• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Landon Siegert

Narrative hard to follow

Hello. My character is Landon Siegert, science officer in the current cadet training mission. As I'm going through the various emails I've already received, I'm finding it hard to keep the narrative structure together. People are writing their various contributions but I'm finding it hard to follow who said/did what, and when. It would be easier if everyone copied and pasted what the previous person wrote, thereby creating one long narration. Is this how it's supposed to be?

hi, welcome to SB118.

I can honestly relate to what your saying and had a similar experience the first couple of times I posted. The main thing to realize is that these are the things that are addressed during the training mission so you don't have to be perfect immediately. Mistakes aren't a bad thing.

To some extent there is going to be some copying and pasting although this fact isn't encouraged. In the wise words of my previous CO, "There are only so many ways a Romulan war bird can de-cloak in front of your ship." Having said that your reply is meant to be from your characters prospective. Thoughts, feelings, observations and actions from your character are what make your reply interesting and why people look forward to reading it.

As for structure, it can get confusing when there is a lot going on especially in longer posts. The technique I personally use is have all the posts from the other players in front of me in order of when I received them. The "first" post in the situation forms a baseline for any tags. The later responses then fills in the missing tags forming a more complete idea of what is happening at that moment. This allows you to see what is happening and make your contributions as you see fit.

The most important thing though is to reply to your characters tags and have fun. As you get more experience hopefully you will get a better idea of what your doing. I hope this answers your question and that I haven't appeared too patronizing.

• Like 1

I understand how you feel as well, when there is a lot going on it can get confusing. Like Arden said, it gets easier with time and practise. I too have had to open up all the recent emails and "piece it together" to get everything thats going on all together and in (more or less) the right order.

Absolutely it's a practice thing. The important thing is to include what others have contributed to the conversation, and to reply to your tags.

I actually often copy and paste my last post into Word, and then as I read through the replies I past what the other characters said or did into the tag spots, and then I can continue with my character's reactions or replies, before pasting the whole thing back into an email.

Try a few different ways to find out what works for you.

Everyone has it's own way. I for example read all the sims. Than re-read the sims from the scene I'm responding to and take from them only dialogs. Now first fill my responses and when finish that I'm adding reactions and thoughts (narrative) into the sim.

Hello. My character is Landon Siegert, science officer in the current cadet training mission. As I'm going through the various emails I've already received, I'm finding it hard to keep the narrative structure together. People are writing their various contributions but I'm finding it hard to follow who said/did what, and when. It would be easier if everyone copied and pasted what the previous person wrote, thereby creating one long narration. Is this how it's supposed to be?

As one of your instructors, I find that you are doing very well in culling out what does not need to be in your sim. Sometimes it's better to write a synopsis of what has happened, then start from there with your character's viewpoint and reactions, and include tags for the others to advance the story.

I found it a bit hard at first, then I began to simply see the already existing posts as a part of my story. In a way it is, all I have to do is react to what is written. Or course while your're writing you naturally start to think up how other players react to your input. I always found it best to think in a number of directions; I.E. will they react ( A ) positively, ( B ) Negatively ect. That way I've already made a few thoughts on how I could/should respond to them responding to me. I hope this helps.

MFG

As for structure, it can get confusing when there is a lot going on especially in longer posts. The technique I personally use is have all the posts from the other players in front of me in order of when I received them. The "first" post in the situation forms a baseline for any tags. The later responses then fills in the missing tags forming a more complete idea of what is happening at that moment. This allows you to see what is happening and make your contributions as you see fit.

The most important thing though is to reply to your characters tags and have fun. As you get more experience hopefully you will get a better idea of what your doing. I hope this answers your question and that I haven't appeared too patronizing.

I am a Cadet jalen Vesole, conducting my very first training SIM here or anywhere else. The method described above is pretty much how I am operating. Remember too that your character will not see or experience all the actions going on. At first I felt I had to have a spoon in every bowl but quickly realized that Jalens sphere of influence..unless he turned on his betazoid reading skills ...was limited to what the SIM was dictating. Not jalen forcing his way into a larger sphere.

It's been hard waiting for replies cuz I want to move the SIM forward, but Vesole has done what he can until questions or interactions are otherwise resolved. Point is... Let the SIM come to you.

• Like 1

One of the things that I have learned from other communites, and had reinforced here, is take your time on your sims. When you get tagged, dont quickly go and open up which ever word program you use. Spend a few hours, or even the night and think about how you want to respond, and even how you want to continue on.

The other suggestions in here are great as well, but ultimatly just have fun with it. And remember, no one expects you to be a pro and win any of the writting compititions with your first one. It takes time to learn, but you will.