• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

2011 Writing Challenge Discussion

Jordan aka FltAdmlWolf

I have an entry underway. I'll give you all three hints as to my interpretation of 'Song and Silence':

1) John Cage's composition "4'33"

2) Jean-Paul Sartre's play "No Exit"

3) ZOMBIES!

;)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The topic has kinda led me to songs that signify silence. What I mean are songs that are somber enough that one could play through silence, where no one talks. It reminds me of the Jewish hymn Kol Nidre http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mgaICZS79Y

When I was a child, this song would play while the Rabbi would state the names, in alphabetical order of those who had perished during the course of the year, from the congregation. It was always played by an organ and left me with a lump in my throat

• 2 weeks later...

Whew.... I was afraid I had missed the deadline (it used to be the 31st or so of the first month which left the second for judging). Looks like I have a few weeks to actually get my story done. I've got a good idea, and I even wrote a song to go with it, but I've had problems finding the time to execute it.

Whew.... I was afraid I had missed the deadline (it used to be the 31st or so of the first month which left the second for judging). Looks like I have a few weeks to actually get my story done. I've got a good idea, and I even wrote a song to go with it, but I've had problems finding the time to execute it.

Oooh, interesting! I'm looking forward to this. :)

I've got a good idea, and I even wrote a song to go with it, but I've had problems finding the time to execute it.

Now there's an idea, it saves me having to think of a song to go with the idea I have :: Wonders off to research Cardassian music and whether they even listen to music! ::

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to post my entry regardless, but I do have a question if any of y'all know:

Do these stories follow normal sim format? What with the ::colons:: and people's speech noted by their name in ALL CAPS?

Or are these more like regular stories, with normal paragraphs?

I am going to post my entry regardless, but I do have a question if any of y'all know:

Do these stories follow normal sim format? What with the ::colons:: and people's speech noted by their name in ALL CAPS?

You can do it however you like- whatever style takes your fancy. Some people do them in "sim format", others do narrative style. Whatever you feel most comfortable with and whatever serves your story best. :)

You can do it however you like- whatever style takes your fancy. Some people do them in "sim format", others do narrative style. Whatever you feel most comfortable with and whatever serves your story best. :)

Thanks!

I think I would prefer to write regular-style. (Although practicing "sim format" might not be too bad an idea.)

Hopefully I can have my story up by tonight.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow! How many stories?!

Great to see so many entries, I'm desperately trying to get something finished off this evening. I don't envy the judges the task before them.

Good luck everyone.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some months, I really want to jump in :P This is a great topic! Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

why don't you? theres only two of us that are in so far.

I wish I had the time :) Other fleet administrative duties keep me busy enough!

• 2 weeks later...

I've fallen off the writing bandwagon and barely written anything all year. I'll try and pull myself back on and get something entered for this round of the competition.

I thought I had done the tags and the title of my submission right, but I guess I didn't:( The preview doesn't show you how it's going to look on the topic list.

Is there any way to fix it? I'm really sorry!