• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

[BELOW / BACKSIM] PNPC Crewman First Class Tersus: Arrival

Okay, I both love and hate this guy already. @Tomas Falt, if you need any help dealing with your new assistant, I know another First Officer who has a classic way of dealing with these types.Ā šŸ˜šŸ˜‚Ā Of course, she did lose her job as Chief TacSec and was ordered to attend mandatory counseling, but hey....

=====

((Space Port, Denali Station, Ring 42))Ā 

Crewman First Class Tersus stepped off the supply shuttle and took in his first view of Ring 42. His trip to Denali Station had been arranged at such short notice heā€™d only been able to secure a cramped, confined berth aboard a supply shuttle. He hadnā€™t even had a window, so heā€™d missed the apparently spectacular sight of ring from space and had been looking forward to taking it all in on landing. Unfortunately, the scene now in front of him wasā€¦ unimpressive... Ā 

He appeared to have disembarked in a space dock area, which certainly didn't look like anything special. Heā€™d describe it as functional at best. He really hoped he hadn't taken such an uncomfortable trip all the way to the frontier for this!Ā 

He took a deep breath of air from his breathing apparatus, the atmosphere of the Ring was not compatible with Benzite physiology after all, and centred himself. Ā Whilst mildly disappointed about missing the view, it was not the reason heā€™d come to Denali station. He needed to find the Executive Officer - one Lieutenant Commander Falt - and introduce himself. The man was to be his new superior, even if he didn't know it yet.

He spotted a grubby looking engineering crewman and asked them for directions to station operations, where he assumed the Commander would be. He found himself directed to a corner of the port facility, where on arrival he was surprised to find a transport arch. Ā 

oO Perhaps they aren't so backwards here after all. Oo

((XOā€™s Office, Level 15, Anchorage, Denali Station))Ā 

The transporter arch had whisked him to what heā€™d assumed was the command district. After accosting someone else for directions to the operations centre heā€™d quickly made his way there, only to be informed Commander Falt was actually in his office four floors up... Since heā€™d been sitting in a shuttle for hours heā€™d hurried up the stairs, keen to meet his new beneficiary; even if they didnā€™t know they were yetā€¦Ā 

Arriving at the office door he took a moment to straighten his uniform before pressing the door chime.Ā 

Falt: ::from inside the office:: Itā€™s open.Ā 

He stepped forward, the doors swishing open in front of him, and marched straight to the XOā€™s desk. Ā 

Tersus: Lieutenant Commander Falt, I am Crewman First Class Tersus.Ā 

The Commander, a youngish human with blue eyes and blonde hair looked up at him from behind a truly enormous stack of PADDā€™s.Ā 

Falt: Mister Tersus. I donā€™t believe weā€™ve met. What can I do for you?Ā 

He paused before answering, and took a gulp of air from his rebreather. It was a tactic he adopted when he was trying to have a conversation on his terms.Ā 

Tersus: ::deliberately:: Crewman First Class, sir. I have been told you are in need of an assistant. I have arrived, your need is fulfilled.Ā 

Falt looked puzzled. Tersus hoped it was due to his unexpected arrival. The alternative was that he looked that gormless all the time.Ā 

Falt: ::holding up a hand:: Slow down, crewman. Iā€™ve received a number of applications for the post. I take it yours is amongst them?Ā 

Tersus: Crewman First Class, sir. No, sir. I did not complete an application. Now Iā€™m here Iā€™m confident youā€™ll agree the application process is redundant.Ā 

He watched as the Commander lent back in his chair and put his boots on the desk. Knocking a couple of waiting PADDs off onto the floor as he did so.Ā 

oO Oh no, this wonā€™t do at all. OoĀ 

Falt: And what makes you think that, crewmanā€¦ first class?Ā 

Tersus was sure he detected a hint of sarcasm as the man said his rank, although it was possible it was just his ridiculous accent. He took another deliberate breath and ignored it.Ā 

Tersus: Simply because I am Tersus. The best administrator in the fleet. For example, Iā€™ve already determined twenty-six ways to improve your already excellent filing system.Ā 

The latter statement was a lie of course, but experience told him it was best to take things slow in a situation like this. The Commander looked at the pile of PADDs and then back at him, eyebrow raised.Ā 

Falt: Excellent filing system? If you think this is excellent then I canā€™t see how you could be an administrator in the fleet, let alone the best.Ā 

Tersus: Forgive me, sir. I didnā€™t want to insult you the first time we met. I can actually see at least fifty-one ways to improve itā€¦ And you are correct your filing system is atrocious, the worst Iā€™ve ever encountered. Ā 

oO Like, really, truly, the worstā€¦ OoĀ 

Falt: Well at least your being honest about that. However, Iā€™m afraid youā€™ll need to put in a late application, which Iā€™ll consider if I donā€™t find a suitable candidate in the meantime. Iā€™d also suggest you speak to your current team leader about raising your clearance level. Dismissed.Ā 

Tersus took a deep breath from his apparatus but otherwise didnā€™t move.Ā 

Tersus: Ā With respect, sir. I already have Level 9 clearance due to my role in the Judge Advocate Generalā€™s Office.Ā 

He took a breath as he watched the man react. Level 9 clearance was only one down from ā€œCaptainā€™s eyes only.ā€ He could see the man pause, likely wondering how a Crewman First Class got such a high clearance level? Ā 

Falt: It sounds like youā€™re all set, which begs the question why are you here?Ā 

Tersus: Simply put, the Ring sir. I find the possibility of cataloguing the discoveries we will make here really quiet intoxicating. Itā€™s why I boarded the transport when I heard about the opening in the first place, I wouldnā€™t normally work for a mere Lieutenant Commander otherwise.Ā 

For the first time since theyā€™d met a flash of annoyance crossed the Commanders face.Ā 

Falt: A mere Lieutenant Commander, I thought you werenā€™t trying to insult me?

Tersus: Forgive me, sir. Iā€™m used to working for Captainā€™s and Admirals. Ā 

Falt: ::still annoyed:: And what do they think about you coming to ask for a job on the ring?Ā 

Tersus: Whilst all my performance reviews have been exemplary my mannerisms havenā€™t won me too many friends, sir. Ā 

Faltā€™s annoyed expression was pushed aside by a snort of amusement.Ā 

Falt: Indeed. Regardless, my decision hasnā€™t changed.Ā 

Tersus paused. Heā€™d expected his argument to have worked by now. What he needed was a chance to show the man how much help he could really be. And judging by the administrative chaos on the desk in front of him he really needed it. Ā 

Tersus: A suggestion, sir. Youā€™re about to go on a mission so you wonā€™t be interviewing candidates until you return anyway. Allow me to stay on a trial basis, if nothing else I could sort out your filing system whilst your away. It would be an afront to my profession to leave without at least doing that.Ā 

Falt considered his offer for a moment. He could tell the man knew it was a win-won scenario. He relaxed slightly.Ā 

Falt: Very well Crewman First Class Tersus. Iā€™ll validate your credentials and if everything checks out Iā€™ll authorize a secondment for the length of the next mission. You have one chance to impress me. Anything less than perfection and youā€™ll be on the next transport off the ring. Are we clear?Ā 

Tersus smiled for the first time. One chance was all he would need.Ā 

Tersus: Aye, sir. You wonā€™t regret this.Ā 

Falt: Weā€™ll see. Now, you are dismissed crewman; and Iā€™d really go this time if I were you.Ā 

Tersus gave him a nod and strode out of his office as purposefully as heā€™d entered, although this time he wasnā€™t looking for a job, he was looking for the view of the ring heā€™d missed on the way in.Ā 

Ā 

NT / ENDĀ 

Crewman First Class Tersus
Administrative AssistantĀ 
Denali Station

as simmed by

Lieutenant Commander Tomas Falt
Executive Officer
Denali Station
J239807TF2

• Like 2