• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

What do you want to see in a new Star Trek series?

Jordan aka FltAdmlWolf

• 3 weeks later...

I love the idea of this one. While it is even more darker then what DS9 was it definitely has potential. The idea of potentially re-founding the Federation is quite exciting especially after it is introduced as this tyrannical empire.

Op/ed on Forbes today: How to Reboot Star Trek for Modern TV. I say BLEGH (Section 31?! No thanks.), but glad to see this discussion happening!

Yeah I also have to agree. Three mini series within one season ain't the best way to return Star Trek to tv. I'm also not sure about using the Enterprise -E (or later). At least with another ship or space station there isn't a need to up the ante.

I do like the idea of a half-season show that's very tightly focused. I think we've seen how well it can work on character-focused programs like Downton Abbey and The Walking Dead -- the short time-span forces the writers to eek out everything they can from the medium, and it leaves fans wanting more instead of wondering why the producers wasted a week on an utterly awful episode. Plus, production costs are lower with a shorter run. For a series like Trek, where pretty much everyone over the age of 25 knows the premise, this would be a great way to dive right into it!

I kinda like this take. I could see a series out of it....

http://www.stphoenix.com/

Agreed. Being that I don't really believe in the possibility of a utopian future, at least from a Star Trek concept, I would definitely love to see a grittier Star Trek. I want to see war and disease and planet-wide evacuations. I want to see floating hospitals and refuge colonies. I want to see more hand to hand combat, and I would really love to stop seeing every species in outfits that aren't that varied from one another. How come we've never seen a species that wears tutus with combat boots? JK. It would be nice to see clothing, buildings, etc. that fall more into the lines of what we tend to sim sometimes than what we see on the television or movies.

I would definately like to see more aliens that are alien, not humans with funny ridges stuck on their faces. Different cultures, different ways of living.

I want to see Gorn, similar to what we saw in TOS though, not the Velociraptors from Enterprise. Also, wouldn't like them painted as ridiculous villainous reptiles either. Personally, Arena is one of my favourite episodes because it paints the Enterprise crew (briefly) as villains... it's a type of misunderstanding that you don't get in a lot of other episodes with real aliens because the Universal Translator instantly comes to the rescue. I'll keep this short though, the Gorn have always been one of my favourites ever since I saw Arena was I was about 5 years old (my dad taped every single episode when they originally aired when he was only about 10 years old).

I'd be more than happy to see alien species that were previously touched upon developed to a much greater degree. It adds depth to the Star Trek universe.

I'd be more than happy to see alien species that were previously touched upon developed to a much greater degree. It adds depth to the Star Trek universe.

That's exactly what i want to see with the Gorn. Relatively well-developed military Empire, very un-developed in relation to the Federation. There are a number of other species that would be nice to see developed to a greater degree. I know JJ Abrams said in passing that the Gorn would feature in the upcoming sequel... but I have no idea how true that rumour was. If anyone has more information, I'd be really interested to hear about it.

• 2 months later...

I kinda like this take. I could see a series out of it....

http://www.stphoenix.com/

Agreed. Being that I don't really believe in the possibility of a utopian future, at least from a Star Trek concept, I would definitely love to see a grittier Star Trek. I want to see war and disease and planet-wide evacuations. I want to see floating hospitals and refuge colonies. I want to see more hand to hand combat, and I would really love to stop seeing every species in outfits that aren't that varied from one another. How come we've never seen a species that wears tutus with combat boots? JK. It would be nice to see clothing, buildings, etc. that fall more into the lines of what we tend to sim sometimes than what we see on the television or movies.

While I'd like to see more imaginative costuming, what always appealed to me about Star Trek is that it was the only sci-fi that gave a bright view of the future, one of hope and possiblity of human kind outgrowing its baser nature. As it was, the vision darkened. I'd like to see a series that picked up on the new storyline in the last film, so that it could follow Kirk and the gang through a new timeline.