• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

July 2012 Writing Challenge

Tony, aka VAiru

Salutations, wonderful writers and regular readers, and welcome to this special Writing Challenge for the month of July! Please peruse this post with proper prudence, as it contains the guidelines, rules, and other important bits regarding entering your submission, which are a little different than usual for this unique Challenge.

For this month only, we'll be drawing our inspiration from Ongoing Worlds's First Person Fortnight competition. This Challenge will not have a standard theme; instead, all stories must be written as a first person narrative.

To participate in the Challenge, please create a new thread. From the "Topic Prefix" selection list, choose "Jul/Aug" -- don't forget to do this, because without it your story won't be considered for this round! You may denote your story as a "Work in Progress," but please do so at the beginning of the story (not in the thread topic), and remember to finish it before the deadline, as any story noted as a work in progress will not be considered.

The deadline for this challenge is July 21st! That means you have just under three weeks to get your entries in, so begin thinking now! All entries in this Challenge will be judged by our panel in the usual way, but entries will also have the option of entry into Ongoing Worlds's contest. If you'd like to also enter there, please do the following:

After you've posted your entry, post a reply to the entry stating that you plan to enter on your own; that you would only like to enter the 118 Challenge, not the Ongoing Worlds contest; or that you would like your entry entered into the Ongoing Worlds contest for you. Regardless of which of the three options you choose, remember to create a reply to your entry and let us know!

Some standard rules and guidelines apply:

*Your story should not be any longer than 5000 words.

*Your story must be written in first person perspective.

*Your work must be completely original.

*You must be the sole author of the work.

*Your story must take place in the Star Trek universe, but may not center upon canon characters.

*Sign your final draft as you would a post on your ship.

As of today, Monday, July 2nd, this Challenge is open! The very last day to enter is Saturday, July 21st, so submit your entry soon!

For any questions regarding our Challenge, remember that you can always visit the Writing Challenge website. For questions relating to the Ongoing Worlds contest, please see the contest link above, or post a reply to this topic asking your questions.

Good luck!

For Challenges, the format in general is completely up to you. For this one, the only requirement is that it's first person, so you could do regular simming format or some sort of script format or a novel format, or whatever. Perhaps something new entirely? It's up to you!

5000 words approaches 20 pages... you do know that, right? ermm.gif

The word count guideline for this particular competition comes from Ongoing Worlds rather than being our own creation. And to those who are considering entering, you don't have to write 5000 words, that's just the upper limit cap. (But I agree, that's quite a number of words/pages) =)

Yep, and I wouldn't necessarily want to read six dozen twenty-page entries.... But this time, the limit's theirs, and -- hey, just call me the messenger!

Despite the temptation to write 5,000 words... I think I got the right length for this kind of competition. I hope everyone likes the story, but there's sufficient time to fix it if there are problems; if there are typos, missing words, storyboard issues etc... lemme know via PM and I'll fix them ASAP.

And hey Flt. Capt. Mar, long time no see. laugh.png I see you hiding back there!

Edited by Alleran Tan

This Challenge is officially closed! Each entry has also been entered into the Ongoing Worlds contest (unless its author specifically asked that it not be). Results should be out in about a week, so stay tuned!

Completely got my months mixed up and missed the deadline!!

*Kicking self*

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.