• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Write for the FNS!

Rahman and Rivi Vataix

100px-FNS.png

Are you an aspiring reporter? The Federation News Service (FNS) is always looking for journalists and contributors to help keep the public informed about the latest developments across the quadrants!

About the Federation News Sevice

The Federation News Service is an independent news agency dedicating to providing citizens of the United Federation of Planets the latest news and stories from across the galaxy. With a rich history that dates back to the founding of the Federation, FNS reporters have covered every major development over the centuries, from the era of the first colonies to the award-winning coverage of the Dominion War.

Where to Find Us

Access the latest headlines from the FNS through our main portal. For those on the go, subscribe to our data feed30px-Twitter.pngto have news updates sent to your personal access display device. You can also add us to your home screen 20px-Facebook.png .

Contributing to the FNS

The Federation News Service welcomes both one-time and regular headline submissions for inclusion in the headlines newsfeed.
Objectives of FNS Headlines
  • Provide "bite-sized" IC news developments that can be shared across ships and referenced in sims to promote greater fleet IC continuity.
  • Give a fun, non-Starfleet creative avenue for simmers to develop the larger prime Trek universe. What's going on in the sports world of the Federation? What's the newest holonovel to hit the suites? You can help shape life in the 24th century!
  • Incorporate IC sim developments into the headlines to provide yet another way of telling our stories.
Submitting a Story
Simply edit the headlines page under the appropriate section (politics, sports, etc.) to add your new headline. Headlines should be listed in reverse chronological order with the newest headlines of a section listed first.
Want to become a regular contributor (as an OOC activity)?
Leave a message with one of our editors. As a regular contributor, aim to update the headlines page with at least two new headlines a week. As the headlines page fills up, clean up old headlines by moving them to the news archive page. Look over one-time submissions for spelling, grammar, etc.
What if I want to write an actual IC news article?
You are very much welcome to do so! Check out the FNS archive for some examples of previous IC news articles and see below for our manual of style. However, writing out an actual article is purely optional for regular contributors. New weekly headlines are all that's required.
FNS Manual of Style
Ready to write your first IC news article? Follow these simple tips to give it that extra polish:
1) Add a headline.
Make it a very brief, attention-grabbing summary (something you'd see on a Twitter announcement that'd make you want to click to read more).
Examples:
  • USS Apollo-A investigates coup on Pertania

• Marriage of Federation Ambassador

• Starfleet officer presumed KIA as USS Gemini responded to Rathos Prime pathogen

2) Add a location marker and a single introductory sentence in the following format:
MAIN LOCATION OF EVENTS — One introductory sentence that summarizes the entire article.
Examples:
  • PERTANIA PRIME — After a sudden coup d'etat on Pertainia Prime, Starfleet has dispatched the USS Apollo-A to evacuate the Federation Embassy.

• TRILL — Ambassador Della Vetri and Lt. Commander T’Lea were wed on the ambassador's homeworld.

• RATHOS PRIME — Lt. JG Vanessa Driscoll is missing and presumed KIA after becoming infected with the deadly pathogen her ship USS Gemini was attempting to cure.

3) Put a quote from someone somewhere in the rest of your article.
Whether it's from someone on your crew directly, an MSPNPC, or even someone who doesn't actually appear in your sims but would make sense as someone making a statement to the press.
Examples:
  • "We will not tolerate such an assault on the legitimate Pertainian government, but our first priority is the safety of our own people," said Secretary Douglas of the Federation Security Council.

• "With everything happening around the quadrants these days, it's nice to be able to come together for friends and family and just celebrate, and I couldn't be happier for the Ambassador," said Anora Manar, a guest from the USS Atlantis.

• "Every Starfleet officer knows the risks that come with the uniform. Lieutenant Driscoll died trying to help others in the best traditions of Starfleet and the Federation, and we join her crew in their mourning," said Doctor Rajani of Starfleet Medical.

Full Example Articles:

Essays, Editorials, and Special Reports

You can also feel free to write special reports, essays, and editorials that you might find in a news magazine such as Time, the Economist, or the New Yorker. In doing so, the "rules" are a little more relaxed.

Example: Special Report: The Face of Treason

If you have any questions, feel free to reply below!

Edited by Rich
  • Like 4

• 3 years later...

Hello Roshanara,

I am interested in becoming a member of the FNS. Richard Cade aka Jarred Thoran suggested I contact you to see about joining.

Steve aka Krindo Pandorn

On 9/4/2018 at 2:14 PM, Krindo Pandorn said:

Hello Roshanara,

I am interested in becoming a member of the FNS. Richard Cade aka Jarred Thoran suggested I contact you to see about joining.

Steve aka Krindo Pandorn

Awesome! I’ve sent you a PM.

• 4 years later...

I too would like to join the FNS team.  I'm Don, I write for V'Len Kel of the USS Oumuamua.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, VLen Kel said:

I too would like to join the FNS team.  I'm Don, I write for V'Len Kel of the USS Oumuamua.  Thanks!

Ooo, send a message to @Jo Marshall! She's the facilitator of the FNS team these days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VLen Kel said:

'Ello! I've shot you a DM on Discord.

• 11 months later...
On 11/22/2014 at 5:04 PM, Rahman and Rivi Vataix said:

http://wiki.starbase118.net/wiki/images/thumb/e/e4/FNS.png/100px-FNS.png

Are you an aspiring reporter? The Federation News Service (FNS) is always looking for journalists and contributors to help keep the public informed about the latest developments across the quadrants!

About the Federation News Sevice

The Federation News Service is an independent news agency dedicating to providing citizens of the United Federation of Planets the latest news and stories from across the galaxy. With a rich history that dates back to the founding of the Federation, FNS reporters have covered every major development over the centuries, from the era of the first colonies to the award-winning coverage of the Dominion War.

Where to Find Us

Access the latest headlines from the FNS through our main portal. For those on the go, subscribe to our data feedhttp://wiki.starbase118.net/wiki/images/thumb/f/f7/Twitter.png/30px-Twitter.pngto have news updates sent to your personal access display device. You can also add us to your home screen http://wiki.starbase118.net/wiki/images/thumb/5/55/Facebook.png/20px-Facebook.png .

Contributing to the FNS

The Federation News Service welcomes both one-time and regular headline submissions for inclusion in the headlines newsfeed.

Objectives of FNS Headlines
  • Provide "bite-sized" IC news developments that can be shared across ships and referenced in sims to promote greater fleet IC continuity.
  • Give a fun, non-Starfleet creative avenue for simmers to develop the larger prime Trek universe. What's going on in the sports world of the Federation? What's the newest holonovel to hit the suites? You can help shape life in the 24th century!
  • Incorporate IC sim developments into the headlines to provide yet another way of telling our stories.
Submitting a Story
Simply edit the headlines page under the appropriate section (politics, sports, etc.) to add your new headline. Headlines should be listed in reverse chronological order with the newest headlines of a section listed first.

Want to become a regular contributor (as an OOC activity)?
Leave a message with one of our editors. As a regular contributor, aim to update the headlines page with at least two new headlines a week. As the headlines page fills up, clean up old headlines by moving them to the news archive page. Look over one-time submissions for spelling, grammar, etc.

What if I want to write an actual IC news article?
You are very much welcome to do so! Check out the FNS archive for some examples of previous IC news articles and see below for our manual of style. However, writing out an actual article is purely optional for regular contributors. New weekly headlines are all that's required.

FNS Manual of Style
Ready to write your first IC news article? Follow these simple tips to give it that extra polish:

1) Add a headline.
Make it a very brief, attention-grabbing summary (something you'd see on a Twitter announcement that'd make you want to click to read more).

Examples:
  • USS Apollo-A investigates coup on Pertania

• Marriage of Federation Ambassador

• Starfleet officer presumed KIA as USS Gemini responded to Rathos Prime pathogen

2) Add a location marker and a single introductory sentence in the following format:
MAIN LOCATION OF EVENTS — One introductory sentence that summarizes the entire article.

Examples:
  • PERTANIA PRIME — After a sudden coup d'etat on Pertainia Prime, Starfleet has dispatched the USS Apollo-A to evacuate the Federation Embassy.

• TRILL — Ambassador Della Vetri and Lt. Commander T’Lea were wed on the ambassador's homeworld.

• RATHOS PRIME — Lt. JG Vanessa Driscoll is missing and presumed KIA after becoming infected with the deadly pathogen her ship USS Gemini was attempting to cure.

3) Put a quote from someone somewhere in the rest of your article.
Whether it's from someone on your crew directly, an MSPNPC, or even someone who doesn't actually appear in your sims but would make sense as someone making a statement to the press.

Examples:
  • "We will not tolerate such an assault on the legitimate Pertainian government, but our first priority is the safety of our own people," said Secretary Douglas of the Federation Security Council.

• "With everything happening around the quadrants these days, it's nice to be able to come together for friends and family and just celebrate, and I couldn't be happier for the Ambassador," said Anora Manar, a guest from the USS Atlantis.

• "Every Starfleet officer knows the risks that come with the uniform. Lieutenant Driscoll died trying to help others in the best traditions of Starfleet and the Federation, and we join her crew in their mourning," said Doctor Rajani of Starfleet Medical.

Full Example Articles:

Essays, Editorials, and Special Reports

You can also feel free to write special reports, essays, and editorials that you might find in a news magazine such as Time, the Economist, or the New Yorker. In doing so, the "rules" are a little more relaxed.

Example: Special Report: The Face of Treason

If you have any questions, feel free to reply below!

I know I am about 4 years late to this, but I am incredibly interested in joining the FNS if you'd have me. I do freelance journalism on the side IRL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.