• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FltAdml. Wolf

Training Questions from Cadets

Cadets, if you have any questions for members of the UFoP:Starbase 118 fleet then by all means feel free to post them here.

No post here since 2007..is this a dead forum? How many active simmers does the fleet have? Which ships are the most active and with how many folks participating?

We have something like 100 active simmers, although this forum is only for cadets in training. As training sessions only last for a week or two and most questions are answered by the trainers, this thread doesn't see a lot of use!

Not sure which the most active ship is right now, but I'm sure someone will supply the answer shortly...

Which ships are the most active and with how many folks participating?

Most active simming sites are the Embassy (314 sims last month), the Independence (279 sims last month), and the Ronin (267 sims last month). Here's a chart showing last month's sim counts (although, Aurora's is a little off because the crew moved to a new vessel and we didn't include their new ship list in this chart):

post-22-0-32401500-1320979051_thumb.png

You can check out how many members each ship has on our Personnel Roster.

Which ships are the most active and with how many folks participating?

Most active simming sites are the Embassy (314 sims last month), the Independence (279 sims last month), and the Ronin (267 sims last month). Here's a chart showing last month's sim counts (although, Aurora's is a little off because the crew moved to a new vessel and we didn't include their new ship list in this chart):

post-22-0-32401500-1320979051_thumb.png

You can check out how many members each ship has on our Personnel Roster.

Woo Embassy!

The totals for October for the Aurora and the Avandar is 326 posts, that is if we're allowed to combine the ships posting for the month.

The totals for October for the Aurora and the Avandar is 326 posts, that is if we're allowed to combine the ships posting for the month.

Good point, I forgot about that!

Hello there im currently in training doing the Starbase 22 mission. I guess my question is this. What level of involvement is considered to involved? What I mean is I have a lot of creative(well I think they are anyway)ideas running through my head. Lately I have started wondering if maybe my sims are starting to unduly influence the direction of the overall mission. The last thing I want to do is create animosity or to make the other cadets think im just trying to dictate everything. Granted thus far I believe my instructors are okay with my contributions. But I also realize that im not the only Cadet. So if any of my fellow cadets feel that im trying to take control I apologize. Sometimes I have a hard time shutting my mind off. Also I apologize for my profile pic its the most recent pic I have taken in Afghanistan.

Honestly, the best thing any player can do is contribute ideas. The main thing is to make sure you're not putting them forward in a way that dictates everyone else's actions -- you want to make sure that while you're giving the others things to react to, you're not basically forcing them into one possible reaction. And you haven't been doing that, so don't worry :)

Hello there im currently in training doing the Starbase 22 mission. I guess my question is this. What level of involvement is considered to involved? What I mean is I have a lot of creative(well I think they are anyway)ideas running through my head. Lately I have started wondering if maybe my sims are starting to unduly influence the direction of the overall mission. The last thing I want to do is create animosity or to make the other cadets think im just trying to dictate everything. Granted thus far I believe my instructors are okay with my contributions. But I also realize that im not the only Cadet. So if any of my fellow cadets feel that im trying to take control I apologize. Sometimes I have a hard time shutting my mind off. Also I apologize for my profile pic its the most recent pic I have taken in Afghanistan.

It's a very difficult line to walk, and it will take you time to learn how to do it right. Unlike writing your own fiction, now you're part of a team and everyone wants to get their share of the action.

If you spend too much time advancing the plot, then others will feel like you're "powersimming". But if you don't push the plot forward at all, then you're really not contributing to the overall arc and driving the action forward. When too few people on the crew push the plot forward, simming tends to slow down, and people get really bored.

Your best bet, for the first few weeks on the ship, are to talk to your mentor or First Officer about any ideas that might change the plot. The staff of the ship (your mentor, the FO, the CO) are always happy to help you get a better handle on what the plan for the plot is, and how you can contribute your ideas.

Also, watch others on the crew. They will give you an idea of what the acceptable pace is.

Generally, if you're looking to sim a lot, you'll want to request a faster ship. You'll have the option to do this in your training group in the next day or so on the placement questionnaire.

On "filling-in the blanks".

Are we supposed to answer all tags and provide all responses, even when action has driven plot further? For example:

X: Johnny, do you want to go and buy candybar?

Johnny: response

(delay)

::All the party hopped into the car and drove away::

Now poor Johnny did not answer in time, because he was sleeping IRL at the time. The situation, as described, isn't critical, but what if some responses could be plot/subplot vehicles? If Johnny filled all the blanks retroactively, he could cause serious continuity problems. If he didn't, he would seem nothing more than a dummy. Or he could race to advance the plot aggressively much like a person that dozed through the meeting only to start furious activity at the end of meeting 'to compensate'.

The question is hypothetical. My current simming experience is excellent. But I'd like to hear from experienced people.

Hello Cadet Foster,

Great questions! On a faster simming ship, a writer waits 48-72 hours for a tagged writer to respond, and it’s often closer to the 48 hours. On an average simming speed ship, a writer waits 72 hours for a tagged writer to respond. That’s a fair amount of time for the tagged writer to contribute to the story, but if they are busy IRL and no response is given within those times frames, the other writers in the group can move the story forward, still giving everyone in the group an opportunity to add to it. When the tagged writer can respond again and it’s after 72 hours, it is often best for them to just answer the most recent tags for their character. They could go back and answer the older tags to express their character’s personality or to make a point they think is important, but as you said, it wouldn’t be good to respond to those older tags and cause continuity problems.

- LtCmdr. Miles Unum

Thank you!

48 hours are more than sufficient. Training sims, as I undestand, are much more intensive.

I have another question, though. I've observed two methods of response to tags: 1) literally to fill in the blanks and repost the whole episode (usually initiated by CO or FO); 2) post only personal input (actions, thoughts and speech) as a response. Which is more acceptable?

The first one seems to be preferable if everyone follow the same procedure and work on the last full copy submitted, gradually filling all the blanks. The second one (probably) needs to do some client-side compilation (or good memory), but is much faster to catch-up and prevents reading same content over and over again. I've read people sometimes are assembling the narrative in Word or other program to better follow the plot and interactions.

Hello all,

I was wondering when we [cadets] would be granted access to the UPDS. Does that come when we've been assigned to a ship?

Thank you!

48 hours are more than sufficient. Training sims, as I undestand, are much more intensive.

I have another question, though. I've observed two methods of response to tags: 1) literally to fill in the blanks and repost the whole episode (usually initiated by CO or FO); 2) post only personal input (actions, thoughts and speech) as a response. Which is more acceptable?

The first one seems to be preferable if everyone follow the same procedure and work on the last full copy submitted, gradually filling all the blanks. The second one (probably) needs to do some client-side compilation (or good memory), but is much faster to catch-up and prevents reading same content over and over again. I've read people sometimes are assembling the narrative in Word or other program to better follow the plot and interactions.

Each post you write should come from your character's point of view. If there is something, like a descriptive block of text, that another writer uses to go through what their character was thinking or feeling, you should not include that in your post since your character wouldn't be privy to that information. You can, and are indeed encouraged, to rewrite or create your own descriptives that describe the same event from your own character's point of view. For example, if in one sim a character describes shifting around because they are thinking about something uncomfortable, then in your sim you can write a descriptive block that notes how your own character notices the other character shifting in a nervous manner.

You should always remove the descriptive blocks that other writers put in their sims so that the sim you send out is entirely your own. (Obviously, this doesn't apply to things that every character is aware of like sounds, alerts, and dialogue, though you should always react from your own point of view).

You can use Word, or a blank email, to compile your new sim using parts from multiple other sims. Be careful if you use Word though, as it often puts in invisible code that causes some formatting errors in some email programs.

Hello all,

I was wondering when we [cadets] would be granted access to the UPDS. Does that come when we've been assigned to a ship?

Yes -- once you've assigned to a ship, you'll receive an automatic email with UPDS login info.

Thank you sir!

I was wonderinf when My traning would begin I have had no word yet about it it

Training sessions usually start on a Monday, once there are enough Cadets to get underway.

I'll let someone from the Training Team give you a more accurate update however!

Training sessions usually start on a Monday, once there are enough Cadets to get underway.

I'll let someone from the Training Team give you a more accurate update however!

Yup, always on Mondays -- you can see the date listed here, as well: http://www.starbase1...p-introduction/ under "Q. When is the next training group?"

You should start receiving mail/information by Monday afternoon, at the latest.

I'm just in the middle of training and I'm afraid that I have missed something, when adding (responding to tags) do I need to copy what has been writing before or can I write my own version of what was written before moving on?

I'm just in the middle of training and I'm afraid that I have missed something, when adding (responding to tags) do I need to copy what has been writing before or can I write my own version of what was written before moving on?

You're encouraged not to copy what has been written before, and instead write your own version :)

Thank you.

As Admiral Wolf said, it's always better to either re-write what has been written before from your own character's point of view, or move the sim along (if there's nothing that's relevant to your character).

For example, quite often on sim set on the Bridge, the captain or first officer will give out many orders at once to many different characters. Unless your character is the type to listen to every word spoken (which he/she may well be, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing) then it's better to snip out the bits that don't apply to you, and only include the bits that do.

Other character's thoughts (anything written between "oO Oo" tags) should never be copied into your own sim (unless you're a telepath and can read them, and even then you'd usually only do that if it was relevant to your sim).

Short "emote" type descriptions before/between speech is ok to leave in. For example:

Brown: ::Grinning:: You sure know how to turn a phrase. ::He turned to the medical officer:: If you run out of scalpels, you could always use Michelle's wit!

I'd keep that whole line in, because you can't really re-write any of the action text from your character's point of view. That's just... what happened. However, in the below example:

Turner: Captain! Two Breen fighters off the starboard bow! ::The young helmsman panicked as he wondered what to do next. He thought of his fledgling family back home on Earth, and closed his eyes taking a deep breath to steady himself, though he couldn't stop the quiver in his voice.:: O-Orders, s-sir?

Personally I would remove all of the action text there, as your character would not know exactly what was going through Turner's mind (unless, as mentioned above, you happen to be a telepath, and even then you'd experience it differently). However, it would be obvious to your character (unless he was particularly imperceptive) that Turner was panicking, so you might replace it with something like

Turner: Captain! Two Breen fighters off the starboard bow! ::Turner seemed nervous.:: O-Orders, s-sir?

Definitely use the other sims as a starting point though; don't just ignore what other people have written, of course. If your character was drinking alone in a bar and somebody else simmed a fight breaking out nearby, even if your character wasn't interested in taking part you wouldn't just ignore it in your next sim. You'd mention it occurred and your character's reaction to it from his point of view (maybe he really doesn't care and hardly reacts at all, but he would still know it was happening).

Obviously, you have to copy and paste other simmers actual speech (when it's relevant to your sim - don't copy speech that your character could not have heard, or would not have listened in on) and fill in your tags, but as a general rule the less other text you copy from the previous sim, the better.

Thank you very much for your advice Necessity.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.