• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

[2005: NOV-DEC] *WINNER* Among the Stars

Toni

Among the Stars

By Toni Turner

Counselor

Duronis II

The distant stars beckoned to Lieutenant Riser Plato, arousing his impulses to achieve the impossible, but the challenges of interstellar travel seemed too futile to contemplate.

Not satisfied to sit and only gaze at the stars, he analyzed the predicament. “What is needed is a form of propulsion that will transport a ship long distances in a very short time,” but saying it, did not make it so.

Riser looked thoughtfully at his slingshot, hoping that it may spark a vision, but alas, the speed that it hurled the stone did not last. Halfway though flight it slowed, sailed awhile, and then dropped to the ground. “I need a constant source of speed, like a lamp only faster, but there is nothing more accelerated than light.”

In his unwavering commitment to the stars, he used critical reasoning, but finally, he realized it was not in his legacy to find the propulsion that would put the stars within his reach. He sat down at his desk to make the final entry into his notes.

“I shall never see Heavens so close as to witness a sunspot’s array, nor the explosions of gases spiraling into space. The first-hand knowledge of the planets will always elude me.”

“Oh, to feel that surge of power that would lift me to the ultimate exploration of the final frontier. To see the different species that lurk in the far recesses of time and the nothingness of space.”

“I will never dematerialize and beam from place to place, nor foil my foes with phaser fire, or be touched by a mind meld. Destiny will not let me see pointed ears, green skin or nubby noses. Rocks will not gravitate as general motion, and birds of prey will not be star ships.”

“Blood Wine will never pass my lips, and my belly will not be warmed by a Fanalian toddy. My palate will never savor Owon eggs, and I will not overindulge on Gagh.”

Riser, heartbroken by the things he would never see, taste or experience, wept into his hands, “Why does this have to be?”

No sooner than the question left his lips, the answer began to emerge from within his soul, and his inner voice whispered, “Look to your hands, Riser.”

Sitting up straight, he open his hands, recognizing the tears of his unhappiness. He questioned, “Water, is my answer?”

Again a whisper came, “Look beyond the tears of despair to the tangible proof of your years of labor.”

Riser’s eyes widened, and for the first time he could see that there was no need to be in space. The propulsion to live in among the stars rested between his thumb and index finger. He wiped the tears from his hands, poised his pen over a clean sheet of paper, and he was immediately warped into the place he had always wanted to be - Among the Stars.

Completed work

Edited by Toni

Among the Stars

By Toni Turner

Counselor

Although Lieutenant Riser Plato had been stranded on his outpost for what felt like eons, the distant stars still beckoned to him, arousing his impulses to achieve the impossible, even though the challenges of interstellar travel seemed too futile to contemplate.

Not satisfied to sit and only gaze at the stars, he analyzed the predicament. “What is needed is a form of propulsion that will transport a ship long distances in a very short time,” but saying it, did not make it so.

Riser looked thoughtfully at his slingshot, hoping that it may spark a vision, but alas, the speed that it hurled the stone did not last. Halfway though flight it slowed, sailed awhile, and then dropped to the ground. “I need a constant source of speed, like a lamp only faster, but there is nothing more accelerated than light.”

In his unwavering commitment to the stars, he used critical reasoning, but finally, he realized it was not his legacy to find the propulsion that would put the stars within his reach. He sat down at his desk to make the final entry into his notes.

“I shall never see the Heavens so close as to witness a sunspot’s array, nor the explosions of gases spiraling into space. The first-hand knowledge of the planets will always elude me.”

“Oh, what I would give to feel that surge of power that would lift me to the ultimate exploration of the tempting skies, and to see the different species which lurk in the far recesses of time and the nothingness of space.”

“I will never dematerialize and beam from place to place, nor foil my foes with phaser fire, or be touched by a mind meld. Destiny will not let me see pointed ears, green skin or nubby noses. Rocks will not gravitate as general motion, and birds of prey will not be star ships.”

“Blood Wine will never pass my lips, and my belly will not be warmed by a Fanalian toddy. My palate will never savor Owon eggs, and I will not overindulge on Gagh.”

Riser, heartbroken by the things he would never see, taste or experience, wept into his hands, “Why does this have to be?”

No sooner than the question left his lips, the answer began to emerge from within his soul, and his inner voice whispered, “Look to your hands, Riser.”

Sitting up straight, he open his hands, recognizing the tears of his unhappiness. He questioned, “Water, is my answer?”

Again a whisper came, “Look beyond the tears of despair to the tangible proof of your years of labor.”

Riser’s eyes widened, and for the first time he could see that there was no need to be space. The propulsion to live in among the stars, rested between his thumb and index finger. He wiped the tears from his hands, and poised his pen over a clean sheet of paper, and he was immediately warped into the place he had always wanted to be - Among the Stars where the impossible became the probable that his mind conceived.

Completed Work - Revision

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.