• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FltAdml. Wolf

Training Questions from Cadets

Then that's very likely why you were assigned the way you were. We generally look to fill the "standard" duty posts first -- science, engineering, tactical, etc. -- as our training scenarios are pre-determined. Rather than slow down the process at all, we sometimes give marine cadets either tactical or security, assuming there isn't already someone assigned to that role.

In the Academy we only use the standard duty posts. Those wanting to be Marines are therefore placed in security or tactical for training. ;)

Ok so, I am finding myself in a conundrum. Yes I love the trek. But I personally don't know how far to take it. Let me be clear. I have all the tech manuals, Ok most of them. I have the Federation of planets by-laws, Rules of acquisition And many other resources, in about 3-5 minutes i could give the basics of any engineering device know to the trek verse.Including the real life physics that it relates with. But how far should I take it, As a person I can piece together this piece of tech, this piece of tech and get this result I for one am able to devise modifications to some of the equipment so that it can be used in a manner its not intended. But how are these things done. Lets say by using the same method of sensor array modification that was used on many deflector dishes, I could modify a transport enhancer to emit a phaser burst in a 360 degree pattern.It would be a one time shot and the equipment would be useless afterwords. But it has not been done, and I know it would take some time to do it but how would I play that scene.

I know I am in training here, and I will not use those sort of actions during training but I wanted to know.

It's best to balance tech solutions between plausibility and drama. That is, you ask, "Is what you're about to do believable?" Then, and perhaps more importantly, you ask, "Is what you're about to do good/fun for the story?"

It's very likely if you sat down long enough you could come up with a way to solve most plot problems easily with a tech solution. However, this would be incredibly boring. Thus, maybe your innovative tech solution is just what your crew needs, but there's one major hangup. It's risky. It'll cost resources. It'll take another system offline, put something elseor someone elsein jeopardy. The point is that you include a consequence for what you're about to do that your fellow simmers can play off of and have fun with.

Perhaps your sensor modification will end up causing a radiation leak, so medical will need to get ready. Perhaps you can modify the transport enhancers to emit a phaser burst, but targeting will be limited and require the tactical officer to find another solution to make sure they can hit what they need. Try to involve your fellow writers and they'll enjoy your tech solutions even more because they'll be a part of it.

And as one of your training officers, I would highly encourage you to have fun exploring these sorts of actions during your training session. cool.png

Is it necessary to have Yahoo! to PBEM or can you use other providers?

You can use any email address provider you want to interface with the Yahoo! Groups email lists. For example, you can subscribe with a @gmail.com address, if you wanted to. Yahoo! Groups doesn't care what email address you receive emails at.

My training was due to start yesterday and I have not gotten any further info and I am unsure of what to do know... Can you please help me?

My training was due to start yesterday and I have not gotten any further info and I am unsure of what to do know... Can you please help me?

Checking on this now. :)

Looks like you were already added to the training list. Can you check your inbox and spam folder for an email titled "ROLL CALL"?

Your group CO will also be reaching out to you to help.

It has been a long time since I have set down to do any of this stuff, especially as a cadet. I am so looking forward to Monday. Is anyone that may be a trainer or member of my class, which starts Monday, perusing these forums?

There are three other cadets who are scheduled for your class. We don't announce the training officers to the Training Team until Monday morning, though ;)

If I want to graduate with honours, what would I have to do? Would I stay on in training longer than is normal? I am about to graduate you see.

Is there any thing I need to do before I join a training group?

Nope -- we'll contact you later today once the group starts!

If I want to graduate with honours, what would I have to do? Would I stay on in training longer than is normal? I am about to graduate you see.

We don't have any honors designation for training. However, your best sim is passed on to your placement commanding officer, so writing a really great sim for them to use in evaluating your skills goes a long way!

We don't have any honors designation for training. However, your best sim is passed on to your placement commanding officer, so writing a really great sim for them to use in evaluating your skills goes a long way!

Thanks Admiral!

Do you use stuff that voyager discovered in the delta quadrant?

Some of it. Our ships have ablative armor, for example, but nothing like what Voyager brought back. Some ships are also outfitted with quantum slipstream drive.

Although to my knowledge only one of them (The USS Excalibur) the only one with the slipstream drive. Which, by the way...I have no idea what it does. Then again...

"[....] it, Kali, I'm a doctor, not an Engineer!" -- I haven't said it yet, but I might one day.

Actually I know the Discovery is having one fit and that the Embassy's ship the Thunder has one. I think the Vigilant has one as well.

I only know for certain that SB118 Ops's ship, the Victory, hasn't had one fitted.

That's helpful.

Talk to your CO about that -- it's different for each ship :)

Hello All,

I just entered training and I am very bad at photoshop. To that end, I am wondering if there is a generator or somewhere that I can create a profile picture for my account. Any thoughts?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.