• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dueld taJoot

You can't get there from here: faking stellar cartography or not

What do people use as reference for talking about regions of space? Suppose your character is originally from/going to the X star system, and you want to talk about its relationship to nearby systems. But Memory Alpha and the 118 Wiki only barely acknowledge System X's existence, never mind list its neighbours. Do you consult some real-world stellar cartographic resource (in which case what is it?) Or do you just make it all up and hope nobody notices?

(I did find scans online of that one graphic with the known space of the Federation mapped out in energon cubes, but the versions I found were too low-res and I can't read them. I can also find chunks of space as seen from earth, but of course stars that look adjacent in our sky probably aren't.)

• Like 1

As for making things up I tried to make things up once... I made up a transporter guy without checking if there was one already, and there was. So best to check first, before inventing something that is significant. (But what is significant can be questionable. The captain or XO can distinguish this from that once you are on a ship and things are developing.)

There are other maps out there for the trek universe... it is the trek universe that takes from RL(real life) and it is RL that takes from the trek universe too.

http://www.ditl.org

this site had the little bits that were discussed in various shows and movies and theories of where and when to go from there.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Stellar_cartography

This link might be the best place of canon discussions and such...

{BTW of course we are already there and need not fake it. :) }

You will find that star trek refers to the four quadrants of the galaxy, there are really eight => four above the galaxies plane and four below in normal x,y, and z maps,.. but star trek uses just four; the alpha quadrant, beta quadrant, gamma and delta quadrant's. I am sure you know this. //

Thanks for your help. :) Wikipedia did send me to www.iau.org, which maybe won't necessarily have proximity maps for every star mentioned in Trek canon (and of course its flat images can't show if stars are really close to each other or just look like it), but it's a starting point.

We also have this on our wiki: http://wiki.starbase118.net/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Star_Charts_maps

Click on each image, then click on it again to get the actual image itself. Your browser may show a magnifying glass icon if you can blow it up even further. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Hey, I didn't see the additional replies. Thanks for the very helpful link (for as long as those pages can stay. Anyone know what the book is, if it's still in print?)

"Star Trek Star Charts: The Complete Atlas of Star Trek". Unfortunately, it does not appear to be in print anymore.

• Like 1