• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FltAdml. Wolf

Suggestions from Cadets

Are you in training, or recently finished with training, and have some thoughts on how we can make things better? We'd love to hear more about these subjects:

* How easy was the website to navigate?

* Did you find the Cadets are useful?

* Was there too much information to process? Not enough?

* Was the process "step by step" enough, or were there points at which you became confused?

* What info were you looking for that we didn't have easily available?

Beyond that, ANY suggestions are welcome which can help streamline our process, increase your enjoyment, and make it easier to participate! Please press Reply now and let us know!

Hail.

I am currently in re-training. So far I have found the academy tutorial a helpful refresher, but I have not had much information specific to returning to my old sim character.

Also, is there a forum timeline or something similar? Any primer on the continuing history of the SB 118 universe?

I heard that for SB 118 purposes, "Voyager" series is considered non-canon. Is this true?

Is the Star Trek reboot (AKA the new movie) considered canon?

So far the information I have received has been helpful, very streamlined - no extraneous stuff.

Edited by Rogg the Dachlyd

Hi Rogg! :) Thank you VERY much for your feedback- I'll answer your questions one by one.

I am currently in re-training. So far I have found the academy tutorial a helpful refresher, but I have not had much information specific to returning to my old sim character.

You can play any character you like, even one you haven't played for some time or a former main character, as a PNPC. The only issue is, the rank of your main character and your PNPCs must be equal to your OOC rank or lower.

For example, if your old character was a Lieutenant, but your OOC rank is now Ensign, you could not play that character as a PNPC in the service of Starfleet because their rank is too high. :( You could, however, play them as a civilian- or you could lower their rank for any reason you find believable (perhaps they retired and, after some time away, took another commission at a lower rank?). You could then play that character again- even make them your main character if you so chose.

Also, is there a forum timeline or something similar? Any primer on the continuing history of the SB 118 universe?

We're working on it, actually! There's a timeline project in the works. :) Unfortunately it's not finished yet. :( We'll keep you posted!

I heard that for SB 118 purposes, "Voyager" series is considered non-canon. Is this true?

Not true- we had a Vaadwaur invasion last summer, which took up nearly half the year, and two of our ships are Intrepid class ships. :)

I don't know if Wolf has made an official statement regarding this, but my understanding is that we follow the same canon rules as Memory Alpha; if it appeared on screen, as part of a TV or a movie, it's canon. If it's in a secondary source (video game, novel, etc) then it's not STRICTLY canon, but writers can choose to borrow elements from those sources if they wish.

Is the Star Trek reboot (AKA the new movie) considered canon?

A qualified 'yes'.

The events of the new movie which occur in the Prime Timeline, such as the destruction of Romulus, are canon yes. Nero attacking the USS Kelvin, for example, is canon- but it did not occur in this timeline. In our timeline, the fate of the Kelvin is unknown, but she presumably went on to serve for many more years before being retired gracefully. But Romulus definitely blew up and Ambassador Spock is missing.

What I mean to say is- the "Reboot" universe exists here, just as surely as the "Mirror" universe does, but they are separate universes. :) I can elaborate on this if I'm not being clear. :(

So far the information I have received has been helpful, very streamlined - no extraneous stuff.

That's grand! :)

Let us know if you have ANY more questions- I'm happy to answer them. :)

Edited by Alleran Tan/Radi Rais

Hi Rogg! :) Thank you VERY much for your feedback- I'll answer your questions one by one.

You can play any character you like, even one you haven't played for some time or a former main character, as a PNPC. The only issue is, the rank of your main character and your PNPCs must be equal to your OOC rank or lower.

For example, if your old character was a Lieutenant, but your OOC rank is now Ensign, you could not play that character as a PNPC in the service of Starfleet because their rank is too high. :( You could, however, play them as a civilian- or you could lower their rank for any reason you find believable (perhaps they retired and, after some time away, took another commission at a lower rank?). You could then play that character again- even make them your main character if you so chose.

I am not entirely sure I follow your explanation.

I am aware PNPC refers to a supporting, secondary character created largely whole cloth. Usually these characters are convenient plot devices for one's main character. Other times they allow someone (who is perhaps too prolific a poster) to participate in sub-plots not including their main character.

I do not know what OOC rank refers to. Please clarify.

Is there a glossary on the main page or in the forums somewhere?

I am not entirely sure I follow your explanation.

I am aware PNPC refers to a supporting, secondary character created largely whole cloth. Usually these characters are convenient plot devices for one's main character. Other times they allow someone (who is perhaps too prolific a poster) to participate in sub-plots not including their main character.

I do not know what OOC rank refers to. Please clarify.

Is there a glossary on the main page or in the forums somewhere?

OOC means Out Of Character, so an OOC rank refers to the writer's rank, rather than the character's rank. In my case, they're exactly same, but for someone like Radi they're different because he's writing an enlisted character. Hi In Character (IC) rank is Chief Petty Officer, but his OOC rank is Lieutenant, which mean he can create PNPCs that are Lieutenants, but not Commanders.

I don't know whether that's clarified things or made them more confusing :argh:

If no one minds an old RPGer's input:

I've known a few people who have started as one character and for any number of reasons, have had to leave, or take a break, and go deal with what they have going on life. I probably would have gone on myself if it wasn't for my sister, who's as big as an RPGer as I was/am (our parents like to joke we're male/female versions of each other), as well as my daughter, who loves a good RPG herself when she has the time to commit. In any case, let's say you were a Lieutenant, or a Commander, in a prior run. If you're seeking to return as that character, with his/her specified rank at the time they left, I view that as a petition to the Game Administration. They might say yes, they might say no. For myself, I wouldn't. And I will explain why.

It doesn't matter whether I might have achieved a Captaincy, or above (Admiral, Commodore, take your pick) in a prior run. What matters is my commitment, and willingness to be open to my fellow players thoughts, ideas and inputs. In such a scenario, if I were restarting, I would restart as an Ensign because if my heart was there, the promotions would come in due course based on my CO's recommendation.

Plus, it's worth it to have the opportunity to meet and write with new people. :) This is why I love ST PBEM.

MK

The illusion of continuity is a pleasant one, but there is no practical means of ensuring an ad hoc narrative is seamless. Players are not going to be able to consistently read and post. (Unless PBEM has priority over real life.) Creating a new character is certainly easier than maintaining an older character, granted. But that only adds to the troubles of the fleet's narrative appearing fragmented.

To me, the entire purpose of having a character is to explore their life and run their Starfleet career (or experience, in the case of diplomats, civilians, et al) to a satisfactory conclusion.

When I originally played, I was assigned under excellent officers. Excellent not only in the quality of their posts, but their capability of resolving narrative conflicts while progressing the story, as well as continually encouraging creativity and input from the group members.

Unfortunately, one of the officers had to leave. The story in progress was summarily concluded. Fortunately, the crew had time to say their farewells. The crew regrouped aboard SB-118 while a suitable replacement captain was found. Unfortunately, the first officer left with little notice after we were assigned a new captain and beginning a new mission. We had an acting commander (who performed a miserable task admirably) and sadly the mission was s[...]ped entirely. Then, since there were not any available captains (of rank) to take over duties, the crew was re-assigned en masse.

The reassignment did not go particularly well for my character; the ship he was assigned was immediately overstaffed. The number of daily posts was beyond my ability to follow and they were not divided into any sub-plots. There were duplicate officers in some duties. Also, complicating matters, the captain of the vessel was MIA for a few weeks after everyone had been reassigned to their ship. So there was no clear direction for a while.

Nightmare. From an orderly hobby of co-operative storytelling and character development down to a FUBAR situation which could not rightly be called a group.

Anyway, I ended up going on leave. Virtual problems aside, my significant other was having family problems. Real problems take priority.

But I certainly have enough of an interest in my SB-118 character to return him to active service rather than create a different character.

When I returned to this group after a few years of absence, I also used the same character, but I changed her dramatically. One of the great things about returning with the same character after a LOA, is that you can almost reinvent the same character by using the logic of what they may have learned off screen during that time. In this way, I was able to return using an old character, who quite frankly I got tired of playing, but whom had a special place in my SIMming heart, and changed that character to someone whom I find much more interesting to play.

In any game, RL always takes precidence over the "game". The UFOP is no different, and it is bad when it happens. Right now, due to an active recruiting group and a large amount of active players, we will soon see more and more Lt. Commanders and above in the group. I cannot say how things work if a Captain is unable to SIM for quite some time due to RL concerns, but at this time, and in the near future, there will be more than enough higher ranking officers to "cover" for the Capatain. At least for a while, or until a mission is complete. However, I am only assuming how this is how it would work.

I understand the frustration of moving from ship to ship in the fleet, especially in the middle of a mission. I remember going from the Hammond to the Tiger years ago while a Borg ship was just off of our hull :P . If I ever get to the executive I will try to convince them that ending missions before any transfers would be in the best interest of all. But who am I? Perhaps these things are just not possible to overcome in group that is run by volunteers. From my personal experience, transfers have always been a breaking point for many SIMmers. Experienced or otherwise. We get attached to a specific ship and group and we feel comfortable there. When going to a new ship, you feel like you have to reexplain yourself and your actions to your new crew for them to get an understanding of your character. If you are transfered to a ship that is already established, you may feel like an intruder or outsider, having to relearn all again. Especially since some Captains have different SIMming rules than others.

But all the things mentioned I find hard to believe would be any different in any other group such as this. Its something we all have to live with and make the best of if one wishes to eventually make Captain in this group. I am sure everry Captain has been through this at at least one point in their UFOP career. But remember first of all that this is a game. Take it as such, and have fun. Maybe make new friends along the way, and as you climb the ranks, you'll see all the hard work that goes into this group.

I for one am happy to see you back Rogg. Even though I have never SIMmed with your character, you appear to have a very unique one, indeed :)

Just to more fully address one of the earlier questions: Voyager is definitely canon. What you might be thinking about is the fact that the super-advanced borg tech Voyager was upgraded with in the series finale is not available for use in our sims. :)

Just to more fully address one of the earlier questions: Voyager is definitely canon. What you might be thinking about is the fact that the super-advanced borg tech Voyager was upgraded with in the series finale is not available for use in our sims. :)

Okay, thank you for the clarification. Maybe I just assumed or reached a false conclusion because of a restriction mentioning "Voyager" in the information following graduation from the Academy. Any case, this was all over a year ago.

When I returned to this group after a few years of absence, I also used the same character, but I changed her dramatically. One of the great things about returning with the same character after a LOA, is that you can almost reinvent the same character by using the logic of what they may have learned off screen during that time. In this way, I was able to return using an old character, who quite frankly I got tired of playing, but whom had a special place in my SIMming heart, and changed that character to someone whom I find much more interesting to play.

That is a good point: Fictional characters can change just as their writers do. And the beauty of writing is that your character can come out on top of a situation more easily than you had to do in real life (or at least overcome it in a way that sounds more grand and takes less time).

I understand the frustration of moving from ship to ship in the fleet, especially in the middle of a mission. I remember going from the Hammond to the Tiger years ago while a Borg ship was just off of our hull :P . If I ever get to the executive I will try to convince them that ending missions before any transfers would be in the best interest of all. But who am I? Perhaps these things are just not possible to overcome in group that is run by volunteers. From my personal experience, transfers have always been a breaking point for many SIMmers. Experienced or otherwise. We get attached to a specific ship and group and we feel comfortable there. When going to a new ship, you feel like you have to reexplain yourself and your actions to your new crew for them to get an understanding of your character. If you are transfered to a ship that is already established, you may feel like an intruder or outsider, having to relearn all again. Especially since some Captains have different SIMming rules than others.

Ship transfer was frustrating, but not as bad as it could have been. I think this is largely because I was originally stationed with SB-118 OPS. With the departure of our original captain we stopped training maneuvers (being on a starship) and returned to Starbase. Hanging around on SB-118 was a more natural transition than my later transition (being shunted ship-to-ship).

Catching up with a story is daunting to me. I agree that prematurely ending a mission is also bad; certainly worse to leave in the middle of a story than try to catch up with one to which your character is late. Although I suppose from time to time leaving a mission could work out as part of the story.

Trying to match up the end of a mission on one ship with the beginning of a mission on another ship would probably be next to impossible. (Although it is plausible to have a set end for plots, say, once a year on a certain date.)

One thing I have learned for certain: If your ship (group) is over-populated, never have a single event in a single location and require that everyone sim their character's response to it. Post explosion! (Of course, this again plays into my compulsion to follow the details of a story and my inability to read a large volume of mail.)

But all the things mentioned I find hard to believe would be any different in any other group such as this. Its something we all have to live with and make the best of if one wishes to eventually make Captain in this group. I am sure everry Captain has been through this at at least one point in their UFOP career. But remember first of all that this is a game. Take it as such, and have fun. Maybe make new friends along the way, and as you climb the ranks, you'll see all the hard work that goes into this group.

I for one am happy to see you back Rogg. Even though I have never SIMmed with your character, you appear to have a very unique one, indeed :)

Thanks for the warm welcome, Tracey! (*And the commiserations. It is always good to know one is not alone.)

Hello all,

Just a clarification. The "rebooted" universe is basically another one apart from this one. In this one, Vulcan is still here alive and kicking. Correct?

I hope I have this right, otherwise it would be an annoying headache.

Hello all,

Just a clarification. The "rebooted" universe is basically another one apart from this one. In this one, Vulcan is still here alive and kicking. Correct?

I hope I have this right, otherwise it would be an annoying headache.

That's correct! The Fleet Time-line might clarify some of this, as well :)

Hey, one thing that I have noticed so far. There is a noticeable lay off from applying and acceptance till the academy phase. Since I am new, but I do think that this could hurt the recruitment numbers as someone may apply and get accepted however not do anything afterwards.

What you might be able to do is have the CO of the upcoming training group get in touch with the cadets, and give them some of the basic material to start learning the basics.

The other thing might be have whoever does the assignments get in touch with them as well. Based on position selections, the sim options are probably narrowed down and just a couple messages even before they do the academy the sim selection could probably be almost determined. This would allow the new cadets to learn the basics of the sim which they will be joining quicker, and even develop a bio more specific to that ship.

I do also know that this annoying thing called real life tends to get in the way, and that is has been only a day, and the couple staff cadets deal with at the beginning might be busy on the weekends. If that is the case, sorry and feel free to ignore this. If not, thanks.

Well, I am currently in the academy and I know that it's hard waiting to hear when things will get rolling. They have to finish my class before they can start another I think. I would suggest reading all you can in the cadet sections and read the forums if you are able.

Starbase118 wiki is invaluable and well done. I hope you find any of that helpful, best of luck my friend.

Cadet Par Salen

Counselor

Hey, one thing that I have noticed so far. There is a noticeable lay off from applying and acceptance till the academy phase. Since I am new, but I do think that this could hurt the recruitment numbers as someone may apply and get accepted however not do anything afterwards.

What you might be able to do is have the CO of the upcoming training group get in touch with the cadets, and give them some of the basic material to start learning the basics.

The other thing might be have whoever does the assignments get in touch with them as well. Based on position selections, the sim options are probably narrowed down and just a couple messages even before they do the academy the sim selection could probably be almost determined. This would allow the new cadets to learn the basics of the sim which they will be joining quicker, and even develop a bio more specific to that ship.

I do also know that this annoying thing called real life tends to get in the way, and that is has been only a day, and the couple staff cadets deal with at the beginning might be busy on the weekends. If that is the case, sorry and feel free to ignore this. If not, thanks.

I have completely opposite experience, from the moment I received confirmation till the moment I was posted on a ship everything was moving shockingly fast.

You sound like someone who have some previous experience in this, but you have to understand that there are also people like me who need more time, because we don't have that experience.

I have completely opposite experience, from the moment I received confirmation till the moment I was posted on a ship everything was moving shockingly fast.

You sound like someone who have some previous experience in this, but you have to understand that there are also people like me who need more time, because we don't have that experience.

Well the academy has started now. It was just the period between the applying and getting it started. I will admit things do go fast here, kodos. Just the period between apply and start. The email you get has a few recommendations, however it covers about a hours of work. It might just be that most of my other experiences you got in touch with CO/XO of the sim right away, and after the reply they got you going. I do guess the time is about comparable to waiting for the CO/XO to reply, so might not be as bad not that I think about it.

What you might be able to do is have it give some if the info or links to the writing format and bio format, which would probably help speed up the academy a bit as well. Just a bit more info about getting started. I was able to find most of it simply by looking around, just found it required a bit more searching, and was expecting the email and /cadets page to contain more.

But I will admit, the time from applying, to acceptance and being approved for the forums is really fast, great job on that. Not a shot on the community, nothing but good experiences so far. Sorry about the way it came out at first.

Edit for a bit more detail and spelling.

Edited by Alex Nori

I "applied" today, got accepted, created all the passwords and such, was advsied to startthinking about constructing the character (I have started), and I have moved him onto the Startbase 118....all in ONE DAY!!

I have been amazed at the spped at which the admins move you into the queue, but would like to find out where and how to interact with absolute new SB118 folks and how to chat. That is developing a background with others is a lot of fun.

Where does a handsomne Betazed boy go for such derring-do?

Alex, thanks for the great suggestions! Couple things to note:

1. Our application acceptance email actually does link to information about our writing format and creating your character. It's the second link the email: http://www.starbase118.net/cadets/ -- all the links under the "Cadet" menu at the top of the page have that info, and much more.

2. We don't wait until each group is over before starting a new one, but we normally start groups on Mondays, so if you're one of those folks who applies on Tuesday night or Wednesday, it does end up being a few days before you start. However, we've found that the majority of our applicants apply Friday-Sunday, so it works out for most folks. Either way, we're sorry you had to wait so long!

The first time I applied for the academy, I applied late on Monday night. That kind of luck rather defines my life. :D Mind you, IIRC the group that I just missed out on was uncommonly full anyway, so it's probably just as well. ;)

• Like 1

Well, I am pretty sure that it was not just me enjoying the time at the Academy course. I thought that some kind of "class reunion" after a year or maybe even more would be great. If this seriously done all that were part of the training mission would be invited, including the mock cadets and the Academy tutors, but only those who would like to take part in this and have time would accept. Someone (maybe the one with the highest rank among the volunteers) would need to create a mailing list and a basic setting. Then, for some weeks all would have fun and afterwards everyone would be going seperate ways, again.

After all it's just the proposal of someone who has joined this community lately. Maybe it's unnecessary, hard to realize or whatever. It was just an idea I had :D

I did actually want to do this as a JP when I graduated training. Unfortunately, the stopping point with me was that after a year I was the only Cadet left from my class!

But yea, doing it asa inter-ship JP or as a thread in the StarBase 118 Lounge would probably be your best bet.

That sounds like a fun idea. Sadly I am the only one left from my Academy training, including trainers. I might come and crash one of the other folks party then hehe

• Like 1

That sounds like a fun idea. Sadly I am the only one left from my Academy training, including trainers. I might come and crash one of the other folks party then hehe

Maybe all of us with no one left should do one :P

That said, my trainers are still around, its only the Cadets that are gone!