• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

[2006: JUL-AUG] Writing Challenge Discussion

Jordan aka FltAdmlWolf

Hmm... interesting concept. I'll have to give it some thought.

BTW... Was away for the last week so I didn't get a chance to congratulate Julia and Ben on their stories before the topic went away. (*smile*)

is it all right to brainstorm in public places I mean I have some ideas I am pretending are worth typing here but well that might just give me away before my writing challenge is finished hummmmm

1. pretend I am playing a game?
  2. pretend I am playing a game at not playing said game
  3. pretend like I know what I am doing
  4. pretend like I don't care
  5. pretend like I care
  6. pretend like it matters or like it does not matter

There has to be a middle ground between pretending and not pretending?

As always, write about what you know. What do you pretend to be in RL? Maybe you're so satisfied with yourself that you don't pretend anything. Like you really do live on a starshp....

Thanks, David Cody! *deep bow*

I would assume that being on a starship would put me in two places at once hence the theme I plan to use pretending to be in two places at once

the title as of so far is....

pretending it is so...near?

of course depending on how the rewrites go that will probably change in the end yet still the theme will be kept

Well, seven passes through it and gods only know how many edits, its under 3000... I almost thought I'd have to abandon it (*wiping brow*). Had to reject the first two concepts, but here's my contribution. :)

Tricky challenge... loved it.

Mine finally came out of these fingers, though I seriously doubt I could do anything as good as shattered windows again...

• 3 weeks later...

Sure you will, Cara. You've come up with some very good takes on all the Challenges.

Sure you will, Cara. You've come up with some very good takes on all the Challenges.

:D You can only get SO good...

But each time we fail, we also learn, and that makes the "so good," so much more. We are only as good as the limits we impose on ourselves. Stretch your talents to the limit and beyond.

I might finish this entry at some point but if I do post it, you'll want to have a discography of The Pretenders open as you read it...

But each time we fail, we also learn, and that makes the "so good," so much more. We are only as good as the limits we impose on ourselves. Stretch your talents to the limit and beyond.

You've whetted my interest....

Great - then my words have made an impression on someone. Hopefully, a good one. :)

Actually, I was speaking from a personal point of view. In the past, I have used my newspaper skills to write my challenge stories concisely. Rocar, evidently, likes longer manuscripts from what he said in last month's feedback. So I had to stretch my talents to the limit and beyond to write the current challenge. It's not 3,000 words, but it is four or five times as long as my usual submission.

I have to say this, however . . . each writer has a comfort zone that they enjoy. One in which they convey a complete story, the way they want to write it. Weather it meets the 3000 word maximum or the 300 word minimum, they are valid entries and should be treated as such, and how they should have written it is not up to anyone else to say. If they don't like the style of a manuscript, so be it, but the manuscript is no less the style of the writer and should be considered as such too.

It's like telling William Shakespeare in saying, "To give full growth to that which still doth grow?" that he should have said, "Let your children grow up," making the meaning of his words specific only to child rearing. What a loss that would have been to literature and romanticism.

By the way, I know you, Julia, will be a judge, but the other judges have not been announced.

I was hoping to make an impression with my own, that particular rant is one I've wanted to write for a while.

I understand, Cara. That's why I answered it. Most times, it's good to know that we are not alone.

Now that would have been lovely to hear on fri, you're only a few days late ;)

but I know we're not alone, it's getting the message out that's hard.

Hearing the message that we're not alone on friday would have been nice (then I tried to insert a poor joke on timing).

And I do know that we're not alone and try to give the message out, however that's the hard part

Oh, okay. Yes it is hard to be timely when so many of us are online at different times, but we get around to it, sooner of later.

Which is definitely a good thing, don't you think?

Yes, because we can always find someone with a like interest to "type" to at any time of day or night. :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.