• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Books Bardwell

Does anyone play a sentient hologram

Hey all, im new and have been approved for training. I have a (in my opinion a good) character and background idea for a sentient/self-aware hologram. However i was wondering if anyone else was playing one or has played as one. If so i would love to hear any advice, pointers, and story's about said characters. Id also like to take the moment and say i look forward to the adventures and getting to know this group of explorers :-)

• Like 2

Hey all, im new and have been approved for training. I have a (in my opinion a good) character and background idea for a sentient/self-aware hologram. However i was wondering if anyone else was playing one or has played as one. If so i would love to hear any advice, pointers, and story's about said characters. Id also like to take the moment and say i look forward to the adventures and getting to know this group of explorers :-)

Hello and welcome!

Unfortunately, your species is not approved for our game. You can see the entire list of species that are playable on our Intelligent Lifeform Index. Sorry for the confusion.

You can choose a new species and let your training officer know what it is on the day you start training.

• Like 1

Like the Fltadml said... We have tried i know I tried to do a Spock + Data like hologram,.. So many problems, just at the social levels alone. My idea was a left over revolutionary from the holo- revolution to sentient ness I even designed optical circuits in a dual positronic network when interaction took place..., well it was impossible to do,.. I had the only solution become human so my character is a synthesized human and I just had a Klingon spear removed from my back ouch,, as a hologram I could of done terminator things that kind of power hurts the player and the playies.,,human errors are some of my greatest sims..

I'm very sad to hear that my sentient/self-aware hologram character idea will have to stay with in my mind. Hopefully after i have gathered enough experience SIMING perhaps i could submit a request to that captains counsel (I know it'll be a long time before I personally would feel conferable doing so.) I am however still interested in the topic of a sentient/self-aware hologram characters. Piqui, you mentioned that as a hologram you could of done " terminator things" in regards to the Klingon spear removed from your back. Can you explain that in a wider view? You also mentioned "So many problems" can you also elaborate on this as as well?

Admiral, ill be coming up with new character ideas soon so i will be able to let the commending officer know.

Edited by Program_307

a hologram when synced to the computer on the ship is almost like a Q. never gets ill like data, and as you had in the intro of your character can regulate any emotions if they want to have emotions... This means in a sim...It will always go "your" way with all the desires you have the writer. This seems well and good, right? But no one relates to you nobody wants to "hang" and get drunk on synthahol with you because you can't, the hologram has no clue about such things...

remember the terminator two and three. those metallic morphing machines.. well that is also the idea with a hologram morphing machine. never gets hurt. never suffers.. and as I found I quickly ran out of fun things to do when the hologram was impervious to faults and mishaps. even thought Piqui, the hologram, was part of the holo-revolution for freedom of all sentient life forms based on the Data sentience trial he had no problems and the revolution was like throwing a switch just that one minute mining in caves then the next out in galaxy without a clue where to go or what to do, or how to relate to anyone.. there is no way to know how an actual hologram will behave but it has all been programed and so there is almost no guess work involved...the Piqui as a hologram would not be hurt by a spear for all intents and purposes each finger could be a kind of weapon or phaser. I developed piqui as a Lt. Cmdr. xoet twelve's lab experiment at a certain point i had to go on leave from the sb and my character was left in deep science research coming back the story became the developed hologram Piqui but the avenues of play were to much to contain and in four or so months I ended up taking a year off from the starbase... to develop the story of a conversion from hologram to human*... by xoet 12. the hologram was a dead end character not lasting more then three to six months.. the holographic Borg units from futures outside the galaxy are becoming a pivotal rival to the future of some of the federations' time lines. with the xoet technique for humanization of these units things are changing. fast. ///

*there is more on this outside the galaxy ..

not sure if this helps but the hologram was a sentient pet of xoet who developed into my main character ...

• Like 1

I do see your points. Very well explained and I see what you mean by they would be almost a "Q" like character and how it damper the experience of the SIM. However what about the complexity of the holograms programming? (Btw this more a discussion of pure interest now on my part. I've already come up with different character idea :-) ) I could see how a holograms programming would be the equivalent to a flesh and blood characters childhood. In everyone's childhood we pick up traits from the people of influence in our lives good or bad. As we grow older we come in contact with other people that either have the same traits or different traits. During this time we without even really thinking about it we evaluate the traits and what ones would serve us better in the long run. For an example of this look at season two of voyager were the doctor falls in love with his patient. Or when the doctor programs himself with the flu and Kes increased the time of the of the flu without him knowing. Both times his program became more sensitive to the needs of his shipmates. This gives us the basic blueprint of our future personality. The only difference between a flesh and blood person and a hologram (at least to me that is) is that a hologram could produce a physically record if need be about how its program came to a particular conclusion about the subject in question. I also feel that i should show some light on William Nydale. He was programmed by two respected holonovelists that couldn't have children. His basic programming was a blend of both of his "parents" philological profiles as well as a blend of there medical records for what a child between the two of them would look like. This blend of characteristics where randomly chosen by the holographic computer core. They also integrated a network of learning algorithms into his program. William grew into his self awareness much like children grow to become their own person. The only major thing they added to his program was a desire to find his purpose and that is a goal of everyone in the galaxy. Also his parents put into place a network of algorithms that prevent William from either adding or deleting data files except via his learning algorithms.

Like i said this is purely for interest only at this point. I've come up with a different character to use. Its just intrusting to hear your thoughts.

• Like 1

While I don't play a sentient hologram, I do have a character which is self aware and has the same level of independence of the Doctor (VOY). She commands and controls my PC's NPC ship that occasionally turns up in a mission. EVE plays the dual role of avatar and sound horn of the ship's status, current sensor data etc. I get around the restrictions of playing such a character by actually imposing my own restrictions to ensure that EVE doesn't become some kind of super being. For example during a ground battle, she could project herself and engage the enemy without risk, using the sensors and systems to 'jump' from one opponent to the other. I got around this obvious advantage by binding her to the ship due to damages the vessel suffered previously. A few other examples are that the ship wouldn't be able to function fully without her, so she can't abandon it during tricky maneuvers and in one case her ethical subroutine jumped in and she chose to ignore a direct order to save two lives in favor of holding the Thunder in orbit and saving all aboard and that regardless of the order coming from her creator.

In all I like exploring her character. I like the way she feels a duty to Jaxon who programmed her and tweaked, modified and encouraged her to develop, but also the fact she can chose to act on her own and without his consent. Of course there is also the engineering and technical side which is fun to explore as well as little curiosities; As she is intertwined into the Raven, she can be in multiple places at once while aboard, though doesn't like to do so. Of course this is only a small insight into a character who I have given a rather complex personality as it is really fun to sim her view of the world.

MFG

• Like 1

D.K. you bring up a very good point. Its not all about the strengths of a character that make him/her fun to play or develop, but the weaknesses of said character. Seeing a character make their weaknesses strengths, or seeing how a character either does or doesn't get around their weaknesses is far more interesting (at least to me) then seeing a super kick butt person that has no flaws. Its more fun to play and to write (i don't know about SIMMING but we shall see soon enough :-) ). With a sentient hologram character you LARGE list of flaws to choose from. The simple fact that your a hologram alone is a major character flaw. The character can ask questions like "why am i here?" "Do i have a soul?" "Am i real?" "If i do have a soul, what happens when i go off line?" Any of those questions would be add layers of complexity to their development all while helping the crew and ship with the main mission/plot.

Books, shoot me an email.

Edited by David Cody

Glad this already exists I was considering asking about playing a hologram till I saw this

Very interesting discussion! :thumbsup:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.