• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Lower Decks Interview: Lieutenant Ceciri Ariadust, USS Veritas 

StarBase 118 Staff

We’re here with another interview with a newer member of our community. The title of this column is “Lower Decks,” hearkening back to the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode titled “Lower Decks,” in which junior officers aboard the Enterprise-D speculate on the reasons for recent unusual actions taken by the command crew near the Cardassian border.

This month’s interview is with the writer behind Lieutenant Ceciri Ariadust playing a Human female Helm officer assigned to USS Veritas.

GALVEN: Thank you for allowing me to interview you! Could you tell us a little about yourself for our readers out there?

ARIADUST: I work customer support in the Seattle area. That being said, I am a rather huge sci-fi fan, and occasionally also a fantasy fan. 

Do you take any inspiration from music/movies/TV/books when writing for your character?

Somewhat. It’s hard to really isolate influences but I do write plot ideas from what I read. I also try to come up with character motifs based on ideas from stuff I see.

You have a lot of passionate feelings and opinions when you’re watching a Star Trek series which I’m curious about what exactly do you take into account as you get into an episode? 

When I watch an episode, I generally first just start piecing it into component bits. It’s one of the curses of what I’ve seen – I am able to break it down. I also then just try to enjoy the character acting. This results, often, in me really enjoying the acting, but looking askance at the underlying plot. As for what do I take into account – I’ve built up a sort of picture of Trek from previous episodes, and what interviews I’ve read, and compare it to that. It’s a way to generate a narrative, I suppose, and I compare it to that.

A few years ago you had been involved with SB118 and then took a hiatus from the group. Before and when you came back, has the community changed and if so, what’s different you’ve seen that has improved?

It feels like the community is far more open instead of restricted to each ship nowadays. I enjoy that a lot.  It feels a lot more like a fleet nowadays.

You’ve served on several ships throughout your 118 career, what has been your favorite IC moment?

Honestly, I think my favorite was one where I got to argue with a past member of the group about who should tell the Captain, infinitely politely fighting. I’m not good with a lot of forms of levity, but I enjoy it when I see it. Speaking of other peoples IC moment, I recently read several JPs when several characters were transferred from the Veritas to the Embassy. Those sims were touching, and I enjoyed every moment of reading them.

What kind of advice would you give someone who’s thinking about joining SB118 or even to current members of the fleet?

For what it’s worth, always try to refine your craft. And make sure you allot time properly.  And lastly: have fun! That is why we are here, after all..

And lastly, do you personally have aspirations in the fleet? Are there any OOC activities you’re associated with, or any you’d like to join?

I’m not sure what aspirations I have now, but I do want to work on my writing. And I look forward to writing more for the FNS and doing research in the History team. 

Thanks for your time, Lieutenant Ceciri Ariadust!

You can read more about Lieutenant Ceciri Ariadust on the wiki.

The post Lower Decks Interview: Lieutenant Ceciri Ariadust, USS Veritas  appeared first on UFOP: StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG.

ufopsb118?d=yIl2AUoC8zA ufopsb118?i=brwbPgfZ_yE:HInNGxUw0D0:D7Dq ufopsb118?d=qj6IDK7rITs
brwbPgfZ_yE

View the full article

• Like 3