• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FltAdml. Wolf

official WELCOME! (Introduce yourself – the player! – by saying hello here!)

Hi, I'm Ben, I live on Cape Cod in Massachusetts. I'm a huge tabletop gamer. I was actually looking at Star Trek RPGs that people have made for Star Trek using Fate or Savage Worlds or whatever when I came across Starbase 118. I have always wanted to play a long campaign in a Star Trek game, but finding a reliable local group is tough. So I figured I'd try something different and give this a try. I figure I can get over the lack of rolling dice.

I could go on and on about how big a fan I am, but I figure that the fact I am here speaks to that pretty well.

I work in IT, which is how I support my geeky habits (as well as supporting my family). And I like long walks on the... wrong site. Sorry.

Anyway, looking forward to this, I hope to have many adventures.

• Like 2

Hi Ben! It's great to have you here! You're certainly in good company with us! I hope you have many happy adventures here as well! :)

Hi everyone! I'm Sarah, I just got my application approved a few minutes ago (crazy fast admins!) I currently live in central California, which is frequently referred to as the armpit of the state. I am super into TNG and DS9, and all things Soong. I've only been a fan for a few years. It took my husband two of the six years we've been together to get me into Trek haha.

I'm a Full-time Engineering student, and I volunteer a lot, but I try to make time to write every day. I'm really new to this kind of RP though. I used to do fandom roleplaying on a journaling site, but I decided to branch out. :D I'm super excited about meeting everyone here though, and figuring everything out so I can jump in when it's time!

Hiya Sarah! :) We are happy to have you with us! I have no doubts that you are going to have a blast with us and we with you!

Best of luck! :D Or if you're the superstitious play-actor type Break a Leg! I'm sure you'll you do great though. :)

Edited by Rustyy_Hael

Hello,

My name is David "Luke" Morton. Please call me "Luke". the air quotes when you say may name are not necessary but I can appreciate the humor of it.

I live in Springhill Louisiana. If you are not familiar with the area let's just say and i can step out my back door and be in Arkansas.

I discovered UFOP by simply doing some google searches. I have been wanting to join a Good PBEM since my last one ended approximately ten years ago.

Things to know about me:

I play Jaxton Vee newest recruit and an El-Aurian Doctor.

I'm a horrible speller. Yes i know, thank god for spell check right?!!!!. I have a terrible sense of humor that usually works itself into my characters. If at anytime, I get on your nerves just let me know and i will calm that part of my writing down as the need arises.

I abandoned instant messaging services a long time ago but I am willing to start them up again for the purpose of callaborative writing efforts. If anyone wants to suggest a specific messaging program commonly used by the writers please let me know. I will gladly install it and add the contact info to my profile..

Other than going into a long paragraph about how I like to take long walks , my favorite colors and how i would go about solving world hunger I'm not sure what else to write here.

Thank you for accepting my application,

Luke

• Like 1

Hello, my name is Caleb Richardson, I'm from Deep East Texas but currently live a little ways outta Little Rock, AR. I discovered UFOP after googling a few roleplay sites. I am currently a high school senior, I am unemployed, and roleplay on multiple website. I you want to know which ones just message me.

Welcome, Caleb! My name is Mel :)Glad to have you here!! ​

Welcome to you all. :)

Thanks for the welcomes, and hello fellow newbies!

Hi to all the new players! It's great to have you all here. I'm James, I come from Scotland and have been roleplaying over 4 years now. I hope you all love it here and have many happy adventures! :)

Hello,

My real name is Dan

I live in Illinois right now but moving soon because of my job.

I work for a private security company.

and I kinda found this place randomly. I've been looking up star trek rpgs on forums and just came across this one on a google search. It's amazing this group has been around since 1994.

50 minutes ago, Shaw said:

Hello,

My real name is Dan

I live in Illinois right now but moving soon because of my job.

I work for a private security company.

and I kinda found this place randomly. I've been looking up star trek rpgs on forums and just came across this one on a google search. It's amazing this group has been around since 1994.

Welcome Dan! 

It's been an amazing journey since 1994. I hope you enjoy being a part of our community :)

Welcome Dan its great to have you here!

Welcome Dan. we're happy you found us. :)

IMG_0077.PNG.2134f504cc39b38bf0e47202b5aHello everyone! I'm Mark. The pup is Schroeder. ;) We live in Philly where I work for a bunch of nonprofits. I grew up watching TNG when it originally aired and I had a good experience simming with a Yahoo Group ages ago so I'm excited to be getting Trekky.

I actually discovered this group while looking for Dungeons & Dragons games. A semi-promising D&D group shared a Facebook post from SB118's page - and here I am! After spending a lot of time going nowhere with unorganized D&D games, the quality of the community you seem to have here makes it easy to switch genres. ;)

I'm also encouraged seeing an LGBTQ alliance here!

Looking forward to gaming with you all.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Mark and Schroeder! :) I hope to see you in the Fleet soon!

• Like 1

Glad you could join us!

Which post did they share on the Facebook page? :)

• Like 1

Thanks! The shared post was Sal Taybrim's article on metagaming.

2 minutes ago, markmybitstream said:

Thanks! The shared post was Sal Taybrim's article on metagaming.

Nice! So great when our content reaches people :)

Hi Mark, it's great to have you here! Your pup is so cute! <3 dogs! :)

• Like 1

Hey all! I found your site through RPG-D, and since I've been thirsty for some Trek I decided to give it a shot! I haven't SIMMed before, but I've been roleplaying online since the mid 90s. I grew up on 'Trek and a lot of other Sci-Fi, as well as high fantasy and the combined stuff - lots of late nights reading authors like McCaffrey, Niven, Pratchett, Norton and so on. My favorite of the 'Treks is TOS, with TNG a close second. I never got into Voyager or DS9, sadly, but am trying to catch up with those nowadays. 

Job and hobbywise, I'm a front-end web developer by trade and do a lot of digital painting and art. My hobbies these days are largely PC gaming, roleplaying, and horseback riding. I play Star Trek Online sporadically, as well as several other MMOs (though the WoW days are behind me, now). At the moment I'm replaying my way through the Fallout franchise. 

I look forward to RPing with you all and getting to know your community better! Apologies ahead of time for my inevitable mistakes. Handlewise you can call me Taelon/Tay, since I'm a bit old-fashioned bout handing my name out online. ^^;

• Like 4

Welcome welcome! 

Why'd you leave behind WoW? :)

• Like 1

I'd played it since launch day, and a combination of simply having seen everything and all my buddies quitting made it rather lonely and dull, sadly :( But that's life, I suppose! I played WoW for...gosh, a decade? I don't want to think about how much I've shelled out in subscription fees to that game. x__x I'm mainly on GW2 and FF14 these days, MMOwise.

• Like 1

Greetings all!

I’m Alex, a freelance magazine writer and editor in my mid-30s I’ve lived in a few places in the States, but I’m now based in Puerto Rico. I’ve liked the series since I was a child, with my interest going in and out over the years.

As for RPGs, I never played any until I tried Star Trek Online a few years ago. While I liked being able to design my own characterʻs appearance and share his backstory, I was disappointed in that there was never any real opportunity to truly interact in character. I was considering going back to the game, only to learn it isn’t hosted any longer on Mac. Of course, that lead me here.

STO did inspire me, though, to form the basis of my character, whom I’ve named here Savan. He’s been in my head for almost five years now, and I’m glad to give him a place to act out.

I’ve always liked Vulcans and Romulans, but I was admittedly disappointed by how they were handled post-TNG. The Vulcans began very dry or just arrogant (as in that baseball episode on DS9).  The TOS and film-era Vulcans had personality and nobility, or, like the Kolihnar masters, really did seem alien. As for the Romulans, they became dull, grey, and serious–almost corporate. Remember Mark Lenardʻs commander in “Balance of Terror” or the female Romulan commander in “The Enterprise Incident.” The former had real Roman-like nobility and the other was complicated, strong but frail—not to mention, beautiful.

I found the Vulcans on Enterprise, though, a bit more interesting, though they often seemed a little inconsistent and rather emotional—especially angry, as was the case with Administrator V’Las. (He would have been a great character had he been truly cold, logical and ruthless.) I also liked the backstory of T’Pol, as well as the plot arc with Trellium D, of a substance that could literally rip away emotional control. (Perhaps, the Vulcan equivalent of kryptonite?) I also like how emotions for T’Pol could provide an ellicit experience—a taboo. You could see the same thing with the VʻTosh Katur, the Vulcans without Logic. T’Pol is offended but also intrigued by them. For all the serenity that Vulcan society can offer, it is ultimately conservative, even after the discovery of the Kir’shara.

All this inspired me to create Savan. We could see in the series that Trellium D could turn Vulcans into almost zombie-like creatures but, at smaller doses, would cause just a loss of repressive control. I repeatedly wondered what would happen if a young Vulcan was exposed to a non-fatal dose that would render him unable to control his emotions like other Vulcans. (Phlox warned T’Pol of such a thing if she continued her use of Trellium D.) Perhaps, he could gain some control—otherwise, he’d be left in a psychiatric facility—but would he ever be able to fit in on Vulcan? I thought that, logically, in order to give him a satisfactory life, he’d have to find his own path and, for all intents and purposes, on another world. Moreover, the character never chooses to abandon logic for emotions. Instead, the option is ripped from him before he has a chance to choose. (Savan is exposed to Trellium D as a pre-teen.) So, I chose to have him grow up as a teen on Earth, near San Francisco, with part-Vulcan relatives. While heʻs given all the logical treatments, he learns to balance his inner nature on his own, through intense martial training, meditation and sport. He’s in California, so he learns how to surf big waves—an apt metaphor for the emotional waves he has to ride daily. It’s a huge challenge, with practice he learns how to ride both.

I realize in some ways Savan’s a bit of a Vulcan Worf, an alien raised in a human society. However, unlike Worf, he doesn’t idolize his native culture. Savan embraces much of it, but Vulcans, to a large part, avoid him. Savan is simply an anomaly that they can’t integrate. He’s what Vulcans were in some ways in the past and what they can never be. However, his condition is not his choice or his fault, so they can’t criticize or reproach him. But they consider him as having a disability, much like Spock was nailed for being half-human in the relaunched Star Trek. And we know how that Spock reacted.

For his behavior, Iʻve drawn on TʻPol, the early Spock on TOS (particularly “The Cage,” “Where No Man Goes Before,” and “This Side of Paradise”), and the V’tosh ka’tur seen on Enterprise. An emotional Vulcan wouldn’t necessarily be emotional in the same way humans are. And while Savan needs to live with his emotions, Savan still believes in following the path of logic and rationality. For him, emotion and logic just need to be integrated. And again, he’s still riding a huge wave, so he learns he can’t get too emotional, lest he gets out of control. On a daily basis, he has to strike a balance.

Physically, I wanted Savan to have a strong imposing presence—like those massive guards in “Amok Time.” After all, long before becoming scientists, Vulcans were warriors. Savan manages to revive that long distant quality in his species. I also wanted him to be aesthetically attractive. He’s trained hard physically for much of his life, and so—logically (haha)—his body would become like a work of sculpture. And he’s handsome. Understandably, this is one of the qualities that catches non-Vulcans’ attention. He looks undeniably Vulcan but lives and moves in his body in such a way that even other species will take notice. And while he doesn’t necessarily fraternize like humans or other species, this may still lead to some interesting encounters that a Vulcan usually wouldn’t experience.

In any case, I realize that’s a lot of background, but I wanted to share what I wanted to bring here. I’m excited to bring my character to life here, and I have a few more in my head. So thanks all for providing the opportunity!

Edited by Savan
  • Like 1