explanatory notes for my story, in case anyone is interested. I only really wrote the notes for myself, but it might help people see what i was trying to do.

COMMENTARY

The story is unusual in that we never actually see the titular character. The story is about her, but she never utters a line or appears on the page. That said, she is a constant presence. The characters are always referring to her and she’s always ‘in the next room’. Even though I deliberately didn’t write her physically interacting with any of the characters, I wanted to express the importance she had on all of them, which is why they always have a need to keep their voices down, for example. Even though Els isn’t in the room with them, they are constantly aware of her being.

The story consists of three separate conversations and it deals with a variety of topics. The primary concern is with the upbringing and identity of Els/Sess - she is a Cardassian girl but she looks Bajoran and has been raised as such. I have chosen to answer the question ‘what are little girls made of’ by looking at the nature vs. nurture argument - what will she be when she grows up?

The story also looks at the relationship between the Cardassians and the Bajorans after the occupation, through the eyes of the characters. I’ve tried to use their feelings and emotions to show the progress of the link between these two different races - in the first scene there are primarily feelings of fear and anger, in the second we sense regret and acknowledgement and finally, in the third piece, acceptance and peace, with a nod towards the future.

hey Wolfie.

I've had problms with my submission, the swear filter has censored a couple of innocent words that definitely weren't obsceneties. In fact, they were part of other words.

I there any way round this? i've already edited one word out.

You can insert one or two spaces into the word to throw off the censor, as long as the entire word is innocent.

Grand.

i'll have to remember for next time as it won't let me in to edit now. still, i don't think it makes too much of a difference.

Edited by Jhen Thelev

How come none of the Ronin's crew have entered this bi-month? We wouldn't want the rest of the fleet to feel that we aren't participating in the larger community, would we? Come on guys, let's get our act together and join in on the fun...

Oh, wait... We already comprise 75% of the competition, there're still 19 days to go, and everyone knows Cara Maria, Ben Walker, and Toni Turner/Kassa Quay usuallly compete as well. My bad.

As per usual, I've realised my idea is rubbish, won't stand a chance and thus haven't really developed it for entry.

Anyone else want to try from indy though, would love to see it...

As per usual, I've realised my idea is rubbish, won't stand a chance and thus haven't really developed it for entry.

negative waves, man, negative waves....

you've still got time to enter, you might be suprised and find everyone else disagrees with you about your story being naff.

I guess that's true Jhen.

And my Writing Challenge entries have never been to the standard of my simming. I might do but don't expect me to enter.

Ahh go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on.

Edited by Jhen Thelev

*chuckles*

If I do, it'll be far from my best piece of writing. We'll see. I'll try and find some time between simming, wiki'ing, foruming, societies, essay writing, lectures... :P

lol!

Well I'm out of town this weekend seeing family, my bro MIGHT let me write it when he's asleep. I've had a setting for ages but not really a proper plot to go with it. I could likely write a good piece of descriptuion on what I've got but not a good story at the mo. That's the situation I normally find myself in.

Well, well, well

This isn't exactly my thing, but I've finally completed my story so I guess Starbase 118 Ops has one enrty to it's name.

Best of luck to you all.

Weller

Ok, I've planned my entry in 3 segments. I need to work out how they'll link up yet but got it sketched out. Got a first draft for the first bit (written on the train on Thurs evening!) but want to rewrite that to keep some information back for the other two segments. Hopefully I'll get it all together in the coming week.

Edited by Salak

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.