• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FltAdml. Wolf

official WELCOME! (Introduce yourself – the player! – by saying hello here!)

Savan sounds like a great character that you have put a bit of thought into everything about him. He should fit right into our community just fine. :)

• Like 1

Thanks Toni!

Welcome!! I love the details you've worked into Savan. I, too, play a Vulcan that's not a standard Vulcan (she is 1/4 Betazoid) and it's really fun to incorporate the struggle of emotions versus logic.

I'm excited that you found our community and I hope you enjoy it here!!

• Like 1

Thank you, T'Mar, for the welcome... I always love Vulcans that don't fit in. I just read your character's profile. She's fascinating!

• Like 1

I love Savan so far! He looks like he'll be a lot of fun to see interact with other characters - I look forward to SIMMing with you :)

• Like 1

Thanks, Taelon! Looks like weʻre starting at about the same time...so Iʻm sure our characters will meet soon!

On 3/8/2016 at 8:43 PM, Taelon said:

I'd played it since launch day, and a combination of simply having seen everything and all my buddies quitting made it rather lonely and dull, sadly :( But that's life, I suppose! I played WoW for...gosh, a decade? I don't want to think about how much I've shelled out in subscription fees to that game. x__x I'm mainly on GW2 and FF14 these days, MMOwise.

I used to play A LOT, but then I sorta drifted away because I got busy but also because I felt like it was eating away at all my productive time. For a few years, I was playing every Christmas break pretty much non-stop, but I just found that it's too hard to re-learn everything if you've been away for a year. 50% or more of the abilities have changed every time I return, the mechanics are all different, and I just end up having to level up by myself. :(

14 hours ago, Savan said:

Greetings all!

I’m Alex, a freelance magazine writer and editor in my mid-30s I’ve lived in a few places in the States, but I’m now based in Puerto Rico. I’ve liked the series since I was a child, with my interest going in and out over the years.

As for RPGs, I never played any until I tried Star Trek Online a few years ago. While I liked being able to design my own characterʻs appearance and share his backstory, I was disappointed in that there was never any real opportunity to truly interact in character. I was considering going back to the game, only to learn it isn’t hosted any longer on Mac. Of course, that lead me here.

STO did inspire me, though, to form the basis of my character, whom I’ve named here Savan. He’s been in my head for almost five years now, and I’m glad to give him a place to act out.

I’ve always liked Vulcans and Romulans, but I was admittedly disappointed by how they were handled post-TNG. The Vulcans began very dry or just arrogant (as in that baseball episode on DS9).  The TOS and film-era Vulcans had personality and nobility, or, like the Kolihnar masters, really did seem alien. As for the Romulans, they became dull, grey, and serious–almost corporate. Remember Mark Lenardʻs commander in “Balance of Terror” or the female Romulan commander in “The Enterprise Incident.” The former had real Roman-like nobility and the other was complicated, strong but frail—not to mention, beautiful.

I found the Vulcans on Enterprise, though, a bit more interesting, though they often seemed a little inconsistent and rather emotional—especially angry, as was the case with Administrator V’Las. (He would have been a great character had he been truly cold, logical and ruthless.) I also liked the backstory of T’Pol, as well as the plot arc with Trellium D, of a substance that could literally rip away emotional control. (Perhaps, the Vulcan equivalent of kryptonite?) I also like how emotions for T’Pol could provide an ellicit experience—a taboo. You could see the same thing with the VʻTosh Katur, the Vulcans without Logic. T’Pol is offended but also intrigued by them. For all the serenity that Vulcan society can offer, it is ultimately conservative, even after the discovery of the Kir’shara.

All this inspired me to create Savan. We could see in the series that Trellium D could turn Vulcans into almost zombie-like creatures but, at smaller doses, would cause just a loss of repressive control. I repeatedly wondered what would happen if a young Vulcan was exposed to a non-fatal dose that would render him unable to control his emotions like other Vulcans. (Phlox warned T’Pol of such a thing if she continued her use of Trellium D.) Perhaps, he could gain some control—otherwise, he’d be left in a psychiatric facility—but would he ever be able to fit in on Vulcan? I thought that, logically, in order to give him a satisfactory life, he’d have to find his own path and, for all intents and purposes, on another world. Moreover, the character never chooses to abandon logic for emotions. Instead, the option is ripped from him before he has a chance to choose. (Savan is exposed to Trellium D as a pre-teen.) So, I chose to have him grow up as a teen on Earth, near San Francisco, with part-Vulcan relatives. While heʻs given all the logical treatments, he learns to balance his inner nature on his own, through intense martial training, meditation and sport. He’s in California, so he learns how to surf big waves—an apt metaphor for the emotional waves he has to ride daily. It’s a huge challenge, with practice he learns how to ride both.

I realize in some ways Savan’s a bit of a Vulcan Worf, an alien raised in a human society. However, unlike Worf, he doesn’t idolize his native culture. Savan embraces much of it, but Vulcans, to a large part, avoid him. Savan is simply an anomaly that they can’t integrate. He’s what Vulcans were in some ways in the past and what they can never be. However, his condition is not his choice or his fault, so they can’t criticize or reproach him. But they consider him as having a disability, much like Spock was nailed for being half-human in the relaunched Star Trek. And we know how that Spock reacted.

For his behavior, Iʻve drawn on TʻPol, the early Spock on TOS (particularly “The Cage,” “Where No Man Goes Before,” and “This Side of Paradise”), and the V’tosh ka’tur seen on Enterprise. An emotional Vulcan wouldn’t necessarily be emotional in the same way humans are. And while Savan needs to live with his emotions, Savan still believes in following the path of logic and rationality. For him, emotion and logic just need to be integrated. And again, he’s still riding a huge wave, so he learns he can’t get too emotional, lest he gets out of control. On a daily basis, he has to strike a balance.

Physically, I wanted Savan to have a strong imposing presence—like those massive guards in “Amok Time.” After all, long before becoming scientists, Vulcans were warriors. Savan manages to revive that long distant quality in his species. I also wanted him to be aesthetically attractive. He’s trained hard physically for much of his life, and so—logically (haha)—his body would become like a work of sculpture. And he’s handsome. Understandably, this is one of the qualities that catches non-Vulcans’ attention. He looks undeniably Vulcan but lives and moves in his body in such a way that even other species will take notice. And while he doesn’t necessarily fraternize like humans or other species, this may still lead to some interesting encounters that a Vulcan usually wouldn’t experience.

In any case, I realize that’s a lot of background, but I wanted to share what I wanted to bring here. I’m excited to bring my character to life here, and I have a few more in my head. So thanks all for providing the opportunity!

Very well developed! Welcome!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FltAdml. Wolf said:

Very well developed! Welcome!

Thank you! Glad to be here!

17 hours ago, FltAdml. Wolf said:

I used to play A LOT, but then I sorta drifted away because I got busy but also because I felt like it was eating away at all my productive time. For a few years, I was playing every Christmas break pretty much non-stop, but I just found that it's too hard to re-learn everything if you've been away for a year. 50% or more of the abilities have changed every time I return, the mechanics are all different, and I just end up having to level up by myself. :(

That was definitely a factor in me quitting - every time I'd take a long break they'd utterly revamp my class, haha. I played a Mage, Death Knight, and a Priest...and at this point in the game, none of those classes are anything like they were when they started. Having to relearn the gave every 8 months wore me out. :/ And the classes just aren't as fun anymore, on top of that. 

I honestly preferred to level by myself or with my friends since the community on WoW is, uh...something else, alright. The community being much more polite/friendly is one of the factors that drew me into FF14, since after a long day of work I'm not in the mood to get cussed at when I lag out :| 

• Like 1

Hello everyone, my name is Robert. I've always been interest in Star Trek since I watched Voyager back in the late 90's so now I decided to try to my hand at roleplaying. I've decide to play a female Vulcan by the name of Lera. They have always been fascinating characters to me, Vulcans are so emotional, yet they keep their emotions boiled up inside. I'm interested in playing that out.

• Like 2

Welcome, Robert! We're glad you found us, and hope that you enjoy the group as much as I do. :)

Hi Robert! Myself, I only wanted the Vulcan ears. :D If you haven't yet, check out the Species Guild for ideas and discussions with fellow Vulcan fans! Welcome aboard! -Mark

Savan, You've done a wonderful job with him. He's very much an alive character. 

Welcome Robert and Mark. I'm glad you guys are here. I hope you all enjoy this group as much as I.     

Great pic! Welcome!

• Like 1

Welcome aboard! I hope you enjoy your time in the fleet as much as I do! :)

• Like 1

Greetings, everyone. My name's Radu and I hail from Bucharest, Romania (that's GMT + 2, as far as timezones go). In real life, I'm a shrink. Trek has been with me ever since my early days, I must admit, having been fortunate enough to catch TNG on national television since before starting kindergarten; while my favourite, nowadays, is DS9 (with Voyager and TOS on the other side of the spectrum), that tale and the crew behind it will always have a special place in my heart. This is my first PBEM experience, but, as far as collaborative writing goes, I have a good few years of forum-based role-playing under my belt - actually, I've come across this place on RPG Directory - and I've also dipped my toes in a few MUSHes, a bit of IRC and a rather short-lived D&D campaign. Not a big fan of instant messengers, but, if any particular one is needed, I'm willing to fire it up. Oh, and you can also find me in Star Trek Online, if anyone here's still playing. 

Thank you for having me! Hope to catch you fine people IC as well soon. 

• Like 1

Welcome to Starbase 118! :) We're glad you found us!

Welcome welcome! I hope you'll find our distinctive style just as much fun as some of the other RPGs you've tried :wolfy:

Hi all, my real name is Alex Matthews, 30 year male who works Food Retail. I've role played online and offline for close to 20 years, from AD&D to Star Trek and everything in between, I'm also a MMO addict and constantly switch between them.

Sienæ s'Llaiir is a Rekarian who I'm looking to shape as a Marine.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2016 at 6:44 PM, Sienæ s'Llaiir said:

Hi all, my real name is Alex Matthews, 30 year male who works Food Retail. I've role played online and offline for close to 20 years, from AD&D to Star Trek and everything in between, I'm also a MMO addict and constantly switch between them.

Sienæ s'Llaiir is a Rekarian who I'm looking to shape as a Marine.

Welcome! I'll be interested to hear what you have to say about our particular brand of simming :)

Hello Everyone my name is Jason and I am from Austin, Texas USA. My character Quikz Santeen just graduated from academy and got placed on the Darwin as Security Officer so am excited to (once more) join your ranks! It has been a while indeed! Really look forward to simming with you all and getting back into the everyday flow of writing.

• Like 4