• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

[Round 7] Solitude

((USS Wellington: Sickbay))

::Marty Devereaux was laid on his biobed in silence. The buzzing of Medical staff and nurses seemed like a thousand light years away and he sighed. It was mostly for himself. The days spent on that planet were like torture. It was nice that so many people came to visit him, but he would rather have been somewhere else. Anywhere else.::

::Glancing around he saw more wounded coming in. Many were survivors from the attack on their camp. Amputee's - like him - or people hit by debris, even some cases of dehydration and sun stroke. He wanted to kick his feet off the bed and go find something to do, but deep down he knew he wouldn't. He didn't have the heart. There would always be someone else to take over his work. Always another crewman or Ensign to work on the torpedoes. He couldn't work, either. Without the proper facilities he still hadn't had a prosthetic leg attached. He'd have to wait until they reached DS17 for that. The Wellington wasn't equipped.::

::He sighed again, and looked down at his form. One leg missing, and for what? The life of his friend? He felt sick. Everytime he closed his eyes he could hear the screams. Phaser sounds rang in his his ears mixed with the blood curdling screams. It was only when he opened his eyes he realised the screams were his.::

::How many more had died whilst on the planet? He overheard the nurses talking about reports when he was brought in, but couldn't make out any realistic numbers. Of course, they tried to comfort him and take his mind off it, and he half-heartedly obliged. He played snap when he had visitors; talked a while about his work on the Ronin, and about his Aunt who was now a civilian engineer. He even told a few jokes to the nurses when he felt like it, but then he'd catch a glimpse of another wounded officer - or another body bag be sent to the morgue - and he'd remain silent.::

::Marty thought about everything that had happened to him, and wanted to cry when he saw more and more bodybags come in as the transports of survivers were brought aboard the Wellington. They'd died with honour and fought for their ship and crew. He didn't. He cowered and cried like a schoolboy in a playground. He thought about the dead. Their families would be proud that they'd died defending their friends.::

::More and more bodies were sent to the morgue. Marty tried to keep count. Fifteen...Sixteen. ..Seventeen. He made a mental tally of those braver than him. And everytime he did he cried out in his mind: "It should have been me."::

TBC

Ensign Marty Devereaux

Tactical

USS Ronin

Afraid I've confused myself.

'Solitude' was posted by Danny to the Ronin list on Monday 28th. Now I know that was the closing date for submissions for this round, so is it okay here or do I have to hang fire and submit it to the next round?

having said that, he did post it 3am UK time, which would have made it Sunday 27th for anyone living in the Hollywood area... :biggrin2:

Afraid I've confused myself.

'Solitude' was posted by Danny to the Ronin list on Monday 28th. Now I know that was the closing date for submissions for this round, so is it okay here or do I have to hang fire and submit it to the next round?

having said that, he did post it 3am UK time, which would have made it Sunday 27th for anyone living in the Hollywood area... :biggrin2:

:P Wonder who that would apply to?

Doesn't matter when it was posted to the sim list, but when it was posted here. You posted this sim after the cutoff for round 5, so it'll be in round 6 :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.