• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Star Trek: Into Darkness

http://collider.com/star-trek-2-into-darkness-%C2%ADsynopsis/213764/

Can anybody say Gary Mitchell? :o With Sherlock himself playing the man destined to become a demi God but corrupted by power and hate :o

• Like 1

I don't get how it would be Mitchell if they stick even remotely close to the canon. He had above-average intelligence but was still a good guy and Kirk's friend before they encountered the barrier. If the Enterprise is being called back to Earth because someone turned rogue, seems like they're missing a crucial step for it to be Mitchell.

Here's one thing I've wondered about anything that happens in the new films; how do they adjust for old Spock being there in that time period? He can warn them about all kinds of stuff:

"Hey, if you find the SS Botany Bay... don't let Kahn on the Enterprise! Just tractor beam that sucka."

"We're going to need some whales in these oceans... soon!"

"Oh, and don't try to go to the place beyond the Great Barrier. God's not there."

"Scotty... lay off the snacks."

• Like 1

Ahh. But this new timeline isn't the prime on,just a parallel one where something's are the same,others are different.

True, but the idea here is that everything was the same up until Nero showed up and disrupted time. So if that's the point of change, there's still a lot that should remain untouched. The general causality of most of the events from TOS and the first six movies shouldn't have been affected much.

That is, of course, if we're going to treat it as realistically and literally as possible.

As long as he doesn't make Khan a good guy and turn the Doomsday Machine into anything but the ship killing,planet eating, energy draining monster that it is, I might be inclined to let him off the hook.....

I could just imagine JJ's doomsday machine.. Huge overblown special affect covered with lens flare and rather imposing. I mean, it would make the Narada look like a shuttle tongue.png

Edited by Ensign Alexander Richards

I think JJ is in his touch sensitive "sandbox" of goo and everything he touches changes colors and reacts to his thoughts and sticks to him... as part of the movie. (Dynomite)

what gets my goat is the fact it is called "star trek 2" which it is NOT but is "star trek 12."

I think JJ is in his touch sensitive "sandbox" of goo and everything he touches changes colors and reacts to his thoughts and sticks to him... as part of the movie. (Dynomite)

what gets my goat is the fact it is called "star trek 2" which it is NOT but is "star trek 12."

Yes but it is the second in this series. Anyway who would go and see it if it were labeled Star Trek 12!!!

Ahh. But this new timeline isn't the prime on,just a parallel one where something's are the same,others are different.

True, but the idea here is that everything was the same up until Nero showed up and disrupted time. So if that's the point of change, there's still a lot that should remain untouched. The general causality of most of the events from TOS and the first six movies shouldn't have been affected much.

That is, of course, if we're going to treat it as realistically and literally as possible.

Actually there were quite a few things different before Nero showed up. Kirk's childhood, Spock & Uhura, Spock & Kirk hating each other, with the vast age difference (21 yrs between Scotty & Chekov) in the TOS crew there's no way they would have all been in the Academy at the same time. etc... It was completely different and screwed up timeline. Right up until they revealed that fact, I was saying No way they've screwed cannon. So actually nothing in the primary timeline would be effected at all and hopefully they won't keep jumping timelines.

Personally, I would much rather they create a new group like they were saying they were going to do at one time and leave cannon Trek History alone. Alternate time lines has already been used to death. IMO

So, you can see the first teaser now on Youtube, by the way. Cumberbatch's character talks about returning - I'm putting my money on Khan.

EDIT: The Japanese trailer has what looks to be an awfully familiar scene (spoiler if so) at the end.

Plus I just noticed that it is clear that Cumberbatch's black uniform certainly has that much-reported black Starfleet insignia.

Edited by Ryoma Hoshino
  • Like 1

I should probably add that the main reason I doubt Cumberbatch will play Gary Mitchell is that the story was already played out in the Star Trek Ongoing Comics (http://www.startrekcomics.info/idwstongoing.html) - worth reading if you have the chance.

Hrmmm, if they've gone with Khan... whoops!

That being said, I still don't see enough evidence for it to be Khan.

As for that comic.. doesn't the information have to be on screen or referenced on screen to be canon rule still apply to the Abrams Universe?

Hrm -- don't know about this. I'll reserve judgment until I see it, but I think this comment on YouTube is pretty spot-on:

It's a shame they don't make Star Trek movies anymore. Exploration, encounters withe strange and improbable, and morality at the edge of the universe. The wagon train to the stars that made Gene Rodenberry's Star Trek so meaningful and entertaining has long since been abandoned. Instead all we have? are shiny flashy action movies with spaceships. Take away the names and it's indistinguishable from any other generic action movie.
friartuck000

• Like 1

Hrm -- don't know about this. I'll reserve judgment until I see it, but I think this comment on YouTube is pretty spot-on:

It's a shame they don't make Star Trek movies anymore. Exploration, encounters withe strange and improbable, and morality at the edge of the universe. The wagon train to the stars that made Gene Rodenberry's Star Trek so meaningful and entertaining has long since been abandoned. Instead all we have? are shiny flashy action movies with spaceships. Take away the names and it's indistinguishable from any other generic action movie.

friartuck000

I think you can have both. Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country and First Contact had a good amount of 'action' in them, and personally were amongst my favourites. Insurrection, Final Frontier and Generations did not and lacked a certain ooomph for me imho, but then I am an action adventure junkie. w00t.gifshuriken.gif

Edited by Eyas Wulfantine

Here's what I think, hidden behind a spoiler warning just in case...

Cumberbatch is Gary Mitchell. That TWOK-esque moment where we see Kirk touch his hand to a glass partition and Spock does the same from the other side? It ain't Spock, it's Mitchell and it's from the beginning of the movie. In various parts of the trailer, we see Cumberbatch in science blues. My theory is that in that particular moment, we're seeing not Kirk and Spock, but Kirk and Mitchell, with Kirk sending his old friend presumably to his death. The scene early in the trailer with Kirk presiding over some kind of ceremony, where fighters fly overhead? Mitchell's funeral. Alice Eve, of course, is Dr Elizabeth Dehner.

Edited by Whale

I buy that idea Whale. It seems the most logical explanation at this time smile.png

I should add something about my previous mention of Canon. Although Mr Orci is noted as saying that the comics are canon, I haven't seen a Paramount executive come out and say it's canon.. So I'm still holding my breath.

As a note, if the badguy is Khan and the film does not live up to or exceede the quality of TwoK, i will walk out of the cinema, something I have never done in my life.

As for that comic.. doesn't the information have to be on screen or referenced on screen to be canon rule still apply to the Abrams Universe?

Just as the Countdown comic was in part driven by Abrams and there is some suggestion that it is considered canon at Memory-Alpha, the Ongoing series is also being driven by the introduction to Into Darkness and is, according to Robert Orci at least, considered canon: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/07/straight-from-roberto-orci-current-trek-comics-are-canon (even has a panel of Spock taking out Gary Mitchell).

PS: Just saw your comment on this (the second) page, and yeah, I'm also a little sceptical of the canon vs. non-canon debate, and I wouldn't rule out Gary Mitchell being on the big screen. Either way, I'm looking forward to it - interest from the movies can surely only help the drive for a new show.

The other theory I've heard is that the reason we haven't seen Peter Weller's character (who is supposedly a mentor to Cumberbatch's character) is that we would immediately recognize who he was supposed to be. The theory is that Weller is Khan and Cumberbatch is Joachim... but I don't really buy it. You don't put a character like Khan in a supporting role.

The guy who plays McCoy apparently said, in an interview, that "Cumberbatch's Gary Mitchell..." is really well done or something to that effect, so...