• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

New Star Trek shooter game in the works

Tanjar-Ongra

I know what you mean. I wish they'd make non-shooting based Trek games again, as I am an old, old man who fondly remembers being introduced to Star Trek through Star Trek: 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites for the PC. Soon enough, Star Trek will be celebrating its 50th anniversary which just blows my senile mind (when I remember to worry about it).

I was hoping they'd make something for the Wii, and latterly Kinect360 and PS3Move, where I could use the Wiimote (or whatever) as a tricorder-control and point-and-shoot phaser (when rarely required) along those same exploration-adventure game lines. Alas...

P.S. Yes I did also play A Final Unity but my copy was insanely bugged.

I know how you feel. I always felt there's a lot more to Star Trek than shooting stuff, i'd like to see a game that wasn't so heavily combat based myself.

I don't get it -- if you don't want to make "a Trek game," then why are you co-opting our universe?

The 2009 Trek movie worked because it was well written and didn't trod all over the established canon while still being exciting and fun to watch. This game looks like crap. I don't like the idea that the future is filled with all this hand-to-hand combat! :P

I know what you mean. I wish they'd make non-shooting based Trek games again, as I am an old, old man who fondly remembers being introduced to Star Trek through Star Trek: 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites for the PC. Soon enough, Star Trek will be celebrating its 50th anniversary which just blows my senile mind (when I remember to worry about it).

I was hoping they'd make something for the Wii, and latterly Kinect360 and PS3Move, where I could use the Wiimote (or whatever) as a tricorder-control and point-and-shoot phaser (when rarely required) along those same exploration-adventure game lines. Alas...

P.S. Yes I did also play A Final Unity but my copy was insanely bugged.

I too remember those old DOS games.They were awesome! I think your idea for a Wii game is absolutely stellar! I'd buy that in a nano-second!

I don't get it -- if you don't want to make "a Trek game," then why are you co-opting our universe?

Its not that I don't want to play a Star Trek game. The fact is I to believe that Trek is more than just a simple shooter, it always have been(well at least from TNG onward. I can't say much for the original).

Although I am not sure this wii/kinect360 adventure game would sell these days.

• 3 weeks later...

Recent (if you can call them that) Star trek games have hardly been brilliant. The quoite ont he 2nd page of:

"Those custom weaopns - quite a liberty with Trek lore and unique to this game - are designed to reflect their personalities. Kirk's phaser is a sci-fi version of a loud six-shooter"

hardly fills me with confidence about this effort. Not a surprise given the film sadly.

• 1 month later...

Oh Dear!! Another Startrek Game in the works. The next attempt to get cash from the Fan community?

As a long time fan of Startrek I use to purchase the games regularly. After the 'Legacy' disappointment a few years ago I lost faith in there ever being a game that would be 'good'.

It seems that every game recently is just a 'point and press the trigger'. It has nothing to do with the spirit of Startrek. There is little or no exploration, or science problems to be solved, first contacts and so on. The only hassle in these games is where do I get the next torps/ammo, health/armor from.

I fondly remember my Birth Of The Federation Days, the game was simple compared to today's standards, but think of the fun we could have if it gave a remake of that fantastic classic. I really loved playing the Roms and getting everyone to fight each other only to march in myself and then set up my galactic Empire! Unfortunately my copy of the game died quietly a few years ago :( (old age and massive overuse.)

MFG

The 2009 Trek movie worked because it was well written and didn't trod all over the established canon while still being exciting and fun to watch. This game looks like [...]. I don't like the idea that the future is filled with all this hand-to-hand combat! :P

By that definition, JJ Abrams was co-opting the universe as well. He didn't want to make a Trek movie, he wanted to make a great sci-fi movie that happened to be set in the Trek 'verse. The game developers are actually taking exactly the same design philosophy as he did - they're looking to make a great, co-op shooter that happens to be a spin-off from a Trek movie. It's not design philosophy I have issue with. I'd quite happily play a great game that takes a few creative liberties with its source material. Not only have I had good value for the investment I made in purchasing it, but a game that is well-received and sells well opens the door to more games (sometimes of different genres).

I think people are being a little too harsh, based solely on the fact it's a shooter. Any gamer can tell you that these days, a first person/over-the-shoulder shooter does not automatically make it "simple", nor does it equal brainless gameplay with an empty story. I mean, it's being worked on by the same studio doing the Darkness sequel, and the original was an FPS that was massively praised for its story-telling.

Sure, I'd love someone like Bioware, Obsidian or Bethesda to take on the Trek license and gives us a 60-hour RPG that tops the charts. But I'm not going to dismiss a game solely based on its pre-alpha footage and genre.

Edited by Quinn Reynolds
Typo!