• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Suggestions for improving 2012 Contest

Jordan aka FltAdmlWolf

I'll again reference back to the idea of having judges do the final round, and perhaps we can add a quarterly run-off or something, so that each quarter we cull down the group of sims to the top two for the quarter, leaving us with eight sims in semi-finals. The member base could vote, leaving the top three to go to the finals, where a panel then decides the winner among those top three? Something like that doesn't require the effort in putting together a panel of judges on a monthly or weekly basis.

I think this is a decent idea, a nice balance between popular vote and judging so that even in the unlikely circumstance that a ballot is 'stuffed', if it's not 'worthy' then it'll be weeded out by the judges.

As for the 'judges won't have time to read all the sims' argument, surely the judges would've read the sims anyway? I'd assume that the judges would volunteer for the post, and thus would be from the active 'pool' of Top Sim contributors?

As for the 'judges won't have time to read all the sims' argument, surely the judges would've read the sims anyway? I'd assume that the judges would volunteer for the post, and thus would be from the active 'pool' of Top Sim contributors?

It's a lot to ask for someone to read every single sim through the the year that comes through this contest. That's why, if we're just expecting any set of judges to read the smaller group sims that have already won a round, it lessens the burden.

I've been reading this thread on and off since it was created. I basically agree with the benefit of the doubt theory. We're an open community and I personally would have no enjoyment in winning something if I knew that it wasn't a just decision. Not only that, I can't really warm up to the idea that our members would be happy with ill-gained praise or victories; its just not the spirit of things round here.

However, a thought came to me; what if the crews of the ships were bound into the process before a sim was even entered? Maybe by choosing which sim(s) is/are to be entered for a particular round?

Further more, what if those more experienced writers of a ship also provided non obligatory 'counsel' concerning the quality of proposed entry? Without intending to disencourage anyone wanting to enter, but constructive criticism is hardly negative. Not only does this help to continually improve the skills of freshman and experienced writers alike, but counters stagnation and assists a gradual improvement of our skills. Personally I know I can sim in the format and style required by SB118, but I also know I could do better. I can only become better through practice and in- and external scrutiny.

In all I think binding crews into the process would help them become aware that an entry had been made and increase the general interest of the contest as a whole. Not only securing an increase in PR, it also lowers the burden of the judges, because 'weaker' entries never even made it. Agreed somewhat ruthless, but it is the 'Top Sim' and not the 'I, the author, think its not too badly written' contest.

Comments?

MFG

• 1 month later...

New rules have been announced in the rules thread. Hopefully this will solve our problem here. For a sim to win the final round, it not only has to go through staff judging at a few semi-final rounds, but it also has to have at least 10% of its votes from members on another ship than the original poster.

I know I'm late, but I joined a week ago and this is the first time I noticed this competition. What nobody mentioned and may actually do lot of good is if you demand explanation from the person who is proposing the sim for top sim to explain why it is worth to be there.

Like - I'm proposing this sim because it has all the main elements good sim must have (some explanation like - good amount of narration over discussion, thoughts that...). Sim is written with telling us why character reacted in a way he did by telling part of the life story (mentioning what in a sim is that - because of the fear from fire he jumped out the shuttle, but later showed huge regret because he didn't go to visit Psychiatric doctor and solve problem plaguing him for decades). Maybe saying a word or two about the character and explaining why the story is so interesting to everyone, so readers can get better picture and better judge the story. Maybe there's old story only few writers remember and this is explaining why the character made decision long ago he did. I as a new member will not know that and the sim will be less interesting to me, but if I know the story I would understand it and see it more valuable.

On the other hand, beside making proposed sims more understandable it may reduce number of entries to really the best. It would also give new writers input into what is valuable to follow and insert into sims.

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.