• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

JP- Lt. Commander Brodie & Lt. Alieth: “The Impossible Split”

@Alieth and @Alex Brodie are such great writers, and here we get to see a Vulcan who finds herself in need of counseling.  A rare insight into the Vulcan mind, and Brodie's masterful handling of the situation.

[[Hammer’s Bowling Alley, Deck Five, USS Thor]]

It was a quiet night, Alex stepped up to the doors and typed in the key-code. Darren had been good enough to loan him the access codes and the facility for the night. He stepped through the doors and activated the lights. They thrummed into life and he moved behind the small hospitality area and switched on the replicator.

Brodie: Coffee, milk, no sugar.

The cup materialised in the small alcove and he removed it, taking a long gulp.

He wandered towards the lanes and took a ball from the rack. He stepped back, lined up his body and sent the ball flying down the lacquered surface. It crashed straight through the middle of the pack and left the seven and ten pins standing.

An impossible split. He moved to pick a second ball but turned as the door hissed open behind him - his appointment had arrived.

He’d suggested the venue for a couple of reasons. They were familiar with the medical deck, it was a work environment, difficult to relax. This was out of the way, especially at this time of night. It also had couches.

Brodie: Ah, Doctor, please come in.

The young Vulcan woman lingered for a moment in the doorway, surveying the unfamiliar place. She was aware of the existence of the site, of course, as she had had to treat more than one sprained ankle or finger produced there and. As a result, she had read about this peculiar Earth pastime. Like so many of the other leisure activities humans enjoyed, it was just a basic geometry application. As it lacked the additional challenge of an adversary's aleatory influence over the activity (as did, for example, other forms of entertainment such as billiards), she had immediately shelved it as a toddler's activity.

So, after that brief inspection, she beelined to where the counsellor was standing.

Alieth: You have chosen a rather... interesting place for this particular appointment, Doctor Brodie....

Brodie: A little unconventional perhaps, but we won’t be disturbed. Should people see us in conference on deck ten they might think it’s a conversation they can interrupt. Can I get you a refreshment?

Alieth: Vulcan Tea, Saros of Chi-Ree Blend, number 10004

The beverage quickly appeared in the replicator's niche, housed in an antique earthenware cup, glazed in an uneven graphite grey. The moment it appeared, the subtle, bittersweet aroma of his father's latest project filled her nostrils, bringing back memories of their farewell. In spite of herself, her heart shrank slightly in the lower part of her ribcage.

Nevertheless she took the cup, cradled it in her hands for a moment and took a small sip. Precisely the flavour she remembered. Predictably, Saros was exceptionally meticulous when it came to translating his creations into replicator code. And he had supplied her with the work of the last six years, which she had, of course, diligently integrated into the Thor's computer memory.

Alieth: As we discussed, I have set up this meeting in accordance with regulation twenty-nine point 3 stroke C which dictates that all personnel are required to undergo at least one psychological check-up annually during their service aboard a starship on an active mission.

Alex took a seat on the couch opposite the Vulcan physician and leaned back.

Brodie: Perfectly correct. That said, we could have done this at any time - rather than eat into shore leave on your home world.

Alieth: Indeed, the visit to the Home Planet has had some influence on this decision.

Brodie: I see...this would be your first time back on Vulcan since the academy?

Brodie wasn’t sure when Alieth had last been on her homeworld but certainly not since she had come aboard the Thor. In that time she had been promoted to rank of lieutenant and the position of chief medical officer. That didn’t include the contents of the missions she’d been part of - including the contact with Kalib and the entities in quantum space.

Whoever had left Vulcan to join Starfleet it was fair to say that, no matter how stoic they were, these things changed you.

She nodded slightly, as she let the tea warm her hands.

Alieth: This is the first time I have made a visit to the homeworld since over six years ago, indeed.

Brodie: And how has that made you feel, being back home? 

The response was immediate and direct.

Alieth: The suggestion that a return to my native planet elicits an emotional response is arrogant and fallacious :: raising an slanted eyebrow:: and most decidedly human.

It was a human suggestion...he took a moment to rephrase.

Brodie: Perhaps not an emotional response but a lot can change in that time. It would be understandable if you’d needed a little time to readjust.

She took some time to answer this re-elaboration of the query. Just long enough that the tea lost some of its temperature and as she took a sip, the flavour of the mixture would have changed marginally, as the herbal blend shifted the more intense flavours in favour of more subtle ones.

Alieth: Saros of Chi-ree used to say that nothing changes too much on Vulcan. While there is truth in those words, I have nevertheless found that it does not quite fit reality.  She made a brief pause and tooe another tiny ship of her tea:: Such a dichotomy between invariability and change has been an interesting thing to witness.

Brodie: There was a philosopher in ancient Greece, Hera[...]us, who proffered that "The only thing that is constant is change”. I’ve always rather agreed with that. I can’t say I am familiar with Saros, is he widely known on Vulcan?

Alieth: Saros is indeed not a widely recognised philosopher, but he is certainly a wise man. And a master of tea making.

Brodie: It sounds like you’ve studied his teachings in person.

Alieth: Indeed, he is my father after all.

There it was. “In accordance with regulation twenty-nine point 3 stroke C”, ”the visit to the Home Planet has had some influence on this decision” and “a return to my native planet elicits an emotional response is arrogant and fallacious”. He did wonder if perhaps the doctor did protest too much? Vulcan’s were, in some ways, quite emotional about emotion. Perhaps it was an unfamiliarity...perhaps even a fear of slipping back into a more aggressive primal society. He’d seen examples of pre-Surak at the museum - was every Vulcan doing their part to avoid a return?

Still, the only Vulcan that mattered right now was the one sitting one the couch opposite - focusing on her tea.

Brodie: I...get the feeling we’re in the general area of why you wanted to see me.

She suppressed a tiny sigh, her diversion from the first question had been just too short-lived.

Alieth: Roughly.

He knew he was unlikely to have an emotional breakthrough...and he wasn’t sure what the outcome might be. He decided to try a more practical...more logical and direct...a more Vulcan approach. He leaned forwards slightly.

Brodie: Do you know what the role of counsellor is, Alieth?

She didn't have to rack her brain too much to find the textbook definition she considered most relevant.

Alieth: Check and verify the stability of the crew to ensure that they are able to continue with the activities to which they are dedicated on board the vessel and to prevent conflicts or unresolved situations from escalating in a way that could be deemed hazardous to the personnel concerned.

Brodie: All true. Ultimately, however, the job is to help people resolve things. Sometimes that is spiritual aid, sometimes psychological care...other times...more practical solutions. So...tell me...what is it that you are struggling to resolve?

Alieth: Due to certain decisions in my past and by heritage, I am widely regarded as a maverick among my clan and my own bloodline. Nevertheless, due to a series of recent events, the assistance of the clan and a number of other acquaintances on Vulcan is not only necessary, but also vital, not for me, but to people I have in high regard.

She tilted her head slightly, and rolled the steaming mug between her hands. A stray thought told her she should have replicated coffee instead of tea, but she dismissed it as soon as it appeared.

Alieth: However, all prospects suggest that I will face a number of conflicting situations that may hinder the process, which is... not desirable.

Alex regarded the Vulcan...he’d never really considered her a ‘maverick.’ Perhaps slightly more outgoing by Vulcan standards but stoicism was a spectrum. What did occur to him, however, was that she may also consider herself to be a maverick...which was a very different style. Once more, he opted for the direct approach.

He became aware that he was rubbing his shoulder slightly...his own scars of reckless behaviour in the eyes of some.

Brodie: Do you consider yourself a ‘maverick’?

The young Vulcan blinked a couple of times in a conspicuous fashion as she sipped her tea. Immediately after, she placed her cup on the table and made a particularly controlled answer.

Alieth: I deem the answer is obvious, Counselor. I am

She tilted her head and folded her hands in her lap.

Alieth: Is it relevant, Commander?

Brodie: It’s not my place to judge...although I do seem to recall you were awarded a Silver Star for gallantry - some could argue that is a form of maverick behavior?

Alex watched her reaction closely.

The Vulcan's brows furrowed and she tilted her head slightly to a side. She remembered why she had been bestowed that award, it had been during what had come to be called "The Hammerfall Event". She had been involved in rescuing Kalib, which had allowed her to discover the creatures that were threatening the ship. However, she hadn't acted impulsively, but had been driven by her inclination to help others.

That was, after all, why she had chosen to pursue a career in medicine. Of course, she kept much of that reflection to herself.

Alieth: I disagree, sir. I was only fulfilling my duty.

The corners of Alieth's lips tightened slightly as she answered. If she had come out of the whole event alive (or sane) it was only because Geoffrey John had broken her meld with Kalib, ignoring the one and only warning she had given him: that he should not inoculate her with Leroxin, a chemical that affected those who carried an extra katra. The results had led to the situation she was currently handling between the starship and the surface, while she awaited the arrival of her mentor.

The memory of this and the more than likely prospect that both the Commander and Sern would get lost if she failed to take appropriate action made her eyes darken in concern.

On her lap, her fingers twitched briefly as Brodie kept talking.

Brodie: You also helped save a young boy and the crew of this ship through your actions. But…::He placed his cup down::...to circle back to your earlier comment. You’re facing a situation that you feel is vital to people you hold in high regard? 

She nodded slightly and then picked up her own cup to take a small sip in order to gather her thoughts. The tea had turned lukewarm and sour.

Alieth: I have let a misguided situation linger on for too long, and now the lives of an officer and the existence of my most cherished friend are in jeopardy.

That didn’t sound like Alieth...the woman he knew was decisive, logical, focused. This woman was emotional - and he wondered if that scared her more than anything?

Brodie: It sounds like you already have a course of action in mind?

She swirled the bitter liquid in her cup, but did not drink it, as the shallow tension reappeared on the sides of her mouth and on her brow.

Alieth: On the other hand, the actions I need to take :: She reworded the statement to fit more closely to reality :: The actions I already have taken may put my personal status on Vulcan in a precarious situation, which could render me as an outcast in my birthplace and could affect my parents and siblings negatively.

That sounded more like her...thinking of others, not herself. The twitches in her face, the fear - perhaps even a little anger. They were all accentuated by the light from the bowling lanes and the warm spot-lights above them. Sometimes less clinical was more effective. 

Brodie: And this situation is...

Alieth: The situation concerns the katra of the Sern of S'th'gee Clan... and with the First Officer of this vessel.

And there it was, Teller had said as much himself when he had been aboard the John Paul Jones: “there’s just too much in here”. Brodie didn’t know much about Vulcan spirituality but he had touched on them during his studies at the academy. Katra’s were the essence of the Vulcan mind and, perhaps more than that, were - to all intents and purposes - the soul of a Vulcan.

That’s what Alieth was also facing, as far as he could see, a struggle with her very essence as a Vulcan. He’d kept a respectable distance from both Alieth and Geoff regarding the matter...so far...but now both needed some professional...problem solving.

Brodie: The precarious nature of this situation…regarding your family...is that related to the fact the transfer occurred….or, to use your words, the steps you have already taken in, I assume, trying to rectify the situation?

This time, she took more time to answer. Time she spent drinking the bitter, tepid tea from her cup to the dregs.

Alieth: It concerns the original situation that led to this whole affair, in my time before Starfleet, as well as my refusal to comply with certain conditions that have been imposed upon me in order to resolve this problem in accordance with the requirements of the Clan. 

Brodie: And what have they entailed?

She looked him straight in the eye, her face carefully stern and devoid of emotion.

Alieth: Split the Commander's mind in such a devastating way that the chance that he would either be killed or rendered mentally impaired is above 72.6%.

Alex’s eyes widened. That was not a comforting number in any way, shape, or form. The extreme risk only had one silver lining - if they could formulate an alternate plan it was unlikely to have any more detrimental effect. It was not a happy thought.

Brodie: Yeah...no. We’re not doing that. Have you brought these numbers to Geoff’s attention?

Alieth: Of course not.

Brodie: Good. It’s probably best to keep it that way. 

She said nothing on the matter and just spun the empty cup in her hands idly.

Brodie: I wonder - if it’s an avenue we could explore with some others with expertise in this area? Trill has a lot of experience with consciousness transfer. Betazed may also be worth looking into. I’m not making any promises but it would allow us to explore options without highlighting anything to those on Vulcan

Alieth: It is an alternative. Nevertheless, while to the telepathically null individuals telepathy may seem like a unified phenomenon, it has evolved in very different ways in different species and differs greatly from one species to another. ::She looked at the counsellor with a tilted head.:: And even among different Vulcanoids.

Brodie: Although given what you’ve just told me, and the non-typical method of the transfer, I think it’s worth keeping an open mind. That said, with regards to the Katra I would imagine that there would be little expertise outside of Vulcan.

Finally, she put the cup on the table and stood up.

Alieth: This is, as I expected, a Vulcan issue, which must be resolved in a Vulcan way, sir.

‘Must’ was a strong word. He wasn’t sure if it was a sense of duty, a sense of guilt or a sense of pride that prompted the response - but it was definitely a sign of the stress the situation was placing on the ships chief medical officer.

Brodie: I’ll look to see if there’s any research onto this, or similar, outside the typical archives…::raising a hand against protest::...just in case. Obviously if it’s unavoidable you should act to protect Geoff but, otherwise, I’d ask that you don’t take any steps without letting me know first.

Brodie had a duty to protect the mental well-being of the crew and any process with a one-in-four chance of mentally impairing the first officer would entail a considerable amount of paperwork before it could be sanctioned...and that approval would need to come from him with Alieth having a clear conflict of interest in this.

Brodie: I think we’ve covered a lot of ground today, perhaps we should break and recovenene at a later date.

Alieth: Thank you for your time. And the tea.

The counsellor pushed himself out of his chair.

Brodie: You’re very welcome, Alieth. We’ll talk more soon - and, as always, my door is open whenever you might need me.

The young doctor made her way towards the door but, before she left, something on the lanes caught her attention. Two separate pins at far and opposite ends of it.  Seven and ten. The Vulcan did a quick calculation and nodded to herself. Grabbing one of the heavier balls resting next to the lane, she stepped to the left and with a measured and precise movement, threw the ball. It swung towards the seven pin with a swift roll and hit the inside of it, apparently barely brushing it. The target knocked and hit the side wall, bounced back to the lane and struck the second pin, knocking it down.

Alieth nodded one more time and, without a word, left the bowling alley.

Alex watched her go and looked back down the lane. The full array of pins now reset after the impossible split was removed - that chances of which were less than one percent. It could be done with the right curvature but that was always more by luck than judgement. You needed, as Alieth had done, to use not only the ball and the pin but also the side or rear wall to ricochet off.

You needed more than just the two players in the game to make the split work.

Brodie: ::To himself:: See….nothing is impossible with a little help.

[[END]]

------------------------------------

Lt. Cmdr. Alexander Brodie

Chief Counselor

USS Thor NCC-82607

dualitygamer@gmail.com

Writer ID.: A239005BM0

&

Lt. Alieth

Chief Medical Officer

USS Thor NCC-82607

E239702A10