• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FltAdml. Wolf

Suggestions from Cadets

Maybe it could be a reunion of a whole month if there are too less cadets staying around. Though they didn't play together, they would have been part of SB118 for the same amount of time (in the most cases).

• Like 2

Dial, I like both those ideas

In fact they could, if you want, be sims. Holodeck technology and sub space signals make it believeable and possible.

How's that. You guys game?

As for my cadet classmates, I too, am the only one remaining. A few of the trainers might still be around.

A quick thought... And this is coming from someone currently in training (Day 5). Is it possible that there may be too many "Mock cadets?" in some cases? I'm currently struggling a bit with "moving the story forward" as per some feedback I just received. Believe me, I have no shortage of ideas about things to write... But keeping the chars all straight can be a bit daunting. There are currently nine cadets in my class, some of whom write with some regularity certainly... But others I haven't heard from since the roll call. I know that some are starting up secondary or tertiary chars, but maybe it would be helpful to know which crew members were "bots" (so to speak) so that new Cadets (I'm one of only two in this group, I think) could use them a bit more freely in terms of moving the dramatic tension forward? Or possibly have the trainers set some sort of timeline as far as posting regularity? I'm really trying hard not to step on anyone's toes when writing, as I'm brand new to this. But I do feel that I've asked some leading questions to other crew members that - had they run with it - could have moved the story forward.

Maybe it's just growing pains... I could be dead wrong :) Thanks for the time!

Hi Leland! First thank you for your suggestion :) It does indeed happen that there are a lot of cadets at once, but that will help you later on a ship as there are usually 11-13 or so players that write themselves and sometimes even so called PNPCs (Personal NPCs). But the speed might vary from ship to ship and in contrast to the Academy class.

Mock Cadets often make themselves known (I know I do) but I am not sure what you mean with "using them a bit more freely in terms of moving the dramatic tension forward", since that is what everyone can do, as the story is written by everyone in same parts :) That is why we call it cooperative writing.

So you should not be afraid to step on anyone's toes. Keep your duty post in mind when you post if you are not sure about the toe stepping, so you can for example leave something in your idea for a department that deals with such things, that way you can include include the other players, so that everyone in the class can write your ideas with you :)

And don't worry, you do not have to be perfect, and you will still continue to learn on a ship. It will become easier in time. :) I hope I could help you a little with this.

• Like 1

A quick thought... And this is coming from someone currently in training (Day 5). Is it possible that there may be too many "Mock cadets?" in some cases? I'm currently struggling a bit with "moving the story forward" as per some feedback I just received. Believe me, I have no shortage of ideas about things to write... But keeping the chars all straight can be a bit daunting. There are currently nine cadets in my class, some of whom write with some regularity certainly... But others I haven't heard from since the roll call. I know that some are starting up secondary or tertiary chars, but maybe it would be helpful to know which crew members were "bots" (so to speak) so that new Cadets (I'm one of only two in this group, I think) could use them a bit more freely in terms of moving the dramatic tension forward? Or possibly have the trainers set some sort of timeline as far as posting regularity? I'm really trying hard not to step on anyone's toes when writing, as I'm brand new to this. But I do feel that I've asked some leading questions to other crew members that - had they run with it - could have moved the story forward.

Maybe it's just growing pains... I could be dead wrong :) Thanks for the time!

It does happen from time-to-time that we have too many people in a group. We always have a CO, an FO, and then the cadets themselves. We usually try and get enough of our Training Officers to then be Acting Cadets to get us up to 7 or 8 people in the group.

There are no "bots." It's up to you to move the plot forward, as Jalana said! The folks who were introduced at the beginning of training and haven't responded are people who dropped out of the class for one reason or another. Usually about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cadets do that for one reason or another.

As Jalana said, this is an introduction to what being on a ship is like. You usually won't have so many people in such a confined space as you do in training, all working together, but you do have to get to know everyone. More than anything though, I wouldn't worry too much about those growing pains. Like anything, this takes a little practice to get right. That's why we start you out in training, so that you'll have a chance to get some of the worst confusion out of the way first!

Awesome! Thanks, guys! Just got a little feedback from my CO expressing the same sentiments. I just wanted to make sure that everyone was having fun and I wasn't "railroading" anything.

"Bots" was maybe an unfortunate choice of words... I only meant maybe those "Mock Cadets" could be clearly identified so that trainees could have a little more leeway in guiding what they were doing i.e: using them more as NPCS to further the plot (hope that answers your question too, Akeelah).

Again thank you!

Also... Liam Frost: GREAT CO

• Like 1

Awesome! Thanks, guys! Just got a little feedback from my CO expressing the same sentiments. I just wanted to make sure that everyone was having fun and I wasn't "railroading" anything.

"Bots" was maybe an unfortunate choice of words... I only meant maybe those "Mock Cadets" could be clearly identified so that trainees could have a little more leeway in guiding what they were doing i.e: using them more as NPCS to further the plot (hope that answers your question too, Akeelah).

Again thank you!

Check the introductory emails in the roll call thread. They all identified themselves as current or long-time members ;)

Yes that answers the questions, though Player chars (no matter if PNPC, PC or Mock Cadet) won't be played like NPCs by Academy Class Leaders or CO/FO on ships :) They are all played purely by the character's writer :)

But NPCs can be played by everyone.

Edited by Akeelah (Jalana)

Got it. Totally clears everything up! Also my CO just posted a great example of moving things forward. A huge weight off, guys! Thanks so much! Sorry if I seem over-eager or post too much lol... I'm just really diggin it here!

I'll shut up now. :)

I'll shut up now. :)

No need. We love eager cadets! :harry:

• Like 1

Happy we were of help! And don't worry. It is awesome that you are full of enthusiasm! Always feel free to ask :)

Hi all!

I'm currently in training and am new to simming.

I was just thinking that it might be helpful to cadets to let them know what sort of equipment they would be issued with (phaser, tricorder etc.) and the capabilities of the equipment. I've had a good look around the wiki and there is plenty of information which is great. I just thought it might help people like myself who are Star Trek fans but are maybe not so up on all the technical stuff to be given a quick run-down on the standard issue stuff for training and beyond.

Really enjoying training. Looking forward to getting my first posting!

Much love,

James (Cadet Gogigobo Fairhug)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gogi89 said:

Hi all!

I'm currently in training and am new to simming.

I was just thinking that it might be helpful to cadets to let them know what sort of equipment they would be issued with (phaser, tricorder etc.) and the capabilities of the equipment. I've had a good look around the wiki and there is plenty of information which is great. I just thought it might help people like myself who are Star Trek fans but are maybe not so up on all the technical stuff to be given a quick run-down on the standard issue stuff for training and beyond.

Really enjoying training. Looking forward to getting my first posting!

Much love,

James (Cadet Gogigobo Fairhug)

That's a good idea. Our quick run down of equipment and other things about our universe is actually already available on the wiki as the 118 Primer:

https://wiki.starbase118.net/wiki/index.php?title=StarBase_118_Universe_Primer

We can look into making that a bit more visible during your introduction to training.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! :-)

Yeah, maybe it could be included in a "welcome to training" email or perhaps provide the link in one of the tutorials?

Just a suggestion based on my own shortcomings really! Haha!

Edited by Gogi89

On 1/9/2011 at 1:55 PM, FltAdml. Wolf said:

* How easy was the website to navigate?
* Did you find the Cadets are useful?
* Was there too much information to process? Not enough?
* Was the process "step by step" enough, or were there points at which you became confused?
* What info were you looking for that we didn't have easily available?

I found the training extremely useful. I think that most of the questions or issues I had arose naturally through the training, and I (and other cadets) was able to ask them of the trainers and have them answered. The website is very well done.

I do agree with Gogigobo Fairhug that it would be helpful to know what equipment is issued at the start. I know Star Trek pretty darn well, so it was easy for me, being assigned to the medical station, to say that I found a medkit and medical tricorder, but I was still unsure if I had a phaser at the start, and I can certainly see someone with less Star Trek knowledge needing more info about the equipment of the setting.

I did find the time limit a bit stressful for training. I understand that it's in line with the minimum that slow ships in the fleet have, but learning the ropes and being unsure how long I should wait between sims lead to a sort of last-minute third sim before the end of the week. I would suggest making the time limit a week and a half, or maybe two (I sent specific concerns why getting quality sims in on time was stressful to my training officer, Lt. Cmdr. Sevo).

Edit: I'd also like to add that a brief primer on simming terminology should be added. For example, email vs. sim vs. mission vs. story vs.... etc.? It was just a little weird for me to come in and intuitively think of the term "sim" as applying to the entire thing, and have it actually mean a single email. I'm also a little unclear on what the term for the whole thing is - are we on a mission? Are we writing a story?

Another edit: It would be useful if there was information on the forum settings (and maybe there is and I haven't found it). Specifically, notifications - took me half a day of trying to figure out how to get in-browser only notifications on topics I follow, instead of emails.

Edit: Just noting I took the training 10.23.18 - 10.31.18 (finished two days before this post)

Edited by Felderburg
  • Thanks 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.