All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. “Toow-u latseen khaa jeexh attee.” Juneau motto translated from Tlingit language it means “It gives strength to the Spirit.” The Tlingit language is spoken by the indigenous Tlingit who resided along the coastline from the Pacific Northwest to Alaska. The USS Juneau (NX-99801) launched stardate 239705 (May 2020) under the command of Captain Oddas Aria. The ship was designed with experimental warp technology. It is the first to utilize this advanced warp propulsion system. Fittingly, Captain Oddas co-developed a prototype Warp XV engine that eventually became known as the Oddas-Raham Next Generation Warp Propulsion Assembly, the precursor to the now OR-400MV. The Juneau is the first non-test ship to hold the OR-400MV and it is still working out some of the kinks. She is a fast ship with a cruising speed of warp 12 with a maximum sustainable cruising speed of warp 14 and a maximum warp speed of 15. When contacted for this article, Captain Oddas Aria noted the ship was “designed to be used as a test bed. It’s the result of really a multi-year effort from a lot of talented people in the fleet and I’m just beyond glad that we get to be the ones who are trusted with its continued success.” With a significant complement spanning across 26 decks, the ship has adapted to meet the working and personal lives of officers, crew, and civilians. Commander Shayne noted that “there’s so much variety, so much opportunity, and yet so much responsibility. On a ship with seven hundred people at any given time, managing crew rosters and duty obligations can be a serious challenge. At the same time, though, there is so much we can explore once those smaller matters are handled.” Many systems beyond the experimental warp propulsion have seen significant upgrades. Chief Intelligence Officer Commander Ash MacKenna has been able to customize the Intelligence suite and as she says, “make it as nifty and spooky as I please.” In addition, two sickbays offer state of the art medical technology to respond to both expected and unexpected emergencies. Regarding the upgrades, Executive Officer Commander Shayne is quick to point out that “our sensors are among the finest in the fleet, our engines can get us into nooks and crannies that haven’t even been explored by probes, but the most important aspect of our vessel is the crew.” The diversity of staff is a testament to the diversity of the Federation. Senior crew species include Bajoran, Human, Betazoid, Trill, Kerelian, Argelian, Magna Roman, Ullian, Fabrini, Rodulan, Vulcan, and Caitain. The Juneau seizes the advantage of the strengths and abilities of the diversity of the crew and leverages them to advantage. The Juneau currently finds itself assigned to explore the Aavaros Wilds, an area of space annexed by the Cardassian Union. To ensure stability in the region as the Cardassians vacate, the Federation provides exploration and other local services. The USS Eagle began initial patrols and discovered a rogue Gul fighting to restore the former Cardassian military state and a race known as The People who practice a severe form of eugenics. The Chief Science and Second Officer, Lieutenant Commander Quentin Collins III added that “The Wilds always seem to live up its name, but I think the strengthened position of the Juneau will allow us a bit more freedom among the various factions and interests. Though we have no wish to be seen as a sort of occupying flagship to the region, I think the presence of the Juneau will facilitate some of the more aggressive and expansion minded parties to look at us a bit more seriously in the coming months.” Reports from the field note a new batch of Academy graduates recently joined the Juneau in her maiden voyage to explore a comet emitting Eichner radiation. This mission tested the newly formed crew who have little experience working together. Nearly half of the crew made their way to the USS Arrow, found abandoned and salvageable, ready for a new complement to take command. Learn more about the Juneau on the wiki. The post Ship Closeup: USS Juneau appeared first on StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG. View the full article
  3. ((OOC: This JP with Noelle has been in google drive for a LONG time. So it is finally time to post it )) (( Quarters D'Sena )) The announcement about the Vacation planet had been ship wide, so Akeelah had heard it too. She couldn't imagine that the planet was suitable for her visit in the wheelchair and she was not yet stable on her legs. But what had really occupied her mind since then was the invitation towards families. Her own family was too busy to get all the way out here and the only family that she wanted to see even more was across the galaxy on Starbase 118. She sat behind her desk, the small box in her hand open, displaying a Jade ring she had not yet sent back to Jack. It had been surprisingly had for her to do so because it felt like she had a piece of him here. Her mind went back to several months ago when he had sent it to her. (( Flashback - about a year ago )) ((Starbase -118)) There’s a lot of work that goes into planning a wedding. Seriously - like a lot. And with so much distance it’s astronomical. At least for most people. However this was Jack Gard and Akeelah D’Sena we’re talking about. There were things to decide, however, both big and small. Decision of big and little consequence. First and foremost, the ring… something not so easy. Jack had gone to various little shops looking for just the right ring. Something that said… Something that was ‘Akeelah’. Which seemed harder then he had originally thought. They were too small, too flashy, too… everything. Anything. Nothing was right. Computer replicas, by the thousands, took to long to sift through causing him to abandon such endeavors. It was bordering on frustrating. Why couldn’t he find what he wanted? It wasn’t until he received a little package in the mail. In a hand made box with ornate oriental patterns all about it. It was small and could have easily gotten lost, and yet many took care to bring it to his personal quarters, hand delivered. He sat quietly, simply looking at the box. Jack knew who it was from, the only people in his life who would send such a box. What he didn’t know was what was inside it. He took a sharp breath in, held it for a long moment while his hands reached out. One on the lid the other hold still the rest. Like a bandaid, he opened it swiftly. There was cotton-like material stuffed inside. He curiously pulled out the stuffing, a small clater fell on his table top. His heart nearly skipped a beat, as his eyes fell upon the small jade rings laying tied together. Those were the wedding bands that belonged to Tabby’s grandparents, before they renewed their vows and gave each other two new rings. These were old pieces of jewelry, handed down to each generation. It had been discussed that Jack and Jessica were to get them. But he had been stubborn, insisting on something new, bright and dazzling. Believe it or not, but he had been a bit foolish in his younger years from time to time. He swallowed hard, picking them up and holding them in the palm of his hand. They felt… heavy. This was not only approval of the marriage, but also an unspoken question to carry on their tradition, to keep their part of the family apart of his… apart of Tabby’s. He squeezed them tightly as his chest clenched too. It had been a long time since he thought of his passed wife. Was it selfish? Foolish of him to let his mind wonder to her, knowing he was working getting to ready to marry another… he hoped she would be happy for him, that he’d finally moved on and found such happiness and joy. He would send them to Akeelah, seeking her approval. There was no way for him know if she would see the honor or the taboo in keeping the rings. He wrote her a long letter, talking of all sorts of things; his had, how Tabitha was doing, and school. He asked her of her day and her health. And at the very end, before signing off, he asked her about the rings. . ((USS Constitution, Marchlands, Akeelah D’Sena’s personal quarters - a little while later)) It had been a busy day full of work and rehab. Akeelah had finally returned to her quarters. She had gotten used to gauging the distance between the wheels of her chair and the doorframes or the furniture. Such a long time in this thing would do that. As always her first way was to the desk in the corner, where she pressed a button to activate a small holoimage that flickered into existence. The piercing warm eyes of Jack looked right at her, beneath him the sparkling bright eyes of his daughter Tabby. Akeelah smiled gently, running her fingers through the apparition, tickling over her skin as they went right through it. Computer: One message waiting. The reminder of the computer, which had noticed she was around, pulled her out of her melancholy. She missed both of them. D’Sena: Play message. Computer: One delivery for Akeelah D’Sena has been placed on the table. She pulled her brows together and turned her head, noticing the small package on the table top. While she wasn’t a big fan of strangers entering her quarters without her being here, she appreciated that the delivery had not been delayed or taken back to the service offices. Placing her hands on the the wheels of her chair she moved to the table and picked up the small package. Opening it she found a letter first and a smile played around her lips as she recognized Jack’s handwriting on the paper. It was as if she could hear his voice, telling her about his day, all the things that he and Tabby did. Her cheeks flushed at some parts that went into a lot of detail about how much he missed her. She couldn’t pretend that she didn’t feel the same way. As the letter prompted her to open the package inside, she pulled it out and opened the box, revealing two circular objects made of a green shiny stone. She pulled one of them out and noticed that they were heavier than expected, the light from the ceiling reflected on the smooth surface. D’Sena: ::mumbling:: Beautiful… but what is it? She went back to read the letter and her brows raised when she read the explanation Jack had included. Her eyes went back to the rings, forehead furrowed in confusion. D’Sena: Computer, what is the meaning of wedding rings? Computer: In various cultures a wedding ring or wedding band is a finger ring that indicates that its wearer is married. It can be manufactured from various materials. Depending on culture, a wedding ring is typically worn on the base of the left or right ring finger. Many spouses wear their wedding rings day and night, causing an indentation in the skin that is visible even when the ring is removed. Certain cultures consider it unlucky to remove a wedding ring once it has been placed - D’Sena: Stop. ::She watched the ring curiously.:: Why is it important? Computer: Due to their design wedding rings are seen as a symbol of eternal love and has been an emblem of love through time, a symbol of devotion and an agreement between two parties to love and cherish one another. D’Sena: Huh… It was the first time she actually had heard about wedding rings. The time off her own home planet had been limited to the Academy, the Apollo and the Constitution. She was aware of married couples, but hadn’t known that they wore something to show their unity. Since Rodulans didn’t marry this was all new to her. She still held the ring between her fingers and in the spur of the moment pushed it on her left ring finger. Raising her hand, she looked at the contrast between the jade green and the dark skin. The heavy material did its own to make her realize that something was on her finger. She could imagine it to be a constant reminder of her bond with Jack. Was this why people wore these? She couldn’t help but smile. D’Sena: Computer, establish connection to Lieutenant Jack Gard, Starbase 118. The computer beeped in compliance and the screen popped into a rotating Starfleet logo. Since it had to go through all kinds of relays she knew there would be a delay but she didn’t mind those few seconds of waiting between answers. Gard: ::somewhat concerned:: Akeelah? ::he scanned her face. He hadn’t expected to hear from her.:: Is everything alright? D’Sena: What? Can’t I call my fiancée out of the blue? His features softened, giving her one of his ‘just for you’ smiles. It was nice - more than nice really. Gard: Fiancée? ::he teased her lightly.:: D’Sena: I looked up the term. I used it right, didn’t I? ::She was worried to have learned the wrong term for a moment.:: Gard: ::a single nod.:: Yes, you did. ::he assured her.:: D’Sena: Good. ::Relief washed through her:: I got your package. Ah, so that was the reason for the call. They were from two different worlds - meaning there were differences and one could make the other uncomfortable if they were cautious. Gard: And? ::he asked.:: D’Sena: Did you buy them? Gard: No, ::he sighed slightly.:: Tabby’s grandparents gave them to me. D’Sena: Your parents? Gard: No… ::he repeated.:: Her mother’s parents. ::hesitantly.:: Akeelah tilted her head ever so slightly, a gesture that anyone but Jack wouldn’t even have noticed. D’Sena: Are these the rings you and your late wife wore? There was no judgement or anger in the words, just sheer curiosity. Gard: No, we didn’t take them at the time. ::curiously.:: does it fit? She looked down to her hand, the ring embracing her finger was out of camera view. With a material like that changing the size would have been hard, and how big was the chance of it actually fitting like that? It was like it was made for her. She raised her eyes again and then her hand followed, showing him the jade ring on her finger in a beautiful contrast to her dark skin. D’Sena: It fits perfectly. Gard: ::better question.:: Are they acceptable? The gaze of her pitch black eyes softened, something only noticeable when one had spend a lot of time looking into Rodulan eyes. She knew he tried hard. Since her people didn’t marry they both didn’t have a script to go by. There was no example on how to deal with these two cultures and traditions entering this kind of situation. All they had was their love and their compromises to make this special for both of them. D’Sena: They are beautiful. He was relieved. Part of it because he couldn’t seem to find anything he liked better and partly because of what it meant to Tabby’s grandparents. Jack offered a soft smile in return. He wished he could see her in person, how he missed her. There was a Terran saying that fit this feeling: distance made the heart grow fonder. He must have gotten lost in thought as she spoke up again. Her voice low with a hint of the emotion that bubbled just beneath her surface. If he hadn’t known her so well, he might have noticed. D’Sena: ::Lowering her hand again:: I will return the box to you, to keep them until we need them. Gard: Is there anything you’d like - something specific from your world or beliefs in regards to the wedding? They hadn’t had much chance to talk about such things in details. So it was a lot of guess-work and trying to find a happy balance. While he’d gone through the process once before, Akeelah was a different woman and her needs were vastly different from his first wife. Something he appreciated. D’Sena: My people do not have traditions or rituals like weddings. ::She thought:: But we have a bonding ceremony. Since I honour your traditions, maybe we can implement some of mine. Gard: Absolutely. ::as if she really needed to ask.:: I just need to know what. Akeelah began to speak of her own traditions and Jack listened to her description of something she wished to bring into their wedding. It would be a mixture of Terran and Rodulan and them. Which seemed more than fitting. He smiled softly as she explained yet another facet of her people’s culture. Gard: I think that will fit nicely. D’Sena: I am glad. He gave a long pause, studying her face. Memorizing her features. It would be some time still till he could be close to her. Before he could hold her again. Distance was a terrible thing in reality. D’Sena: I wonder where your thoughts are. If he had been here, she would know. But this was how things were right now. He had duty to uphold far away. Gard: Hmmm? ::He was pulled from his inner thoughts.:: I’m sorry - I was just thinking about … how much I wish there wasn’t so much distance between us. ::he admitted.:: D’Sena: ::A more open smile, she placed her hand on the screen.:: I wish the same. I can't wait to see you again in person. ((/Flashback )) She took a deep breath and brushed her fingertips over the smooth surface of the ring. She missed him so much it was painful. But it would be worth it in the end. If the time apart had shown her one thing it was that her heart didn't easily change. Maybe someday soon she could tell him in person. ---- Lieutenant Jack Gard Engineer simmed by Lieutenant Commander Nijil Executive Officer Starbase 118 Ops USS Narendra A239202RH0 & LtCmdr Akeelah D'Sena Security Officer - Momentarily off duty simmed by Commodore Jalana Rajel Commanding Officer USS Constitution B Image Team Co-Facilitator A238906JL0
  4. Yesterday
  5. I do love me an instrumental, something preferably with a lovely cello mainline and a nice deep bass to communicate the fathomless expanse of space
  6. I think this situation highlights where our format can produce some incredible and dramatic storytelling - @Wes Greaves invoked these very accessible and believable newlywed officers in his first sim (The Cost, below) and I was immediately struck by the personal nature of the storytelling within the context of a larger disaster aboard ship. I spoke to him over Discord and, with his blessing, built upon his start. Lets hope things work out for these two
  7. This kind of stuff is why we can't have anything nice on the USS Thor... and why I love hate writing with those nerds Good Job Guarantee @Geoffrey Teller
  8. This is a direct punch in the feelings, you are warned. This is Mr. Walsh's first (and so far only) SIM, the view of what is happening on the USS Thor from the viewpoint of one of those nondescript characters that fill the background of our scenes, that manages to summarize, rather promptly, the emotional cost of what the "officers at the top" are trying to fix. Really, really well written and an excellent sample of the good work of @Wes Greaves I won't forgive you this, sir.
  9. Two appreciation posts from me in a week but I do have to say I’m a huge huge sucker for lots of fine, intricate description. I absolutely loved the atmosphere. MOAR please 😂And I do also have to say sailing ships are fantastic. @Jarred Thoran ((Somewhere in the Atlantic, HMS Destiny)) ((OOC: Just a little something from Jarred's unconscious state)) Jarred stood on the quarterdeck, a sweeping view of the ship in front of him, men busying themselves with work. The ship in question was the 32-gun fifth rate frigate, HMS Destiny, a 19th century Royal Navy ship.It had a deck composed of great wooden planks, with three huge masts protruding from it. Each of the masts was furnished with great off white sails. Above were clear blue skies and below dark blue water. The swell of the waves caused the ship to roll gently, creating an almost calming effect. He took a deep breath, feeling the sea air filling his lungs. He’d always felt more at home on the sea, the oak planks beneath his feet than he ever had on land. He had been fascinated by the sea from an early age, the mysteriousness of what lurked in the depths, the adventures to be had in distant lands. A sudden sway caused a splash of salt filled water to hit his face and a moment later the peacefulness was broken as a voice called out. Callan: Hands to quarters. Hands to quarters. Enemy ship to larboard. The previously quiet humdrum on the deck now becoming a hive of activity as the crew hurried to their stations. The air filled with the sounds of shouting of orders, the drumming of the marines and the piping of the whistle. In mere minutes the entire crew had turned onto the deck, many racing up from below. Standing beside Jarred was Lieutenant Callan, who was presently occupied with the telescope, keeping track of their enemy. The deck rumbled and groaned as the 12-pound cannons were rolled out into position. A contingent of red coated marines had joined Jarred and his officers on the quarterdeck, their muskets aiming at the ship now bearing down on them. Thoran: Fire as we bear Mister Stanway. Stanway: Aye aye sir. A moment passed and Jarred smiled to himself, pleased with how swiftly his crew had run their guns out and had prepared for action. There was a certain thrill with the anticipation of battle. The Destiny had been assigned to patrol the shipping lanes after a spate of pirate attacks against the merchant shipping in the region. After two days on the hunt they had finally found their prey. The ship on the horizon was larger than the Destiny, but Destiny had the advantage of the weather gage on their side. With the weather gage, Destiny would be the one to dictate the terms of engagement. They were upwind of their opponent, meaning they would be able to manouvere at will towards them downwind.. Stanway: FIRE! As his First Lieutenant gave the order, it resounded down the ship, each officer repeating the order for the gun crews to hear. The fuses to the canons were lit and a couple of seconds later the deck was awash with smoke, the sound of cannon fire filling the air. ------------------------------------------- Commander Jarred Thoran Commanding Officer, USS Atlantis NCC-74682 A239405JT0
  10. --> I really get the spirit here Mr. @Keneth Nakada. I would say it was a naive move, but a very good character building stuff. Nicely done. Original post here --> I Connect The Spider - Part 1
  11. I actually like the Enterprise theme song. Please don't throw things at me! Back when I was on the Columbia I made the following intro credits view and set it to Mr. Mister's "Kyrie". The lyrics of the song repeat the phrase "kyrie eleison" which in English means "Lord, have mercy." I thought the concept of looking for a deity's blessing on your travels was a nice theme that went well with the exploration of the far reaches of the galaxy and venturing into the unknown that was our ship's assignment. As far as the Gorkon goes, I believe our theme song would more appropriately be party-oriented - something upbeat and catchy. Something like "Party Rock Anthem" by LMFAO. 😀
  12. MENTHAR CORRIDOR — After completing a high-risk extraction of the colonists and officers trapped far beneath the surface of Vel Meijan, the crew of the USS Thor (NCC-82607) takes much-needed leave on nearby Ferenginar. Elynn Flynn, the current colonial administrator and granddaughter of colony founder Hunter Flynn, was among the last group transported aboard the Thor before it warped to safety. This has presented an unexpected change in circumstances for her and her people. “It’s a lot… And it’s a lot to take in at once. But we’ll make it. This colony’s been through much worse than a shiny new planet – we’ll make it work.” After pausing considerably, she added, “We have to.” With the mission behind them, Fleet Captain Kells has offered the crew shore leave while the Thor observes a migrating pod of gormaganders. The rare spaceborne creatures are on the Federations protected species list, and the dedicated science vessel USS Tharsis has been dispatched to further study the creatures. Ensign Tara Wilkins is using the opportunity to study the creatures at short range. “This is perhaps the first time we’ve seen gormaganders in a pod before,” she explained when approached for comment. “They are mostly solitary creatures. It certainly was a once in a lifetime event to see them up close and personal.” When asked about the dangers involved in their study, Ens. Wilkins went on to say, “There was an ahasitor that was attacking the group of gormaganders. Captain Kells ordered us back, determining it was too dangerous to be close to them. Other than that gormaganders are mostly gentle creatures.” Members of the crew not involved in scientific pursuits used the downtime to conduct a chilli-cook off, some sporting activities and several have chosen to visit the perpetually precipitating Ferenginar. Before taking on their next mission, the Thor is scheduled to run a series of routine diagnostics on their Quantum Slipstream Drive to ensure the strange radiation observed on their last mission had no lasting effect. Rumours of a sphere of unknown origin being detected in the Vel Meijan system shortly before it vanished again remain unconfirmed at press time. Written by Geoffrey Teller The post Colonists Saved From Vanishing World, Crew Enjoys Shore Leave appeared first on UFOP: StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG. View the full article
  13. Last week
  14. T'Suran stepped off the transport, looking down on the heads of the cadets in front of them. They fidgeted, adjusting their uniform, and pulling the strap of their bag higher up on their shoulder. They walked onward, moving aside to avoid blocking the doorway, then made their way to a group of cadets sitting around a table. As they slid into a seat and placed a covered hand on the shoulder of the Betazoid cadet beside them, the conversation stopped. “Nolli.” they greeted softly “T'Suran! Hi! These are Ukod, Rusee, Bolal, and Carjed.” She said as she gestured around the table. T'Suran nodded in acknowledgment, noting the Betazoid, Saurian, Andorian, and Trill men. She continued speaking “Boys this is T'Suran. They helped me graduate.” The men seemed unimpressed. “Vulcan?” Bolal grunted curiously. They inclined their head minutely. “Mostly. Greetings.” they refocused their attention on Nolli. “Shall we go sign in? You had requested I accompany you.” She jumped up and replied happily. “Yep! Let's go!” She seized their hand and hauled them off towards the sign-in booth. T'Suran found themselves grateful for the gloves they wore. As the two approached the table, T'Suran paused to take their PADD out and gestured for Nolli to do the same. “Thanks, T'Suran.” “It was not a problem.” They reached the table and moved handed their PADD to the officer seated behind. “Cadet T'Suran? Half-Vulcan? 5'10" and 24 years of age?” T'Suran nodded at each question. “Look at this Bill, another Doctor. We just had a Caitian Doctor come through.” T'Suran stood formally while the officer finished reading through their information, frequently making comments. “All right Doctor you're all set. Run and get some food or something, you have around three hours.” T'Suran acknowledged and thanked him before moving to where Nolli was waiting. “So you want to go to get some food?” “If you wish” they acquiesced. The two moved towards the Turbolift, loading inside with several others. T'Suran observed that, despite the human majority, many of the rarer races could be found. They spotted a few who may be Vulcan judging by the pale skin and straight posture mirrored on their own body. As they stepped out into the commercial area they looked down at Nolli, noticing she was pulling on their sleeve. They tilted their head softly, asking what she wanted. "T'Suran? Can I braid your hair? It's so long and... Well, you know. It's blonde." They smiled softly at the excitable girl. "Of course you may. Thank you Nolli." They closed their pale brown eyes. The girl was much kinder than others who pointed out the features that made them so clearly hybrid.
  15. Insert obligatory hatred of Faith of the Heart here But also This.
  16. Just what Kelrod needed, a new sister that was a counselor, and that has an infant as a secret weapon. Poor uncle Kel...
  17. The universe of Star Trek has given us some beautiful pieces of music. These iconic works of art embody the vastness of space and the wandering spirit of our favorite heroes as they traipse through the galaxy each week. The warbling tones of The Original Series reminded us of the other-worldly nature of their journey among the stars. The Next Generation brought a brassy and unforgettable tune that energized us for the story ahead. Each piece fit into an amazing tapestry of audible delight. And don’t get us started on the movies! When Enterprise aired, however, many fans were split on the inclusion of music with lyrics – Russel Watson’s “Where My Heart Will Take Me”. For some, it is the perfect reflection of the explorer’s creed. It reminds us that the intrepid explorers are on a mission that is led by their beating hearts. It is why they are out there among the stars and why we watch their exploits with such rapt attention. For others, it’s something to be banished from memory. For our poll this week, we invite you to imagine that the ship or installation you serve on is the setting for a Star Trek television show. What would be the music playing over the opening credits? Let us know what music reflects the culture and ethos of your ship! Click here to head to the forums now and vote in this week’s poll. Be sure to leave a comment in the thread! The post Poll of the Week: Opening Credits Music appeared first on UFOP: StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG. View the full article
  18. For me personally I think instrumental suits the Atlantis but it’s gotta be this piece.
  19. ((Holodeck 23, StarBase 118)) German had been feeling rather nostalgic about the moment when he started training as a cadet two years ago up until more recent days. A little over a year ago, the Denobulan was given the opportunity to become a training officer himself which was one of the more exciting things he enjoys doing. Any time the Academy Commandant would allow him to be either the training commanding officer, first officer, or disguised as a mock cadet, he’d waste little time to get ready to teach the future officers of Starfleet. One of his most memorable classes was with a Risian female cadet named Charlena Vanlith who he had read that she was making a name for herself in the Shoals aboard the USS Veritas. Knowing that there’d be a rough connection due to the tetryon fields that more often than not blocked any way of communication to be sent, German waited for a freighter to be shipped out from Ops to the Shoals. He had spoken with the owner of the freighter if he could send some communication beacon like probes and have them be placed in the direction he went out in space to hopefully be a temporary way to meet with Charlena. As he waited, German had figured up an encryption code so there'd be no way for anyone to break through the firewall. First, he typed in his Denobulan language, translated the first bit of coding to Klingon, and finished with a mix of Trill and El-Aurian. After a few weeks of radio silence, he had been given confirmation that the probe breadcrumbs were set and ready to be turned on. German approached the holodeck and punched in his encryption codes to turn on the bandwidth frequencies inside the probes and transmitted the data between his location to where the Veritas was. He glanced down at his PADD and watched with anticipation as each light illuminated signaling it was working, then German walked into the holodeck. Galven: Lieutenant Vanlith? Can you hear or see me? Vanlith: Commander Galven yes I can hear and see you. How is it on your end? They both had to configure their respective systems to get better holographic imaging software which gained momentum as it began updating. A few seconds went by and while it was still fuzzy in some areas, German could definitely make out the officer in front of him. Galven: Much better. ::smiles:: You're looking more exquisite by the day. Vanlith: ::smiling:: well it is good to see you. It's been far too long. Is it a year? Galven: I believe it has. Since then when we last saw each other during Mei'konda's promotional party, I'm now on Ops. ::chuckles:: Time flies. How have you been? Vanlith: I've been good. There's been some changes around here since then which took some getting used to. Teller and Addison leaving and now G'var is off. All for what is best for them so it's not too sad but it's definitely different. Less sea shanties in engineering now. He definitely could still hear Teller's sea shanties in his head whenever German tried to sleep. Being roommates was certainly an adventure. Galven: I understand how you must feel. My first post was the Veritas, then transferred to the Montreal which led me to the short lived Astraeus when just after a few short months, I was transferred to Ops without knowing a single person. It's certainly hard, but remember what you trained for. Sorry for talking so much. How are you holding up? Vanlith: I'm doing well. Engineering keeps me on my toes and with us just having dealt with pirates I'm happy that shore leave has come now. Gavlen: Pirates? What happened there? Vanlith: It's all rather complicated but some pirates turned up on the Veritas with a Blake from a different universe that they had cotton due to a spore drive. The spore drive had been stolen by a different pirate so we had to get it back. It's all rather weird. Charlena's hologram started to flicker a bit and every now and then while she was talking, there was a noticeable pause in between sentences. While German studied Terran history in primary school, a few of the holo-videos from the mid 20th century until the early 21st century had the same issue on Earth whenever the news was interviewing someone on a different continent. Galven: ::chuckles:: That's the nature of the game. We get involved with some rather… "unique" situations in our line of work. You mentioned an alternate Commander Blake, right? How's she and Captain Rahman doing? Vanlith: I’ll be honest I should probably get to know both of them better. I tend to keep relatively to myself or engineering so I need to branch out to say the least. From what I’ve seen of them they seem good. I know through the grapevine that Blake wasn’t happy with an alternate Blake on board. So I guess she’s still not happy as we still need to get her home. Charlena shuffled slightly and looked down. Recently she had realised how little time she spent with others on the ship and she knew she needed to do something about it. Having been on the ship for over a year she barely knew her own captain's first name let alone anything about her. And she was sure she somehow knew even less about Blake. Vanlith: Urm anyway what's going on for you over there? Even though they were many lightyears apart, German could hear the tone in her voice that Charlena sounded like she was disappointed by what she said. He could relate because there were plenty of people who were missed opportunities for him to get to know. He glanced down at his PADD as his fingers tapped on a few commands which materialized a couple chairs and the holodeck transformed into his apartment's living room on Ops. Although, it caused a few more energy sources which didn't help with the grainy, flickering hologram that was the young engineering officer. Galven: We've actually been on shoreleave for a couple weeks now. ::pauses, then takes a seat:: You're more than welcome to take a seat if you like? Vanlith: ::sitting down facing him:: And how has that been? Galven: ::nods:: Pretty eventful. We just recently received quite a few new ensigns as well as a Lt. Commander who actually served on the Veritas as well once upon a time. Did you ever get to meet an Alora DeVeau? Vanlith: I recognise the name, not sure we ever met. Galven: Well, as you know, I'm always one to help people adjust so I've unofficially become the starbase's tour guide. ::chuckles:: If you're ever this way, I'd love to give you a tour too! Vanlith: ::chuckling:: Tour guide Galven, you’ll be like Teller next. He gets confused as a bellhop, you’ll be a tour guide. Maybe I should open a hotel and hire you both. But in all seriousness a tour does sound nice if we are ever out your way. I would be nice to actually see you again. And no borg tribbles this time. A smirk formed on the right side of his lips. One of his more memorable training classes in the Academy was with Charlena when she took her final exam. Everything was going just as it was programmed to do until a slight curveball came into their way. Galven: ::chuckles:: Hey, I think that was a nice addition to a fairly boring class up until someone couldn't help herself when she picked up that tribble. Vanlith: ::chuckling pretending to be defensive:: Hey it was cute and fluffy. For all I knew it posed no threat. Galven: No, it didn't have to be a Borg tribble. ::smiles:: The look on your face was priceless when you first saw it. Have you come across any more troubling tribbles? Vanlith: No tribbles as of yet. It would be funny but I think I’d get in trouble for trying to keep one. Galven: ::rubs his ridged chin and sticks his index finger upward:: Tell you what! I believe there's a supply freighter about to leave drydock soon heading to the Shoals. The starbase has a pet store that has tribbles. Would you like one? It's a gift from me to you so I'm not taking no for an answer. ::pretends to appear stern by furrowing his eyebrows, but smiling in the process:: Vanlith: Are you serious? Charlena could feel the shock written across her face. She couldn’t believe that he was actually offering her a pet. She was sure BAXTER wouldn’t mind and that was the only possible hesitation to her. A pet tribble would be a brilliant fluffy companion and she could imagine the look on Wil’s face if it turned up in engineering with no warning. She was sure that would be a laugh. Galven: Which part? That there's a supply freighter or the tribble gift? Vanlith: You’re going to get me a tribble? Galven: ::nods:: Of course. I'll send you the shipping information and its expected delivery date. Vanlith: That's amazing. I’d love a tribble. And it sure would be a story to explain why to everyone. Plus as I recall the Borg tribble loved me so I’m sure a normal tribble would too. German was enjoying how excited she was which he got a kick out. Just as he was about to speak, a holographic chronometer illuminated up and behind Charlena's head which started a countdown at a minute and a half. It seemed like their meeting was about to run its course. Galven: Also, I want to let you know that the tribble I'm sending you is "fixed" so there's not going to be a million little furballs once it gets to you. ::smirks:: Vanlith: Just because I now know that doesn’t mean I won’t amuse myself in engineering before I tell the others ::chuckling:: Galven: ::laughs:: Let me know what happened when you tell your colleagues about it. ::clears his throat:: Listen, we don't have much time left because the tetryon levels seem to be affecting our connection. I noticed that the Veritas is just starting shoreleave, correct? Vanlith: Yeah that's right. Why do you ask? Galven: Given how intense the mission was for you and the crew, I would suggest that you try to connect more with everyone. It really does help, at least for me, to decompress by collaborating with others. Would you mind doing that? Not just for my own sake, but for you as well. Vanlith: Still giving me advice and direction even now. For you, sure. I really should get to know the others better. Maybe even have a chat with someone I don’t really talk to outside of being on duty. Galven: ::smiles:: Perhaps that someone could be your Captain. I know that whenever we came back from a mission, she would either take a nightly stroll to the library and Rahman loved it when a certain Ensign would bring her coffee. I mean, where else did Teller come up with the Brew Continuum? ::points to himself, smirks:: Vanlith: Coffee to the Captain. Is it really that easy? Galven: Of course! Roshanara is very approachable. Even more so when there's that fresh aroma hitting her nose. Vanlith: Well, I will remember that. Fresh coffee in the library. Thanks Charlena smiled rather thankful of the advice, she was more nervous of the Captain then she was willing to admit. It wasn’t because she was scared of her but more that she was worried she would say something wrong. Galven: It looks like our time is up so before we're disconnected, let her and everyone else I said hello. ::stands up:: Also, don't be a stranger and maybe we can send PADDmail back and forth between us. Oh, and Charlena? Vanlith: That sounds good. What? Galven: Optimism, Lieutenant! ::dons his signature Denobulan wide grin:: Vanlith: ::smiling herself:: And you Commander, hopefully we can see each other soon. ---- LT. JG Charlena Vanlith ( @Sophie290999 ) Engineering Officer USS Veritas V239604CV0 & Lt. Commander @German Galven 2O/Chief Science Officer StarBase 118 - USS Narendra V239507GG0
  20. I would like for USS Arrow something like this music. A little Idyllic I know, but... It´s my liking. 🥳
  21. The universe of Star Trek has given us some beautiful pieces of music. These iconic works of art embody the vastness of space and the wandering spirit of our favorite heroes as they traipse through the galaxy each week. The warbling tones of The Original Series reminded us of the other-worldly nature of their journey among the stars. The Next Generation brought a brassy and unforgettable tune that energized us for the story ahead. Each piece fit into an amazing tapestry of audible delight. And don't get us started on the movies! When Enterprise aired, however, many fans were split on the inclusion of music with lyrics - Russel Watson's "Where My Heart Will Take Me". For some, it is the perfect reflection of the explorer's creed. It reminds us that the intrepid explorers are on a mission that is led by their beating hearts. It is why they are out there among the stars and why we watch their exploits with such rapt attention. For others, it's something to be banished from memory. For our poll this week, we invite you to imagine that the ship or installation you serve on is the setting for a Star Trek television show. What would be the music playing over the opening credits? Let us know what music reflects the culture and ethos of your ship!
  22. A really lovely character building JP, showing off what can be accomplished with a little teamwork during shore leave! ((Atmospheric Lab, Deck 510, StarBase 118)) DeVeau and Kudon had just ended their meeting with Galven and were about to proceed along a few tracks to determine the best way to neutralize the Death Fog leftover on Vankoth II. One was to separate the silicon from the silicon platinum chloride. The second was to add ascorbic acid to chemically neutralize it. And there was the third possibility of a combination of breaking the Death Fog molecules apart and adding something. One way or the other they needed to get rid of the SiPtCl2. There was also the matter of getting more accurate data from the Klingons on the level of Death Fog in the atmosphere Kudon: So, Commander DeVeau, shall we go to a containment holodeck or do you want to work on the models first before trying them out? DeVeau: Best to take things carefully I think. Let’s work on a few models, then test. The two of them headed to the Science Main Office on Deck 506 to develop the models together. Once there, the two sat down at a computer station and started exploring possibilities. Kudon: I would recommend that we first translate the algorithm into Klingon and send it to them and hopefully get their data soon. The more accurate our data, the better our models will end up being. DeVeau: And the sooner we get that information, the sooner we can find a solution. Agreed. Kudon: After that, I would be most interested in us starting on a model on your idea of adding ascorbic acid to see what effect that may have. While he was genuinely interested in DeVeau’s theory, Kudon also knew it was smart to defer to one’s superior officer. He would get a chance eventually to try out his model. Better to show respect first. DeVeau: We can run more than one model at a time. ::Alora pointed out.:: So let’s be efficient, eh? Making the best use of their time would get to an answer sooner rather than later. Alora focused her attention on the task at hand. Translating was made a little more difficult by the fact that some of the vocabulary used was not common. Some words didn’t have straight Klingon translations. Eventually, however, they accomplished that task. Then they went about setting up the models. If they gave promising results, they would then take them to the holodeck and run some tests. While they waited, Alora leaned back in her chair and studied the man across from her. DeVeau: So please tell me about yourself, Kudon. This took Kudon quite by surprise. He was not used to superior officers, especially ones he just met, to want to get to know him. After a moment of hesitation he replied. Kudon: Well...what exactly do you wish to know. DeVeau: Whatever you’re willing to tell me. He wasn’t sure where to begin, so he just went with the basics. Kudon: I am 22 Terran years old and fresh out of the Academy...plus one mission obviously. I am from Vulcan. That wasn’t surprising to Alora. While not all Vulcans were born on Vulcan depending on what their parents did, most were indeed from their home planet. DeVeau: How did you end up in Starfleet? Kudon: I’ve always known I wanted to be an Engineer. Or at least a science officer. At the Academy, I focused on maximizing the efficiency of fusion and warp core engines when they are operating together. He was presenting what was his usual stump speech about what work he had done. He usually assumed superior officers cared more about his resume than his personal life. With Hael as quite the exception...in many ways. DeVeau: Surely there’s more to your life than that. Vulcan’s weren’t generally known for being forthcoming, but Alora did prefer to get to know her comrades. After all, they worked together, they lived together. They fought together. They were family - maybe not biologically, but family none the less. Kudon: I spent little time off planet growing up on Vulcan. My youth was rather immersed in a number of different Engineering projects. I entered many science competitions and I will be honest that I won most of them. If I may, Commander, if we are aquainting ourselves with each other, may I ask what brought you to Starbase 118 Ops? DeVeau: Why certainly. I was assigned here. Before that...well, I can’t say, classified, but before /that/, I was in the Shoals on the Veritas. Kudon: Interesting. That must have been quite different than here. DeVeau: Yes, very. Being on a base is quite a bit different than being on a ship, but not only that, the area was different, the people different. Atmosphere in general. The way you live is… Just then, an alert went off on the computer and Kudon took a look, Alora following suit. Kudon: The first iteration of each of our three models has completed. The two of them scanned over the data results on the screen. DeVeau: Oh, this looks promising. Alora pointed at the information on the screen, though it was quite unnecessary. Kudon: Yes, it appears that Silicon can break off from the platinum chloride, as long as the temperature is kept within reasonable range. The model with adding ascorbic acid is also successful. What readings do you have on the model with both splitting the Silicon and adding the ascorbic acid? DeVeau: Same - results show in an effective break down of the Fog. Kudon: So all three seem like effective methods to neutralize the gas. The trouble is figuring out, which one is best. And I don’t like the p-value of breaking off the Silicon only being .03. 97% chance of success is good, but a lot can go wrong 3% of the time. While Kudon certainly wanted to go with whichever model produced the best outcomes, part of him was very hopeful that his Silicon model would work. This algorithm that had now been modified multiple times to detect, and now destroy Death Fog, was his ongoing project and if his theory of breaking off the Silicon were correct, it would help him feel somewhat redeemed for the limitations his algorithm had faced during the mission. DeVeau: True. Alora broke off, pondering the information they were presented with. Kudon: We can recalibrate and try another model run, but I think we need that data from the Klingons before we can do so. DeVeau: I concur. The more information we have, the better we can prepare, the better success we’ll have as well. We’ll, unfortunately, have to wait. Kudon: Very well, Commander. While we are waiting, I understand you are from Earth, correct? Alora leaned back in her chair, crossed one leg over the other, then used the foot that remained in contact with the floor to twirl around. When she was facing the Vulcan again, she nodded. Kudon was rather taken aback that his superior officer was twirling on a chair in front of them. Not that he necessarily minded, but it was not what he expected. On the other hand, she did seem to want to get to know him. He could show her the same courtesy. DeVeau: I’m an Earthling, born and bred in Georgia, spent quite a few years in Japan. Some of my family still lives there. Question. Kudon: Do you want to ask me a question? DeVeau: What kind of music do you like? Kudon: That is a..surprising question, but I am happy to answer. In fact, Commander Hael is the only person I have spoken with about music since I arrived. We both appreciate an old Terran group called Metallica. If you haven’t heard of them, they were what was called metal. Very emotional music. In fact, I like most music that expresses deep feelings. At that point, Kudon wondered if it made sense to tell her that he was a Vulcan that had chosen to experience emotions. It helped fit with his like of emotional music. But he hardly knew DeVeau and he did not want to seem like he was confessing or giving up some dirty secret. So he kept quiet about it for now. DeVeau: Do you like to dance? Kudon: Well, metal is not exactly the type of music to dance to. But come to think of it, I have never danced to any type of music before. What do you ask? DeVeau: Just curious. So what type of things do you do when you have downtime? What floats your boat? Kudon: What floats my...what? Alora giggled and twirled around, this time in the opposite direction. Kudon felt strange that she did the twirling again. As someone who chose emotions, coming from a culture that does not, he usually struggled with ambiguous social situations. And here he was not sure what the line was between professional and personal communication and behavior. He found DeVeau to be a very nice person, but nonetheless he felt awkward. DeVeau: It’s an earth saying - it means, what interests you? Kudon: Oh I see...I enjoy cooking a variety of different dishes. Sometimes I’ll replicate certain ingredients, but I like to make things from scratch as much as possible. It feels very creative. I like to cook dishes from a variety of cultures, not just Vulcan. I also read a great deal, about engineering of course, but I took a number of Academy courses on interstellar diplomatic relations, so I enjoy reading about how different planets, empires, and so forth both cooperate and compete with one another. What about you? What...floats your boat? Alora grinned. A Vulcan who expressed emotions /and/ adopted idioms. She knew they existed, but she’d never met one before. Very interesting. DeVeau: Oh, lots of things, really, but I’ll just choose one. Singing. Kudon: How long have you been doing that? DeVeau: Since I was born. Alora grinned and shrugged. DeVeau: My mom’s a musician, I heard it in the womb, evidently, I came out singing myself, so to speak. Kudon: What is your favorite part about it? That was not a simple answer. Alora leaned back further into the chair pondering the question. She forwent twirling about and, instead, just turned it from side to side a little as she considered the question. What was her favourite part? About singing? DeVeau: I guess...being able to express one’s self in a way that’s augmented by the music. Pain is more painful, joy more joyful when music is added. And then...being able to become someone else and something else, even just for a little while. Not because I dislike myself, but because it’s interesting to explore different thoughts, ideas, and situations. Which...kind of goes along with another thing that floats my boat - acting. Kudon: Wow, that does sound very enjoyable. You should get some of the other crewmates together and we could all do it as a group. I almost forgot to ask you, what kind of music do you--- He was cut off by the computer alert, just as DeVeau had earlier. The Klingon data had come in. Kudon: The Klingons certainly sent us the data very quickly. It is not like them to be so immediately cooperative. At once, Alora was all business. As much as she enjoyed learning about people, she also knew there was a time for chit chat, and a time for work. She eyed the data on the screen and nodded. DeVeau: Sounds like they want to get rid of this stuff as soon as possible - which is understandable. Kudon: What I’d like to do is have the computer translate it back from Klingon and then run our three models again. DeVeau: Okay. Alora didn’t argue though she was fully capable of translating it. Perhaps he wanted it written down, which she could understand. As he started the translation, Kudon was starting to fill with excitement. There was just something about the combination of abstract mathematical analysis with real life data. Kudon: Reverse translation complete. Ready to input the data into our three models. Let’s see what kind of light we can shine on this Death Fog. Alora took a few moments to read over the information, though she chose to do so in the original Klingon. DeVeau: Let’s input the data on all the models and see what happens. Best not count our chickens before they’re hatched. Kudon: I agree that would be the best approach...I must say Commander, ::getting more and more animated:: and I think you can appreciate this as a Science Officer, there is just something so exciting about creating an algorithm and seeing it work in the real world. It may seem silly, but I actually am nervous about what the results of our models will be. Accurate, inaccurate? Worse, better? So many think of science and engineering as just brainpower, but there is real creativity and, dare I say, emotion involved. Don’t you agree? So he had let her know about his emotions after all, albeit indirectly. Alora’s verdant eyes twinkled. Little did he know she’d already seen that he allowed emotion - after all, Vulcan’s didn’t use terms such as ‘like’ and enjoyment when referring to themselves. That display, however, showed that he did indeed allow his emotions to the forefront for more than simply descriptive words. When she didn’t answer, too entertained by his excitement, he queried again. Kudon: There must have been a time when you felt like this? DeVeau: Oh definitely. And I agree. More creativity is needed than people suspect, you have to think outside the books, look at things from different angles - like an artist. Kudon could not contain himself to sit down so he started pacing behind the chairs they were sitting in. He was about to respond to DeVeau when the computer did one final alert to indicate the three models had finished running. Kudon: What are the results? Alora didn’t answer right away. She perused the results for a moment, then turned to the pacing Vulcan. DeVeau: It looks like a combination of our ideas would work best. It offers the most stability, and it actually speeds up the process by a whopping fifty percent! Kudon: Fascinating. I think we should let Commander Galven know immediately. DeVeau: Yes, yes we should. I also think we should run it through the holodeck and test it out that way, but I suspect we’ll get the same answer. Alora stood, allowing the chair to finally go still. Kudon: I must say, Commander, I have enjoyed working with you. Still standing, Kudon put out his hand to shake hers, with a small, but quite obvious, smile on his face, thinking how their teamwork had led to potentially very positive results. Alora’s smile lit up her face and she accepted the hand warmly, though surprised as Vulcans were usually uninclined to touch due to their telepathy. At least, that’s what her experience had been. DeVeau: I feel the same, it was a pleasure working with you. I look forward to doing so more in the future. Ensign Kudon Starbase 118 Ops Engineering Officer O239703K10 & Lt. Cmdr. Alora DeVeau Science Officer Starbase 118 Ops M239008AD0
  23. ((CO’s Office – The Hub – StarBase 118)) oO Someone could cover my post? Oo The thought seemed strange. It made sense. If she needed to step away she 100% would as she would hate to work through when she couldn’t focus on the job. She could also easily designate jobs to other officers if needed. What seemed to hang her up was if someone else told her they were going to take over because, in that moment, she couldn’t do her job. That’s what scared her. Bailey: Let's say that happens. What do I tell them? Since the mission Sheila had started shaking her head whenever bad thoughts entered her mind. She figured it would clear her head of the unwanted thoughts. However it only ever seemed to make her dizzy. Deep breaths worked but these strategies only ever seemed to help her consider the thoughts bad. As if they won’t worth having. What she really should be doing was confronting the thoughts. The thoughts she had surrounding her uncle were real even if what they were telling her were untrue. Taybrim: My advice is to find a few key people you trust and let them know some of what you are doing. Let them know you are working on some important things and may need to step away. You don’t have to tell them everything. For some people you may not need to tell them anything other than you are working on overcoming something. Communication is important so they understand your need for space or silence or to walk away at times and reaffirm your control over your Uncle’s voice inside is a part of a healing process. People will accept that with minimal explanation so long as you are open to them early in the process. Tell a few people? Tell people she could trust? She had already told Malko back when he was counselor. Then she told Nijil as she trusted his invitation to talk after they worked together during a mission. Now she was telling Sal. Sal Sheila trusted more than any of the others. But she had told these people because they had the right to know. Back when she let it slip to Galven, she had used it as a way to justify her actions then and her actions during the mission. But maybe Galven did deserve to know more. Maybe she needed to tell Wyn next. She almost had but maybe, in case she did have to step away, he should know why. He didn’t need the whole story but he needed to at least know what she was working through. Most importantly she had to tell herself. Not in the way she would tell her CO’s but in a way where she told herself a new set of truths. What those truths would be she didn’t know quite yet. Bailey: What about you? Once again Sheila felt like out of all the people she had told Sal was the one she trusted the most. Sure she trusted the rest but sometimes you trust someone enough to tell them everything even down to the smallest detail. With Sal she could feel his empathy as well as compassion. It didn’t settle her mind completely which she was glad about. Sheila would have rather worked her way back to a state of normal on her own. Taybrim: ::Sal smiled:: I will absolutely support you in this. ::he affirmed with deep conviction.:: And I am open for you to tell me how you want me to support you. How did she want to be supported? That was something she didn’t even know yet. Sure talking about it helped. Over time though she knew it would get exhausting to keep repeating herself. However she was clear in knowing that she needed a place she could go when things got bad. Talking wasn’t needed but she would have liked to be around people when she was at her lowest. Not a crowd of people. That seemed like too much incase she did have a full on panic attack but she didn’t want to be completely by herself. Bailey: This might sound silly. Taybrim: I don’t think requests of the heart are ever silly. ::he said gently.:: Bailey: I don’t want to be alone when it gets bad. Taybrim: That’s an honest and vital request. I would not want to be alone either. ::He paused for a moment, his mind starting to go through ideas of how that could be accommodated.:: Do you know who or what you would prefer to have with you when you need support? Bailey: I know I can’t or rather shouldn’t bother those I trust every time. I can’t always have a long chat to work it out. I have to be strong and able to work it out for myself. I just don’t want to be alone. Sheila would resort to being alone if her support was busy. She would hate to feel like it was a mistake to confide in someone if they couldn’t or didn’t want to spare the time for her. She almost felt that in her appointment with German. It was as if he had told her she couldn’t be vulnerable. Of course that wasn’t true. In that moment she wasn’t being professional. She had to be professional when telling someone that she needed space or that she was going through a tough time. Taybrim: I know we can find you the support you need, and there are many around you who are happy to help. The most difficult part may be the simple act of asking. Or deciding. I am here to help you, but the final decision is up to you. Bailey: Logically I would go back to my quarters but that place, thinking about it now, feels lonely, like another reminder, what with the way the furnishings are modeled after my childhood. Her room didn’t always bring up bad memories but she was sure if she was having a bad day that it would definitely not be the best place for her to be. Taybrim: Would you prefer a more public place? ::he queried gently:: Bailey: I guess what I’m asking is if there is a place, a different, place, that I can go. A safe place. Taybrim: ::he nodded an assent:: Yes you have some choices available. As an assistant leader of the medical department, one easily open choice is that you will have an office. Bailey: ::nodding:: I’ve used my office plenty of times but I’m mostly by myself when I do. Taybrim: You do have the ability to change quarters. And there are several choices of safe spaces within the commercial center. There is a spa that is owned and operated by an Elasyian woman who suffered abuse in her younger years and opens her space up to any citizen – women in particular, who are feeling vulnerable. The Bajoran temple has two Prylars who are open to any citizens of any faith in need of support. Our counselling offices also have specifically space spaces in a variety of setups, everything from very stimulating to very calming for crewmembers to release tensions and take some time away. The idea that there was another Elaysian on the Starbase surprised her. Seconds later it saddened her to know that she too had had abuse. Sheila would have to go visit her sometime. What unsettled her however was that this other woman too had suffered like she had. Sheila barely knew how to handle her own suffering that she was scared to open up to someone who had been in a very intensely similar situation. She also felt like at this point in time she didn’t quit yet want to tell someone else her trouble when they had been through it too. Maybe she would wait on that and instead decide to just check out the spa. Bailey: That’s a lot of options. Taybrim: There are many open options ::he nodded:: Making your decisions is a little daunting, but don’t be afraid to try something and change your mind if needed. Nodding the woman knew she would find it difficult. She always seemed to know how things would go. The trouble was how to go about it, how to get rid of the feeling so that all she was left with was the knowledge. Taybrim: You might also wish to connect with Doctor Foster. I’m not one much for pets, but I know he breeds and keeps therapy tribbles… and there are certainly other animal options if you are more of a pet person. That got her mind thinking. A therapy animal would be a lot like an emotional support animal. She had read about them in her medical textbook. They comforted their owner but didn’t perform any specific tasks. It was their presence that comforted. However according to the old rules given to emotional support animals they couldn’t go with you many places. What however was used in that respect was a service dog. They went almost everywhere with their owner and helped with medical and psychological aspects by performing specific tasks. They weren’t used much due to the demand of Starfleet life. But her thought was that if she thought one would help her then she could have the dog with her during her everyday work as well as calmer parts of missions. Bailey: Have you heard about service dogs? Taybrim: Response Bailey: Well they assist with their owners medical or mental troubles by performing tasks to help. Taybrim: Response Bailey: it just occurred to me that...well…::she wasn’t sure how to phrase herself:: I have this feeling that it could help. Taybrim: Response Bailey: I know they usually accompany their owners to a lot of places. In Starfleet life that won’t always be possible but I figured I could have them around as much as possible. Bailey only figured that if therapy/emotional support animals were still a thing and possible then having a service dog would be too. Plus she only suggested the idea as she had this feeling deep down that having one, having a big strong dog devoted and who loved to assist her, she would feel much more comfortable. They could remind her of her anxious habits, calm her if she ever did end up full on panicking as well as assist her with her mobility. An added treat would be their comfort after a long hard mission where she might have been away from the Base. Taybrim: Response Bailey: Do you ever get this feeling where you know exactly what to do? That that feeling feels so right you don’t even have to question it. I feel that now. Do you think it would be possible for me to get a service dog? Taybrim: Response TBC/TAG Lieutenant JG Sheila Bailey Medical Officer Starbase 118 Ops M239512BG0
  24. @Alora DeVeau I know I've already said it but your too kind. Your appreciation means a lot ❤️
  25. ((CO’s Office – The Hub – StarBase 118)) One of the hardest things for someone who was trying to recover from an abusive relationship and revise their own view of who they were was to give themselves permission to heal. Permission to take the time they needed. Abuse all too often told the person that they were wrong, evil, selfish for worrying about anything but what the abuser wanted. The truth was there was nothing wrong or evil about taking time for one’s self and selfishness was a natural part of a person. Like salt in food, it was absolutely necessary in the right amount to balance the self-esteem. Too much and certainly it could be overpowering, but its presence was crucial nonetheless. Sal felt the need to not only give Sheila permission to think of herself and her own needs, but the counsel on how to manage those needs. Taybrim: My advice is to find a few key people you trust and let them know some of what you are doing. Let them know you are working on some important things and may need to step away. You don’t have to tell them everything. For some people you may not need to tell them anything other than you are working on overcoming something. Communication is important so they understand your need for space or silence or to walk away at times and reaffirm your control over your Uncle’s voice inside is a part of a healing process. People will accept that with minimal explanation so long as you are open to them early in the process. Bailey: What about you? He gave her a soft smile, one with confidence in her. Doctor Bailey was a valuable member of his crew and he knew she could grow and reach even greater heights and wider potential if she was given the support to heal herself. Taybrim: I will absolutely support you in this. ::he affirmed with deep conviction.:: And I am open for you to tell me how you want me to support you. He also felt it was important that Sheila had agency moving forward. He wanted her to have both comfort and control of the healing process – that would not only be the most efficacious, but it supported her growing sense of self. Bailey: This might sound silly. Taybrim: I don’t think requests of the heart are ever silly. ::he said gently.:: Bailey: I don’t want to be alone when it gets bad. Taybrim: That’s an honest and vital request. I would not want to be alone either. ::He paused for a moment, his mind starting to go through ideas of how that could be accommodated.:: Do you know who or what you would prefer to have with you when you need support? That had to be a very personal choice. For some it was a best friend, family member or confidant. For some it would be a more professional ear to talk to and for some it might be a pet. Sometimes Sal had leaned upon people without ever letting them know that he needed support, he just enjoyed the company to still his thoughts. Bailey: I know I can’t or rather shouldn’t bother those I trust every time. I can’t always have a long chat to work it out. I have to be strong and able to work it out for myself. I just don’t want to be alone. Taybrim: I know we can find you the support you need, and there are many around you who are happy to help. The most difficult part may be the simple act of asking. Or deciding. I am here to help you, but the final decision is up to you. Bailey: Logically I would go back to my quarters but that place, thinking about it now, feels lonely, like another reminder, what with the way the furnishings are modeled after my childhood. He could see the stress there, especially if her quarters would trigger memories. Taybrim: Would you prefer a more public place? ::he queried gently:: Not everyone preferred to hide away when they were stressed. Some wanted away from the eyes of others and some wanted to immerse themselves in a sea of other people. Again that was a deeply personal decision. Sal, himself preferred the people – getting lost in the emotions and thoughts of others would help him forget his own. Bailey: I guess what I’m asking is if there is a place, a different, place, that I can go. A safe place. Taybrim: ::he nodded an assent:: Yes you have some choices available. As an assistant leader of the medical department, one easily open choice is that you will have an office. Bailey: ? He leaned back, considering options, nodding slowly as ideas came to mind. Taybrim: You do have the ability to change quarters. And there are several choices of safe spaces within the commercial center. There is a spa that is owned and operated by an Elasyian woman who suffered abuse in her younger years and opens her space up to any citizen – women in particular, who are feeling vulnerable. The Bajoran temple has two Prylars who are open to any citizens of any faith in need of support. Our counselling offices also have specifically space spaces in a variety of set ups, everything from very stimulating to very calming for crewmembers to release tensions and take some time away. Having places for people to go when they were feeling nervous, upset, stressed, or in need of support was important. Despite having a well run station with very little crime, not everyone who travelled to StarBase 118 had lived a life of sunshine and lollipops. Even with the security of the Federation, the threat of the Borg and the Dominion were within recent memory – as Sal was well aware. All of these spaces were available for people of any species and need, to help them deal with whatever they were dealing with. Bailey: ? Taybrim: There are many open options ::he nodded:: Making your decisions is a little daunting, but don’t be afraid to try something and change your mind if needed. Bailey: ? He leaned back, thinking of other resources for ways one could feel more supported no matter where they were or when. Taybrim: You might also wish to connect with Doctor Foster. I’m not one much for pets, but I know he breeds and keeps therapy tribbles… and there are certainly other animal options if you are more of a pet person. Fortunately being on a Starbase allowed far more flexibility for pets than a starship. Sal never had pets growing up – they were not common in Betazoid households. Beyond Moby, who barely pinged Sal’s telepathic senses at all beyond the creatures contentment – which was nice – he had never owned an animal. Bailey: ? ~*~ tags/tbc ~*~ Sal Taybrim Friend and Counselor StarBase 118 Ops
  26. ((CO’s Office – The Hub – StarBase 118)) The Elaysian woman hardly knew what to say at that. In all honesty she felt a bit choked up. Her body was cold but if she put her sweater back on she felt like she would overheat. With that she left her sweater on the floor. It was a silence that seemed to stretch on forever. Sheila could feel the anticipation of what Sal was going to say. Throughout their conversation it was the first time she hadn’t spoken which got her mind thinking in a million different directions. Each option her brain thought of was worse than the last. oO It’s my fault. Sal’s going to want to talk to my Uncle. I’m going to lose my job. Oo she had to shake her head for what seemed like the millionth time since she started being plagued but her thoughts. Taybrim: This may be the hardest part for you. You are a medical officer, a compassionate soul who is dedicated to caring for others. But you need to re-establish your own sense of self beyond what your Uncle taught you. That means setting up a sense of self-preservation where you reinforce the self you believe in when your Uncle’s voice haunts you. ::He leaned forward a bit to explain.:: The reason this will feel so difficult for you is because you will need to be a little selfish. You may not be able to endure other’s emotional trauma while you are protecting yourself and re-establishing a new sense of self outside of your Uncle’s abuse. Sheila Bailey didn’t completely freak out at Sal’s words. From the tension she felt she thought he was going to tell her that she was going to have to step away from Starfleet for a time. If she left she was going to break down fully no doubt about it. But was that what Sal was meaning? She wasn't sure. Sheila figured that he didn’t but thinking about it she in fact didn’t know. Her brain was torn between what she knew and what she felt. In the end her feelings won out. Her feelings won out to the point that she started tearing up. She guessed her friend noticed as Sal reached out, very slowly and put a hand on the table in a calming, stabilizing gesture. Sheila herself didn’t want to touch his hand afraid it would hurt. Afraid it would bring back and trigger the memories of all the times she had touched her Uncle. Of all the times that he had forcibly touched her. Sheila’s body shook at the thought. At the thought of her uncle's rough arms going around her waist. At that she shook her head again and reached for Sal’s hand; she gave it a quick squeeze before pulling back. Bailey: You're not asking me to quit my job are you? Taybrim: No, I’m not. Not in the slightest. ::He reassured in even tones.:: But I am asking you to put yourself first while you start to retrain yourself. Bailey: I...I don’t understand. Her mind was running a million miles an hour. Taybrim: I apologize ::he said openly, honestly:: I’m being complex. Let’s start over. Bailey: Okay...Okay..::Sheila was taking deep breaths as she spoke. Her breath was shaky however, making her feel slightly more uncomfortable:: Let me backup. My Uncle abused me. That is a fact. Sheila was trying to recap some of what they had talked about in order to try and understand what Sal, her friend, was asking her. Make sure those feelings that had her thinking she was going to have to quit could lose. If she broke it down then they would lose and she would be left knowing what she knew all along. That Sal was only asking her to limit herself and know her boundaries. And throughout their conversation he was guiding her through finding herself in a way that didn’t connect to her abuser. Taybrim: That is a fact. ::He punctuated that acknowledgement with a single nod.:: And recognizing that fact is good, it sets you on your journey forward. Bailey: I know it could affect my work, not that I’m going to let it. I am a compassionate person and work strongly in helping others. You’ve just got my brain fighting against my heart. I know your not asking or even telling me to quit right? Taybrim: That is correct. I want you to stay as a medical officer and grow to become a department head or a specialty medic – whichever you are more interested in. I just want you to know that it will be more difficult for you some days because you are in medicine. That said, something being difficult does not mean it is impossible or should not be attempted. Very much the opposite. It is valuable because it is difficult and I know you will become a stronger person as you work through it. As she listened to the man in front of her talk she went about wiping her eyes, her breathing slowing. She had just been confronted with her biggest fear but she knew the right outcome even through the confusion. Sheila was glad that she had taken a step back and asked for clarification. Bailey: Thank you. I’m just so scared. How do I move forward when I work in medicine? Taybrim: That is a good question. I recommend that the first step for you is to focus on re-defining yourself in your own way – by your actions and your desires rather than your abusers words. ::He paused, dark eyes settling upon her:: And I know that you have likely started to do this and found that it is difficult. Bailey thought about that. Sure she knew who she was. But none of it seemed to be set in facts that couldn’t change. If the fact could be twisted by her uncle’s voice then she couldn’t be certain if it represented herself. However she was strong. She had gone four months in Starfleet without her mind bringing up any mention of her Uncle. She hadn’t been all there in those four months but it was four months she would never forget. Bailey: How. Most of who I am can be twisted. Taybrim: Your new view of self is certainly up to you, but it may help to base the first steps on concrete facts. You successfully graduated Starfleet Academy. You are a doctor and a respected medical officer. You are a decorated officer who has earned her promotions. From there you can expand to things that cannot be easily proven but are equally if not more valid – such as you are a compassionate person and a valuable friend. Sheila took that all in. She had passed Starfleet academy. She had healed and saved countless people. That much went into the cold hard facts column of the situation. The rest she knew to be true but her brain, in this moment, wanted to twist it up, make it into a lie. Bailey: I believe you. I believe you but facts don’t make it go away. Taybrim: I know ::he nodded gently:: I know you will have times when there is a conflict and you will hear your Uncle’s voice beat you down and try to reassert his view of you rather than your own view of yourself. And this is why I know it will be difficult. You will need to make a plan for ways you deal with that voice. Things you can do to reassert your own view of self and push back your uncle’s voice. You may need to stop doing something, step away and take time for yourself to rebuild those barriers against his teachings. This will feel selfish at first. But you’re taking time for yourself now so you can be more present and able to shine later. It’s a small price to pay. oO You will need to make a plan for ways you deal with that voice. Oo This was shore leave, a time meant for working out one's problems. That or rest, hang out with friends. It wasn’t always like that. During missions was when she had the hardest time. There usually wasn’t any room for escape. Last mission she had felt so much panic. She had thought she was going to break. Break into a million little pieces the second the situation was over. As it turned out she just went right on with her work. Bailey: But it won’t always be like that. During the mission I had no escape. I couldn’t take a moment to myself. What then? Taybrim: I understand there will be mission situations where you do not have the option of stepping away, such as on Vankoth. That is always a possibility of Starfleet Duty. That said, while those moments are very, very acute – they are not the majority of our time in Starfleet. You will be able to step away and battle your uncle’s voice in the way you need to at most times. Regular duties can also be supported or covered by another person in the department. oO Someone could over my post? Oo The thought seemed strange. It made sense. If she needed to step away she 100% would as she would hate to work through when she could focus on the job. She could also easily designate jobs to other officers if needed. What seemed to hang her up was if someone else told her they were going to take over because, in that moment, she couldn’t do her job. That’s what scared her. Bailey: Let's say that happens. What do I tell them? Taybrim: My advice is to find a few key people you trust and let them know some of what you are doing. Let them know you are working on some important things and may need to step away. You don’t have to tell them everything. For some people you may not need to tell them anything other than you are working on overcoming something. Communication is important so they understand your need for space or silence or to walk away at times and reaffirm your control over your Uncle’s voice inside is a part of a healing process. People will accept that with minimal explanation so long as you are open to them early in the process. Tell a few people. Tell people she could trust. She had already told Malko back when he was counselor. Then she told Nijil as she trusted his invitation to take after they worked together during a mission. Now she was telling Sal. Sal, she trusted more than any of the others. But she had told these people because they had the right to know. Back when she let it slip to Galven, she had used it as a way to justify her actions then and her actions during the mission. But maybe Galven did deserve to know more. Maybe she needed to tell Wyn next. She almost had but maybe, in case she did have to step away, he should know why. He didn’t need the whole story but he needed to at least know what she was working through. Bailey: What about you? Taybrim: I will absolutely support you in this. ::he affirmed with deep conviction.:: And I am open for you to tell me how you want me to support you. How did she want to be supported? That was something she didn’t even know yet. Sure talking about it helped. Over time though she knew it would get exhausting to keep repeating herself. However she was clear in knowing that she needed a place she could go when things got bad. Talking wasn’t needed but she would have liked to be around people when she was at her lowest. Bailey: This might sound silly. Taybrim: Response Bailey: I don’t want to be alone when it gets bad. Taybrim: Response Bailey: I know I can’t or rather shouldn’t bother those I trust every time. I can’t always have a long chat to work it out. I have to be strong and able to work it out for myself. I just don’t want to be alone. Taybrim: Response Bailey: Logically I would go back to my quarters but that place, thinking about it now, feels lonely, like another reminder, what with the way the furnishings are modeled after my childhood. Taybrim: Response Bailey: I guess what I’m asking is if there is a place, a different, place, that I can go. A safe place. Taybrim: Response TBC/TAG Lieutenant JG Sheila Bailey Medical Officer Starbase 118 Ops M239512BG0
  27. Sal could feel the weight of past experiences pressing down on the conversation between himself and Doctor Bailey. It was as if Marc Clarence was silently sitting in the room, present for the conversation even if he was a million light years away. His words, his action still lived on in a very palpable way. The most frustrating thing about that for Sal is that presence was exactly what an abuser wanted. That gave them power far beyond physical reach – and it was one of the most enduring and terrifying things about abuse. He was not frustrated with Sheila, not in the least. Those who suffered and endured abuse were strong to survive and no blame was theirs. Sal was angry at Marc Clarence, emotions he kept carefully walled away. He knew he could project emotions as well as he could sense them and what he needed to project was calmness and support. He would save the anger for action, for a driving force in helping her in whatever ways she needed. Taybrim: This may be the hardest part for you. You are a medical officer, a compassionate soul who is dedicated to caring for others. But you need to re-establish your own sense of self beyond what your Uncle taught you. That means setting up a sense of self-preservation where you reinforce the self you believe in when your Uncle’s voice haunts you. ::He leaned forward a bit to explain.:: The reason this will feel so difficult for you is because you will need to be a little selfish. You may not be able to endure other’s emotional trauma while you are protecting yourself and re-establishing a new sense of self outside of your Uncle’s abuse. He could feel the tension started to reach a boiling point and fear and panic stoked the flames. Her entire expression tightened as tears threatened to fall. Sal reached out, very slowly and put a hand on the table in a calming, stabilizing gesture. Bailey: You're not asking me to quit my job are you? Taybrim: No, I’m not. Not in the slightest. ::He reassured in even tones.:: But I am asking you to put yourself first while you start to retrain yourself. That was a complex concept, Sal would be the first to admit that. So he started to break down his thought process into smaller steps, to explain each one better. Bailey: I...I don’t understand. Taybrim: I apologize ::he said openly, honestly:: I’m being complex. Let’s start over. He wanted to get a clear line of communication going on what the process towards healing looked like. What the struggle would be moving forward, and how to prepare for that so she had the greatest chance of success. Bailey: Okay..Okay..::Sheila was taking deep breaths as she spoke. Her breath was shaky however, making her feel slightly more uncomfortable:: Let me backup. My Uncle abused me. That is a fact. Taybrim: That is a fact. ::He punctuated that acknowledgement with a single nod.:: And recognizing that fact is good, it sets you on your journey forward. He could see her processing that, working through what the pitfalls were. What she had already experienced on Vankoth and what she feared might happen moving forward. Bailey: I know it could affect my work, not that I’m going to let it. I am a compassionate person and work strongly in helping others. You’ve just got my brain fighting against my heart. I know your not asking or even telling me to quit right? Taybrim: That is correct. I want you to stay as a medical officer and grow to become a department head or a specialty medic – whichever you are more interested in. I just want you to know that it will be more difficult for you some days because you are in medicine. That said, something being difficult does not mean it is impossible or should not be attempted. Very much the opposite. It is valuable because it is difficult and I know you will become a stronger person as you work through it. That much he was sure of. She had already showed so much strength and she had honest, compassionate and supportive friends on StarBase 118. She would succeed, and she would support getting there. Bailey: Thank you. I’m just so scared. How do I move forward when I work in medicine? Taybrim: That is a good question. I recommend that the first step for you is to focus on re-defining yourself in your own way – by your actions and your desires rather than your abusers words. ::He paused, dark eyes settling upon her:: And I know that you have likely started to do this and found that it is difficult. One could know that they succeeded in one thing but still have the voice in the back of their head saying they would fail. That was the horrific power of abuse – and if that voice got loud enough it started to win, and the person could self-sabotage. That was exactly why they were talking. Sheila Bailey was too smart, too strong, too bright to let herself fall into that trap. No matter how hard the journey was, it was worthwhile. He was already impressed by her ability to recognize what she had gone through and seek to heal what was done. Bailey: ? Taybrim: Your new view of self is certainly up to you, but it may help to base the first steps on concrete facts. You successfully graduated Starfleet Academy. You are a doctor and a respected medical officer. You are a decorated officer who has earned her promotions. From there you can expand to things that cannot be easily proven but are equally if not more valid – such as you are a compassionate person and a valuable friend. Each step in re-writing a concept of self was a small one. Some people could certainly hinge their new viewpoint on the less empirical parts of their personality such as kindness, love, or bravery. And in the end those were some of the most important pieces of self. But when the mind was struggling against insidious lies, sometimes cold hard facts were the best things to lean upon. It was hard for the voices inside your head to tell you that you failed as a cadet when you were wearing a Starfleet uniform. Bailey: ? Taybrim: I know ::he nodded gently:: I know you will have times when there is a conflict and you will hear your Uncle’s voice beat you down and try to reassert his view of you rather than your own view of yourself. And this is why I know it will be difficult. You will need to make a plan for ways you deal with that voice. Things you can do to reassert your own view of self and push back your uncle’s voice. You may need to stop doing something, step away and take time for yourself to rebuild those barriers against his teachings. This will feel selfish at first. But you’re taking time for yourself now so you can be more present and able to shine later. It’s a small price to pay. Sal could empathize. He was a compassionate person who would set aside himself to help others if called upon to do so. He could do that easily now because he felt at peace with himself. Peace with his family, peace with his past. But there were time in his life when he was in turmoil and he had to step away and build up walls against the ghosts of his own past. It felt so selfish to do, even cold. But it was worthwhile. Bailey: ? Taybrim: I understand there will be mission situations where you do not have the option of stepping away, such as on Vankoth. That is always a possibility of Starfleet Duty. That said, while those moments are very, very acute – they are not the majority of out time in Starfleet. You will be able to step away and battle your uncle’s voice in the way you need to at most times. Regular duties can also be supported or covered by another person in the department. Bailey: ? Taybrim: My advice is to find a few key people you trust and let them know some of what you are doing. Let them know you are working on some important things and may need to step away. You don’t have to tell them everything. For some people you may not need to tell them anything other than you are working on overcoming something. Communication is important so they understand your need for space or silence or to walk away at times and reaffirm your control over your Uncle’s voice inside is a part of a healing process. People will accept that with minimal explanation so long as you are open to them early in the process. Bailey: ? Taybrim: I will absolutely support you in this. ::he affirmed with deep conviction.:: And I am open for you to tell me how you want me to support you. Bailey: ? ~*~ tags/tbc ~*~ Sal Taybrim Captain, Counselor, Friend StarBase 118 ops
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.