• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

[2008: NOV-DEC] Writing Challenge Discussion

Jordan aka FltAdmlWolf

Have added this to the Members Area community news...

Interesting topic, I must say. What era would the civil war be in; what starts it, who's on what side... Dare I ask; which Federation? :devil:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you just listed off writers & poets Ethan (I had to translate Homer & Virgil from Latin to English as part of my GCSEs!), while Llewelyn listed philosophers...

Why are we talking Classics?

Edited by Salak

Because they're Classics! I know they were writers, but it doesn't make them any less great :laugh2: where would we be without a bit of randomness?

And on the writing challenge board, isn't it inspirational writers we should look to? :cool4:

I"m glad I didn't read this thread before I wrote mine. I think I may have chickened out. But I got inspired to write it before the holiday rush struck me.

HUGE topic this time, my problem has been trying to work out where to focus my attention. but potentially you could write something really quite epic with a topic like this.

• 2 weeks later...

Jhenny, Jhenny, Jhenny... I got it done... All it takes is determination and great characters to propell the story... Not sure I had that second bit, but I did get it done.

P.S. What do you think Toni, are we gonna have any more competition? Or is Christmas gonna leave us lonely?

Edited by Lt. Jack Kolk

*grumble grumble* Award nominations, SOFTA pieces, OOC stuff, RL problems (hence LOA)... Nothing from me this time.

And no, not even trying to put an entry together.

Drat. I'm getting near the end, but I'm already well over 3000 words! That means I have to start killing some of my babies, and I hate killing my babies. Anyone else have this problem?

* For anyone who doesn't know, that is just writer speak for cutting some beautiful, lovely words out of my story. I'm really not sadistic. At least when it comes to babies.

Grumble, grumble, Christmas, grumble, grumble, not enough time...

Bah Hum bug! Whatcha grumbling about, Jhen. You have a few more days to shop.

Feedback: The Cost of the Greater Good by Lieutenant (Jg) Iolo Madoc Llewelyn

Wow... Just... Wow...

Our current mission deals with a civil war on a planet, so this topic is a fitting one for my character and personal thoughts. You gave me some good, devious ideas, that had I not been mid-mission, would have made a good thought process. I especially liked the way that you developed the story, telling it from the point of two brothers, a most used thought in civil war stories. One area that I struggled with was the formatting of the story - it was a bit mushed together, but that is more a cosmetic thing than a stylistic thing at all. Essentially, what really did it for me was the humanity of the two characters; you could really understand and believe their point of view and that they thought it was the right. That's something that just about any story dealing with a Civil War follows: I am right, you are wrong.

Fantastic story!

Thanks for the kind words. Working within the constraints of 3000 words its hard sometimes to make it all fit together nicely, but as a descendent of a family that was ripped apart by the American Civil War, and the aftermath during reconstruction, for me it boiled down to that very basic personal cost issue. Of course I've always wanted to explore the possibility that maybe the Needs of the Many doctrine, which is in essence purely democratic, had terrible costs for those in the minority within the Federation. I thought it was dramatic as well that the Starfleet marines now are a recognized and supported element within the UFOP, and therefore could be used in the story. What is so dramatic about the inclusion of the Marine element to the story is the idea that the Marines are Always Faithful. The idea of Marines fighting Marines in a civil war is ultimately tragic, and frought with mental and emotional gymnastics, and that was one thing I wanted to bring across. The thing that brought it all together was imagining what the exchange between Ulysses S. Grant and Robert E. Lee must have been like at Appamattox. Both men had served in the Mexican American War, with distinction, and both were West Pointers. Additionally, both had been doing their best to kill old friends and relatives up until that moment. I'm glad you liked the story.

Edited by Iolo Madoc Llewelyn

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.