• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

OOC: Don K, writer behind V'Len Kel has taken the NPC prosecutor in an inquiry into certain actions by Wes Greaves.  I read this post and went 'wow'.  Like Wes likes to say, he's "killing it".  Great job! 

Oh, and I left his ooc comment because I thought it was amusing. 😄

IC:

(OOC - If you hate this character then I'm doing my job.  If you don't hate him let me know what it would take to make you hate him.)

(( Conference Room, Deck One, USS ‘Oumuamua ))

Walking into the room Ress ch'Reiji sat himself across the table from the advocate, a Bajoran woman who he hoped would zealously do her job.  He had been given one clear objective by his benefactors who had manipulated him to be the prosecutor at this inquest.  Discredit the Marines.  The man himself, Major Was Greaves, was of no consequence and if he lost or kept his position it did not matter.  What did matter was making sure public opinion turned against the use of marine detachments on Starfleet vessels.

His benefactors came in two stripes, first the peaceniks types.  Betazoids and Vulcans and the like who idealized the last century when Starfleet was a diplomatic and exploratory organization.  A pan-galactic war and countless invasions later Starfleet had come to resemble so many groups it claimed to stand apart from.  The other set of benefactors came from his own home world, Andoria.  Andoria had been the seat of a great empire whose warriors rivaled the Klingons in their prowess and battle tenacity.   The forebears of the current government had agreed to lay down arms and join with the humans in peace and understanding.  And here two and a half centuries on the humans made up the bulk of Starfleet and its marines with the Andorians known only for their art schools and skiing.  That needed to change in the mind of his benefactors.  If the Federation was going to become an empire, then the people who knew about empire and military might, Andorians, should be at the helm.  

His pale skin glistened slightly with sweat in the warmth of the conference room, which was much too hot for his liking.  He was no Aenar of course, he was simply old.  He'd been arguing in courts across the Federation for better than 50 years and this was to be his final opus.  It was time to get on with it.

Greaves: Major Wes Greaves reporting as ordered, ma’am.

V’Airu: Just so. Greaves, please sit.

She indicated the seat opposite her.  The human was impressive.  Overgrown and likely on a hair trigger much of the time.  Ress expected he could exploit this.  

Greaves: Aye aye, ma’am.

His decorations glinted as he took his seat, and Ossa raised one brow no more than a millimeter. A successful point, made entirely nonverbally.

V’Airu: Major, Counselors. The hearing will now commence. Defense?

Renora: Thank you, Ma’am. ::Standing:: Captain Renora Loret, Starfleet Marine Corps., Judge Advocate Division. I am appearing for Major Wes Greaves as counsel and advocate during this inquest.

V'Airu: Thank you, Captain. Prosecution?

Ress: My name is Ress ch'Reiji. It's interesting that the major would require an advocate and that you, Commodore, would call me a prosecutor.  ::Looking at Greaves and raising an eyebrow:: I'm simply here to listen to your story.  That you need an advocate however, suggests you are not as confident in the decisions you made at Okaea.  I look forward to hearing your tale.  

He sat back and nodded to V'Airu.  

V'Airu: Thank you.

Her gaze settled squarely on Greaves, and a hint of disappointment crept into her voice as she addressed him directly.

V'Airu: These proceedings are voluntary. Major, do you wish to continue?

Greaves: I understand my rights and wish to participate. I owe that at least to those who didn’t make it home.

V’Airu: Very well.

Ress: ::softly, but loud enough:: The triple digit number of people who didn't make it home.

The Bajoran jumped in.  

Renora: If it please the chair, before we begin, I would like to ask Major Greaves if there is anything about the process he would like to clarify regarding this process?

Greaves: I have to admit, this is my first time with something like this. How do these proceedings usually go? Am I here to defend myself, or is this just a fact-finding process?

Renora was already upright and ready to answer, though she looked to Ossa first to ask permission. Ress suppressed a small smile.  The whole cast was already in defense mode.  Already worried and second guessing themselves.  That Starfleet felt the Marine XO needed "defending" for his decisions would speak volumes in the Federation press corp.

Renora: If I may, Ma’am? Major Greaves, this is not a dissimilar process to a coroner’s inquest or a medical morbidity and mortality conference. The aim of this inquest is to establish the timeline of events that led to the near destruction of the USS Thor and the loss of life associated with that. The decisions that were taken, by whom, and under what circumstances, what lessons can be learned and how repetition can be avoided.

Renora concluded with another, perhaps slightly more deferential look to Ossa. However, Ossa found she had little to add.

V'Airu: All correct. This is SOP for the full or partial loss of a capital ship. (Beat) However. There is an additional element to these proceedings. (beat) If you are to be my executive officer, Major, then I wish to review your arrested command of the Thor in full detail.

Ress again suppressed a smile. That V'Airu would continue Kell's poor judgment a man who brought down a starship could call her judgment into question.

Prosecutor: ::Gently:: As I've already stated, I just want to hear your story and the story of the other officers involved in this tragic and deadly turn of events.  

Greaves: Responses

Renora: Should there be grounds for further action then that will be taken forward by the Judge Advocate General as appropriate.

V'Airu: We don't anticipate that to be the case.

This was said with a pointed glance at both counselors Ress jumped in immediately.

Prosecutor:  Commodore with all due respect if I am the prosecutor and she ::gesturing:: is the advocate, I must ask you to remain impartial.  When you say "We don't anticipate that to be the case."  it sounds as if you have made up your mind about the Major's actions in advance.  :: gruffly:: This is a warning, but if needed I can find a more impartial 3rd party to conduct these proceedings.  ::calmly:: Let us all proceed with an open mind.

Renora: And my role is to advise you on legal matters and legislation, ensure that you are given the opportunity to speak fully and clearly and that your rights, as an individual, are respected.

Ress:  ::smiling:: Still here to listen.  

Thus preempted, Ossa waited a few moments for silence, and then asked her first question.

V'Airu: You were ultimately able to retain command of the Thor, even once it crashed on Okaea. However. You made the decision to order full evacuation prior to deorbiting. Why?

Ress immediately jumped over the Commodore's question.

Ress:  Before we get to that Commodore, for the record I want to make sure we are all clear on what happened at Okaea.  The USS Thor was ambushed by some very savy pirates who not only injured Commodore Aron Kells, but who also caused the Thor to crash land in the Okaea ocean.  While not a total loss the USS Thor will need a lengthy rehabilitation.  While under Major Greaves command 120 individuals lost their lives and a further 200 were injured, some severely.  I don't say this to dredge up bad memories, but merely to make sure we all, for the record, understand the incident we are here to discuss.  (beat) Now I would like to go back a bit further than the commodore and hear about your training Major Greaves.  How long were you part of Starfleet Academy's command training program?

V'Airu/Greaves/Renora: Responses

Ress:  ::sighing:: It is highly relevant.  You see Major Greaves is wearing a Marine green uniform, not Command red.  Starfleet regulations are clear that command officers need to train in the command discipline and, for the record, I'd like to hear about Major Greaves command training.

It wasn't the answer Ress had wanted, but perhaps a follow up would help the press see the man's motivation

Ress: So you did attend Starfleet Academy (beat) after you spent some time in the Marines.  A warrior first eh Major?  ::smiling:: Very good.

Ress:  My apologies Commodore V'Airu for the digression, I simply wanted to (beat) capture all these facets.  So Major, why did you make the decision to order full evacuation prior to deorbiting?

Tags! and TBC!

--
Lieutenant JG V’Len Kel
Medical Officer
USS Thor (NCC-82607)
T239811VK2
He/Him (character and player)