• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Poll of the Week: United We Stand

Laria Herren

Poll of the Week: United We Stand  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which government do you think would make the easiest transition into Federation membership?

• Klingon Empire
    • Romulan Star Empire
    • Cardassian Union
    • Tholian Assembly
    • Ferengi Alliance
    • Something else? Let us know your thoughts below!

The United Federation of Planets is a union made up of hundreds of member worlds. Starting as an alliance between Humans, Vulcans, Andorians, and Tellarites, the Federation grew outward as more and more worlds joined. Planet by planet and sector by sector the United Federation of Planets expanded its reach across the Alpha Quadrant. Hundreds of species live in harmony and cooperate together to operate the Federation and its military arm, Starfleet. Many governments of varying attitudes and governing styles call the Federation home. However, there are some governments that might not make that transition so gracefully.

Some governments just aren’t well-suited to giving up their autonomy and becoming just one part of a larger whole. They may be too paranoid or too independently-minded to give up their power to a higher organization. Others might consider some of the core ideals of the Federation too restrictive. Joining the post-scarcity Federation without a strong unified currency would be a hard sell for the business-friendly Ferengi. Many of the enemies and allies of the Federation probably wouldn’t smoothly transition from autonomous government to Federation member.

This week’s poll asks you which government you think could make the change easiest. Would the Klingon Empire be able to set aside their more aggressive military policies and merge together with Starfleet? How much work would have to be done to reform Cardassia’s government until it could be accepted? The change would be difficult for any of them, and some might not be able to do it. Which government do you think would make the easiest transition into Federation membership? Let us know what you think below!

• Like 1

I went with Cardassians since we know they had at one time a more stable society before the military takeover. In a post-war Cardassia, I could see them fitting in just like the previously aggressive Andorians. The other factions’ core identities seem too different from the Federation, especially when it comes to tolerance and diversity. As Martok said so well (and which I think Discovery rightfully explored more) about the Klingon view of the existential threat of outsiders:

9EE71DFB-7FCB-4C5E-B356-AA322592D960.gif

4DD2DEC9-F97E-4CC5-BE68-18B2B585486B.gif

• Like 1

My response was the Romulan Star Empire. Here's my reasoning. They've somewhat recently experienced an ecological disaster with the destruction of Hobus and loss of Romulus. In times of disaster, they may be more likely to overcome their isolationist tendencies and accept an offer of peaceful relations from the Federation. It happened with the Klingons after the destruction of Praxis. Pre-disaster their governmental setup was senate-based. This is more democratically inclined and similar to Federation representation than some of the other choices. Though in practice I don't know how close they really are. But at least the general populace would still feel a similar representation in the active politics of the government. This is talking political assimilation potential. However, my answer might change if we focus on ideological assimilation potential. The Romulans have a lot to overcome mentally because of their long-standing secrecy as a group and may see the amalgam that is the Federation as repulsive.

• Like 1

I picked Romulans just because I LOVE ROMULANS and want it to be true, even if they are a little feisty to begin with.

- Bill

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd have to go with either Cardassian or Romulan.  Mostly because they are fairly close to a Federation standard already.  They'd need to weed out the blatant corruption and or dictatorial trends, but I think they already feel comfortable with the basic concepts.

~Patrick

• Like 1

No clue why the Tholian Assembly would be a choice. That's going to be tough trying to get them to join the Federation! Oh and I picked the Cardassian Union

Cardassians for me too. I just saw that they lost almost 1 billion people to the Dominion War, and we know they had to basically rebuild from the ground up. I could see the Federation working with them to promote a democratic government, eventually leading to an alliance or even full fledged membership.

The Klingons at least have a long history of working with the Federation, but I think they'd chafe too much at the restrictions of Federation membership to ever actively pursue that.

• Like 1

In at least one possible future visited by Archer and Daniels, it is implied (but not confirmed) that the Klingons are Federation members by the 26th century. So it's not out of the realm of possibility.

• Like 1