• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Della Vetri & S'Kahh Rossh: Modification Discussion

Lupo

((Embassy, Ambassadorial Kitchen))

Vetri: Ah, they're not usually that bad. ::gesturing to a seat at the counter:: So, what did you actually come here to talk to me about?

Rossh: Just a matter I wanted to bring to the Admiral, but I wanted a second opinion - politically speaking - before I did. I really shouldn't intr... ::The thought that had been nagging in the back of his head finally came to the forefront.:: ..wait, did you say fuzzy dice earlier?

:: The idea of political ramifications gave her a solid idea why he'd come to her, but that was put on hold for a moment as she gave him a quick grin over the rim of her coffee mug.::

Vetri: Nope. Why would I?

::The feline featured officer gave the Admiral a long appraising look before speaking.::

Rossh: To mess with my head?

Vetri: I take my amusements where I can find them. ::chuckling:: Don't worry about it. Tell me what this thing you want a second opinion on is.

Rossh: Alright.

::He moved to lean against the nearby counter as he assembled exactly what he was about to say into some form of cohesive order.::

Rossh: I think we are making a mistake in how we are currently dealing with the Laudeans.

Vetri: Oh?

:: There didn’t seem to be more she could really think of to say at that point. Not without more data, which she was expecting he’d get around to providing in due course.::

::S’Kahh wasn’t exactly sure where to start, he wasn’t used to discussing sociology with non-sociologists. He fell back on what he already knew, and had discussed before.::

Rossh: I don't suppose you're familiar with a paper I wrote while I was at the academy, on the topic of how Music can both influence a society’s development and be used as a sociological barometer?

Vetri: I regret to say… no. Not even remotely.

:: Not that he seemed all that bothered by this admission.::

Rossh: Don't worry, outside of sociologists I don't think it's exactly a blockbuster hit. ::He half smiled.:: However it recently occurred to me that it's something we need to consider in relation to our hosts.

:: He gestured towards the nearest window, indicating that he meant the Laudeans, and Della nodded thoughtfully as she sipped at her coffee again.::

Vetri: If you’re going to suggest some sort of world-altering rock concert, I’m not sure it’s a winner.

::The caitain half chuckled at that and shrugged.::

Rossh: Not quite, I don't mean the music side of it - I mean the influencing societal development part.

:: She didn’t say a word in reply, but the look she gave him over the rim of her mug was… eloquent.::

Rossh: I'm not talking about trying to engineer their society - rather to counteract another influence that... ..well, to be honest I should have realised before. Hell, I've felt its effects myself.

Vetri: Example?

Rossh: The Romulans.

::He watched the Ambassador's response to that, which mostly consisted of another thoughtful look, then nodded.::

Vetri: The Romulans that were here, but now better [...]ed well not be?

Rossh: They are indeed, mostly, gone - I'd be shocked if they don't have at least a few agents still monitoring this system. But the technology they left behind hasn't.

:: After a long moment of silence, Della shifted to actually sit at the counter instead of leaning against it, then motioned for him to continue.::

Rossh: Right now the Laudean people are going through a quiet technological revolution. Every week new technologies are being created right here. ::His tail flicked out as he started to get into the swing of his argument.:: We don't notice it because we are so used to these technologies ourselves. For example, did you know that last month a company introduced an anti-grav tractor here?

Vetri: I didn’t, no, but it doesn’t strike me as a particularly shattering development.

Rossh: Exactly, to us it's quaint - something you'd see on a remote colony. To the Laudeans it's a massive increase in agricultural productivity. Crops can be grown closer together without the need for agricultural vehicles to drive between them, making for better use of space.

Vetri: I’ll take your word for that. I’m not exactly up on agricultural techniques.

Rossh: Here on Duronis, they are reverse engineering old Romulan tech left behind to make these products. That means that the basic principles that Laudean tech now follow are those of the Romulans - not the Laudeans themselves.

Vetri: And this would be significant because…?

:: Not that she didn’t have some idea, but she wanted *his* take on it.::

Rossh: Technology influences how people think. You remember the vault we have under the Museum? Where we store artifacts not currently on display?

:: Since she was taking another mouthful of coffee at that moment, she just nodded. Then frowned a little and swallowed so she could speak.::

Vetri: It’s a leftover bit of architecture, isn’t it?

Rossh: Yes, it's an old Romulan construction - and the way it's built follows their design philosophy. When I authorised its expansion - I automatically followed that philosophy instead of our own, because it fit together better that way. If a federation architect had designed it, it would have at least two different lifts and a backup stairwell. But the Romulans built it with one - easy to defend against - lift. That way it could also be used as a bunker. We don't think like... ::The face of the Embassy's second in command floated into the Caitian's mind at that moment, and he corrected himself.:: ..most of us don't think like that.

Vetri: ::dryly:: Indeed.

Rossh: You see what I'm getting at.

Vetri: More or less. But we’re talking about an entirely different sort of thing, are we not?

::He sighed, nodding his agreement with that.::

Rossh: Well yes, tractors are hardly going to be a damaging influence. But I'm more getting at a different problem...

Vetri: Let me guess...

Rossh: Military hardware. Romulan tech lends itself to developing certain technologies, and those technologies lend themselves to certain tactics. And tactics influence strategy, and both tactics and strategy are dependant on how people are taught.

:: Yup. Pretty much where she’d come to think he was heading.::

Vetri: I’m not sure I’d completely agree with that, but I do see where you’re going.

::He stood, and met the ambassador’s gaze as he continued.::

Rossh: The Laudeans are, without realising it, potentially heading down a technological path that'll make it a requirement for them to adopt tactics like those the Romulans use to make best use of what they build.

Vetri: Assuming they don’t mix in any innovation or adaptation of their own. But remember that Romulan strategy and tactics grew out of their culture, not the other way around. They went with what they knew, and made it apply to other fields. ::Setting her mug down on the counter:: But I assume you have an idea as to how this trend might be… redirected?

Rossh: By changing tack in how we interact with the Laudean education system. I propose that we allow secondary, college and university students come to the Embassy to use and experiment with our equipment. We explain how it works, but only on the principle level - we give them the information they need to figure out how to make it on their own.

Vetri: Hmm. You’re talking about giving them the basic building blocks, but leaving them to work out what to do with them themselves?

Rossh: Exactly, we simply inspire the next generation of Laudean scientists and engineers to build the very tools they've used here for themselves - without having to resort to reverse engineering the way the Romulans would have done it. That means they'll be coming at it from their own angle, not the Romulans - or even ours.

:: Della thought it over, idly toying with her empty mug as she considered what he’d said. She could see merit in it, even though she was less convinced by the chain of reasoning he’d used to get there. But wasn’t that sort of the point? It was *his* way of getting to a solution, and whilst she’d have gotten there differently, that was simply the result of a different way of thinking.::

Vetri: Do you have any guesses as to the effectiveness of this idea?

Rossh: ::He shrugged.:: Honestly I don't know, that'll depend on the Laudeans themselves. I mean, sure, they'll have a certain level of influence from us - even if it's just designing the control systems to be like ours since that's what they'll have gotten used to using. But it should be enough to blunt the technological tendency to copy Romulan patterns.

Vetri: I’d agree with that much, though I’m not convinced it’s as big a problem as you seem to think it is. ::holding up a hand:: I’m not saying it *isn’t* something to consider.

Rossh: That’s fair enough, after all I did want to run this past you before taking it any further precisely because I wasn’t sure. I do however believe that it’s something we will have to confront at some point. ::He paused.:: No disrespect intended.

Vetri: I don’t shoot people for disagreeing with me before my second coffee of the day, so you’re safe.

:: Getting up, she snagged her mug and headed to the replicator to order up a refill. Once she had it, she turned back to him and smiled amiably.::

Vetri: Now, where were we… ::she let it hang for a second, then shrugged:: Assemble the idea about inviting students as a proposal, but I’d leave out the references to the Romulans. Present it as just an idea to help guide the Laudeans toward making their own technological developments in the future.

Rossh: So, drop the reasons behind it entirely?

Vetri: ::shaking her head:: I’m not suggesting ignore the reasoning that got you to the idea, S'Kahh. Just focus on the idea itself. If you get asked why you came up with it, then fair enough, but I wouldn’t lead with it. *Especially* to the Laudeans.

Rossh: I hadn’t planned on broadcasting that part too widely, though… ..I’d feel more comfortable if at least the Prime Minister was aware of the intent behind the program. Though, I realise it would probably be better to not simply not mention my reasoning at all?

::He made that statement into a question at the end, seeking reassurance that he wasn’t being overcautious, which Della thought was a reasonable precaution. She shook her head, though, again not quite agreeing with him.::

Vetri: If he asks, then give him your reasoning, but I’m thinking a slight spin on it might work better.

Rossh: Oh? How so?

Vetri: Gimme a moment, I’m thinking. Okay, how about this? The whole idea is to reduce the impact that the study of Romulan hardware has on Laudean technological development, by giving them another tech base to draw from. The whole idea is for them to draw their own conclusions from it all, and develop the way *they* want to. ::sipping at her mug for a moment:: Basically, present the whole deal as a chance for them to play with more toys, and choose from them what they want to work on.

Rossh: I can understand that, and I can do that as well.

Vetri: Just… don’t go into the social side of things unless you *really* have to. The Prime Minister may get what you mean, but there are a lot of other folks on this planet who will shave you bald for suggesting they might turn into Romulans.

:: Actually, she thought that would be a pretty mild reaction compared to some, but there was no need to dwell on that just now. The very idea of being shaved held a distinct horror for the feline featured scientist, somewhat equivalent to most species conception of being naked at a public event… ..bar Betazoids at least.::

Rossh: Your warning is well taken. While I don’t totally agree, I do understand your reasoning in turn - and I definitely don’t want to jeopardize our position here.

Vetri: ::nodding:: Fair enough. Write it up, send it on over, and I’ll take a look and see if anything needs tweaking before you go to Toni with it.

Rossh: Thank you, I’ll have it to you by… ::He considered for a moment.:: ..end of today?

Vetri: If you feel you can get it done by then without rushing, sure. Better to get this sort of thing done right than fast.

Rossh: Well, I suppose I’d better get back to work. I now have a lot of writing to do…

::He half smiled as he turned towards the door, tail swishing rather more relaxedly behind him.::

Vetri: And you might want to consider yourself very lucky about that.

Rossh: About which part?

:: With a grin, she drained her mug, then stuck it back in the replicator for recycling.::

Vetri: The part that has you behind a desk, as opposed to up to your armpits in a ship that may, at any given moment and for no reason but its own amusment, blow up. Or bits of it, at any rate.

Rossh: I don’t know about that… ..have you met my sister? Might remind me of home.

::He gave an overly toothy grin to that.::

Vetri: Your sister, Mr. Rossh, is not a theoretically inanimate lump of machinery. Random explosions are less of an expected thing with those. Now go. ::shooing him toward the door:: Scoot. Write. And steer clear of the landing bays.

Rossh: ::Saluting:: Aye Aye Ambassador.

::And with that he headed towards the door, and back out into the embassy grounds.::

TBC

--------------------
Ambassador Della Vetri
Diplomatic Officer
Embassy of Duronis
Author ID O238506DV0

&

Lt Cmdr S’Kahh Rossh
Chief Science Officer
Duronis II Embassy - USS Thunder A
Author ID: E238907SR0

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.