June 15 is the 25th anniversary of our community's founding in 1994.
Join our celebratory thread to tell us what you love about our community, what you've learned as a member, or what keeps you here! 🎉🎊

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Each week, our Poll of the Week editors – Randal Shayne and Anath G’Renn – come up with creative new questions to ask the fleet about their favorite (or least favorite) aspects of Star Trek. Now we’re asking for your help in adding more questions to our weekly polls. If you have a great idea for an upcoming poll, drop it in the form below to let us know! Your informationYour preferred email address Your primary character nameYour fleet writer IDYou can find your writer ID on the wiki.Poll suggestionWhat should we ask?*Suggested answers* body .ginput_container_list table.gfield_list tbody tr td.gfield_list_icons { vertical-align: middle !important; } body .ginput_container_list table.gfield_list tbody tr td.gfield_list_icons img { background-color: transparent !important; background-position: 0 0; background-size: 16px 16px !important; background-repeat: no-repeat; border: none !important; width: 16px !important; height: 16px !important; opacity: 0.5; transition: opacity .5s ease-out; -moz-transition: opacity .5s ease-out; -webkit-transition: opacity .5s ease-out; -o-transition: opacity .5s ease-out; } body .ginput_container_list table.gfield_list tbody tr td.gfield_list_icons a:hover img { opacity: 1.0; } Any other thoughts, comments, or questionsCommentsThis field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. Save and Continue Later The post Do you have a Poll of the Week in mind? Suggest it here! appeared first on UFOP: StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG. View the full article
  3. Please welcome our newest Academy graduates to the UFOP: StarBase 118 fleet: Ravenna Carter, Kel Tarren, and returning member Solaris McLaren! The post New Academy Graduates appeared first on UFOP: StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG. View the full article
  4. Yesterday
  5. ((Best dates always end up in jail, right? :P)) ((Hinji Sector - Starbase 104)) Yito: You hear that? Spears: Yeah. Some kind of a disturbance back in the main area. ::They weren’t the only ones to notice. The people around them started to shift uneasily. Some moved toward the source of the shouting, the majority tried to move closer to the walls and into the studio.:: :: Seja listened quietly, hoping to pick something up a stray comment, so kind of clue but everyone was just speculating like them. :: Spears: I mean, I feel like we should go check it out… Yito: We are not on duty. Spears: Well no, we’re not but… This is a pretty remote part of the station. I doubt anyone else will be around to investigate. Yito: Ok. :: Sighing :: I guess someone could be in trouble. Spears: ::Grinning:: Lead on, oh chief of security. :: Seja lead the way back through the crowds of people following the shortest route to the loudest of the noise. :: ::The shouting from the main area wasn’t just a mild disagreement; it was a full-blown protest. Hinji, Linarans, and even a Ferengi were shouting, flashing holographic protest banners, and generally making a mess of the place. All seemed to be showing their general disdain for the Federation.:: Spears: Well these folks seem pleasant. Yito: Very pleasant. I think we need to call for back-up, there are rules against these kinds of protests. :: A voice spoke up over the speakers. :: Speakers: This is a peaceful art exhibition and we welcome all people from all worlds as a neutral group. Please leave this area. :: There was an angry uproar from the crowd. Seja pointed to the Hinji women on the mic. :: ::Ed looked to where Seja was pointing, seeing the Hinji woman.:: Yito: If I can see her so can they. Speakers: We will call security if you don’t.... :: The power was cut off to the mic. :: Spears: Oh that’s not good. This isn’t going anywhere good… ::Ed started to move in the direction of the artist-with-a-mic out of instinct more than anything else.:: Yito: You know we aren’t meant to get involved. :: Seja knew it was the right thing to do to help this person get out of here. She could be in danger, Seja didn’t know whether or not the protest would turn violent. :: Spears: ::Shrugging helplessly:: I don’t like where this is going. I know anti-federation sentiment flares up here from time to time but... Yito: Fine I’ll be right behind you. Yito: =/\= Security emergency, security needed in Hinji section :: She wish she knew exactly where they were. :: ar... =/\= :: Her commbadge was thrown out of her hand. :: Linaran: Starfleet… all alone now. :: Seja stood ready to defend herself but he didn’t attack, he just walked away. She moved over to Ed. :: Yito: We need to get out of here now. Spears: OK, yeah… That’s not good. ::Ed looked around for Seja’s comm badge, but it had been lost under trampling feet. Ed reached his hand into his pocket and squeezed his own comm badge, activating its silent distress signal. Was that a bit of overkill given no one had technically done anything violent (yet)? Maybe…:: Linaran: Hey! Someone just sent a signal from somewhere in here! ::Ed cringed as one of the magnificent metal sculptures was pulled down in front of the main access hatch, completely blocking them all inside.:: Linaran: There’s more Starfleet here! Find them! We’ll make an example of them… Spears: We need to find another way out… :: Seja looked around trying to access where the greatest danger would come from. :: Yito: The front entrance is blocked. Spears: Maybe through the back. Let’s try it. ::Ed ducked through the people as they started to panic. The protest group was small but seemed to have a plan. The crowd was large and running on instinct. The two groups were about to boil over into a crisis and Ed didn’t want to be caught in the middle.:: Yito: There has to be another way out. Where the artists come in and out? Spears: I’m thinking, I’m thinking. ::It all seemed to be one huge dead end. No matter which little alcove they went into it was just another place to store tools or materials instead of a convenient door or access point. Suddenly Ed heard a familiar whine of transporter beams in the space.:: Security Team Lead: Starfleet security! Everyone stand down! Linaran: Down with the Federation! ::There was a crash of shattering glass and a whoosh that Ed felt as much as heard. A pyre of flame leapt up high enough from the main room that they could see it over the partitions. Screams erupted from the main area.:: Spears: What did they do!? Security Team Lead: Medical! We need medical down here! ::Ed started to push his way toward the commotion. Someone clearly needed help! He elbowed his way past a security officer and several grappling people. Whether they were trying to get away from the flames or at the security officer, Ed never found out. Something heavy hit him in the side of the head and he crashed to the deck only to be trampled by several terrified people. Ed’s vision swam out of focus and sound faded away until his consciousness left him.:: :: Seja rushed after him, not certain this was a good idea but not willing to leave him alone. Seja was soon separated from Ed by the terrified crowd running the other way. She pushed her way through the crowd and finally found him a couple of minutes later lying unconscious on the floor his head bleeding. He didn’t see what had happened but he didn’t seem safe there as a fight brewed around him between security and some of the angry locals. :: ((Brig, Starbase 104 - an hour later)) ::Ed woke up feeling like he’d been his by a shuttlecraft. His eyes squinted at the harsh light coming down at him from above and he felt that he was lying down on something less comfortable than a standard biobed. Ed tried to sit up but groaned instead. Funny how he wanted his body to do one thing but it did another…:: Yito: Hi :: Looking down at Ed, glad to see him awake. :: Spears: Hey… You OK? Yito: Me, I’m fine, a few bruises and a broken nose, oh and we happen to be in the brig. Spears: Huh… Really? The brig? Never been in one of those before… ::He finally took in his surroundings. Yup. Brig.:: TBC JP by Lieutenant Yito Seja Chief of Security USS Constitution-B ID number: E239306LB0 & Lt Edward Spears, MD Chief Medical Officer USS Constitution-B C239502ES0
  6. ((Absolutely entertaining sim. Totally adorable couple.)) ((Promenade - Starbase 104)) ::The party was over, the last patients had been transferred to the station, Cadet Malyz had volunteered to oversee the resupply of sickbay after all the materials they had used during the mission. That meant Ed was blissfully free to do the one thing he’d been looking forward to since the mission ended; finally getting some free time with Seja. Ed was sure they both knew what they were getting themselves into. Both were department heads. Both put their roles on the ship before any personal considerations. Ed knew Seja would throw herself in front of a discharging phaser to save any member of the crew, just as Ed would throw himself headlong into the middle of any danger in order to help patch someone up. And despite the adrenaline that accompanied both of their positions, they’d been taking the relationship slowly. Ed was a little worried that things might have ramped up quickly, fuelled by that adrenaline, but ultimately being something fleeting. That had never been Ed’s style, though things don’t always go according to plan. But here he was, dressed up in his chinos and a button-down shirt, ready to meet the woman he had found himself irresistibly drawn to. And she never kept him waiting. Ed smiled as he watched her walk around the corner.:: :: Seja had again struggled to find the perfect outfit and was beaten by Ed to her vandaveer point. She didn’t want to wear the same outfit she wore last time and realised her civilian wardrobe was lacking in suitable date wear mostly filled with sports gear and casual cargo trousers and tops. But she wanted to make an impression on Ed and would need to go shopping if this continued. She wore matching dark brown trousers and top with a dark red leather style jacket and she wore the same necklace as previously. It was of viking design and had been given to her paternal grandmother had given her. :: Spears: Hey Seja. :: Seja smiled he looked handsome in his civilian wear. She had been looking forward to seeing him again ever since their first date on the shuttle but the conference and then work had got in the way. But with all the scientists of the ship having been assigned quarters on temporary station or tickets on transports and all the reports written. She now had the free time. :: Yito: Hey Ed. I see you beat me here again. :: Faking frustrated tone. :: Spears: ::Grinning:: Well we can keep trying to one-up each other about who arrives first, but then we might just end up everywhere together all the time. Yito: Next time. :: A determination in her voice. :: Spears: I can be competitive, you know. ::Ed thought about the buggy training. Yeah. Everyone had seen his competitive side there.:: Yito: As can I. :: Remembering the buggy race and advising the young ensign to cause a sandslide onto the Ed’s fallen buggy. She wondered if Ed had known she was the first to fire. :: ::As he recalled, Seja had been pretty driven to win as well.:: Spears: Oh I’ve seen it. ::Chuckling:: Yito: So, what is the plan? Spears: Well, I was thinking about this cool jazz place. But then I heard about an art exhibit. It’s a pop-up art show by some locals to the sector, and will only be here a week before they tear it all down. :: At the mention of Jazz Seja felt excited she loved music. Her heart dropped a little when he suggested something else but she kept a straight face not wanting to disappoint. :: Yito: Tear it all down? :: Seja was confused, she assumed he meant move it somewhere else. :: Spears: All in the name of art I suppose. And yeah, when they say tear it all down that includes the art. I heard the last show they ran ended up with them all in the brig for arson. They um, accidentally burned down the whole studio. :: It seem a little extreme to her. :: Yito: How they manage that? Spears: Well there are a couple of Hinji sculptors who like to make metal sculptures with plasma torches. I guess they got carried away. Yito: Sounds dangerous. :: This art exhibition was starting to sound more interesting than originally thought. :: Spears: Art, Seja! Probably best to just go with the flow. I also hear they work on the exhibit while people walk through so we’ll see some of the creative processes. And maybe some of those plasma torch sculptures! Yito: Ok, it sounds fun. So where this is Art Exhibition? Spears: Oh it’s in some underused engineering space in the Hinji Bazaar. It will probably take a little searching but I’m told it should be easy enough to find if we follow the signs. Yito: Lead the way ((Hinji Sector - Starbase 104)) :: They took the lift down the Hinji Bazaar. As they walked out Seja could feel the buzz. The shouting of sellers and smells of foreign food cooking. It had been a while since she’d travelled through the Hinji bazaar and she wished she had taken the chance to return sooner. She followed Ed as he led the way weaving their way through crowds and stall. A couple of Hinji pushed wears in front of her colourful pieces of cloth and beads. :: Yito: Thank you. Another time. :: Seja responded back to sellers. :: :: Seja grabbed hold of Ed,s hand so she won’t lose him and pulled him closer so she could talk to him within the crowds. :: ::Ed blushed slightly as he felt Seja’s hand find his. He settled into an easy walking pace. They pasused occasionally as a group of children would run by, or a vendor pushing a cart would roll by. Soon they were at the periphery of the bazaar and the crowds had thinned.:: Yito: How much further? Spears: Not far. Should be just through an access point over there and then down to the sub-deck. :: They moved out of the crowds and around the back where the metal walls were revealed. Several storage locker with door like those to the cargo and goods that had expanded out piled up next to them. There was also a carpeted corridor leading back to the Starbase that she assumed contained quarters. They were at the bridge between the two worlds. :: Yito: How did you hear about this exhibition? Spears: From a patient, actually. I guess he keeps up with the counterculture in the region and this was on his radar. He promised it would be worth checking out. Yito: Interesting, being a doctor you must meet people from all different walks of life. But I never saw you as into counterculture? Spears: Well I do have some credentials in anthropology. And I’ve always had a soft spot for the people who challenge the status quo. Yito: I’ll bear that mind. :: When Seja had first meet Ed she’d seen him as green and straight laced but now she was starting to see more and more of a rebellious side with the buggies and now this art exhibition. She found it interesting, fun, sexy. :: Yito: I’m looking forward to seeing what is there. I’ve never been to counterculture art project as you put it. :: Relk had been to art collections but mostly comic and streampunk. Seja had nosed at a few of the brochures but had never been along. :: Spears: Well, I have no idea what we’re going to find down here either. Yito: So a surprise for both of us :: A wide smile. :: ::They walked through another access hatch and found themselves in a brightly lit space filled with people of every description from across the sector. All of them were speaking in hushed tones as they moved around the improvised studio space and watched the artists at work. Everything was on display from sculpture to graffiti, to dance, to body art. It was a stunning amalgamation of individual expression.:: Spears: Wow. I never thought the exhibit would include someone getting tattooed in front of an audience. ::He stared at a muscular man wearing nothing but a pair of trousers, but without more than the occasional bit of skin showing. His body was a canvas of intricate designs and a similarly tattooed woman was working on filling in some of his remaining spaces.:: Yito: It sure is different. :: Seja still wasn’t certain of what to make of the space. She looked at a large piece of graffiti in a language she didn’t recognize. It was set in space with alien planets and ships around the text, it was stunningly done. :: Spears: This is incredible. Yito: They are talented. Spears: I used to think I know what that meant. But there are so many people out there who all find such unique methods of expression. I can’t help but feel awestruck by it all. :: Seja could see a flickering light coming from the other room. The colours reminded her of one of the ship board emergency simulations they did at the academy. Seja moved herself close to Ed, so he could hear her clearly. :: Yito: I think the Hinji plasma sculptures are this way. :: Seja then moved away pulling him by his hand excitedly to the room with the flicking light. :: ::Ed allowed himself to be pulled into the next room, glad that Seja was enjoying herself as much as he was.:: Spears: Can’t wait to see what they’ve- ::He stopped himself short:: Wow. :: They entered into a crowded room and had to wait their turn to be pushed to the front. It was atmospheric as they waited, the different colours and speeds of flashing light like music and the hum of the touches. Seja anticipation grew and she wasn’t disappointed. There were 3 Hinji at the front working on different structures of animals, all at different stages and there were several finished animal sculptures around. As Seja had visited the Hinji homeworld when she first arrived on Conny, she knew the importance of the connection first hand. :: ::The work was unlike any form of sculpture Ed had seen before, and yet it was instantly familiar in a way as well. He figured that was the hallmark of truly incredible art in this modern era. Something both foreign and recognizable. And the method! The Hinji applied the plasma torches with such smooth, somehow melodic grace. Ed had no idea how melody could be translated into physical rather than auditory form and yet… The metal shimmered and glowed under the intense heat and he could watch it morph before his very eyes, but subtly.:: Yito: This is amazing Spears: I’ve never seen anything like it… :: Seja stood in awe for several minutes, just watching and taking all the intricacies of the structures. Seeing more and more of the tiny details the closer she looked. Her thoughts were interrupted by shouting back in the large main room. :: ::Ed had thought about injecting a joke; something to break them both out of the reverie that seemed to be attached to watching these master craftspeople at work. But to ruin the moment seemed like a terrible shame. Unfortunately, the shouts from the next room seemed to break the moment for them.:: Yito: You hear that? Spears: Yeah. Some kind of a disturbance back in the main area. TBC JP by Lieutenant Yito Seja Chief of Security USS Constitution-B ID number: E239306LB0 & Lt Edward Spears, MD Chief Medical Officer USS Constitution-B C239502ES0
  7. Last week
  8. Welcome everyone! I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. It's really fun and everyone is so nice and welcoming - so you made the right choice in joining
  9. "The current time is 2118 hours." intoned the robotic voice, echoing through the shuttle. "This shuttle will arrive at Starbase 118 at precisely 2120 hours, Stardate 239607.15." Hathur gazed out the window. They were just entering orbit of the station, to prepare for docking: he could see the flashing red lights on the landing bay, inviting them down to finally land, inviting him to begin the adventure ahead. He still couldn't believe that he had made it into Starfleet Academy, let alone graduated. Too many times, he questioned what he was even doing, whether his parents were right about the horrible things they had said about the Federation during his training. Even many of his teachers questioned his motivations. But, this was right. This had to be right. Looking back at the window, he took in the Starbase itself. It was an almost otherworldly structure, seeming to rise out of the infinite, inky void that was space, like some kind of heavenly creation. "It's so beautiful." he muttered to himself, forgetting that he was even in a shuttlecraft. "Hm." he heard somebody say, next to him. Right, he wasn't in space yet. "Oh, I'm sorry." he said, looking over to the person -- a Vulcan, Strol, he believed his name was, one of his classmates in Advanced Applications of Logic -- next to him. "An apology was unnecessary. I was simply curious as to what, precisely, you find to be 'beautiful' in a standard Federation starbase." Strol spoke, one eyebrow perpetually raised. "Well.. I suppose it's not so much the structure, but what it holds. From here begins the journey, for all of us in this shuttlecraft. I mean, who knows what's next for all of us?" The Vulcan nodded. "Ah, I believe I understand. It is not the structure itself, but the emotional value and promise of it that you find beautiful. Highly peculiar, but, understandable for an emotional people such as yours." But Hathur wasn't paying attention. Docking procedures were beginning, as the ship gently lowered itself into the port. One of the departing words with Professor Ledirs, his xeno-history teacher who was also assigned to Starbase 118 when he graduated, was to not look out the window of the shuttle during docking as it was known to perform some rather.. nauseating moves to align itself properly. Apparently, he had learned the hard way. But, despite the sage advice, Hathur found himself unable to look away. Besides, growing up terraforming, he was used to sharp changes in perspective. It was all over far too soon. "Docking procedures have been successfully completed. Please wait for the shuttle to come to a complete stop." announced the computer, that same familiar, warm voice (based off of the legendary Starfleet doctor Admiral Chapel, as recognition of her achievements in biotechnology) that had accompanied him since the beginning. A far cry from the harsh, guttural voice of a Cardassian computer. "The shuttle has come to a complete stop. Please proceed to Deck 14 for assignment of quarters. Welcome to Starbase 118." With this, the door at the side of the shuttle wooshed open. Standing up, he heard Strol begin to speak. "Well, Mr. Ev, may our.." There went that eyebrow, again. "journey.. be a fruitful one." Not allowing time for a response, he quickly disembarked, Hathur closely following him. He was eager to get on the ground as soon as possible in this new area, and he felt that following behind the rather socially uncaring Vulcan was the perfect opportunity to do so quickly. Stepping out into the cavernous docking bay, he took in a busy scene. Officers of all kinds ran around, Operations people examining ships and punching PADDS, engineering staff looking into engines and carrying tools, and a host of other nervous cadets seemingly shuffling around. Hathur approached these, believing they could hold some kind of answer about where to go. "Hey, do you guys know where the turbolift is? I need to find where they're assigning quarters." "That's what we're all trying to figure out!" roared one of the cadets, a Klingon, at the front of the group. "Please calm yourself, Cadet Jowlw'. We do not want to draw undue attention to ourselves." spoke Strol, walking up next to the group. "I do not CARE about attention, I must find my quarters!" Hathur stepped back, suspecting that this would go nowhere fast with how busy it was on the deck. Taking a look around the room, he saw a group of a few other cadets, entering what seemed to be a chamber of some sort. Ah, yes, a turbolift chamber! "Hey guys, it's over here!" he yelled, but it appeared that Strol and the Klingon were having a slight dispute. They didn't even take notice. And so he went ahead and headed to the room, and, just as suspected, it was a turbolift, now empty. "Deck.." Suddenly, horror now creeping into his mind, he forgot what deck the computer had told him to go to. Four.. deck four, that was it! "Deck four." he spoke confidently. The computer, beeping obediently, ferried him up to Deck 4. The turbolift opened to a grand promenade, stores dotting every corner of the area. Hathur took a moment, stepping out, to just observe everything. There was a flurry of activity occurring, and with it, a general hum of conversation, some in Federation Standard, some in Klingon, some in Vulcan, some in languages he could not even parse. There were stores all around, one run by fascinating aliens selling memorabilia from the Alpha Quadrant, one a Starfleet-sponsored store carrying tiny ship replicas, one a Ferengi bazaar -- you name it, it was there. Even at Starfleet Academy, there was not such incredible diversity. And, after he fended off a Klingon chef trying to convince him to come to his restaurant to hear his "beautiful" opera, he realized that it was all open to him to explore. Although this was clearly not where quarters were assigned, Hathur yet again found himself unable to care. This was it, this was the essence of the Federation. Infinite diversity in infinite combinations, as one of his old Vulcan teachers once said. And he was part of it now.
  10. Hi everyone! My real name is Zack, and I live in St. Louis, Missouri, where the weather is currently completely unbearable. I actually read about this community on Reddit (/r/startrek represent!), and as somebody that's always loved creative writing AND has always wanted rather desperately (and, until now, fruitlessly) to be part of Starfleet, I knew I couldn't pass up the opportunity to join! I'm currently in school, so who knows what may come after that! Until then, I can just tell people I'm in boot camp. Hey, it's technically the truth. Can't wait to get involved with this awesome community!
  11. Join us in the chat room for our monthly OOC chat today (Sunday, July 14) at 10am Pacific / 1pm Eastern / 6pm London / 3am+1 Sydney (AUS). (See your timezone here.) Click here to join the chat on Discord. It’s fun and easy, and only takes a minute to get set up if you’ve never signed up on before. Our monthly chats are a place to meet other members of the fleet, catch up on current fleet events, share stories, and talk about Star Trek. Especially if you’ve never attended a chat before, we hope you’ll participate this month! The post It’s time to chat! Join us today for our monthly fleetwide party. appeared first on UFOP: StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG. View the full article
  12. ((Captain's Ready Room, USS Constitution-B)) Hiro stood at the door to the captain's ready room. He was dressed in his best service uniform (Technically every one of his uniforms was his best). His pips shone brightly against the crimson collar, and the fabric was visibly starched and pressed. His boots shone brightly enough that a crewman had stopped and stared during his breakfast in one of the lower deck lounges. Hiro pressed the chime expectantly. There was no answer. Frowning, he pressed it again. Still nothing. Hiro [...]ed his head. This was incredibly unusual. The admiral had always been in his office before most beings were even awake. The gruff logistician had always preferred to eat while going over the morning reports. Hiro would often arrive just in time to dispatch the first of them to various facilities and vessels. Takahashi: Computer, what is the whereabouts of Fleet Captain Rajel? Computer: Captain Rajel is not onboard. Perhaps the captain had been summoned to the station for an early morning meeting. This was exactly the kind of mix-up that could be avoided if they had talked about her calendar and organization already, but the captain seemed to be avoiding the man who's sole job was to be her shadow. Takahashi: Please verify the time that Fleet Captain Rajel left the vessel, and log an inquiry with the starbase computer as to her whereabouts. Computer: You are not authorized to know those exact details. Another thing that could have been avoided if only they'd talked before now. Clearly Hiro needed to be able to access the captain's whereabouts at all times, on duty or not... Takahashi: Computer, please update your protocols to reflect Fleet Captain Rajel's current rank. The computer chirped in compliance. That was something at least... Hiro spun on his heel just as a female crewman was approaching from behind. She dropped a handful of PADDs onto the deck and splashed half a mug of Raktajino onto Hiro's neatly pressed uniform. Takahashi: What is the meaning of this!? Yeoman: Oh. My. Stars. I am so sorry, lieutenant. I was just coming to drop these off for the captain to look over later and didn't know you were going to turn around like that and the coffee is my first of the day so you know... She paused to inhale. Takahashi: Crewman. Are you assigned to the Fleet Captain? Yeoman: Yessir! Yeoman First Class Anya Keen! Takahashi: I guess that means you work for me now, Yeoman Keen. Lieutenant Takahashi, flag lieutenant. Keen: Sir!? The captain didn't mention- Takahashi: The captain has enough on her plate than needing to update a yeoman on every personnel transfer. Keen balked at the flag lieutenant's gruff personality. It was like he was a Telarite or something! Keen: Well she's not known for- Takahashi: Do you have access to her ready room? Keen: Of course sir. Takahashi: After you, then... Keen: R-right... They entered the captain's ready room. Takahashi took note of the pristine condition of the office. It was like it was brand new - never used by a soul. Now this was a facet of the captain he hadn't expected. He was singularly delighted that she took such pride in her work place. There was a clattering as Keen dumped the stack of PADDs into a desk drawer that was almost overflowing with identical devices, before shutting it again. Takahashi: Yeoman. Why did you not add those PADDs to the captain's desk? Keen: Well, sir, this is where the captain would shove them once she comes in anyway... Takahashi: I... See. Very well. What is the captain's calendar like today? Keen: Well I have no idea, sir. She doesn't share that information with me. Takahashi: Yes, I'm started to get the sense that she likes her privacy. Never mind. We'll bring her around eventually. Keen: ::Dazed:: We will? Takahashi: Indeed. We will. Not to worry Yeoman Keen. I've been trained by Starfleet Administration, and I take my duties very seriously. Keen: Oh. That's good to know, sir. ::She didn't sound very enthusiastic:: Just as the pair was about to leave the ready room, an incoming call announcement appeared on the desk terminal, featuring the Starbase 104 crest. Before the yeoman had a chance to say anything, Hiro tapped the terminal to accept the communication. From this point on he'd ensure only the most essentially communications made their way to the captain's attention. Flag officers were the gate keepers of their officer's time after all. The face that appeared on the other end of the screen adopted a look of sudden surprise. He was lean and willowy, also sporting the rank of lieutenant though backed by the mustard facings of the operations division. Security Officer: You're not Captain Rajel. Takahashi: Very observant, lieutenant. You must be in security... ::He drawled acidly:: Security Officer: I- Takahashi: I'm Lieutenant Takahashi; Fleet Captain Rajel's flag lieutenant. What do you have that need's the captain's attention? Security Officer: We have two of the Constitution's senior officers locked up in the brig right now and were just wondering if the captain would like to come and sign for their release. The security officer spoke with a false sweetness that Takahashi imagined he must have relished. Many in his line of work enjoyed passing on news like this. Senior officers incarcerated? That was a good start to a story in the wardroom... Takahashi: ::Pulling a PADD and stylus out.:: Their names? Security Officer: Yito and Spears. Lieutenants. Takahashi: And the charges? Security Officer: No formal charges... yet. An official complaint was filed after a violent altercation in a section of the station restricted to station personnel. Now this was interesting, and likely to get the captain's attention. There was no way she could avoid him any longer if he had news like this. Still, the sense of injustice ruffled the bureaucrat's feathers. Takahashi: Locked up on a complaint? Those officers are department heads on this ship. Hardly a risk that they wouldn't appear if summoned to answer to this complaint... Security Officer: Standing orders are no one is released from detention until their CO comes to sign them out. Takahashi: Sounds uncivilized if you ask me. I thought we were better than this. Security Officer: And I thought we were better than our officers getting involved in riots and arson but there we go. The screen went blank leaving Hiro's mouth slightly ajar for a moment. He quickly recovered and looked to the yeoman who was trying to appear as though she'd been deaf through the whole conversation. My, but the captain's flower looked like it needed watering... Takahashi: Keen. You hold things down here. I'm off to find the captain. Keen: Uh, yessir! Of course! ::She eyed the door.:: Hiro left with a quickness to his step that could only be brought on by a sense of purpose. He was starting to like this job, just a little. His new captain was a challenge. Takahashi: =/\= Lieutenant Takahashi to Captain Rajel. It's urgent that I see you as soon as possible.=/\= Rajel: Response Takahashi: =/\= It's better not said over the comms, captain. A situation has come up on the station and some of our officers were involved.=/\= Rajel: Response Takahashi: =/\= Already on my way, captain. I'll see you there. =/\= Tag / TBC Lt Takahashi Hiro Flag Lieutenant to Fleet Captain Rajel Simmed by Lt Edward Spears, MD Chief Medical Officer USS Constitution-B C239502ES0
  13. @Quentin Collins III; giving this fleet a good name since the day he started. ((Interior. Faculty of Classics. Cambridge University. Cambridgeshire, England)) Note: This takes place shortly before The Slow Blade Penetrates the Shield. Angelique: Now I know exactly what you are all thinking. “Well, she certainly doesn’t LOOK like a witch!” ::A nervous but genuine laugh broke out amongst the lecture hall. It was always better to try and disarm them first. Catch them off balance. Something she had grown quite adroit at during her long years in academia. Everything about her presentation today was designed to charm. From her burgundy colored tweed suit to the loose curls her thistled hair hung in around her shoulders, she aimed to make the best possible impression on the “stuffed shirts”, as her beloved referred to them. Jamison wasn’t particularly thrilled about the idea of her living in England for the incoming weeks, on loan to the college’s Classics department to help inventory a newly discovered cache of texts, thought to be stolen from the archives of St. Thomas Aquinas. But he wasn’t about to keep her from her books or from teaching new students. Any more than they could have kept their son away from the stars.:: Angelique: Trust me, I have heard it all before. And I’m sure the things I didn’t hear were twice as bad. But here is the question I pose...what if I was? ::the expected Murmur of dissension rattled the room. And the wolfish smile that usually accompanied it from her came as well.:: Angelique: think about it. Truly, think. We will in wondrous times. I look around this room and see a world of academia idealized. Races and creeds from behind the very fold of space now sit among us and learn of us just as we of them. We enjoy a society free of the ugly prejudices of before. A wealth of food for every table. All of this? At one time? Thought impossible. ::he raised her hands in contrition and crossed downward on the stage.:: Angelique: Now I know what you thinking here now as well. “You mean to tell us love gives you the power over matter?! Poppy[...]!” My husband has given me all forms of this argument I assure you. ::more laughter and a wider smile from the Professor. Time to finally reel them in.:: Angelique: but I, like you all, have seen incredible, groundbreaking things. Things that decades ago would have been indistinguishable from magic. I myself have stood upon a leyline and felt it’s charge. I have walked upon the moors of Loch Loroma and cast bones in the moonlight. We cannot be so close minded as to Ignore the mysteries that still await for us here in the hidden parts of the world. Angelique: how can we call ourselves Scholars if we are not willing to seek out the knowledge beyond knowledge? That is what I intend to seek here with you. Now if you’ll allow, I would like to give you a bit more background as to my “school” of thou- ::she never finished the sentence. In its stead a vision pierced though her skull, sending her eyes rolling into the back of her head and her frame bucking at the knees.:: ::Quentin. He was far away. Further than he had ever been from her. Blood coats his hands. The metal god looms underneath him. The frightened keepers hover above the Bird of Prey. She tries to reach for him but he fades. Further still, The Eyes fix on her son. Calling for him again and again and again and again and again and again.:: ::When she awakes, she realizes she’s crying. The assistant given to her by the university, Lucie, stands in front of her, clearly also shaken.:: Angelique: My boy...something’s happened...to my boy. ::is all she manages.:. END PROFESSOR ANGELIQUE BOUCHARD-COLLINS PROFESSOR OF PARAPSYCHOLOGY AND ANTHROPOLOGY EMERITUS SALEM U. BANGOR, MAINE As simmed by LT jg. QUENTIN COLLINS III SCIENCE OFFICER U.S.S. EAGLE NCC-74659 E239512QC0
  14. The Star Trek galaxy is full of alien worlds and while some may be very similar to Earth, many of the more developed planets have a distinct feeling all their own. Whether you want an Earth-like planet full of beautiful art and architecture or a smog-filled metropolis with near-constant rain, there’s a planet for you somewhere in the galaxy. Some, like the pressure domes of Luna or the underwater cities of Bolarus IX offer very different environments compared to Earth. If you were to pick one of the planets in the galaxy as a place to live, where would you begin your search? Perhaps a small house overlooking the Vulcan Fire Plains. Is a large city like those on Ferenginar or Qo’noS more your speed? If you’re looking for a breathtaking view, seeing the Bolarus ocean floor outside your window is tough to compete with. Or maybe you’d be more than happy right where you are, as there’s no place like home. This week’s poll asks: Which Star Trek world would you most like to live on? Click here to head to the forums now and vote – be sure to let us known which planet you would choose in the thread below the poll! The post Poll of the Week: House Hunters appeared first on UFOP: StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG. View the full article
  15. Every month, the Academy staff works to compile the statistics about our recruiting and training for the fleet’s informational purposes. Let’s take a look at how we did as a fleet in June. This first graph depicts the number of applications that we have received each month this year. The month of June was the second month in a row with a decline in the number of applications. As a fleet, we finished the month with nine new applications. The following chart shows how our new members found us, according to their application: This final graph shows how many people graduated from the Academy during the month of June. The fleet saw only four graduates during the month of June, tying it with March for the lowest number this year. This includes two applicants who applied during the month of May. We also had four applicants whose training did not start until the beginning of July. These new recruits are the lifeblood of our community. Without them, it becomes difficult to keep our ships fully crewed and even more difficult to grow the fleet. If you’d like to help us recruit more members and grow our fleet, you can join the Publicity Team using this form. The post Applications and Academy Graduates for June 2019 appeared first on UFOP: StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG. View the full article
  16. Earlier
  17. Please welcome our newest Academy graduates to the UFOP: StarBase 118 fleet: Nali Talia and Artinus Serinus! The post New Academy Graduates appeared first on UFOP: StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG. View the full article
  18. The staff of UFOP: SB118 would like to congratulate all who saw their hard work and dedication pay off this month. Please be sure to congratulate these members when you see them around the forums and chat room! ASTRAEUS Sheila Bailey to Lieutenant JG Kawakame Shin to Lieutenant Tiria Hamasaki to Lieutenant German Galven to Lieutenant Commander ATLANTIS Esa Darkkdust to Lieutenant JG Kiliak Jo to Lieutenant Alexander Williams to Commander VERITAS Addison MacKenzie to Lieutenant JG Geoffrey Teller to Lieutenant G’Var to Lieutenant Jansen Orrey to Lieutenant Commander The post Promotions for July appeared first on UFOP: StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG. View the full article
  19. @Toryn Raga is doing an amazing job of playing a deranged AI. I'm enjoying each post just that much more! ((Beta Quadrant, Par'tha Expanse, Jenatris Cloud, Chon Supply Depot Sal'thresta, "Outpost Gamma")) Omni: Golds and blues and violets and greens. Nebulae and gone tomorrow. Signals lost, signals found, echo transmission aloud! :: Laughter was quickly followed by a long drawn out ooooooh, as a signal. A friendly signal, familiar, ancient pinged off the communication system. Instantly triggering the passing along of said ping through the gaseous cloud surrounding the ancient station. Vibrant shields held back the gases that would otherwise have looooong destroyed the small little depot. :: Omni: What's this? What's this? A signal in the air? What's this? What's this? Chon signals everywheeeeeere! ::There was a brief absolute silence.:: Omni: Aaaaand it's gone. The signal and the station. Oooh, the big outpost is gone. Missing. Stolen? Must be one of the ones that pass by in the gap. Haha, mind the gap! Or get the gas!! :: Cajoling laughter echoed throughout networked circuits and pathways. :: :: A proximity alert triggered suddenly and the sensors showed an incoming ship. Unknown, small. Data packets. More data. He accessed it. Federation. Starfleet. Whatever those words meant. It approached slowly. Heading for a shuttlebay. Light. Light was good. So a light turned on outside. Then a communication system that had not seen use in centuries sent out a hail. :: Hyden: We have a shuttle bay fifty degrees from the Starboard side. :: As she said it the stations light activated and a voice came through the comms. :: Unknown Voice: =/\= Small ship, shiny ship want to come inside!! =/\= Hyden: =/\= Hello I am Lieutenant Maddi Hyden of the Federation Starship Atlantis. =/\= Voice: =/\= Rank and name. Organization and Vessel Designation. Booooooooring!!! =/\= Kiliak: Well, I hope they're fans of the Federation. What do you two make of it? Voice: =/\= Hellloooooo?? This thing must be broken. Omni needs more. =/\= :: The sensors showed the shuttle just outside the bay, it was dark, had no power. It needed power. So, power it got. Sensors scanned the small shuttle as it neared one of the green depot's shuttlebays. Lifesigns. Would need atmosphere. So, the bay filled with atmosphere matched specifically to what the scans showed inside the shuttle. A green forcefield appeared on the opening of the shuttlebay, meant to keep the atmosphere inside and permit vessels to come and go. :: Omni: =/\= Come..come. =/\= :: The communication ceased and atmosphere filled the entire deck the shuttlebay was on as systems offline for thousands of years came to life once more. :: Hyden: Thanks for the warm if not somewhat irregular welcome...Omni? Is that what you want to be called? :: Sensors showed the three lifesigns exit the shuttlecraft and the one that they had been talking to once more spoke. It was so nice to hear a voice other than their own. :: Omni: We said Omni already did we not? Perhaps the species has underdeveloped audible sensors? Sluggish cognitive comprehension? ::There was a brief bit off laughter followed by a groaning sound:: Booooring...Omni needs more! Hyden: What do you mean you need more? Omni: Input! Data! Must have input! ::Cackling:: Company! We're so lonely! :: The trio gathered together to converse at a low audible setting, so they increased the sensitivity on the internal communications to overhear. :: Hyden: There must be a computer interface somewhere in here. See if you can find it have Danara tag along with you in case you need her expertise with Chon security. :: She whispered in Jo’s ear. :: Kiliak: Response :: As they listened systems across the depot were slowly being brought back online. After centuries of inactivity there were procedures to adhere to to insure the station was awakened properly and safely. :: Hyden: Ok, Omni what would you like to know more about? Omni: Everything. Anything. ::Laughter:: More! Well, different things things we can't learn from our systems. We wish to have input, just like you are attempting to do in accessing our systems. I wouldn't use that one though. It only has access to the shuttlebay. Many systems have limited access but we have access to many systems, all systems! ::It sounded giddy like a child excited for an achievement:: Hyden: Wait so you're telling me you’re everywhere on this station? Are you a computer of some sort? Omni: Everywhere. Nowhere. Here. There. Omni is Omni. ::Again they laughed, like a discordant chorus of voices:: Hyden: Well we’re not here to hurt you Omni, but some information could help us out if you’d be willing to give it? Omni: Give? Omni could give. But Omni wants input!! Give us input and we giiiiiiive youuuuuuu infor..infor...information!! ::There was a giggle:: OOh, what's that, problem...system isn't working like it should...must fix, must fix, must fix. ::There was a brief bit of whistling then silence:: Hyden: Well what are your thoughts on all this? Kiliak/Danara: Responses Hyden: I have to concur, but we can’t do anything until we figure out a way to draw it’s observation away from one system to activate it. Kiliak/Danara: Responses :: They had listened while working on fixing the error that cropped up while powering up the station, like overhearing a conversation nearby while focused on something else. Something was preventing power from reaching several locations throughout the station, which was leaving several systems offline. Still, the roll of playful, if unhinged laughter heralded Omni's presence once more. :: Omni: Come, come! Come see Omni! Hyden/Kiliak/Danara: response Omni: Well, the Operations Core of course. ::Voice drops to a whisper but still clearly audible through the intercom:: Underdeveloped reasoning skills likely. ::Laughing again:: Omni is the core, come to Omni. Hyden/Kiliak/Danara: response Omni: Don't go that way. Go that way. No..the other way. ::Laughing again:: Use the computer. The device you were going to use. Download the schematics. Omni give you map...map...map...map! Hyden/Kiliak/Danara: response
  20. We invite all members of our community to join us in the Discord chat room this coming Sunday, for our regularly scheduled get-together, where we’ll talk about what’s happening around the fleet, learn more about each other, and discuss Star Trek! The chat starts this Sunday, July 14 at 10am Pacific, 1pm Eastern, 6pm UTC. Click here to see the start time in your zone, and add this event to your calendar. This chat is open to all and casual, so feel free to come and go as you please. See you there! The post Join us for the fleetwide chat this coming Sunday appeared first on UFOP: StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG. View the full article
  21. A friend of mine from another role-playing venue showed me one of her son's from here. I was instantly intrigued.
  22. It’s the 25th anniversary of the 118 fleet and the Podcast Team is working harder than ever to bring you an entertaining show! Check out these fun segments: Montreal in Focus: Chloe Waters interviews Mei’konda Announcements and Team ads read By Lael Rosek Moments In Time: Important events in 118 history by Toryn Raga Legacy: Embassy at Duronis II by Toryn Raga Welcome to the Fleet, covering graduates from January 2396 through May 2396 read by Kelrod Roshanara Rahman interviews Geoffrey Teller What’s New With The Fleet? (Snippets of Mission Reports from the USS Eagle, the USS Montreal, and the USS Columbia) read by Lael Rosek “Reach the Light,” Filk Written by Lael Rosek and Riley Delar, Sung By Kelrod Voiceover and editorial contributions were provided by Lt. Commander Lael Rosek, Fleet Captain Roshanara Rahman, Captain Mei’konda, Lt Commander Toryn Raga, Commander Kelrod, Lieutenant JG Chloe Waters, and Lieutenant Geoffrey Teller. Video edited by Lt. Commander German Galven. Click here to listen to the June 2396 podcast on YouTube. The post Celebrate our 25th anniversary by listening to our podcast appeared first on UFOP: StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG. View the full article
  23. This month, in the second of our series of interviews with staff members who recently received a flag officer promotion, we’re talking with Quinn Reynolds – our newest Vice Admiral – to learn more about what she can teach members of the fleet with her long years of experience. FORTUNE: Thank you so much for joining us today! REYNOLDS: Thank you! I’m delighted to be here. A promotion to Vice Admiral is not something to sneeze at! Looking back on all these years with the fleet, what do you believe is one piece of advice you would give to a new Ensign or a Cadet thinking of joining us? Embrace the community. I’ve always found that the most fun I’ve had with 118 are the times that I’ve been sharing active in sharing story, character development and OOC ideas with other members. Other people can spark ideas in directions you would have never imagined by yourself, and give you confidence to try things you might never have dreamed up alone. I’d like to know more about your mission-writing ideas. What gives something that pop, that ding to it that sends you mashing on the keyboard long into the night to bring it to life? Really, I think it’s any idea that gives me more ideas; a mission seed that instantly sets the imagination spinning off in a dozen different directions. When a proposal instantly prompts lots of ideas for scenes, plot twists and outcomes, I can be fairly sure it’s something that everyone in the crew will be able to get their teeth into and have a fun time with. Interesting! Hitting Vice Admiral is admirable (hah). Let’s roll back the years to when you first began: Was command your goal? Or has it changed? I came into the group just wanting to roleplay in the Star Trek universe, though I did already have an established history as a tabletop GM. My interest in command was really something that evolved over time, as I saw how we told stories in such a collaborative, freeform setting and learned what role the captain played in making sure everyone had a great time. Wow! Never would have known. Can you give us a little insight to any future plans you have for Quinn? Well, she’s getting married! That’s a huge deal for her as she never thought she’d find a relationship that could weather her many and varied quirks, as well as her career. From a professional standpoint, she’s recently been drawn back into the murky world of Romulan conspiracies and Orion Syndicate shenanigans, and I’m looking forward to exploring that with my crew. What has been your favorite – or least favorite – event that has happened with Quinn on her journey to the stars? I really don’t think I could choose just one, there’s been so many wonderful stories I’ve been a part of. Perhaps one of the most influential was as an ensign, very early on in my career, when I got to spend a mission alone with the CO’s PNPC, which paved the way for one of the most defining relationships of Quinn’s life. As a member of the Executive Council, the Captains Council, the Academy Commandant, and the CO of the Gorkon, I’d imagine you have learned how to really manage your time. How do you make that work, and what would you recommend for others who are wanting to grow their involvement in the community? It’s easier than it used to be, what with smartphones being so ubiquitous! I’d recommend that anyone looking to grow their involvement seek out the publicity, news, and – if they’re Lieutenant and above – the training team. These three teams really form the core of our OOC efforts, as they’re vital to drawing in and acclimatising new players, and only ask a little time every month to help. Wonderful! Well thank you so much for our interview and just for being here on SB118! We very much appreciate you, Vice Admiral Reynolds! Thank you! I’m fortunate to be a part of such a wonderful community. And thank YOU, everyone, for reading our article today! Have a great day and see you amongst the stars! For more information about Vice Admiral Quinn Reynolds, check out her bio on the wiki. The post New flag officer interview: Vice Admiral Quinn Reynolds, USS Gorkon appeared first on UFOP: StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG. View the full article
  24. We’ve seen a slight drop in sims throughout the UFOP: Starbase 118 fleet, as we count a total post count of 1,541, which can be attributed to a normal summer slowdown. The average per ship sim count is 171, reflecting a summer full of good weather and plenty of typical vacations! This month, the USS Astraeus – the new ship which the crew of the Montreal transferred to – leads the pack with 221 sims written. Following close behind is the Gorkon, with 203 sims. Without too much of a gap after that, the Constitution clocked 192 sims for the month of June, and the USS Eagle came in with 188. Check out some of the highlights of this past month’s simming through our Appreciations forum, where you and your fellow members can nominate sims, great quotes, and other memorable moments for the rest of the fleet to enjoy! The post June 2019 Post Counts appeared first on UFOP: StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG. View the full article
  25. The way we write our sims is an important part of our culture here in UFOP: SB118. Learning how to write in the “modified script format” is a big part of training, and acclimating to it can take some time. But it’s a powerful method of collaborative writing, making it easy to pull out dialogue and separate it from exposition so that we can “pass around” the story as quickly and easily as possible. We’ve had this format of writing since the founding of our group 25 years ago, in 1994. It was the dominant mode of writing sims among people who roleplayed on AOL, like I was doing when I founded the group with some folks I had met in AOL’s “Red Dragon Inn” chat room and some Star Trek chat rooms. Since then, other groups have come and gone, and this format – despite its clear benefits – has become less popular. We’re still “all-in” on this way of writing, but the Executive Council recently did some thinking about how it works and decided to make one big modification that we’re announcing to the fleet today: We’re going to be dropping the ::action:: signifiers from our game almost completely. Let’s talk more about why, and what this will look like. Why are we doing this? The simplest and most direct explanation is that in many cases these signifiers don’t actually add anything to your understanding of what you’re reading. For example, consider the following excerpt from our fleet’s example sim that’s available on our website for prospective members: ((Aeroshuttle Beethoven)) ::Another blast rocked the tiny shuttle and a warning alarm sounded about some system that was failing; but Tressa wasn’t focussing on anything but setting up a channel to the Victory. She spoke aloud as she worked, partly so Eisaran knew what she was doing, and partly to try and keep herself sane. She was aware of the shaking in her voice and as the channel to the Victory opened she did her best to swallow her fear and sound partially in control of her emotions at that point…:: TRESSA: =/\= Aeroshuttle Beethoven to USS Victory, a Romulan Warbird has decloaked approximately 3 minutes from your last recorded location with us. It appears th- =/\= The ((location)) signifiers help the reader understand where the character is, and the dialogue signifier, with the character’s name, helps you understand who’s speaking – and makes it easy to grab that section for when you write your sim and drop it in. But even without those ::action:: signifiers, you’d still recognize that what you were reading was exposition, because otherwise what would that text be? It’s eminently clear that paragraph is scene-setting, and by removing ::these::, we don’t lose any context or readability. And in fact, what we gain is lot. These signifiers are one of the most alien parts of our sim writing, and it takes some getting used to, especially if you’re an experienced fiction writer. We’ve heard from some prospective members and cadets that our format was simply too difficult for them to understand or get in the habit of writing with, and we think that dropping these signifiers will go a long way toward making our sims easier for the untrained eye to read, but also easier for new people to adopt the other simple parts of our writing style. Perhaps even more importantly is that these signifiers can cause make it difficult to both read or hear our sims, and write or dictate them, with the kinds of tools that differently abled people use when they’re not able to see or type. Dictation software struggles with these symbols in particular. You may have also noticed that if you’re typing on a soft keyboard (like the one on your mobile phone) that these symbols can add a significant amount of time to your writing, as you’re forced to switch back and forth from the symbols to the letters to add them. So by removing them, considering they don’t add anything particularly helpful to a sim, we potentially make it easier to write, and easier for prospective members to read and learn how our sims work. One caveat: In-line actions There is one place that offsetting actions is particularly important, and that’s when they appear “in line” with dialogue. Here’s an example: TRESSA: ::Smiling:: I’ve located the freighter. In this case, an aside showing us the action needs a clear signifier so we know that it’s not a part of the dialogue. But the question is how we do this in a way that makes most sense. Unfortunately some options for signage that might seem more natural – like *these* or _these_ are off-limits due to the rise of Markdown language in chat and blogging software, which uses those symbols to signify italics and underlined text. That leaves us with two other options: Continue using the double colons for in-line actions Use parentheses. As parentheses are never used in speech, any appearance of them within a line of dialogue will be clearly an offset or aside. The first option is pretty clear since we’re all so familiar with it. But it doesn’t negate obvious downsides to use double colons – hard to use with dictation software, somewhat difficult on soft keyboards, and very alien looking to new and prospective members. The second option has the benefit of being easier to use, as parentheses are a common part of writing, but they look rather alien to those of us who have been using colons for a while! After a spirited debate among the fleet’s staff members, we’ve decided to open this debate to the fleet and allow everyone to decide how to proceed. We’re running a poll on the forums where everyone can both vote, and weigh-in. We’re going to give the fleet a month to land on the option that they think makes the most sense, and then we’ll announce to the fleet how we’re proceeding. What happens next? We’ll run our poll starting today and ending on Sunday, August 4. Once that’s done, we’ll begin our transition to the new format. The transition period will last three months, and will look like this: Phase 1 (Thursday, July 4 -> Sunday, August 4): In this phase we’re notifying the fleet about the impending change and polling about how people believe we should change the action signifiers for in-line actions. Everyone should still use our current format. Phase 2 (Monday, August 5 -> Sunday, September 1): In this phase, we’ll be asking everyone to begin using the new format. We know there will be lots of times when folks forget to transition their writing during this phase, so your ship staff will provide gentle reminders throughout the month. We’ll ask everyone to share any “edge cases” we hadn’t considered with the new format and provide public guidance where helpful about how to proceed. And any tips that make it easier to transition will definitely be welcomed! Phase 3 (Monday, September 2 -> onward): In this final phase, everyone will be required to write in the new format. Staff will provide clear and direct reminders to everyone. Folks that aren’t able to transition after multiple reminders may have their sims moderated on their ship list until they can consistently submit sims using the new format. Click here to vote in the poll now: https://www.starbase118.net/2019/script-format-modification/ The post We’re making some changes to the script format appeared first on UFOP: StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG. View the full article
  26. To be made a captain in Starfleet is to be recognized with trust, respect and appreciation. Despite a variety of episodes in which our heroes encounter less scrupulous colleagues, for the most part, Captains Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway and Archer performed their duties with honor, dedication and courage. Emphasis on the “for the most part.” Even the best of us slip up or do something we regret from time to time. The pressures of commanding a starship and protecting ones crew can lead to a variety of ethically grey areas. No captain has been immune to this. Captain Kirk’s (somewhat understandable, if not commendable) bigotry toward Klingons was well documented. Captain Picard’s strict and uncompromising adherence to the Prime Directive lead to deep, lasting consequences on several occasions, and on one occasion, his refusal to order his tactical officer to donate blood to a Romulan doomed that Romulan to a slow and painful death. Captain Sisko was the first to engage in conspiratorially illegal actions, which included becoming an accessory to murder and a blatant violation of the Prime Directive. He was also responsible for utilizing a weapon of mass destruction on a civilian Maquis population. Captain Janeway’s decision to destroy the Caretaker’s array left the entire crew of Voyager stranded in an unfamiliar quadrant, and her obsession with exploration brought incalculable danger into their midst. Captain Archer’s often entitled attitude underlied actions with potentially disturbing implications, such as his refusal to give an entire civilization the cure to a mortal disease, and a desperate attack on an innocent alien vessel when diplomacy failed. This week’s question is: Which captain do you believe was the most morally dubious? Click here to head to the forums now and vote in the poll. Let us know your thoughts in the thread below the poll! The post Poll of the Week: Most Morally Dubious Captain? appeared first on UFOP: StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG. View the full article
  27. Stepped off the shuttle pad and scowled as he looked around. It was obvious by the Ensign pip on his collar that he was a recent Academy Grad just like the wide eyed idiots who were milling around, staring dumbfound in slack jawed wonderment at the environment of their first duty station in the Fleet. He was immediately discernible from his fellow graduates in that he had to be a good 20 years older than the oldest kid in the group. His jaw had a firm set to it and there was a dull, listless, hard sheen to his gaze. While yes, this man was a recent Academy Graduate, he was by no means new to the hardships and harshness of space. He shouldered his duffel, squared his shoulders and brushed briskly past the other butter bars. He needed a drink and maybe even a cigarette if he should be so lucky.
  28. Evening. I'm honored to be invited to be a part of this community. This group was ST RP before it ever became a popular past time. Howdy y'all. I'm Nathan. I'm just recently starting to enjoy the little things everyday life has to offer. I'm a Marine Veteran with 12 years of honorable service, including 2 deployments to the Stan and 1 to Iraq. I'd be closing in on my 20 year mark around this time but I was injured on my last deployment and after a long stubborn bout of macho denial I finally admitted to myself that my injuries were never going to let me get back to 100% and I took an honorable medical discharge. I do a little security contract work here and there but for the most part I have a lot of free time on my hands and rather than continue to drive my lady nuts finding obscure and pointless tasks around our house, I figured I'd get back into RP. Been role playing off and on for 20 years and I'm damn proud and glad to be here.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.