• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

A Selection of Shuttles

Randal Shayne

A Selection of Shuttles   

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which Small Craft Class Was Your Favorite?

• Shuttlepods from Enterprise
    • Class- F Shuttles from the Original Series
    • Delta Flyer from Voyager
    • Captain's Yacht from Star Trek: Insurrection
    • Danube Class Runabouts from Deep Space 9

There's no denying that transporters are nifty bits of machinery. They can transmit a person or thing hundreds of miles, to arrive safely (usually) at a given destination. However, it seems like these transporters can be easily beaten. Ion storms, power surges, combat shields and dozens of other factors have been known to render them inoperable. When they inevitably go wrong, there's only one way to travel.   Yes, I'm talking about shuttlecraft. Say what you will about them, they're handy to have aboard in a pinch, and can be used for so many different tasks. Need to be towed out of a nucleonic particle nebula? Or how about rescuing stranded crew on a Class-L planet? Over the years, different designs have come forth, each with their own spirit and legacies. This Poll of the Week asks you to think back, and choose your favorite small Starfleet crafts. Was the reletively primitive shuttlepod from Enterprise a winner in your mind, or do you prefer the beefy functionality of a runabout? Tell us in the comments below! 

Of those listed, I love the design of the Cousteau from Insurrection, with the Danubes in a close second, but my favourite shuttles arent even listed... top goes to the Type 11 (also from Insurrection) and 2nd place goes to the Type 9s from Voyager.

Of those listed, I love the design of the Cousteau from Insurrection, with the Danubes in a close second, but my favourite shuttles arent even listed... 

Yeah, I do apologize about that- probably should have added more classes. There are so many that I didn't want people getting overwhelmed. Good to know for the future. :) 

And yes, the Cousteau is a beautiful shuttle. Can't go wrong with that one. 

5 hours ago, Brell said:

They are more of a mini-starship than just a shuttle.

I mean they have their own names and unique registry numbers... so they pretty much are considered a starship by Starfleet...

On 5/25/2017 at 11:42 AM, Solaris said:

I mean they have their own names and unique registry numbers... so they pretty much are considered a starship by Starfleet...

Yep which is why I choose not to vote for the runabouts from DS9, also the Delta Flyer really really isn't a shuttle (I mean just consider how its used! And I think this is the limiting factor). So I know I am shooting myself in the foot but I am going to vote for the Enterprise E's captain Yacht. Just because the type 9 wasn't on the list. :)

4 hours ago, Arden Cain said:

Yep which is why I choose not to vote for the runabouts from DS9, also the Delta Flyer really really isn't a shuttle (I mean just consider how its used! And I think this is the limiting factor). So I know I am shooting myself in the foot but I am going to vote for the Enterprise E's captain Yacht. Just because the type 9 wasn't on the list. :)

Why wouldnt the Flyer be a shuttle? Its registered to Voyager (NCC-74656, rather than a unique number), and it is used as a shuttle many times (infact in pretty much replaces the type 9's role once its built.

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/28/2017 at 9:19 PM, Solaris said:

Why wouldnt the Flyer be a shuttle? Its registered to Voyager (NCC-74656, rather than a unique number), and it is used as a shuttle many times (infact in pretty much replaces the type 9's role once its built.

Because the Flyer pretty much replaces the entirety of the Voyager in many missions. Its a fully sledge starship in its own right. 

2 hours ago, Kendra Eberhart said:

Because the Flyer pretty much replaces the entirety of the Voyager in many missions. Its a fully sledge starship in its own right. 

No it doesnt. Most of the time its used in the same role a Type 9 would be used in. Just is better at it because it purposely designed to perform multiple roles. It may supplement Voyager many times, but thats what shuttles should do.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2017 at 2:27 PM, Solaris said:

No it doesnt. Most of the time its used in the same role a Type 9 would be used in. Just is better at it because it purposely designed to perform multiple roles. It may supplement Voyager many times, but thats what shuttles should do.

Perhaps the best analogy i could make,  and this is strictly in my opinion, shuttles are almost like cars. Cars ferry people from point A to point B and that is exactly what shuttles do when a starship in unavailable or impractical. The Delta Flyer and even runabouts could be described as camper vans. Yes they can ferry people around but they also have that handy bed and kitchen sink. As such they are used for more then simple ferrying of people. And let us not forget that Voyager had a limited number of auxiliary craft so it makes sense that the Delta Flyer would be used predominantly (seeing as it was better equipped and armed for missions in unexplored/hostile territory). 

Anyway that is the logic behind my assertions. :)