• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Star Trek Soundtracks

Just a quick topic to pick your collective brains - I've been running an on/off tabletop Star Trek game for a few friends for the last 5 years or so. When we roleplay we often have some relevant background music on the go and for me this has been the Nemesis soundtrack.

Why I bought it I don't really know as it's not particularly good and, apart from a couple of tracks, isn't very atmospheric. So I'm looking to get a new CD to play for my next 'season' and would like to hear the relative pros and cons. I'm tempted by The Wrath of Khan as it has some cracking themes, but might be a bit dated. I'd also like to know if anyone has the soundtrack from the latest Trek movie and if it's any good or not.

I quite like the Abrams Trek soundtrack, but there is really only one track that has a true Trek feel to it (the end credits). It's good, but it has a somewhat generic feel to it.

I'd actually recommend picking up a copy of Star Trek: Voyages if you can find one. It's sometimes hard to find, but it's a fantastic collection -- a double-disc set with tracks from every tv series (except Enterprise) and every movie (except Abrams Trek). Something like 40 tracks total.

I have an "Epic Playlist" for when I play computer games like Warcraft. It includes:

• Battlestar Galactica Season 2 Soundtrack
  • Da Vinci Code Soundtrack
  • Lord of the Rings (Fellowship of the Rings) Soundtrack
  • The Village Soundtrack
  • 300 Soundtrack
  • Eve Online Soundtrack
  • Sins of a Solar Empire Soundtrack

If you have access to a free account of Spotify, you can probably get most of them without paying :)

I have Pandora, with a station built around James Horner and Hanz Zimmer (with some John Williams too). Most of the time it has a steady stream of epic music that tends to be quite motivational for me. There's some Trek (mostly from the new movie) as well as a lot of Titanic, which I love, and The Last of the Mohicans, Vantage Point (love the main theme!) and more.

A while ago I had a CD I think was called Symphonic Star Trek. It provided a lot of great music (the downside being there are also sound effects in there...) but I used to sim to it a lot. =)

Unfortunately as I run at a friends house (he has a whole room for gaming) it's a bit awkward to cart my computer around, even if it is a laptop. Plus he has a bizarre ipod dock that only seems to fit his ipod!

Think I might try the new Star Trek soundtrack and keep my eyes out for Star Trek Voyages.

• 2 months later...

I've several sound tracks. New BSG all seasons,all 6 StarWars, All the trek movies including the Abrams version,last of the Mohicans, Master and Commander, The Last Samurai, Hero,Lord of the Rings Trilogy,and more I can't remember. :-)

I got into soundtracks years ago so I have amassed a great many of them, on LP (yes I have a turntable ) and CD. Some have been "appropriated" over the years, but no one gets in my office now....

• 4 weeks later...

I actually have a Michael Giacchino channel on my Pandora. It picks up music from Trek'09, but also from the Lost TV series which IMHO had the best soundtrack ever for a TV series.