• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Commander Karynn Brice - Consciousness

Yalu

((Karynn’s Quarters))

::The first thing she noticed was how dark it was. In the pitch-blackness, for a moment she wasn’t sure whether her eyes were closed or she had lost her sight or the room was just really dark. The second thing she noticed was the pain. Her head throbbed. It felt like it had been caught between a hammer and an anvil. Or a spike had been driven through it.::

::A moment passed by and she determined that yes her eyes were open. But she still wasn’t sure if that meant that her sight was gone or the room was just that dark. She felt nauseous. And dizzy. She put her hand to her head and felt warm sticky liquid.::

Brice: Computer, Lights.

::The room lights blazed forth in full splendor and suddenly the Haliian officer realized that her request had been a mistake. And that her eyes were working just fine. She quickly shut her eyes as her head throbbed even more than it had been. At least it had helped her figure out where she was - she was laying on the floor of her quarters, not far from her coffee table.::

Brice: Computer, lights 5%.

::The lights dimmed significantly. Karynn tried to remember how she had gotten there. Part of a memory flitted back to her.::

((FLASHBACK - Shuttle Portobello))

Brice: ::activating the link again:: =/\= Commander Brice to the Bridge, we’re ready to depart. =/\=

((END FLASHBACK))

::She and her group had departed from the Drake, listening to the comms chatter as they went. She remembered being excited at their opportunity for an up-close flyby on the new species. But they hadn’t been gone long when something else had happened. She found herself in another world.::

((DREAM))

::The light faded to blackness as she rolled on her side in the snow. It was so cold... and the dampness was beginning to soak through her thin clothes. Her teeth chattered and she couldn't see. She gasped again as another wave of intense pain washed over her body.::

::Squeezing her eyes closed tightly, she willed for the pain to go away - a maneuver which rather expectedly didn't work. However, as she opened her eyes, she could see again - although the scene had changed. The room she was in was dimmer than the bright light of a snowy outdoors she had just been in. Around her, familiar people either stood or sat in chairs, although none of them seemed to notice that she was on the floor.::

::Although she was still in pain, she managed to stand up and look around. Nearby she spotted Ethan and with only a few strides, she managed to cross to him. He didn't seem to notice her, so she reached out and brushed his arm with her hand. At that moment, he slumped forward. From somewhere she heard a voice.::

Voice: He's failing.

::She felt like she'd been kicked in the stomach. She heard quick small footsteps and turned to see Matthew rushing past. Not wanting him to discover his now-dead father, she reached out and grasped his arm. Again, as she made contact, he suddenly went limp and fell forward in a heap at her feet.::

Ehlanii: ::screaming:: NO!

((END DREAM))

::She had nearly screamed as she came out of the dream state. A panic had flowed through her veins and her hands trembled. For a moment she hadn’t known where she was. And then she realized that she was in the shuttle. All she had wanted to do for a moment was call Ethan and check on Matthew. It took all her will and training to focus on figuring out what had happened - and where those images had come from.::

::It had taken a moment because they came from deep within her subconscious, a dream she had dreamt before. Several years previously someone, for reasons still unknown to her, had made an attempt on her life and that was the dream she had experienced while she was unconscious. She had taken a deep breath in, forcing herself to remain calm, to focus on the shuttle around her. It had taken all her effort, so she was quite relieved when they were summoned home by the COO of the Drake.::

((FLASHBACK, Shuttle Portobello))

SOLOK: =/\= USS Drake to Commander Brice. =/\=

BRICE: =/\= Brice Here. =/\=

SOLOK: =/\= You have new orders, Commander. Abort your mission and return to the Drake immediately. =/\=

BRICE: =/\= Aye, on our way. =/\=

::She nodded to the pilot who plotted a return course, thankful that she didn’t need to issue any other instructions.::

((FLASHBACK ENDS))

::Karynn had initially had every intention of going straight to the bridge, but after the shuttle docked she still felt distinctly off, as though someone had been mucking around in her brain. Hoping that a splash of cold water and perhaps a change of uniform would help (she was feeling particularly damp from the cold sweat her re-dream had triggered), the Haliian had headed to her quarters.::

::The next event was still a bit blurry to the touch empath. She remembered being overwhelmed with anger shortly after entering her quarters.::

((FLASHBACK - Chief Engineer’s Office, USS Ronin))

::Her arms were folded solidly across her chest. Luckily she hadn't needed to wait long after her meeting, but ever since the incident her thoughts had been racing and her frustration had been building. Now that he had finally arrived, she let it out in a controlled stream. Her voice was quiet but icy, her words were crisp and separated.::

Ehlanii: How... could... you?

:: He slipped his hands into his pockets and looked down. Weight of his world on his shoulders. He didn’t have an answer for her; he’d done what he thought was best, what he had deemed to be the safest way of controlling things.::

Ehlanii: You couldn't trust me to do my job? We were making progress. Your decision set us back. We don't even know how far back. HOW COULD YOU, Ethan?

:: He leant on a rung of the ladder and looked at her. He hadn’t spoken a word so far but he didn’t doubt that the conversation wasn’t one sided.::

Brice: I did what I had to do.

::Her voice rose a few decibels higher::

Ehlanii: Were you even listening? Did you care that you put all of us in danger? You put me
in danger with your stupid stunt! What if she had thought that I was complicit in it all? You used my conversation with her to cover your actions! If you didn't care about yourself you could have at least thought of that. Or Ben! As it is, she suspects that he had something to do with it. She might even think it was his orders. He's your friend. Or at least he used to be.

::She took a breath, which gave him an opportunity to say a word.::

Brice: I didn’t think about that, alright? I… I thought you’d all be okay, Danny would beam you all back-

::His time was limited. She wasn't finished and she wasn't yet ready to hear his response. Her voice quickly cut him off again.::

Ehlanii: And that's not even including Sarion and Commander Maria. Or the whole ship! What if she had decided to blow us all out of the sky? Its not like she doesn't have the power to do it!

:: His jaw tightened.:: Brice: That’s not fair play! I endangered myself, she wasn’t going to harm the rest of you when the blame was all on me! I did what I had to do to get her on our side, I didn’t see anyone else trying anything!

::Her eyes flashed with anger.::

Ehlanii: I was. I had quite a profile going. I was preparing suggestions to give to Commander Walker. I was probably close to finding the right motivation to get her to help us. Why couldn't you just control yourself?

((END FLASHBACK))

::That was really when things got murky for the Science Officer and Former Counselor as she tried to piece things together in her moments after waking. As she had been overwhelmed by the memory, she had lost consciousness - and muscle tone. She’d passed out and (although she didn’t quite know it right now) managed to hit her head on her coffee table on the way down. She vaguely remembered ever so briefly regaining consciousness (with a headache) once in the dim light and had some recollection of the ship shaking violently at which point, as best she could tell, her head hit the coffee table again and she lost consciousness.::

::As she attempted to piece it all together in the fleeting moments, she became aware enough to recognize that she needed a bit of help from the ship’s medical types. She reached up and tapped the comm badge on her uniform.::

Brice: =/\= Brice to Doctor Shelley =/\=

Shelley (or other Medical): =/\= RESPONSE =/\=

Brice: =/\= I believe I may be in some need of medical assistance. =/\=

Brice: =/\= I am not sure. I haven’t tried to sit up yet. My head is in significant pain and I appear to be bleeding. =/\=

Brice: =/\= I believe just from the head. At least as far as I can tell from my limited self-survey. =/\=

Commander Karynn Brice
Chief Science Officer
USS Drake

Edited by Didrik Stennes

• 2 weeks later...

((Karynn’s Quarters))

::The first thing she noticed was how dark it was. In the pitch-blackness, for a moment she wasn’t sure whether her eyes were closed or she had lost her sight or the room was just really dark. The second thing she noticed was the pain. Her head throbbed. It felt like it had been caught between a hammer and an anvil. Or a spike had been driven through it.::

::A moment passed by and she determined that yes her eyes were open. But she still wasn’t sure if that meant that her sight was gone or the room was just that dark. She felt nauseous. And dizzy. She put her hand to her head and felt warm sticky liquid.::

Brice: Computer, Lights.

::The room lights blazed forth in full splendor and suddenly the Haliian officer realized that her request had been a mistake. And that her eyes were working just fine. She quickly shut her eyes as her head throbbed even more than it had been. At least it had helped her figure out where she was - she was laying on the floor of her quarters, not far from her coffee table.::

Brice: Computer, lights 5%.

::The lights dimmed significantly. Karynn tried to remember how she had gotten there. Part of a memory flitted back to her.::

((FLASHBACK - Shuttle Portobello))

Brice: ::activating the link again:: =/\= Commander Brice to the Bridge, we’re ready to depart. =/\=

((END FLASHBACK))

::She and her group had departed from the Drake, listening to the comms chatter as they went. She remembered being excited at their opportunity for an up-close flyby on the new species. But they hadn’t been gone long when something else had happened. She found herself in another world.::

((DREAM))

::The light faded to blackness as she rolled on her side in the snow. It was so cold... and the dampness was beginning to soak through her thin clothes. Her teeth chattered and she couldn't see. She gasped again as another wave of intense pain washed over her body.::

::Squeezing her eyes closed tightly, she willed for the pain to go away - a maneuver which rather expectedly didn't work. However, as she opened her eyes, she could see again - although the scene had changed. The room she was in was dimmer than the bright light of a snowy outdoors she had just been in. Around her, familiar people either stood or sat in chairs, although none of them seemed to notice that she was on the floor.::

::Although she was still in pain, she managed to stand up and look around. Nearby she spotted Ethan and with only a few strides, she managed to cross to him. He didn't seem to notice her, so she reached out and brushed his arm with her hand. At that moment, he slumped forward. From somewhere she heard a voice.::

Voice: He's failing.

::She felt like she'd been kicked in the stomach. She heard quick small footsteps and turned to see Matthew rushing past. Not wanting him to discover his now-dead father, she reached out and grasped his arm. Again, as she made contact, he suddenly went limp and fell forward in a heap at her feet.::

Ehlanii: ::screaming:: NO!

((END DREAM))

::She had nearly screamed as she came out of the dream state. A panic had flowed through her veins and her hands trembled. For a moment she hadn’t known where she was. And then she realized that she was in the shuttle. All she had wanted to do for a moment was call Ethan and check on Matthew. It took all her will and training to focus on figuring out what had happened - and where those images had come from.::

::It had taken a moment because they came from deep within her subconscious, a dream she had dreamt before. Several years previously someone, for reasons still unknown to her, had made an attempt on her life and that was the dream she had experienced while she was unconscious. She had taken a deep breath in, forcing herself to remain calm, to focus on the shuttle around her. It had taken all her effort, so she was quite relieved when they were summoned home by the COO of the Drake.::

((FLASHBACK, Shuttle Portobello))

SOLOK: =/\= USS Drake to Commander Brice. =/\=

BRICE: =/\= Brice Here. =/\=

SOLOK: =/\= You have new orders, Commander. Abort your mission and return to the Drake immediately. =/\=

BRICE: =/\= Aye, on our way. =/\=

::She nodded to the pilot who plotted a return course, thankful that she didn’t need to issue any other instructions.::

((FLASHBACK ENDS))

::Karynn had initially had every intention of going straight to the bridge, but after the shuttle docked she still felt distinctly off, as though someone had been mucking around in her brain. Hoping that a splash of cold water and perhaps a change of uniform would help (she was feeling particularly damp from the cold sweat her re-dream had triggered), the Haliian had headed to her quarters.::

::The next event was still a bit blurry to the touch empath. She remembered being overwhelmed with anger shortly after entering her quarters.::

((FLASHBACK - Chief Engineer’s Office, USS Ronin))

::Her arms were folded solidly across her chest. Luckily she hadn't needed to wait long after her meeting, but ever since the incident her thoughts had been racing and her frustration had been building. Now that he had finally arrived, she let it out in a controlled stream. Her voice was quiet but icy, her words were crisp and separated.::

Ehlanii: How... could... you?

:: He slipped his hands into his pockets and looked down. Weight of his world on his shoulders. He didn’t have an answer for her; he’d done what he thought was best, what he had deemed to be the safest way of controlling things.::

Ehlanii: You couldn't trust me to do my job? We were making progress. Your decision set us back. We don't even know how far back. HOW COULD YOU, Ethan?

:: He leant on a rung of the ladder and looked at her. He hadn’t spoken a word so far but he didn’t doubt that the conversation wasn’t one sided.::

Brice: I did what I had to do.

::Her voice rose a few decibels higher::

Ehlanii: Were you even listening? Did you care that you put all of us in danger? You put me
in danger with your stupid stunt! What if she had thought that I was complicit in it all? You used my conversation with her to cover your actions! If you didn't care about yourself you could have at least thought of that. Or Ben! As it is, she suspects that he had something to do with it. She might even think it was his orders. He's your friend. Or at least he used to be.

::She took a breath, which gave him an opportunity to say a word.::

Brice: I didn’t think about that, alright? I… I thought you’d all be okay, Danny would beam you all back-

::His time was limited. She wasn't finished and she wasn't yet ready to hear his response. Her voice quickly cut him off again.::

Ehlanii: And that's not even including Sarion and Commander Maria. Or the whole ship! What if she had decided to blow us all out of the sky? Its not like she doesn't have the power to do it!

:: His jaw tightened.:: Brice: That’s not fair play! I endangered myself, she wasn’t going to harm the rest of you when the blame was all on me! I did what I had to do to get her on our side, I didn’t see anyone else trying anything!

::Her eyes flashed with anger.::

Ehlanii: I was. I had quite a profile going. I was preparing suggestions to give to Commander Walker. I was probably close to finding the right motivation to get her to help us. Why couldn't you just control yourself?

((END FLASHBACK))

::That was really when things got murky for the Science Officer and Former Counselor as she tried to piece things together in her moments after waking. As she had been overwhelmed by the memory, she had lost consciousness - and muscle tone. She’d passed out and (although she didn’t quite know it right now) managed to hit her head on her coffee table on the way down. She vaguely remembered ever so briefly regaining consciousness (with a headache) once in the dim light and had some recollection of the ship shaking violently at which point, as best she could tell, her head hit the coffee table again and she lost consciousness.::

::As she attempted to piece it all together in the fleeting moments, she became aware enough to recognize that she needed a bit of help from the ship’s medical types. She reached up and tapped the comm badge on her uniform.::

Brice: =/\= Brice to Doctor Shelley =/\=

DYAMONE: =/\= Dr. DyAmone here, Dr Shelley is occupied with a preparation of the cure for recent infestation, can I be of assistance? =/\=

BRICE: =/\= I believe I may be in some need of medical assistance. =/\=

DYAMONE: =/\= Can you explain? =/\=

BRICE: =/\= I am not sure. I haven't tried to sit up yet. My head is in significant pain and I appear to be bleeding. =/\=

DYAMONE: =/\= Do you have any other injuries, bleedings? Were you attacked?=/\=

BRICE: =/\= I believe just from the head. At least as far as I can tell from my limited self-survey. =/\=

DYAMONE: =/\= Don't move, I'm coming to you.=/\=

Commander Karynn Brice
Chief Science Officer
USS Drake

Repost to fill open rtags at the end.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.