• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FltAdml. Wolf

official "Arrival at StarBase 118" (Introduce your character here!)

The entry doors from the shuttle bays to one of the many admissions areas for the starbase swung open and another group of arrivals swarmed into the area. Several spoke among themselves as the moved toward one of the stations manned by station security. Most seemed to be travelling alone, a suitcase following along behind one, more than one with a duffle slung over a shoulder, the look of a traveler on their face as they dug out the needed ID for the guards.

One of them, a young lady dressed in a one piece Starfleet off-duty uniform, tugged her duffle over her shoulder as she got in line behind a family of Bejorans. On the tall side for a human female, she touched six feet when she stood up straight, she had red hair that skirted just north of the regulations for hair length, it currently was in a loose pony tail that fell done just below her collar. Her body filled out the uniform nicely, the blue of the uniform contrasting with her pale skin.

As she waited in line she thought again about the last five years of her life. The last year of high school, the pace she set for herself as she finished out her career as a baseball player, pitching and playing first base for her school team, the Rocketeers, along with keeping her grades in the top three percent of her class, had been stressful. But nothing compared to the next four years of her life as she went through Starfleet Academy. Had it only been twenty days ago when she’d stood with the rest of her graduating class, listening to the speech given by the Federation President, pride bursting through her as she received her diploma, and then the party afterward. The thought of that party brought a grin to her face.

“ID, Cadet?”

The voice of the security guard snapped Tara out of the past. She focused and realized that the Bajoran family was gone. The security guard who had just spoken was looking at her with a patient look on her fact.

“Sorry, sir,” she replied. She passed him her ID, then shifted the duffel again as he ran his tricorder over the chip.

“Just in from Earth?” he asked as his eyes took in the information presented on the scanner.

“Yes,” she replied. “It’s my first trip out of the solar system.”

He nodded and handed her ID back. “Everything checks out here. You’ve just enough time to check in with the Quartermaster’s office and drop your things off in your quarters. You are due to report to your Cadet Training at 1400 hours.”

She accepted her ID and tucked it away. A glance at the chronometer on the wall showed 1255 hours.

“Thank you,” she replied, then made her way to a public terminal, where she downloaded the public schematics of the station to her padd. A quick search turned up the Quartermaster’s office on this level. Another tap showed her where she was and projected a route on the screen to get her to the office. She headed out, determined to get settled in before she had to report for duty.

Edited by Tara Fillips
  • Like 1

((Starbase 118 Central transporter hub))

:: He materilzed in a flash of whirrling light and stepped off the pad. The stocky Bolain paused glancing around at the busy hub people coming going beaming to various parts of the massive station or to and from starships. ::

Brell: oO Was it the third pad from the right or left. It's been so long since I've been here. Oo

:: After giving up on recalling which pad he needed he took the walk of shame up to the information officer situated behind a terminal in the center of the hub. ::

Information Officer: Can I help you cadet.

Brell: I need to report to the stations academy annex for the last leg of my reenlistment training. I just cant remember the pad I need.

::The information offer tapped the details from Brells statement almost as he was saying it. The man didn't even look up from his console as he spoke. ::

Information Officer: Cadet Brell, Holodeck 3, Acacdemy Annex. Your due to report in by now cadet, pad 324g2 thats two to your right.

Brell: Thank you, sir, oO That was odd, guess when every starry eyed cadet and lost tourist asks you the essentially the same questions I could see someone getting a little jaded. Oo

:: He walked to his right and stepped on the pad he was directed to. In another flash of whirling light the foyer of the academy annex appeared before him. ::

Brell: oO Now this, this I remember well. I wonder what kind of simulation they have in store for us. Oo

Cadet Brell

Science

Unassigned/Cadet Cruise

• Like 1

Avaris Torrin sat at the bar, finally enjoying a moment of peace. His husband, Cadet Artem Dragumov would by now be beginning his final exam, well on his way to achieving his lifelong dream of becoming a Starfleet officer. Avaris did not really know what his dreams were anymore, but having just had the awkward experience of explaining his marriage to the Ferengi waiter (who had, upon recovering from the shock of the idea that two men might be in any sort of relationship together aside from business, had actually, and with no apparent sense of embarrassment, asked which of them 'wore the clothes') his immediate plans were to read over some research notes and enjoy his drink without any more interruption.

He brushed his long dark hair back, revealing a row of Trill markings running from his temple down to his neck, almost black in their darkness and in stark contrast to his pallor, and distractedly sipped his Andorian ale without taking his eyes off his datapad.

He was vaguely aware of the presence of a new patron sitting at the stool next to him, but did not look up from his reading until he heard his name spoken.

"Torrin? What are you doing here?"

He looked up at the woman seating herself next to him. A Trill with firey red hair and a glint of mischief in her eyes.

"Andazira! I can't believe it, you look exactly the same as when I left you!"

The two old friends embraced, patting eachother heartily on the back.

"I never in a thousand years would have thought Id run into you on a Federation station!" She exclaimed, releasing him. "What brings you to Starbase 118?!"

"My husband's exam is in progress. If all goes according to plan, he will be an officer by the end of the week". Avaris sipped his ale keeping his eyes ahead of him, feeling more than a little bit awkward facing an old friend. He had nearly reconciled his beliefs with the reality that he was soon to be living on a federation vessel, but had not yet encountered any old colleagues who understandably might find his new life difficult to accept.

"Avaris Torrin, husband to a starfleet officer, living on a starship.... I never thought I would see the day". She looked like she might continue talking, but the bartender arrived to take her order, momentarily sparing them both from the discomfort of this encounter. She ordered something green and fizzy, and turned back to Avaris, eyes narrowed and a serious expression on her face.

"So, Torrin, are you still in touch with anybody from back in the day?"

Avaris eyes darted about the bar. She was being careful to couch her words in vagueness, but his paranoia was unyielding.

"Not really, most of the old crew are ... unhappy with the choices I have made".

"I dont doubt it" she replied, and paused to sip on her drink. "So, what will you do on a Federation starship professor Torrin?"

"I am hoping to have a chance to do some research, and maybe if Artem is assigned to a large enough ship I could teach. I miss teaching, even if it was young children I think it would be good for me to get back into it"

"Well, I cant say I understand, but I hope you are happy. Now if you will excuse me, I have some business to attend to" she finished her drink quickly and stood up.

"I never asked you Andazira, what brings yourself to a Federation starbase?"

She smiled, but there was sadness in her eyes.

"I dont think you want to know Avaris. And even if you did, you must understand that your ... choices as you call them... change things. I hope you are happy though, and I wish you well"

She nodded courteously, and very quickly and subtly made a gesture to him, a sort of salute, with her hand over her heart, and only her index finger raised. It was called the Sign of One. Avaris had no reason to believe anybody in this bar would recognize its significance, but panic showed on his face anyways. She clearly noticed his expression of concern at her gesture, as her own expression saddened even further. Without another word she left him alone.

Avaris Torrin did not know if he was making compromises he could live with, did not know that he could ever be excited about life in Starfleet, or that he could live with his unofficial exile from his oldest and most trusted companions. But he did not wish to dwell on any of that now. His immediate plan was to enjoy a quiet drink and read over his research. Perhaps now he could manage it with no further interruptions.

• Like 2

The young human woman, Kalyn Grippen, looking wide-eyed at the Starbase 118 disembarking station, was just off the transport and had never been on a starbase before.

"It's quite something, isn't it?", one of her travel companions said, looking amused at Kalyn's staring.

"It's so beautiful!" she cried. "I've not seen anything like it before!"

Short, compact, lithe, and bespectacled, Kalyn took it all in: the sights, the smells, the sounds -- all of it quite marvelous for a girl from the Lake Armstrong area on Luna.

Feeling a bit hungry, Kalyn went in search of a commissary. The crowd seemed to surge with her as she wandered into the commercial section of the starbase. She found a small café and settled down for a coffee and a chicken salad sandwich she requested from the replicator.

Kalyn closed her eyes, taking in all the sounds and smells around her, and sighed contentedly. She wasn't so eager to jump right in to her cruise and wanted some more time to get to know the starbase better, but imagined she would have some time.

Suddenly, she was started to hear someone shout "CADET!" nearby and her eyes flew open.

"SIR!", she cried as she saw an officer staring down at her.

"Cadet, you look as though you are off in dream-land! This is no way to start your tour." said the officer.

"No, sir!", Kalyn responded, standing up at attention.

"Keep your eyes open, cadet. There are things all around you that you need to understand."

"Yes, sir." replied Kalyn.

"Back to your meal, cadet, then hustle down to the holodeck for your briefing."

Kalyn sat back down after the officer left and finished the sandwich quickly. Wiping off all the crumbs and disposing of the remainder in the replicator bin, she picked up her kit and trotted off to the holodeck.

• Like 2

::Leland Bishop stepped off of the turbolift and into Starbase 118, his home for the next four years. Before joining the throng of people rushing past, he took a moment to adjust his collar and check the seam of his slacks. Pride was not normally a luxury he afforded himself, but he had to admit that a Starfleet uniform suited him well; his tall, angular frame was better equipped for the clean lines of a Cadet's uniform than it ever had been for the series of baggy hand-me-downs he had worn most of his life. ::

::Indeed today was a day for a great many emotions that Leland was uncomfortable with. Nervousness for one. Observing the other cadets rushing past, he had a sudden and uncharachteristic flash of inadequacy. Obviously he had excelled in school prior to this point... But so had every other eager young person on this base. He was struck by just how big a fish he had been... And in what a small pond.::

::Starbase 118 was everything Brooklyn was not. It was (above all other things to his mind) astonishingly clean. This was of course to be expected, but he had no idea the scope of such a fastidious dedication to sterility. It was a wonder that such facilities even bothered with a sick bay... From the looks of it, major surgery could happily be performed right here in the main thouroughfare. Though Leland had fought against the clutter, dirt, and various pungent smells of New York his entire young life, it had been a losing battle. The city always won in the long term. The vast press of humanity

could never be avoided for long.::

::Starfleet by contrast, seemed to strive mightily to put on a good front for the human race. Every shining corridor seemed to scream out: “See this, civilized species of the world? We're just like you! Never mind all those times we nearly obliterated ourselves in global conflict! Never mind our history of intolerance and violence! We're all better now... AND WE'RE READY TO LEAD YOU.” It would be more amusing if it hadn't been so frighteningly effective. A con job that Leland was even now going into training to perpetuate.::

::This was alright with Leland, of course. He'd dreamed of joining the Diplomatic Corps for as long as he could remember. To be able to shape policy on a galactic scale, to finally have some control... The very structure and control that had been absent in his life since the age of five. When his whole world was taken apart. Starfleet was “a lie agreed upon” writ large across the stars. But Leland knew from experience that lies provided comfort. And if you just believed hard enough, sometimes those lies became the truth and propped you up. The lies the United Federation of Planets told itself and others weren't all that different than the lies a five year old boy told himself. They provided comfort. They provided a shield.::

• Like 3

Cadet First Class Cole Stoyer stepped of the transporter pad to the “The Promenade”. With a couple of hours to before reporting to the academy and getting started, he decided to walk along and remember the good times he had here when U.S.S. Shiloh docked and the crew was put on liberty.

Thinking about the journey that brought him to his cadet cruise. The shuttle bay fire that and his actions that helped get the promotion are always in his thoughts. The request for admission to the academy was quickly approved and the transfer granted. The thought of being a Division Officer on a starship will be a great adventure.

Cole never gave any thought of a career in Starfleet when he enlisted as a Boatswain’s Mate. But he found that he enjoyed the work and looked forward to being a ship’s Bos’un one day, a Chief Warrant Officer Four. Now only a couple of hours from starting at the academy and becoming an officer, his thoughts turn the academic parts that worry him. The leadership and decision making aspect of the academy will come easy to an experienced Petty Officer like him.

A dinner at the “The Salty Dawg”, Cole saw some former shipmates and spoke about old times and sea stories. They congratulated him on the appointment. Of course some jokes about the abilities of Ensigns, but that is expected from senior enlisted.

Cole heads to the academy with a full stomach and a clear mind, looking forward to this.

Edited by Cole Stoyer
  • Like 2

Doctor T'Brei arrival at Starbase 118.

::T'Brei made her way from the base transport and stepped onto the marbled courtyard of the domed habitat and commerical realm of Starbase 118. She looked around the shops, walking into a clothier she looked at the gowns. She needed a white gown for a social ball that Admiral Bentran had invited her to. It was his annual Black and White ball, and only a few select persons were invited. T'Brei, was invited because of her Ambassador parents, and the fact that she was still the official Aid to Ambassador Sevot for two more weeks, then after she completed training at Starbase 118, she would move on to her next assignment. ::

T'Brei: "I will take this white gown, please send it to my quarters here is my quarters assignment."
::Ner nodded to T'Brei and prepared the gown and shoes matching handbag and other accessories for transport to the Vulcan's quarters.::
::T'Brei departed the clothier and made her way to a florist, she looked around the shop and placed an order via the florist PADD for three dozen yellow roses to be delivered to Admiral Bentran's quarters on the starbase. She departed the florist and walked along the promenade slowly, looking at the sites, she found a resturant and entered. As the host approached and motioned to her. T'Brei made her way to a table and sat down.::
Lovel: May I take your order?
T'Brei: I shall have Vulcan mint tea with a garden salad.
Lovel: Very good!
::Moving quickly to the kitchen hub Lovel placed T'Brei's order and then moved onwards to other customers.::
::T'Brei looked around the resturant and noted many cadets and doctors also arriving for final classes before release to duty stations.::
::The waiter brought the tea and salad, placing the tray on T'Brei's table. Then walking away to more work.::
::T'Brei drank the tea, and listened to the music playing in the place. She picked up a fork and sampled the salad. Not very hungry, she placed the fork down and picked up the tea cup. Sipping it she let the flavor roll on her tongue and slide down her throat. She closed her eyes and meditated for a few seconds, then opened her eyes and picked up her PADD. She sat reading for an hour.::
  • Like 1

The view was spectacular. It had been ten long years since Heath had last laid eyes on Starbase 118. He sighed. Ten long years since he had last dawned the Starfleet insignia in fact. But he was back now, older, more experienced, and hopefully more the wiser. A slight grin crossed his face as he gazed out the port window. He had pulled some favors with old friends that still remained on board and got the required clearance for his transport shuttle to do a flyby before docking. He had thought that time would have diminished the glimmer the Starbase had had. It was still as brilliant as it was first time he had seen it fresh out of the Academy. He knew this is where he belonged.

Why had he ever resigned his commission he wondered as the shuttle glided into the docking bay? Shaking his head in disappointment he let the thought pass. He knew why he had left and he knew that it hadn't been for the right reasons. But that was the past; he could only look forward now. As the docking procedures finalized Heath gathered his belongings and made his way to the airlock.

The doors hissed open and the cool air from the starbase rushed in as if to welcome him back home.

“Heath!” A familiar but long since heard voice shouted from edge of the intake area.

“Daniel!”

Heath paused for a moment to look over his old friend as Daniel waved the intake officer away.

“It’s been too long old friend.”

“Indeed it has.”

A playful scowl crossed his face

“And that’s Lt. Jaimeson, Cadet!”

Jaimeson chuckled. The years hadn’t changed him one bit. Heath had gathered that shortly after his resignation Jaimeson had requested a transfer to the Starbase to pursue his career in a more “stable environment.” He respected him for that, life aboard a starship wasn’t for everyone.

Shall we? I want to show you the temporary quarters you’ll be staying in until your final exam is complete. And then….

Lt. Jameson grinned

“Drinks at ten forward so I can catch up on all of your adventures!”

• Like 1

The view was spectacular. It had been ten long years since Heath had last laid eyes on Starbase 118. He sighed. Ten long years since he had last dawned the Starfleet insignia in fact. But he was back now, older, more experienced, and hopefully more the wiser. A slight grin crossed his face as he gazed out the port window. He had pulled some favors with old friends that still remained on board and got the required clearance for his transport shuttle to do a flyby before docking. He had thought that time would have diminished the glimmer the Starbase had had. It was still as brilliant as it was first time he had seen it fresh out of the Academy. He knew this is where he belonged.

Why had he ever resigned his commission he wondered as the shuttle glided into the docking bay? Shaking his head in disappointment he let the thought pass. He knew why he had left and he knew that it hadn't been for the right reasons. But that was the past; he could only look forward now. As the docking procedures finalized Heath gathered his belongings and made his way to the airlock.

The doors hissed open and the cool air from the starbase rushed in as if to welcome him back home.

“Heath!” A familiar but long since heard voice shouted from edge of the intake area.

“Daniel!”

Heath paused for a moment to look over his old friend as Daniel waved the intake officer away.

“It’s been too long old friend.”

“Indeed it has.”

A playful scowl crossed his face

“And that’s Lt. Jaimeson, Cadet!”

Jaimeson chuckled. The years hadn’t changed him one bit. Heath had gathered that shortly after his resignation Jaimeson had requested a transfer to the Starbase to pursue his career in a more “stable environment.” He respected him for that, life aboard a starship wasn’t for everyone.

Shall we? I want to show you the temporary quarters you’ll be staying in until your final exam is complete. And then….

Lt. Jameson grinned

“Drinks at ten forward so I can catch up on all of your adventures!”

Very nice post! Welcome

The shuttle bay doors slid open and Vi Greaves stepped out, squinting against the bright lights. She hiked her bag higher onto her shoulder and followed the line of eager recruits down the hall and towards check in. As she passed a series of large windows, her path diverted. She'd only ever looked up at space with her feet planted firmly on her planet. Of course she was no stranger to simulations, but there was something quite different about actually peering out into the great expanse of it all. She swooned for a moment, placing a hand on the wall for support.

“You alright there, Greaves?” Another cadet asked her. She knew him by his last name, Greene. They'd only met a handful of times.

Vi nodded. “Fine fine. Just a bit overwhelmed I think.” She smiled and smoothed her dark hair back. For the purposes of appearing professional, she kept the mess of black tangles in a bun. “We've only been here a couple minutes and I already miss my apartment and my cat...”

Cadet Greene laughed. “Come on,” he told her. “We don't have time to dawdle.”

Vi pushed herself back from the wall and fell back into step with the other new arrivals. At only 5'5'', she had a rough time seeing over the sea of heads. When it came to be her turn, she presented her identification to the officer.

“Viktoria Greaves. Race, human. Sex, female. Eye color, green. Hair color, black. Weight, 103 lbs. Division, unassigned sciences.” the officer droned on, obviously bored. “Everything looks good. Two hours to report to holodeck. Next!”

Vi was nearly pushed forward as she tried to jam her papers back into her pocket. She moved out of the way while she contemplated what to do with her two free hours. She considered trying to find her quarters but she didn't trust herself not to get lost almost as much as she didn't trust her ability to use the StarBase computer pads to get unlost.

“Let's get our uniforms,” Greene suggested as he approached her, tucking his registration information back into his bag.

“I haven't been assigned to a specific sciences department yet,” Vi shrugged. She had a strong background in biology, chemistry and anatomy but she hadn't yet been told where she'd be assigned.

“They'll give you a generic set for now,” Greene explained.

“Alright but after that I really need a drink,” Vi laughed and set off to follow him.

“Sure. If you really think it's a good idea to throw up on the holodeck. Half the Academy knows about your weak stomach, Vi.” he warned with a smile. She groaned. It was only one time during simulated dematerialization which she doubted she'd ever get used to.

“Shut up, Greene,” she socked him playfully in the shoulder and shook her head.

• Like 2

:: As the shuttle from Earth disembarked, the chatter rose a bit in the shuttle. To most of them, Starbase 118 was a brand new location One of the shuttle members gently brushed some white hair out of her pale blue eyes, tucking it behind her ears. It was a pretty location.. but her old ship had delivered in this sector before, and it wasn't entirely new to her. Still, it was a pretty impressive feat of engineering. Letting herself get lost a bit in the crowd of people leaving, she headed towards processing. ::

:: Walking out, and towards the Commercial District, she briefly considered taking a bit of a rest.. but in the end, opted to just wait a bit on of the booths in the park there. After all, she couldn't be sure that her mother was on station on a supply run. Her ship did have contracts in this sector. Besides, maybe she should focus on the upcoming cadet cruise. It may be in the holodeck, but it was her chance to prove that she could apply the lessons of a classroom to real life. ::

::.oO(One thing at a time. Focus on the immediate task and it'll turn out fine.)Oo she reminded herself. After all, she had made it this far. She had survived a murderous attack. Surely this couldn't be that much more difficult.::

Cadet Ceciri Ariadust.

• Like 1

Guest Kody Cookenmaster

Finally! I've been waiting forever to get assigned somewhere. Even though I've been assigned to a Starbase instead of a ship, I'm very happy to finally be in service. I walk to the mirror in my new quarters, and fix the small beard I'd been trying to grow for a while. Just like my beard, my body seemed to be slow in growth too, and for years I'd been called "baby face" and "short stack". I was hoping that this would end by now. Guess I was wrong. After finishing personal grooming, I grabbed my jacket and left. Where would I head? I don't know. Maybe I would go to the mess hall, as I could use the company. On my way down, I met a really cute Vulcan named T'Pek.

"How has your stay been?" I ask her, forgetting for a moment that she was Vulcan.

"It has been...acceptable." She paused for a moment, before remembering that she was talking to a human. "What about yourself?"

I smiled at her. Maybe yet she would learn. "I'm great! I'm so excited to finally have a posting. Where were you assigned?"

She looked at some papers she held in her hands, and responded, "Engineering". This was perfect! I too had been assigned to engineering. I was surprised when we ate together at the mess hall, and she even invited me to a Vulcan logic training session. That might not sound fun, but to a Vulcan, it is a high honor to be invited. "Kody," I told myself, "you've done a great job for your first day."

I headed back to my quarters, and took a shower. Or, a "sonic shower". Personally, I liked the feeling of water running down my back, but this would have to do. As I got ready for bed, I couldn't stop thinking about T'Pek. Oh, boy. What have I gotten myself into?

Antoinette was packing those few things she must have with her on a ship she will be posted on when her father entered the room. "Toni. Lupo." He accentuated each word and it meant daddy Dragon is serious. "You must write home. Is that clear, child?"

"Yes father, I will write home as often as possible." Doors opened again and on them appeared small redhead. "Antoinette DiSalvo Nel Lupo." That was mama Dragon, only woman in the whole universe, who could subdue daddy Dragon. When she called somebody full name it meant business and the time stopped so she can finish her sentence. So did now and the silence you could cut with a blunt knife was interrupted only by the old clock in the corridor. "You will write every month or I will come to hear the update about your travels and missions, is that clear?"

"Yes Mother."

"YES WHAT?"

"Yes mother, I will write regularly, at least once a month with updtes on my travels and missions." This two were main reason Toni joined Starfleet. They were not bad parents, but it was hard living with them. Packing last few pieces, Antoinette kissed her parents and twin sister and went to beam out point.

Several days later, Toni was watching huge station moving closer and closer and getting bigger and bigger until it covered the view. Toni picked her backpack and followed the rest of Cadets to the final exam.
  • Like 1

Jack lifted his bag off the transporter deck and slowly stepped down the ramp. He quietly nodded at the flight chief and quickly made his way out into the main complex. Jack was immediately taken aback by the sheer size of the starbase. The amount of people was nothing new to him. After all, the academy wasn't much of a small place either. But he had never really gotten used to it. Although Jack wasn't much of a home body, he still wasn't fantastic at making friends. If it were up to him, he'd explore this whole galaxy by himself. It wasn't that he didn't like people, he just wasn't good with them. Jack closed his eyes and thought about home. He thought about the sand and the ocean. Jack felt something slam into his shoulder. "Cmon buddy! Move it!"

Jack looked down at the bald man trying to shove past him. The man wasn't short. Jack was just taller than most. Jack took a step back.

"Sure. Sorry." said Jack as politely as he could muster.

"Stupid Starfleet. Dumb cadets clogging up the system." the man grumbled as he stormed off.

Jack took a deep breath. He clenched his fists and resisted the urge to follow the man. He thought about his father. He always used to tell Jack, "Work hard, keep your head down, and don't let them get to you." Jack opened his eyes and looked at the massive complex around him. He smiled, picked up his bag, and walked down the corridor.

Jack passed through the crowded commercial sector on his way to the docks. The lights and crowds of the shops were overwhelming. Jack tried to walk through as quickly as he could, every once and a while getting checked or pushed and having to stop and calm himself.

When he got to the docking bays he realized he was considerably early. Rather than risk himself in the crowds trying to find something to do, Jack pulled his PADD out of his bag and began reading the ship specs for what seemed like the hundredth time. His nervousness made it hard to read. But he did anyway. He wasn't going to risk throwing away the oppritunity of a lifetime.

• Like 1

The Andorian sat on the bench outside of the entrance to the holodeck where her final exam was supposed to be happening. She tapped on her PADD to double check the time. “Too early.”, she bit her lower lip as she looked both ways along the corridor. If only someone else was here to talk to, she frowned slightly and caught herself staring at a bajoran girl nervously staring back at her. Liani covered her mouth and was about to apologize when the girl was whisked off with a pair of adults- maybe her parents- Liani never really quite understood how it worked out with binary partnerships. Her thoughts traveled back to her own parents- Uthulur always stern and straightforward, Kreleth the optimist, Po silent and kind, and Whis grouchy and loveable. To only have two parents seemed such an odd and alien thing to her. Still, she came to Starfleet to learn about other species and their societies, not judge the idiosyncrasies of other cultures.

Lost in thoughts she barely noticed the officer entering the holodeck- “Finally.” She stood up and slipped her pad into her satchel, taking a moment to calm herself and keep wrangle her antenna under control she entered to holodeck.

Guest 10010

The transport ship "fRResghk" decloaked just within Starbase 118's visual sensors. A Klingon vessel dropping off two starfleet medical cadets who have spent five years studing the Boctorion Virus, a potential plague that has been down graded to a curable infestation.

"Our gratitude is most...." One Zero started. "...appreciated. Starfleet Medical and the Federation ..." Zero One Zero continued. "Could not have been.." "More satisfied with our findings"

The two lavender skinned Bynars said their goodbyes and headed towards the main ring. Purchases were a top priority, finally a medical posting on a starship.

10 & 010 were commonly known as "Tenowono" addressing them as one being... it was a nick name they picked up at Starfleet Medical.

Garret stepped onto the station for the first time, smiling as he remembered a line from an old book he once read "Step forward neither boldly nor timidly" It had said. He felt around his uniform for the PADD that held his first set of orders, and most important, where to arrive at for his cadet voyage. Suddenly his smile dropped, as he remembered the backpack that he'd stowed above him on the shuttle, he turned around to see the shuttlecraft departing, "Emperor preserve me........" (Equivelant to god help me, but favored by those of the Imperial Cult,A farely obscure religion not well known outside his home planet)he mumbled, as he sat down on a nearby bench, head falling into his hands as he sighed in despair at his own carelessnes. Station workers and fellow cadets passed him, eventually he got up, and with some effort, managed to find his way to the Personnel officer's office. After a brief wait, though what seemed to him to be a lifetime he was invited inside, at the desk stood a rather stern faced individual "Cadet Faulkner? You had some form of issue?" He asked, glancing up from the computer he was viewing. "I...Yes...Yes Sir i....lost...my transfer orders......." He stuttered, unable to hold the Personnel officers gaze. The aforementioned officer rubbed his nose as he felt a headache coming on "You're kidding me right? your first orders and you loose them!?" He almost shouted. "N-No Sir! Ofcourse not" Garret quickly answered holding up his hands as if to ward off an attack. "Fine...I'll find out which ship managed to 'acquire' your services" He said, waving dismissively, he stressed the word, making it seem alot more negative. Relieved Garret walked out of the office, Unsure where to go now, already feeling ship's captain berating him about his forgetfulness.

Edited by Chris12225
  • Like 1

Starbase 118

Stepping off the transporter dais, the tall imposing Brikar wearing the uniform of a Academy Cadet was soon approached by a young petite ensign with extremely pale skin and honey-red hair. She had been lost multitasking on her PADD, far too engrossed to realize who or what she had approached until she stopped right in front of him and looked up. She kept looking up, her startling green eyes widening a bit as her head craned up to look at his face. She saw a head that seemed to have been carved from a block of stone; a domed skull with a thick pronounced brow, a pair of all black eyes, and two vertical slits for a nose and a simple slit for a mouth. His face was inscrutable and reflected nothing of what he was feeling or thinking. He was looking down at her, calmly and silently.

“…and I’m going to need yo…Oh!” the ensign gasped, taking a backward step. She recovered quickly and smiled, not wanting to offend what she now recognized as a Brikar. “I need your orders, Cadet.”

The Brikar lifted a chip held within two of his three fingers, one of which served as a thumb. The chip look ridiculously tiny compared to the large digits. The ensign took it, scanned it and handed it back. “Cadet Tul Gidon, you’re orders have been confirmed,” she offered with a warm smile. “Welcome to Starbase 118. Have you been here before?”

“No.” His voice was deep, gravelly. It sounded like two stones grinding against each other.

“Oh, well then…I’ve updated your orders and you will find your assigned quarters and location. Your first class is tomorrow at oh-seven-hundred hours, so between now and then would be an excellent opportunity to get to know what is what and where on this star base and what it has to offer. I would suggest however that you first familiarize yourself with the orientation packet included with your upgrade. I wish you well on your endeavors, cadet.” And with that, she was onto the next visitor.

Tul Gidon was his birth name, but for most of his life, he had been called ‘Brick.’ He understood nicknames to be an affection of Terrans and endured it with the quiet self-effacing stoicism representative of his race. He slowly, ponderously, walked out onto the main concourse that was the commercial sector. It was a hive of activity, of people and throngs of people all going about their way. Quite a few took a second glance at the Brikar walking amongst them. How could they not miss him? He stood at six foot eight inches, a tall thing that looked as if chiseled out of stone, a crude statue with life breathed into it by a callous god. Yet unlike most Brikars, he had not grown up with the heavy gravity of his home planet. He was not squat and huge of chest and torso. He was heavy, yes, and broad in the shoulders and possessed a barrel chest. He weighed at just a tick under 400 pounds, yet he walked with a hidden grace that belied his dense weight and lurching stride.

Unlike most Brikars, Brick had a insatiable curiosity and a desire to expand his paradigm of the universe. Starbase 118, with its throngs of people of different species and the cacophony of noises, should have been a sensory overload for the typical dour and taciturn Brikar, but not Brick. As he walked among the throngs, usually a head or more above the tallest around, his head swiveled on his thick neck like the turret of a tank, his small dark eyes taking in everything. Shops held items of wondrous interest to Brick and he would spend quite some time patiently listening to the vendors extolling the wonders of their product, the stony impassive face rapt with attention. The air was full of polyglot words and inflections, a Babylon of galactic speech that held his ear.

After several hours of wondering the commercial sector, Brick soon found himself sitting on the ledge of a circular water fountain, oblivious to the spectacular spray of lighted water behind him. In one hand, dwarfed by the size of his stony digits, was a ice cream cone. As he took a moment to lick the pistachio flavored ice cream, Brick began to wonder what tomorrow had to offer.

Another lick and all such ideas of training disappeared.

He was getting another cone.

Cadet Tul Gidon

Edited by Tul Gidon
  • Like 3

Li Qiuhui alighted at Starbase 118 with a faint smile on her lips and a spring to her step.

The 2-weeks leave, spent with her family in Xi'an had left her recharged and looking forward to her cadet cruise, even though the idea that a part of her life was coming to an end was still intimidating, when she allowed herself to dwell on it.

Qiuhui located the nearest computer terminal and scanned in the codes on her orders.

<Welcome, cadet Li> the artificial voice was a smooth contralto, in fact it sounded exacly like the Academy's voice.Standard Fleet issue, then? Possibly the same in every Fleet installation to engender a sense of familiarity in newly-assigned people? The voice cut short her train of thought.

<Your arrival has been registered, the location and time of your pre-cruise briefing has been transmitted to your PADD. Have a pleasant stay, cadet Li, 祝你成功!>

Musing on the incongruity of a computer wishing her success, the svelte, black-haired woman took out her PADD: her transport had been on time and she still had a few hours before the briefing. Exploration of the base was a tempting option, but she had been known to lose track of time wandering through the streets of a new place and that would definitely not do today.

She called up the map of the base checking for the location of the holodeck and any promising places on the most direct route to it, then, adjusting the strap of her duffel bag, she went on her way.

Cadet Li Qiuhui

Edited by Li Qiuhui
  • Like 1

Stepping off the transport, Kenshin took a deep breath as he took in the air of the station. Compared to the places he has been, this was "fresh" air. Federation places always keep the air pretty sterile clean. He closed his eyes for a moment to get "into character". He straighten his uniform a bit before taking another step.

Alright alright, remember...your name is Kenshin not Frank. Act like you're younger too, a young cadet who doesn't know much about the universe. He said to himself,

His appearance really betrayed his age. He looked 10 years younger than he should be but to him, that's an advantage. He pulled out his PADD from his backpack to register into the Starbase, His PADD pulled out almost like a scroll with a clear see through screen. The local network acknowledged his log in ID and synced to his location. He scrolled through the instructions and sighed a bit. At least he was early.

"Looks like I've got a few hours...to do what?" He walked around a bit before eying a fellow cadet. "Well hello beautiful..."

The fellow cadet, had long black hair, pretty eyes and soft features. Asian as he can tell for the most part, probably more pure human that he is.

He decided that walking around the base alone would be a waste but a worse waste is letting a pretty girl wander around alone as well. So, without a pause, he walked over to Li Qiuhui to introduce himself, taking another deep breath for confidence and fixing his hair.

"Hi there." He started, "You just got here, too?"

He put on his best face with a smile.

Cadet Kenshin Harlock

Edited by Harlock

Meressa sat at one of the base's many cafe's looking out at the hustle and bustle of the promenade. She couldn't take stop looking at her new uniform. Tired of fighting with her long brunette hair, she pulled her hair up into a pony tail, revealing her rank insignia, and the elaborate earring on her right ear. Her finger nervously fidgeted with the earring, a habit she had when she felt homesick. Right now Bajor was feeling a long way away.

An Ensign with base operations approached Meressa's table with a PADD.

"Cadet Kala, you have orders to report to sickbay for your new assignment physical tomorrow morning at 0930. Understood?"

"Yes sir, thank you," she said as she took the offered PADD from the ensign.

It was a simple order, but Meressa read it backwards and forwards, looking for any clue as to her new assignment. She knew it was down to counseling, her first choice, or a science officer. But it was just a simple order, and no amount of rereading was going to give her anything new. She would just have to wait to find out.

Meressa took a sip of her Jumja tea, and went back to people watching on the promenade.

Guest MARK GODDARD

Mark Goddard was a dark haired man of 27 years and in good shape. Feeling a little unsure he thought that maybe he was too old to start a career in Star Fleet. He had been a bit of a loaner most of his life growing up in New Detroit on earth but wanted to fit in and be a part of something bigger than himself. He had felt lost Always feeling a little unsure of himself he thought "Geez I will likly be the "Old Man" in the academy class with all these young kids coming in".

Although he was excited about the prospect of finally getting to the acedemy, he had slept most of the way to Starbase 118. After his two sisters were killed in a traffic accident he had felt alone and without direction. He knew that this was his last chance to "make it out of the city". Being a young white kid from Detroit, or NEW DETROIT as it had come to be known was something that had given him street smarts. He always grinned when he heard the term "New Detroit" . He thought back to stories his dad and his grand dad, both cops in Detroit had told him about being a cop in the transition ere as it was called. More or less "transitioning" one set of corruption for a new set. When he boarded the transport ship and the heavy door closed behind him he thought to him self, "there is nothing here for me any more" and maybe jst maybe this will be "My Transition".

As the transport ship raised into into the air above the city he looked down at his "Home" ..... he grinned, Funny how New Detroit appeared to be pretty much the same as "Old Detroit". He leaned his head against the window to the transport and closed his eyes. The next thing he heard was the voice of the intercom, "Welcoming him to Star Base 118" ... with a deep breath he got to his feet grabbed his gear as the pressure door to Star Base 118 opened he stepped forward, well "Well old man" he thought to himself...... the adventure is about to begin"

Guest Quinn Friedl

The shuttle hatch opened, and Randal Shayne stepped aboard the massive station hesitantly. The hanger deck was filled with small craft and people moving back and forth. The air had a slight scent of ozone to it, and the sounds of machinery and intermingling voices created a cacophony that almost overwhelmed his sensitive hearing.
Pushing his dark brown bangs out of his eyes, Shayne began to wander around the bay, taking in the sights. He almost forgot about the gut-wrenching nervousness he felt. Then he saw someone in an official Starfleet uniform, and his fear returned.
Shayne, despite his size, was a gentle person, for the most part. His shoulder blade-length hair was smoothly bound in a ponytail, and his slightly chubby face conveyed a sense of kindness and knowledge.
And at this moment he was trying desperately to not vomit in the hanger deck.
"This is what you wanted. You'd never be satisfied anywhere else", he thought to himself.
Suddenly a massive bay door opened, revealing empty space, with only a force field protecting the occupants of the bay from sudden decompression. A shuttle was departing the base. As Shayne looked on, he felt an absurd comfort in the stars and inky blackness. This is where I belong, he said to himself contently.
He was ready.

Alir Qasos hands shaked as the shuttle approached the station. He was nervous, as always. It had been on year since he left his sweet home at the caves of Mak´ala. The counselor said that first joints usually have chronically fright. But the counselor saying that definitely didn´t make it better. "It is like when a child is born," he had told Qaso, "they will always cry."

The Person Qaso joined was a young man named Alir. He had blue eyes, a pale skin and black hair. He was, in all belongings, very normal. Alir was studying at Starfleet Academy when he decided that he wanted to become a host. Qaso was quiet satisfied with him. He had a good health, which was always good. He was a midfielder on the fields of brightness. His experience definitely supported Qaso, at least more than the academy counselor.

"Okay, so you will all get your assignments in 3 Hours" said the cadet instructor. "We will met at holodeck 42 than." The cadet group quickly decayed. Qaso decided that it was time to walk around the station a little bit.

Garret was walking down the hallway to his new quarters. He was feeling tired so he was overjoyed of the prospect of a warm and comfy bed. This was his first day in the academy and he would be lying if he said that it wasn't tiring. At first Garret was excited, he was finally starting his starfleet career oh the what's not to be excited about? Of course he was nervous as well, Garret knew that many better cadets had not succeeded so it would not be an easy path.

As he reached his new quarters he found a quite big and furnished room. While he would have liked to explore the room a bit more he could not concentrate properly so he decided the best course of action would be to lie down on the bed, which he promptly did. He closed his eyes and went through what happened earlier in the day, it was a good memory exercise.

The first few hours were a blur, Garret and the other cadets were divided into groups. Prep squads as they were called, to help the cadets get used to the harsh life of a starfleet officer. They assigned a drill master and the cadets introduced themselves to each other. All of that was fine to Garret and kind of expected, what he wasn't expecting that training would begin as soon as the introductions ended. They were led to simulators where some physical and group training took place, it was rather exhausting. At the end of the day the cadets were given their own PADDs, with that they were dismissed and ordered to report to duty on the next day at 0600.

In the middle of his train of thought Garret heard a door sliding, he guessed that it was his new roommate.

"Training?"

The roommate said in a bemused tone. Garret thought about answering but just settled for a nod, he would do his introductions on the next day, when, hopefully, he would feel more sociable.

"Same here"

The roommate answered before going to his side of the room and lying down. Garret was too tired to pay any attention to him so he just closed his eyes and fell asleep.

• Like 1