June 15 is the 25th anniversary of our community's founding in 1994.
Join our celebratory thread to tell us what you love about our community, what you've learned as a member, or what keeps you here!¬†ūüéČūüéä

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FltAdml. Wolf

official "Arrival at StarBase 118" (Introduce your character here!)

Okas Aria, a 22 Bajoran woman, beamed aboard, excited to finally be out on her own.  Aria is the first of her family to leave Bajor and made the controversial decision to join Starfleet instead of the Bajoran militia, something her mother is still not happy about.

Looking around the docking bay she smiles, feeling the electric air and takes a long look at all of the people bustling about, wondering where they are all going. Her eyes finally fell on a middle aged human man in gold uniform, holding a padd, and directing traffic of everyone off the ship.

"I'm Ensign Okas, Sir," she said introducing herself, "can you dir--"

"Ensign, I don't have time for this, if you need help, ask the computer" the man said and scurried off.

"Great, " Aria thought, "my first 5 minutes of my career and I've already [...]ed someone off".  She sighs, pulls a padd from her bag, and gets her duty assignment.  

• Like 2

The airlock doors slid open and a blue-skinned individual walked through the passageway. With a duffel bag over his shoulder, Braz ch'Zula looked both ways before walking to his right. He had just stepped off of the Starfleet passenger ship USS Herman Wouk which had conveyed him to Starbase 118 from Starfleet Academy. 

'Wow...,' he thought as he made his way down the corridor. The Andorian was amazed by the starbase and its people. Except for Andor and Earth, he had never been anywhere out in space before. 'This place is awesome! I can't wait to explore her.' 

Braz was an engineer like one of his mothers. His parental group had all been in either Starfleet or the Imperial Guard. His dad, Theron th'Zula was the captain of the USS Lor'Vela. His other mom, Aretika sh'Zula was his chief engineer. They had raised him mostly while his other parents served aboard an Andorian space station and at a research facility on Andor. His brother, Dolim was still back at the Academy as an instructor. 

'They would love this,' went through his mind. Taking a PADD out of a trouser pocket, he looked for the room that he was supposed to meet the personnel director. 

Finding it, he walked in. 

Edited by Braz ch'Zula
  • Like 3

((Transport Agrippa))

::Aquila was born into a patrician family which meant from the moment he was born it was expected of him to join Starfleet. This he did as he knew he would when his father had told him. 

((Flashback))

::Little Aquila stood beside the wooden table, and was directly in front of his father who was sitting in a wooden chair. He was in his family’s kitchen in their spring villa on Magna Roma.::

AENEAS: You are a descendent of the Marius family. You will bring honor to you and your family by joining Starfleet and achieving greatness. When you return home you will have the influence to be consul.

AQUILA: Yes, father.
::Aquila’s voice squeaked as he stared into his father’s eyes. His 10 year old vocal chords didn’t produce the large and booming voice it does now.::

((End Flashback))

::The 22 year old Magna Roman sat on a 2 foot high, 6 foot wide cold steel bench at the back of the transport ship. Ahead of him were similar benches perpendicular to his on both sides of the transport. Aquila viewed three Magna Romans on each bench.::

::Aquila wore his cadet Starfleet uniform, but the other Magna Romans were wearing their traditional roman togas. Each person wore their respected and allowed colors to represent their different family class and roman position.::

::The Magna Roman tradition was etched in history and continued to this day. For each Magna Roman that finished their first part of their academy and was en route to their more practical studies the cadet would receive a mini celebration from current Magna Roman Starfleet Officers. It was considered a great honor and achievement. The celebration is known as Cantus Educatus.::

::Aquila stood his full length of 6 feet. The other Manga Romans did the same. Aquila began his short walk through the six Starfleet officers. As he passed each of them he kissed their outstretch hands. When he reached the front of the transport he stepped on the transporter pad and was beamed away to StarBase 118 where he would begin his long career in Starfleet.::

Aquila Marius
Cadet
SB118

• Like 2

Wow...this place...was pretty neat. Kasema Dowupa, better known as Kazzy, quickly stepped off the transporter with a 'sorry!' and a wave to whoever was appearing next, quickly taking off to look around. It was pretty busy around here.

Kasema Dowupa, Betazoid. She had very bright blonde, nearly white hair. It was braided and wrapped around the right shoulder to lay down across the front instead of the back. There was always one strand that seemed to stay free from the braid. Her dark eyes flickered excited as she looked around. Her uniform was neatly cleaned, although she preferred a bit of a longer skirt...or even pants. But it was her last day, so best be on point!

She always wanted to help people. She had always lent an ear to someone's woes or a shoulder to cry on, and had started to fall in love with how one's mind worked. It was an interesting science to her. 

She quickly darted to a seat. She pulled her PADD out of her pack, curling over it as if to drink in the information. She was so excited, she couldn't wait!

Kasema Dowupa

Cadet

Starbase 118

• Like 3

"MOVE UP THE BEACH!" As I swing my arm rushing up the beach with my 20th century replicated uniform and equipment. I know what everyone thinks of me that im a bit violent because i have quite the holo novels, but also it helps in tatical situations simce I am stiving to become a security officer, and, well it was part of earths history centuries back and it has fascinated me and now im reenacting it. I run up rhe beach and hit the hill and the bunkers were firing supressive fire only barb wire was in our way to cut through enemy lines and explosions every where. I yell

"Sargeant plant those explosives, we need to punch a hole through!" And then ducking after a close call with a motor shell.

"Yes sir on it!" As he starts calling for his assistant and and starts setting up.

"LT!" I turn to see that corporal Charles waving his hand.

"Bucks been hit" as he holds him from falling into the sand. Im thinking to myself why didnt he call the medic by now i guess its a small glitch in the holo novel.

"Call the medic!" As I yell at him. Then the most unexpected thing happens i hear the captain of the ship tell over the comm that we are about to arrive at Starbase 118, I was shocked.

"My god, I lost track of time!" As i jumped up and almost grtting shot at the same time. 

"COMPUTER END PROGRAM... Great i dont have time to take all this off, to hell with it ill face the consequences." As i bolted out the door and ran as fast as i could to my quarters to get my things and also frightening the other crew and cadets heading for the transporter room.

"EXCUSE ME... Out of the way move, move, move, excuse me" as I dart pass people and finally got to my quarters and grabbed my bag full of my personal things and bolted to the transporter room to beam onto Starbase 118. As i entered the transporter room some people gave me a wierd face, as to what im wearing and I step on to the transporter pad. One of the crew said which was a vulcan.

"Cadet, that is not of dress code. Where is your starfleet uniform?" 

"Well, I uh ran out of time, and couldnt change into my starfleet uniform."

"well for future reference it would be logical to plan more wisely and manage your time." 

Im thinking to myself are all vulcans like this guy over here. Then we started transport onto Starbase 118 and im over here all eager and excited to start my training and then we dematerialized onto the transporter pad of Starbase 118 and well im quite amazed of how much bigger it is then I imagined, i setp off the transporter pad and soak in the new career thats coming ahead well after I switch into my starfleet uniform ha ha. Well i guess this is where my new life begins. Hmmmm im supposed to go to the holodeck for the briefing on my pad. Hm simple enough. So many people, new races I haven't seen yet or only heard of, I cant wait to meet new people. 

• Like 1

((Federation Transport Bohr))

After nine years, the day when he would receive his first posting had finally come. While hardly fond of superstition, Akeen couldn't help but recall several old Guardsmen emphatically stating that the first ship they served on had defined them in more ways than they were willing to name back when they had been his teachers at the Academy on Andor. Even though he had left his homeworld behind to start anew on Earth, for the full eight semesters, he still carried a great deal of his old life with him - including one peculiar bit of wisdom from the man he had been honoured to call a mentor:

Ithevar: There are plenty of different types of ice in San Francisco, young fade. Don't slip and keep your antennae sharp.

oO As if I could file them down. Oo

Yes, he knew that the advice was sound and the old soldier meant well, but the archaic japes still cut as deep as the ushaan-tor that had marked his cheek for life. To any other sentient from his species, he was a 'fade', one who just wasn't Andorian enough, twice over: once for the Aenar heritage he showed in the V-shaped tips of his antennae and his lighter skin and once more for ultimately choosing Starfleet over the Andorian Defense Force. Oh, they were all enlightened citizens of the Federation alright, on the surface, but strip that little layer of protective lies away and rampant prejudice was still there to be found more often than one might have liked. Some of his fellow blue-skins even avoided him, something he attributed to the powerful telepathy he could have inherited from his zhen mother; he didn't, his genes settling on even more acute senses and what Humans called 'perfect pitch' instead, but he wasn't going to dispel their worries either, particularly since they never spoke to him about them.

::While he maintained the same air of severity that some of his alien classmates had often mentioned throughout his reminiscing, the more observant cadets could, probably, notice that he was looking *through* them, instead of *at* them. He was among the last to rise from their seats as the familiar sounds of the docking clamps stopped echoing through his head and the hatch opened, releasing a gregarious stream of fresh young faces into the starbase proper; PADD in hand and standard-issue duffel bag casually hoisted across his left shoulder, Akeen followed suit when there was plenty of space for him not to have to elbow his way through a mass of Starfleet Academy's best-and-brightest who had stopped, for some reason, in the most impractical of places.::

((Starbase 118))

The flurry of stimuli that assaulted his receptors could almost be described as a true-blue, pun intended, cacophony, but the cadet knew that there was a meaning behind every little thing that had set his antennae aquiver, uncomfortable as it might have made him at first; there was a group of officers deeply involved in the what seemed to be the latest gossip, over there a handful of Rigelians were preparing for one of their daily rituals, his former travel companions were dispersing mostly toward his two and, of course, competing even with the PA system and the klaxon when commerce prevailed over civility, the sometimes-false cheer in the voices of the merchants tasted like a stale tuber root in his mouth. 

oO It wasn't even a very hearty root to begin with. Oo

Things were becoming serious: his stomach had graduated from 'aaith' to full 'baktag', given the insistence with which it rumbled. Of all the uses he could have found for his knack for languages, Akeen had, according to his teachers, chosen to waste it on developing an impressive lexicon of insulting, obscene, blasphemous and overall salty terminology that some insisted would have served him better on a Klingon raider than a Starfleet vessel (and no, he wasn't going to explain why even he blushed when he heard what Andorian blues songs one of his teachers enjoyed, thank you very much; even a budding engineer like himself could appreciate the value of a good metaphor). Thankfully, he kept that particular talent well under wraps most of the time, as his clean enough record could show, but several people could give full answers when presented with the old 'What does an Andorian say when he drops a hypospanner on his foot?' joke. At any rate, words didn't fill one's belly; in spite of his slender-looking build, with compact muscles seemingly-designed to haul weight and perform feats of contortionism in the cramped space of the Jefferies tubes, Akeen needed a sturdy few meals per day to stay in shape and he was going to address the issue with great haste, taking advantage of the time their superiors allowed them before calling them to their new posts.

::Giving the area a quick once-over, the thaan moved through the flow of the crowd toward a small queue that had formed in front of a replimat, placing his PADD well within reach in one of his pockets before reaching for a nearby tray and adjusting his luggage across his back a little more, making sure that it wouldn't bother him or end up knocking over the tray of whoever was going to get behind him, just in case. While he only had a handful of people between his person and the source of whichever nutrients he was going to opt for, a full minute passed without any progress, so, in order to distract himself a little, he decided to strike up a conversation with the back of the person right in front of him.

Akeen: I heard that one of the replicators here adds Idanian spices to the Plomeek soup by default. Can you believe it? 

It was probably just one of the many tall tales roaming about the place, but, to his defense, it was still better than what Chief Mathijsen used as an opener when she tried to chat up the broody young assistant from Astrometrics. Now, that was precisely the sort of thing he would have talked about with his male classmates who were struggling with the thought of talking to their own crushes if he didn't value people's privacy as much as he did - besides, she must have been really smitten to forget about the flabbergasted 6'5" Andorian still waiting on one of her transporter pads when her would-be paramour had sauntered in.

• Like 3

((Passenger shuttle))

::Laura stared out of the window watching as the starbase grew slowly bigger. She was on a small routine transport from Earth with about 30 other passengers.::

oO One more test and my career can finally start. Oo

::Five years ago, Laura was 24 and living in a small flat on Earth working as a repair engineer. Now she was proudly wearing a Star Fleet uniform soon to graduate. It had been a long hard struggle and she nearly left the academy a couple of times.::

::At 24 she had flickering with the idea of joining the academy for a while, but hearing the news of her sister pregnancy was the final push she needed. She could see her expected future laid out in front of her: house, marriage and kids and she didn't want it. She'd always been impulsive, doing an apprenticeship at 18 instead of going to university as expected and now she set her mind to it she was going to join the academy. Over the next year she trained and studied and finally she was accepted.::

::But at the academy she had found it hard, practically she was quite talented but she struggled with all the study (she'd been out of school for 7 years) and all the rules, she missed her freedom. But somehow she had managed to stick at with a bit of encouragement from her peers and tutors.::

::The shuttle rocked as it landed. She looked up at the clock at the front of the vessel, she still had a few hours to kill before she was due to report in. She could head to her quarters and rest but she'd slept on the shuttle and now was wide a wake. So she decided that maybe a walk and drink somewhere nice unfortunate nothing alcoholic with the impending test. She could party later.::

Laura Baxter

Cadet

Starbase 118

Edited by Laura Baxter
  • Like 2

Cadet Rand stood waiting by the airlock on the small shuttle transport, he could see the Starbase growing in the window as they approached, it was always difficult to judge sizes and distances in space as it was hard for the human brain to take in relevant sizes when comparing them to the backdrop of the galaxy.

So far, in Flallon Rand's life he had spent most of the first eighteen years in and around the sol system, mostly on earth, his travel opportunities somewhat limited by his parents work, both of them based on Earth.

He had made friends easy enough and even had a girlfriend for a while, then he joined the academy and everything changed, he drifted away from his old friends and made a whole bunch of new ones, the classes where hard but he did well at them, Starfleet security seemed to be a lot more work than just learning how to shoot and punch people. Some days it was like being trained to be a lawyer and some days a police man and others a soldier.

So that was the last four years of his life, he was 22 and he was just about to dock with Starbase 118 to take part in his cadet cruse.

One way or another, everything was about to change.

• Like 3

Four years. At top speed, with every possible distraction eliminated, Parsons had drilled through the Academy course and left half of their lifespan behind. Starfleet did not suit the Insectoid, from the time commitment to the endless waiting to the shadow of individuality looming over the campus, the unmistakable lingering of Human ideology. It was cruelly ironic- even with the coursework's emphasis on teamwork and diversity, Parsons often found themselves isolated, watching from their workstation as the more mammalian humanoids clustered together across the room. They could have counted themselves lucky- the loneliness stung like a spike through their thorax, but wouldn't a personal connection have just distracted them? They attended no parties, passed no notes, achieved graduation through nothing but their own dogged tenacity.

And now they were here, alone as ever, gazing briefly into the glittering, towering range of options available to them for the next... how long was it? An hour? Two? It only took a half-second more before Parsons' scuttling gate began to ferry them directly for the Holodeck. They would be early. Maximum efficiency, minimal extraneity. 

• Like 4

It still didn't feel real. Perhaps that was a result of how little she'd slept, her thoughts too tangled up in relief and worry for rest. Or that she hadn't adjusted yet to the culmination of years of study all leading into this, to something new. Aitas stepped to the side, letting the flow of bodies move past her as she thought. The emotions around her were a soft hum, an almost soothing noise in the background. It still felt odd to be surrounded by so many people, as if she could simply fade away into the background and watch.

That might make things easier. Get a feel of the place before too much happened. And before she got any messages prodding at how things were going. 

The bar it was then.

If she let herself think for too long then she'd start to wonder if her mother would have been proud.

• Like 3

((Starbase 118 Shuttle Bay 2))

Personal log Stardate 239307.27...

So...It's finished. Graduated the Academy...wonderful. I looked around for Mom and Dad...but no...didn't show up. I would have thought they would have been interested enough to see me get my assignment. They always favored my sister Amy...but I didn't think they would actually ignore me this much. They only gave a passing interest when I told them I applied to the Academy. Guess they thought I wouldn't really go through with it or amount to anything.  Heh...now four years later...and I'm still trying to get their attention. Now...I'll be out of their hair...as if they would notice anyway.

Amy...bless her...was late for the ceremony...but at least she gave a damn. 'You're my brother. I'm there even if they aren't. Be careful out there."

The base address system is calling all cadets over to the holodeck. Can't keep them waiting. Maybe I'll get Mom and Dad's attention someday...

End log...

Edited by Krindo Pandorn
Minor typos and some last minute additions
  • Like 2

Starbase 118 was a sight to behold.  As T’Semrik stepped out of the airlock, she was amazed at the immense variety of people to be seen wandering up and down the halls.  She shifted her hand’s position on the handle of the plain black roller case that contained everything she owned and took a deep, calming breath.  Mentally she reminded herself You can do this.  She was the daughter of an officer of the Vulcan Science Commision and a Rigelian wild woman - all she had to do was make her way through the crowd to the holodeck and she’d be fine, right?  The young brunette pulled her broad shoulders back in an attempt to allay the twinge of fear creeping into her mind.  T’Semrik had grown up first on the rural planet Rigel V, and later on Vulcan, away from the cities in her Father’s ancestral home...neither of those places ever subjected the young hybrid to the immense throng Starbases were famous for.  Throughout her two years at the Vulcan Science academy, and even during her four year stint at Starfleet training, T’Semrik had continued to dislike crowds, whether they be complete strangers or her fellow classmates.  She much preferred to stay in her study, limiting herself to speaking with a handful of people at most.  The concept of walking through hundreds if not thousands of strangers?  Petrifying.  The other passengers from the transport moved past her, glaring at the odd young vulcan as she stood in front of the airlock.  She had to get to the holodeck…

A loud squeaky bark broke T’Semrik from her thoughts, and a tiny white paw scratched at her black-clad leg.  The cadet looked down and smiled at her companion, a little tan and white fennec type creature named Sparks.  The young brunette squatted down and picked up her furry friend, allowing a smile to break out on her youthful, round face as Sparks yipped and climbed onto and across her shoulders before snuggling into the crook of T’Semrik’s arm.  Once he was settled in, Cadet T’Semrik closed her vivid green eyes and took a deep breath, calming the emotions and allowing logic to reign once more.  She then began her descent onto the promenade of Starbase 118.

Colors, textures, sounds and smells all blended and jumbled together in a cacophonous symphony as T’Semrik made her way towards the holodecks.  Customers mulling and haggling over prices and wares, dabo girls shouting and cheering, pungent perfumes from a Borellian scent dealer who had sprayed a little too much on a potential buyer's wrist - it was both nerve wracking and exhausting.  Her long legs carried her quickly through the crowds, and sharp reflexes kept her case from getting tangled among the swarm of feet, tentacles and paws.  The Rigelian could feel eyes watching her, gauging her every move - she looked down at the chrono strap on her wrist to check the time.  A frown accented the upward curve of her vulcan brow; there was a new message from the steward regarding the simulation.  She slipped through the crowd as quickly as she could and sat down at a table in a small cafe to see the message.  She drew a breath of relief from the chaos.  The cafe was quiet; she liked quiet.  She stared out the window at the star-riddled sky and relaxed into her chair, listening to the jumbled sounds and feeling the subtle vibration of the deck plating as people wandered to and fro.

‚ÄúSo what‚Äôll ya have, mista?‚ÄĚ a skinny young Denobulan girl asked, pad in hand, her bright red hair tied back with a garish yellow scarf. ¬†She chewed absently on a sweet pop as she waited for T‚ÄôSemrik to order. ¬†The cadet thought for a moment before finally ordering a small Utaberry crepe and a Vulcan Spice tea, one of her favorites from back home. ¬†Bored and jittery from the flight over, Sparks jumped down from T‚ÄôSemrik‚Äôs lap, napkin clasped in his tiny muzzle as he claimed his new chew-toy. ¬†Catching sight of the tiny animal, the Denobulan‚Äôs eyes went as wide as saucers. ‚ÄúOoh, he‚Äôs so cute! ¬†His mane is so fluffy and white!‚ÄĚ To the cadet‚Äôs horror the waitress reached down to pet the fox - but T‚ÄôSemrik shouldn‚Äôt have worried. ¬†To her surprise, Sparks leaned into the waitress‚Äôs eager hand, yipping and purring like a small kit. His large ears swept back every time she petted him, and his tail wagged back forth so fast his whole rear end wagged with it. ¬†The Denobulan looked up, grinning from ear to ear as she continued to play with the creature. ‚ÄúHis fur is so soft, and it tickles - what is he?‚ÄĚ she asked.

T‚ÄôSemrik held back a chuckle. ‚ÄúSparks is an Arubian Babchi, or lightning fox. ¬†He has this fascinating ability to create an electrical charge with three subcutaneous organs along his spine. He typically doesn‚Äôt like being touched by strangers...but he seems to like you a lot.‚ÄĚ ¬†Sparks chirruped once again, and went back to wrestling with his napkin.

Once the waitress was out of sight, T’Semrik patted Sparks on the head, receiving a delighted purr in return.  She then turned back to the original reason she had stopped, and activated her padd to check the message from the Steward.  Perhaps they had progressed the time for the simulation to now?  She read the text, and then turned off the device with a sigh - instead of progressing it, the simulation was to be held in three hours, not half of one like T’Semrik had thought.

Well, at least she had a bit more time to acclimate and stretch her legs before plunging into the simulations.  Perhaps she could even look for something to get her Father for his birthday...or perhaps a new crate for the little fox.  His other had broke in transit to the Starbase, much to the Transport captain’s chagrin.  The cadet couldn’t help but laugh at the memory of the Captain’s face when he attempted to roughly pull Sparks from under his chair in the mess hall - he had leapt back from the shock, eyes wide and fingers numbed, and Sparks had practically flown into T’Semrik’s arms.  Later on, the babchi had befriended most of the crew, but it was a rough start.  Hopefully the new assignment was a bit more...understanding.  With that thought she settled in with a novel, Sparks cuddled in her lap and Vulcan Spice tea in hand to wait for her long-anticipated Cadet Cruise.

• Like 1

The stars, they looked so overwhelming beautiful, emitting the large and brute power that was so intense that it could be seen lightyears away from it. No one could understand the beauty behind it, they understand how it works, how it transport that light and the strength of it. But no the beauty of it, the calming feeling it gives towards one person. Taking a deep breath he looked at his side seeing the empty chairs next to him and those in front of him or behind him. It was no obvious sign that people disapproved of the presence of a Klingon in their space. But he did not care, he was accepted and even under conditions that were harsh but acceptable.

Stepping out of the shuttle "Name" A Security Officer stated looking at him with alertness as if he was going to grab his phaser and shoot the Klingon down with any sudden weird moves. This behavior was expected and it made one wonder how Worf could put up with this all. Was this the real trial for every Klingon that wanted to be part of the Federation? Are they all seen as savages beast that lust for war? 

"Nak'aqi Socxo, cadet towards Starfleet Academy" Nak'aqi stated calmly as he looked at the Security Officer neutral that carefully looked at the rooster and nodded while redirecting his eyes to him "Welcome towards Starbase 118 Cadet Socxo" With that done, Nak'aqi could finally walk down the path to report that he had arrived. The technical wonders of this society was amazing, was unique and all done by combined thinking and creating. This against all definitions of progress and development methods that are presented by the Klingons. They seek answers by force or oppression. 

The base was impressive and it made Nak'aqi wonder what laid ahead of him, it will be a long for him to get used to being the Klingon here in terms of their resilient towards him. Nak'aqi was used to it in a way, his House members always made fun of him being the Scientist he is or the creativity of creating new Engineering devices. It caused more problems for his father than Nak'aqi even cared to admit at this point. He looked outside seeing those stars, those beautiful stars that were waiting for him to be explored.

He smiled and placed his bag on his back as he continues his walk towards the registration point seeing other people stepping aside for him. 

• Like 3

SB 118

Rubbing his next after the rather long runabout trip from Earth to this sector of space, Tyrlon was feeling the time difference already. Although he arrived a few hours ahead of schedule, he wasn't in a hurry to report in just yet. Something about seeming over-eager wasn't very appealing to him.

So, he wondered the starbases main concourse in search of somewhere to sit down and read up on the training ships technical specs. it never hurt to be prepared with some knowledge of the systems, even if it was just a temporary assignment. Finding what seemed to be a small almost pub-like place, the El-Aurian settled into a seat at the bar, putting his small carry-on down, while taking out a PADD.

A lithe Ferengi women came up from behind the bar, and smiled with a few crooked teeth. "Hello Who-Man. Looks as if you're passing through. What may I get you from my humble establishment?" The smell of what could only be bettle snuff, seemed to come off of her. Or maybe she'd just been handling it.

Rubbing his chin Tyrlon gave a smile in return. "El-Aurian actually. Humans are everywhere in Starfleet I reckon eh." He shrugged. "I'll have synth ale. And what food do you have that isn't replicated?"

The Ferengi smirked some more. "Ah, sorry. Sometimes you all look the same. But Who-man or not, I like you all just the same." She picked up a mug and put it in a drink dispenser, letting it fill up, before placing it before Tyrlon. "As to food," she continued. "Well, depends on your spending."

Raising an eyebrow, Tyrlon asked, "Well, would a few slips of latinum offer anything? It's all I have."

Tapping her own PADD, the bartender replied, "Of course. Credits are only good for the cheap stuff. With that, I can offer some jumbo Romulan molluscs. Harder to get these days after all. Four slips will cover it."

Not really wanting to haggle, or whatever greed induced economics were at work, the El-Aurian nodded. "Good enough." He went down to his bag again and took out the slips. He had six left. Not that he was planning on using his allotment all up, he picked up one more. Placing them in the waiting hands of the Ferengi he gave her a wink. "Five for some hopeful future business."

The latinum was gone before he could blink.

The bartender beamed with delight. "In that case, the name's Nava. And I look forward to seeing more of you. Now, let me see to those molluscs." She turned and went into the backroom.

Looking around Tyrlon noticed the place was mostly empty, save for a few civilians. But he didn't mind being by himself most times. He'd be busy soon enough.

• Like 2

The short human jogged down the ramp of a tellarite freighter, lugging several bags behind him. Whilst Baldursson enjoyed discovering new things, a cramped, smelly ride aboard the livestock transport was testing the limits of his patience. He nodded at the security guard at the bottom, before heading for the nearest map of the station, something he'd have to memorise, or, upon realizing the scale of the base, download it to a PADD... He was already running late, hence the unofficial ride out here, but now he realized he was on the opposite side of the starbase from his training area. Long way to walk, and as he checked his watch and realized, not much time to make it. 

• Like 2

Thakt arrived on station hours before he had to report for the cadet cruise. He blinked his four eyes taking in the hustle and bustle of the resident's daily lives. The fifth eye he kept closed due to the bright lights in the massive commons area. Other than his five dark eyes and flat face, his stature was somewhat unremarkable. He stood slightly shy of 2 meters and weighed less than 90 kilos. He was more muscular than scrawny and more torso than leg. He stood with a proud, independent constitute. After all, he was one of the first of his species to graduate from the academy.

After resisting the Cardassian attack on his homeworld, Evilya, during the Dominion war, Thakt decided to join the Federation in an effort to make sure the events that happened on Evilya would not happen to anyone else. The Pygorian government has taken a neutral stance in the sector, making no alliances with the Federation even after their help defeating the Cardassians. Thakt's father, the leader of his household, disagreed with Thakt's decision to join Starfleet saying that it would be foolish to absolve his neutrality, but Thakt knew in his being that he had made the right decision. 

When Thakt first arrived at the academy he had an angry resolve. A revengeful passion to stop those who would attack a peaceful people. Over the years, however, this passion has been suppressed by the ideals of Starfleet. He is more at peace now, but deep down lingers an eagerness to fight.

Thakt snapped out of his momentary daydreaming and started down the promenade in search of something visually appealing to study as he waits for his first duty.

• Like 2

Crowds. Phrik hated crowds. He had only just arrived on the station, and already he was regretting his decision to find something to drink. The Edosian watched from a corner as gaggles of cadets and officers strode past, civilians jostling their way through the thick soup of sentients. The noise was intolerable, and the occasional glance of curiosity directed towards him only exacerbated the issue. Edosians were rarely seen outside their home planet, and their unusual tripedal biology made it very difficult to not stand out. 

His eye then caught a small, mostly empty cafe some distance away. Phrik let out a long rattling sound of resignation before slinking out of his corner and into the torrent of people. He walked quickly, dodging through the tightly packed crowd. After a few minutes Phrik eventually reached his destination, taking a seat in a darker corner of the small cafe and affixing a pair of small earplugs to his head. Phrik leaned back in the uncomfortable chair, closed his eyes and clicked his tongue a few times in satisfaction. This was better, much better. He sat their for some time, immersed in his own thoughts in the artificial quiet. After a while he let out a long breath, opened his eyes and pulled out a PADD containing his orders. He still hadn't gotten used to the starfleet lifestyle, he doubted he ever would. It all seemed so arbitrary, traditions for the sake of tradition. Rules for the sake of rules. Then there was the ranks. Phrik hated them, he was a doctor, not some clockwork soldier. It didn't help that Phrik had been a Doctor since before most of his superiors had been born. But no, he was just a cadet. In the past several years Phrik had come to loathe that word. There was nothing more insulting to him than having a hundred and twenty years experience in the field of medicine and xeno-biology lumped in with a group of people barely old enough to spell. The amount of metal chunks on his collar had no bearing on how well he could treat a patient. Phrik let out a long rattling breath. But he had endured it, and soon enough it would be over. He'd be on a ship, exploring. Perhaps he'd get to dissect a new species, treat an exotic wound, discover an alien ecosystem. Hells, maybe he'd even get a disease named after him. That was the 'starfleet dream' after all. The PADD in his hand began to flash insistently. The training cruise was due to begin soon. The old doctor clicked his tongue a few times in frustration and stood up, removing his earplugs and letting the overwhelming sound of the crowds once again wash over him. Soon enough he'd have his own sickbay, and maybe then all this hassle would be worth it. On that thought, Phrik stepped back into the street, heading towards the assigned holodeck.

• Like 4

Guest Dr. Wys

X Wys, Ph.D, Phys.D, a bit of a mouthful.  First name of X, last name of Wys, a doctor of medicine and of mental health.
A Phylosian male and recent graduate of Starfleet Academy after serving for decades as a physician and surgeon working often for the Federation but not actively engaging with it until settling in on the 'new way', this new stage of life embarked upon with the Federation. At the age of one hundred and twelve, Dr. Wys had spent the last ninety of them performing surgeries that slowly but surely became more easily tasked and teaching students whom never seemed to stop coming. Too many years saying just another one, one more year for the students, one more surgery to help those in need who were able to come to him.

But no longer, the good Doctor would seek out the sick, seek out those without robots crafted to meticulously reproduce every motion he had ever performed until every nuance of healing could be replicated without him. The greater unknown, new disease, new ways to seek out the wild frontier of space as a member of that most respected institution known as the United Federation of Planets with a well polished set of Ensign pips attached to his collar ridge just slightly lower than animal based humanoids tended to wear them.

As a Phylosian, Dr. Wys appearance could be disturbing for first time viewers unused to Xenobiology, but after getting passed the four thick tentacle legs and the many prehensile appendages for arms it was just a struggle to get used to the nigh-featureless face. Those features were there, but it took some time to learn what moods the various poses of those features meant.  Beyond all that however Dr. Wys was a warm and caring person that saw the efforts of the Federation as noble indeed.

phylosian.png

• Like 1

Cadet Loman stepped off the transport and went right to the first bench he could see on Starbase 118. Loman sat right down and just contemplated life. He did not want anybody to know that he was in the bottom third of his class and barely got through most of his classes, or that he was finishing the academy at age 29. For a human male that seemed extremely late in life. At 5'9 and 180 lbs he wasn't the most athletic in his class either, in fact he was in the bottom tenth of his class in physical fitness. Loman's pale skin and light brown hair just blended in behind the scenes. How he was sitting you could not see his piercing blue eyes. Most would wonder what Loman is even doing in Starfleet.

Full name: Valdivan Aaron Loman

Interests:Diagnostics, target practice, historical holodeck programs in what is formally known as the United States of America.

• Like 3

Guest Guest

"Welcome to Starbase one one eight".

The voice of the shuttle pilot stirs me from a mild doze I don't even remember falling into. My limbs are tense, stiff, although this is more to do with not finding my seat very comfortable than with the nerves I feel about reaching the Starbase. I'm under no illusions that I'll be the next Admiral Kirk, renowned throughout Starfleet and carrying enough accolades to weigh down a ship in orbit. Does this bother me? Not at all. I was a fairly average student at the Academy, with my highest score in any of my subjects being 'A-' and my worst being a flat 'C'. Still, my parents are proud of me. Dad was a Lt. Commander when he was nearly killed in a shuttecraft accident.

He walked away without a scratch, but as brave a man as he was, he left Starfleet after that. My younger brother fell at the first hurdle, not making it through the entrance exams to the Academy. I remember his face being streaked with tears of frustration after helping me to pack a bag as I made ready to head off to the Academy for the start of my first year. He wasn't jealous of me, he was heartbroken he wasn't going with me. With only a year between us, we were best friends as well as brothers and have been inseparable our entire lives. To be honest, our prankster ways would probably have seen us both out of the Academy in the first year had we gone together. I still miss him though.

My thoughts are wandering home again. I smile at the pilot as I unclip my seat restraints before disembarking from the shuttle. As I reach the hatch, I catch sight of myself in the polished wall screen of a computer console. I wear my brown hair short, almost shaven as when it gets to any sort of length it looks like a mess no matter what. Not really a professional look I feel. I have a short beard and moustache now, although it could do with a little bit of a trim at present. Job number one once I reach my quarters!

Not that it's visible in the reflection, my eyes sometimes draw some comment or other from people as the left one is blue - my favourite colour - and the other is green.

My thoughts drift home again. I had a comfortable, happy childhood with my family and I will miss that as well. Starfleet however, is my new home and I need to focus on learning my new job and doing the best I can for whatever ship I find myself assigned to.

The half dozen other Cadets are milling about outside and I grin at Cadet T'Reth. She inclines her head in return. Four years at the Academy together and I've become quite keen on her, although as would be expected from a Vulcan there has been no inclination of any mutual feelings.

We all clip to attention as a Bolian Lieutenant approaches us. He reads our names out, which we acknowledge in our turn before he motions for us to follow......

• Like 1

On ‚Äé04‚Äé/‚Äé11‚Äé/‚Äé2016 at 6:05 PM, Guest Guest said:

"Welcome to Starbase one one eight".

The voice of the shuttle pilot stirs me from a mild doze I don't even remember falling into. My limbs are tense, stiff, although this is more to do with not finding my seat very comfortable than with the nerves I feel about reaching the Starbase. I'm under no illusions that I'll be the next Admiral Kirk, renowned throughout Starfleet and carrying enough accolades to weigh down a ship in orbit. Does this bother me? Not at all. I was a fairly average student at the Academy, with my highest score in any of my subjects being 'A-' and my worst being a flat 'C'. Still, my parents are proud of me. Dad was a Lt. Commander when he was nearly killed in a shuttecraft accident.

He walked away without a scratch, but as brave a man as he was, he left Starfleet after that. My younger brother fell at the first hurdle, not making it through the entrance exams to the Academy. I remember his face being streaked with tears of frustration after helping me to pack a bag as I made ready to head off to the Academy for the start of my first year. He wasn't jealous of me, he was heartbroken he wasn't going with me. With only a year between us, we were best friends as well as brothers and have been inseparable our entire lives. To be honest, our prankster ways would probably have seen us both out of the Academy in the first year had we gone together. I still miss him though.

My thoughts are wandering home again. I smile at the pilot as I unclip my seat restraints before disembarking from the shuttle. As I reach the hatch, I catch sight of myself in the polished wall screen of a computer console. I wear my brown hair short, almost shaven as when it gets to any sort of length it looks like a mess no matter what. Not really a professional look I feel. I have a short beard and moustache now, although it could do with a little bit of a trim at present. Job number one once I reach my quarters!

Not that it's visible in the reflection, my eyes sometimes draw some comment or other from people as the left one is blue - my favourite colour - and the other is green.

My thoughts drift home again. I had a comfortable, happy childhood with my family and I will miss that as well. Starfleet however, is my new home and I need to focus on learning my new job and doing the best I can for whatever ship I find myself assigned to.

The half dozen other Cadets are milling about outside and I grin at Cadet T'Reth. She inclines her head in return. Four years at the Academy together and I've become quite keen on her, although as would be expected from a Vulcan there has been no inclination of any mutual feelings.

We all clip to attention as a Bolian Lieutenant approaches us. He reads our names out, which we acknowledge in our turn before he motions for us to follow......

My apologies to the other passengers on the shuttle, I ought to have introduced myself. Cadet Maxwell. I look forward to working with some of you in the future, provided our paths cross again.

Kubon Mera, Cadet

Starfleet Academy

The young dark-haired, lithe bodied woman stepped off the transport carrying a small cloth pack on one shoulder.  Her eyes were bright and her disposition seemed very positive. Striding forward she looked like the cookie cutter cadet fresh off the boat. Dreams in her eyes and a need and drive to do her best. 

Mera blinked a little as the bright sun temporarily blinded her and she lifted her hand to block the light. She could see several other Cadets lined up like dominos to talk to a yound blonde woman, probably signing in. Moving into the line she waited, tapping her foot and running over her list of things she needed to do once she settled here at the Academy. 

From the ship she had managed to peer over the sleeping ogre who had sat next to her on the trip here, the man had been a complete Troll, playing some game on a Padd, then appearing to be having a less than innocent online liaison with someone who elicited more than a few lecherous smirks. Internally, she had to admit that several times she had nearly reached for the barf bag and as soon as they announced that the Cadets could disembark she had taken task to that and used her lithe frame to squeak into the sluggish line and escape. 

"Name, please?" 

Blinking as Mera focused on the task at hand while she smiled and offered the data chip which had her information. "Sorry, long trip. Here you go." Offering it she waited. "Mera, Kubon. Academy Cadet reporting for duty." 

At first it seemed ok then a moment later the ensign before her frowned a little. "You aren't due in for another few hours." 

"Yeah, the pilot said the he was able to make up some time." Mera replied.  

Grabbing a nearby padd the ensign offered her one. "Your due to report to the Holodeck in the Student Union at 1500 hours." Then almost as an after thought she added. "I just suggest you get there early." Pulling out the data stick she offered it back. "Welcome to Starfleet Academy Cadet Kubon. 

"Thank you." Mera said, while twitching her mouth a little then straightening it. Mera moved out of the line and over to the posted board which had information of all sorts to help new Cadet's get settled and she decided she would wait. Instead she was hungry, having not eaten since this morning and seeing as it was nearly 1300 Mera decided to grab some grub. 

Walking along the path that lead to the food court. Her Mid-thigh black boots clipped on the stone path. There were so many people, some in Starfleet uniforms, some Cadet and others civilian. Most of those that were on the transport Kubon had come on were Cadets slatted to start the academy this week which left her almost a loner. Which was fine with her. 

Pacing the shops there she finally decided on something called Thai, it was refreshingly spicy and flavorful, especially the curry dish she had ordered. It almost reminded her of the hasperat her Mother made on Bajor. While she ate she continued to read a mail from her brother; Shon. Her brother, who was 15 years older than she and whom was serving the Bajoran government as a Federation Liason. They had an ongoing debate about wether Bajor was right in joining the Federation. 

With her lunch done she cleaned up her table and headed to the Union, as she shuffled through the door she saw that she was early enough that there were good seats, but they were becoming less available. Reaching one that was in the main aisle Mera sat down and waited. The room filled quickly but the seat beside her remained empty. A man came out on the stage and the last of the incoming Cadet's found seats while they waited for the meeting to begin. 

• Like 3

It hung there, like some long dead god's dream of a metal jellyfish.

Hawkins and three other cadets from his graduating class leaned forward in their seats to watch their approach in the shuttlecraft. Huge fleet vessels warped in, warped out, docked, and undocked.

Starbase 118.

Also known as the Great Equalizer, Kobayashi's Proving Grounds, and a half-dozen other names floating around the Academy. The excitement and awe in the small craft was big enough to fill a landing bay. Christine Baker, a redhead cadet, sat next to Hawkins. A small young woman with nearly Klingonian determination. They'd become fast friends in the Academy. Perhaps friends wasn't a strong enough word. They felt like shipmates.

The two across from them were Hakek and Lanir, a male and female vulcan. They too had become shipmates during the long 4 years of training. Stoic. Vulcan. Baker and Hawkins had beaten them in a few trials during their final year, but had been in turn losers in the finale. Baker was chiffed about it, but Hawkins took it in stride.

He was looking at the big picture. He had his eyes on going up the chain to Captain some day. Whether he would make it that far was another matter, but he was damn sure going to give everything he had in the line of duty to try. And while Baker had said some less than flattering things to the Vulcans, he'd taken the loss graciously, even trying to match their quiet dignity. It was one thing he admired about them.

He looked away from the screen and saw that Lanir had been staring at him. As soon as their eyes met, she broke her gaze back to the screen. Was she studying him? Sometimes when a Vulcan looked at you, it felt like you were being analyzed, or dissected. 

"Are we still on for drinks?" he said, to break the silence that stuffed the shuttle from port to starboard.

"Absolutely. And I'm buying the first round," Baker said, slapping his knee. 

Lanir and Hakek slowly turned their heads to look at each other, then at Hawkins.

"We'll join you for a refreshment before final processing," Hakek said. 

"And I'm buying the second round," Lanir said. Was there the faintest trace of the smile at the corners of her thin lips? Hawkins couldn't tell.

Parting with them had left him unusually empty. Hawkins knew that he might run into Baker again on 118. But the chances of them getting assigned to the same ship were slim. And even if they were, they might not ever serve on a mission together. He was working towards Command, and she was going into Engineering. As for Hakek and Lanir, he wouldn't mind serving with Lanir truth be told. He wouldn't mind that at all.

He stood at the exit door of main processing and a tiny chirp piped up from his datapad--his confirmed orders to report for Cadet training. A young man, and Ensign, reached out with his hand towards Hawkins.

"You're cleared for your Cadet Cruise, Mister Hawkins," the young Ensign said to him.

"Thank you sir," Hawkins said, and they shook hands. 

"Be sure to follow all regulations while aboard Starbase 118," the young man said to him, "you'd be surprised how many cadets are held back before they even step foot into a training holodeck."

"Oh, I believe it. I believe it one hundred percent," Hawkins said.

Heading for the orientation and first debriefing, he felt light-headed. Officers and enlisted darted around him, as if in slow motion. Every time he saw Captain's bars, he looked at how they walked. He tried to mirror how they carried themselves, and although part of him felt foolish for doing so, part of him didn't. 

He knew his journey had only begun to earn those pips. And that first one might be the hardest.

Edited by FrankHawkins
  • Like 2

Sofek was glad to finally get off the shuttle.

The other cadets on the ship didn't annoy him, obviously, he was better than that. But he could clearly notice the irritation in their eyes when they were talking about how excited they were to get to the StarBase, to set out on adventure, to meet new people, and he calmly replied that adventure or friendship should not be the top priority of a Starfleet officer. He couldn't help it, of course. He had tried to explain the Vulcan state of mind before, and it had been clear.. to Vulcans. His human classmates, however, called this state of control 'unhealthy', clearly not understanding how futile emotional outbursts are when one can always resort to simple logic. After a couple of times, he had just given up. Trying to convince someone who cannot be convinced made no sense whatsoever.

Sofek had never gotten along well with his classmates. There was no need. Focusing on his training had provided him with a more than above average knowledge in the field of Science, and he knew that as soon as he got assigned, he would be of good use.

The officer clearing the new cadets was a Vulcan, fortunately. As soon as Sofek looked at her, he knew that things were going to be different from now on. In a distant past, he might have smiled at her.

'Ensign Sofek reporting for Cadet Cruise, Officer.'

• Like 3