• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Who was the worst Starfleet captain?

Who was the worst Starfleet captain?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the worst Starfleet captain?

• J.T. Esteban - USS Grissom - Star Trek III
    • John Harriman - USS Enterpise-B - Star Trek Generations
    • Rudolph Ransom - USS Equinox - Equinox (VOY)
    • Edward Jellico - USS Cairo - Chains of Command (TNG)

These are four captains that stand out as poor in my opinion. It's tough to find bad captains because chances are, Starfleet is not going to give the captain's chair to a bad captain.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went with Ransom. His actions were completely inexcusable -- even with the position he was in. The Nova's a good ship, and the compact crew should have meant that they wouldn't need too many resources to shuttle along. He shouldn't have killed those poor wraiths!

I went with Harriman. To sit in the Captain's chair of the Enterprise and be the indecisive coward that he was shamed the ship and the crew. Couldn't stand the guy.

I'm surprised, Mal. No Admiral Pressman? (from "The Pegasus")

Harriman I give the benefit of the doubt to. He was in the chair as a first-time Captain with three legends standing behind him.

Esteban I give the benefit of the doubt to as well. After all, Khan was engineered to be superior... Kirk had problems with him.

That leaves me Ransom from the Equinox and Jellico from the Cairo. Hmm. Neither is exactly a shining example of Captain-ness. Captain-isity. Captain-ity. Well, you know what I mean. ;)

Ransom destroys sentient beings in an effort to get his crew home. Jellico fires on helpless Cardassian civilians because he thinks that the ship they're on may be smuggling weapons (I'm assuming this is the incident that puts him here, right Mal, not just him being a pain in the butt during "Chain of Command"?)

If it turns out that there really were weapons, Jellico has a justification. However, Ransom had no reasonable justification under any circumstances. One can argue that the first one that died (the accident) was ok, but even that is stretching it. However, the murder of the others was a BIG no-no. He gets my vote.

Esteban lost to Commander Kruge not Khan, remember:

"Standby for Evasive!"

BOOM!

I guess I forgot about Pressman since I thought of him as an Admiral, but you are right, he does belong on this list.

I put Jellico on this list for another reason. He was awful at managing people! He unnecessarily moved everyone's cheese and found a way to tick off an entire crew of 1,013 people (assuming he didn't tick himself off) in a single episode! This guy is supposed to be captain? Would you put your life on the line for that jerk?

Its been too long since I saw any movies... my bad.

Still, though: tactical capability is not nessesary for a Captain of a science vessel. Its not a fault of the Captain; its the fault of the people who put him there. Ransom still has my vote (as if I could change it anyway <_< )

Jellico's on the list for being a jerk. However, he did pull off a huge diplomatic coup when he managed to get Picard back with the mines.

I was thinking of Ben Maxwell of the USS Phoenix when I was talking about the civilians getting killed.

It wasn't her fault that there was a muppet at the helm. ;)

Maxwell should have made the list. Well maybe...

Edited by S McCall

I think that J.T. Esteban - USS Grissom was the worsed because if he hadn't of kept asking for star fleet for permission then the Grissom might not of been destory and spock saved at a lot younger age.

But saying that the cap of the Equinox was very bad :angry: he could of got away with kill 1 by acceint but 30 40 well u may all hate me for this but wot he did was all right {joke} but if janeway hadn't met him then the Equinox might of made it home.

"but if janeway hadn't met him then the Equinox might of made it home."

See, she is not only a bad Cpt, she's ebil too.

I rest my case.

A.

But wot he was doing was worng she was right to stop him and also janeway is a good cap cus she invented technoly that destoryed the borg and made star fleet stronger

k, Ransome was the worst, maxwell should be on the list and Janeway, was a kick *** captain anyone who says other wise will face my alter ego.

What alter ego. i am so scared.

And maxwell shouldnt be in the lsit becasue he was a great captain and he was right so there :P

Ransom was miss-guided, he was going what he considered to be the best course of action to get his crew home. He was not the worst captain, that award should go to the captain of the USS Odyssey, although I can't remember his name he was an idiot.

Bye the way Marie i anint scared of u i am imortal!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some 1 sides will me! thanks TPreen

Do the group and i wil join!!!