• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Star Trek unpopular opinions

So I thought this might be a fun little discussion. What is your most unpopular opinion about Star Trek? Perhaps something you like that everyone else hates or visa versa?

Mine would be the final episode of Enteprise 'These Are the Voyages...', so many people seem to hate it but I think it's great.

• I thought it was smart doing a time jump, Enterprise didn't feel ready to end with where they had got at that point in the show and it allows for stories to take place both before and after the episode.
  • I thought having it be a holodeck activity for Riker was clever for three reasons:
    - Firstly it gave everyone the opportunity to have some meaningful screentime, not an easy feat considering it was a regular length episode.
    - Secondly I like that Riker was inspired by the Enterprise crew to do the right thing.
    - Thirdly, combined with the time jump it makes it easy to pick up stories before or after, it's a holodeck program, it's not going to be 100% accurate so you can explain away any plot holes either with the episode itself or created by any other stories.
  • Picking up on that second point, TNG is pretty much the seen as the standard bearer for Star Trek. Where as some see it as disrespectful to the Enterprise cast and crew I saw it as a great tribute, the Enterprise crew inspiring Riker to do the right thing and the reverence that Riker and to some degree Troi showed towards the Enterprise crew and their role in what would ultimately become the Federation. It connected Enterprise to the larger Star Trek family and in-universe showed how all those that came after them were inspired by the adventures of the NX-01.
  • It was also the first time in all of Enterprise and much of Star Trek where I was actually worried about what would happen to a character. Trip is far from being my favourite Star Trek character, Archer isn't near the top of my list either but the episode did a great job of building suspense and making me think one or both of their lives were actually at risk.

• Like 2

Less discussion here than I was hoping but this one has got to get a reaction.

I like Jellico. You heard me. He was the Captain and he was trying to get his ship and crew ready for a potential war, he needed to get stuff done, he was direct but I don't think unfair or rude, in fact he spent quite a bit of time explaining himself to others, also respect for getting Troi into a uniform. 

image.png

• Like 2

One problem: I can't disagree with you on Jellico. Okay, two problems; I've only seen parts of the first season of Enterprise, so I can't discuss that with any type of knowledge. 

I like Doctor Pulaski and wished she would have stayed on TNG

• Like 2

I think they did both Doctors dirty for TNG. She was going to be the doctor on DS9, but we know how that turned out. 

16 hours ago, Sal Taybrim said:

I like Doctor Pulaski and wished she would have stayed on TNG

I have nothing about Gates McFadden but I found Pulaski infinitely more interesting than Crusher. They never seemed to do anything with Crusher and when they did it just felt empty. Pulaski didn't get much in terms of character focus but she got some great dialogue and character interactions.