• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

[2010: MAY-JUN] Writing Challenge

Hi folks,

Apologies for the delay but Captain Walker has a lot on his plate at present. As a result I'll be setting up this round.

Watch this space...

Thanks to everyone for waiting. Again, apologies for the delay.

Last rounds winner, Lt. Kevin Breeman, has come up with the following topic for this round:

“Present”

Mysterious gifts or a travel through time - just some of the many possibilities present in that one word (and there's another one for you!)

Guidelines: To participate, create a new thread. The subject of the thread must be the title of your story. If it is a Work In Progress, denote that with the heart post icon. If your work is complete, use the horizontal arrow post icon. Items not marked with an icon or marked with the WiP icon will not be considered for judging and will be moved to the "Character Cafe" forum at the end of the contest. Your work must be entirely your own. No co-authoring. You are welcome to create any character you so desire, but they must be from the Star Trek universe. No "canon" characters allowed. (i.e.- No one who has been on a show.)

Want to participate, but can't start a new topic? Why didn't you view the "Read Me First!" forum? You'll need to ask a moderator or Senior Member to create a thread for you!

Length: No more than 3000 words accepted.

Beginning Date: Monday, May 17th

Ending Date: Friday, June 25th.

See Also: the Writing Challenge Website

Challenge: “Present”

• 1 month later...

I had such high hopes for this round but only 2 stories have been submitted.

What's up with that?? Where are all the fantastic writers??

I obviously agree with you!

Come on Friends! There is still a few days left to sneak in a story!

Sadly, RL has once again gotten in the way... I has ideas, but nowhere near enough time to get them into something resembling an entry worthy of submitting.

Ah well, maybe next time... :rolleyes7:

Sadly, RL has once again gotten in the way... I has ideas, but nowhere near enough time to get them into something resembling an entry worthy of submitting.

Ah well, maybe next time... :rolleyes7:

Huh, that's great - I didn't even had idea!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the considerable delay. Some of the usual Writing Challenge organizers have been having trouble accessing the forum and/or have been tied up in real life issues. Results for the May/June round follow. As there were only few entrants, the decision has been made only to declare a winner on this occasion.

First, the reviews as submitted by the Writing Challenge judges.

The Circle

By Thomas Gregory

Review by Tallis Rhul

For me, one of the things that flags up a good story is the inclusion of sentences that are memorable in some way. It’s either because they are a clever twist on something else, or because they have a striking emotional impact.

There were several instances of such a sentence in this story. “Like star crossed lovers their story was each other”, and “Ryan, we’re already married” are two that leap out in particular. In fact, the concept of the whole piece is very cleverly thought out, and contains a wonderful degree of ambiguity. Is the runabout crash actually reality, or is the Miranda after all? Reading as we do from Ryan’s perspective there’s just no way to tell.

This was a thought-provoking read, and I particularly enjoyed the character characterisation, which was executed most effectively through the use of dialogue. You also used structure to good effect; the runabout scene was used at the beginning and end to neatly tie the story together.

Redemption

By Tel Tal-ar

Review by Toni Turner

Over the time I've been judging the Writing Challenges, one thing has remained consistent in Tal Tel-ar's stories ... Action. And true to form, he has delivered another action packed story that takes your adrenaline levels higher simply by reading his well-crafted words.

His lead-in back story sets the stage, making you feel the pain suffered, and realizing the long battle back to recovery, then BAM!... You're wheeled into a fast paced zig-zagged race for your life.

Few writers have the finesse to accomplish the rush of excitement that Tel creates, and he's getting better and better at putting the reader right smack dab in the middle of the conflict. "Redemption" is by far his best effort. Bring it on, Tal!

And so... the moment you've been waiting for: this month's winner is...

Thomas Gregory's "The Circle"

I'll be contacting Mr. Gregory as soon as possible to ask for a topic for next round, and watch this space for the subject to be posted. I don't have the Mighty Hammer of Mjolnir, or whatever else the powers that be use to sticky topics, so I may have to pull some strings behind the scenes to beg a favour from people I know!

In the meantime, we're all looking forward to next round - please spread the word aboard your ships. I for one really enjoy reading the submissions when the time rolls around, and I know that the judging team aren't the only people who enjoy it!

Until next time, sayonara!

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.