• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

January & February Writing Challenge

Tony, aka VAiru

Welcome back, everyone, and I hope you're excited for the first Writing Challenge of 2014!

We're going to be doing something quite new for this Challenge: Instead of presenting you with a theme or an idea, we'll be giving you a piece of Trek conceptual art -- in this case, this piece of art chosen by our November & December 2013 winner, Sarah:

http://www.coronacomingattractions.com/sites/default/files/news/trek_into_darkness_pods_0.jpg

Writes Sarah: "The image holds an incredible sense of anxious foreboding for me." What about for you? Regardless of whether you know what this image may represent, how can it inform or inspire your own story? You may take this Challenge in any direction you would like so long as it's inspired by the art prompt. As always, feel free to ask questions in this thread if you'd like to talk more!

As of today, Thursday, January 2nd, this Challenge is open! All entries must be received by Friday, February 21st in order to be considered for this Challenge.

As always, please remember:

*Your work must be completely original.

*You must be the sole author of the work.

*Your story must take place in the Star Trek universe, but may not center upon canon characters.

*Sign your final draft as you would a post on your ship.

*Your story must be between 300 and 3000 words.

For any questions you might have, remember that you can always post questions to this thread or visit the Writing Challenge website.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I guess it goes more about the feel of the picture but what is that on the pic? I have not seen the movie so I don't know and I have trouble identifying it.

I'd actually think it would be an advantage not to know what they are. Knowing what they are keeps guiding the mind back to the movie and concepts stemming from it.

• Like 1

Knowing what it is lead me to the scene from Matrix where Neo finds out that people are used as a batteries. Wakes same anxious foreboding emotions.

I think we should remember here that they were not just pods, but weapons of mass destruction that were refunctioned to act as cryo-pods. Thus the picture can be interpreted both ways. More if you let your mind wander a little.

MFG

• Like 1

I'd actually think it would be an advantage not to know what they are. Knowing what they are keeps guiding the mind back to the movie and concepts stemming from it.

That was my thought as well. But if you've read this thread, then you can choose to write in response to what you know it to be, or you can take it in a completely different and/or conceptual way. Also, do please continue to discuss on this thread if you'd like!

• 1 month later...

This Challenge is officially over! Please stay tuned as the results will be posted soon!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.