• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

[2008: MAR-APR] Writing Challenge Discussion

Jordan aka FltAdmlWolf

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

::little dance:: YAY! :biggrin2:

Golden Path huh? well this could be a very varied round!

And kudos to the Admiral for his timing. Considering you're patching the website and forums back together I'm doubly impressed!

If I think of something (and I just got a vague idea what the title might mean) to enter, I might actually make the deadline this time... :wink3:

...well, we can hope. :whistling:

EDIT: Oh, and kudos to the Admiral too, yup! :wolfy:

EDIT2: *stumbles across Dunes' Golden Path on Wikipedia trying to find out the equivelant of Path in Latin and/or Ancient Greek* ...I'll guess that'd be where the challenge title idea came from? :) I'll read/watch Dune at some point, I've still only played one of the computer games. [Emperor: Battle for Dune if anyone's curious]

Edited by Salak

I think I have a workable idea. I just hope it does not stray too far from the topic. But there is only one way to find out, right?

I look forward to reading what everyone else comes up with.

If I think of something (and I just got a vague idea what the title might mean) to enter, I might actually make the deadline this time... :wink3:

...well, we can hope. :whistling:

EDIT: Oh, and kudos to the Admiral too, yup! :wolfy:

EDIT2: *stumbles across Dunes' Golden Path on Wikipedia trying to find out the equivelant of Path in Latin and/or Ancient Greek* ...I'll guess that'd be where the challenge title idea came from? :) I'll read/watch Dune at some point, I've still only played one of the computer games. [Emperor: Battle for Dune if anyone's curious]

Actually no, not the inspiration :) The challenge winner who's choosing the next challenge's theme gets to pick from about five. To get those five, I just free-associate, group similar themes, and then separate them into challenge rounds. (i.e.- a set of "objects" for one round, a set of "X or Y" for another round, etc.) "The Golden Path" was (apparently) the most interesting of the themes I presented to Falcon, which all started with "The..." I don't want to give away too much more, though, because the other themes might show up in the future.

So it doesn't really "mean" anything. Don't try to put too much thought into the background of the theme -- you'll lose the spirit of the challenge that way ;)

Duly noted. Not having read dune or anything, I didn't even skim the Golden Path article. I'm thinking more Nebulae and sunrises at the sec :)

After all, the Latin for Gold (Aureus) translates literally as "Shining Dawn" :)

I wasn't sure which of the new buttons to use, but I used the one that indicated an arrow. If that is not the correct one for a completed manuscript, would someone let me know?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks about right :rolleyes7: Toni

but what does the post Icon do in this thread if used

Ahhh that is what it does...

I hope I'm not to late, I've thought of a decent plot that might enthrall ya'll. Ima have a crack at this, though, with names like toni turner, Im still an under dog :P

Names like Toni Turner should not bother you. She is just a writer, and so are you. Besides, you don't look like a under dog. Your picture on your posts looks down right "catty." *lol* I can't wait to read your story. :biggrin2:

Hope to get some work done on an entry on the Train on Friday, maybe again on the train back on Monday... in between having my head buried in Astronomy Now and National Geographic magazines :)

Might actually finish my entry before the deadline for once? :)

I was in a writing mood with the challenge was posted on the March 5, and got mine out by the 13th, but then I shoot from the hip and never do outlines. I choose a basic title, and then let the words take the story where it wants to go. May sound crude to many, but then I don't have a formal education past high school and it was the way I taught myself to do it.

Might actually finish my entry before the deadline for once? :)

Salak in 'actually submitting story' shocker.

i've got an idea, started writing it a while ago and seem to have tailed off. i'll put some time aside this week, see if i can get something finished.

toni - sounds like a great way to write to me! I sometimes need to jot down some extra details (character names and suchlike) before i can get going, otherwise i tend to keep ideas bouncing around in my head but it's not utill i actually start writing that they come together.

Edited by Jhen Thelev

Rough idea in the head, then sit down writing? Sounds about right to me. Although, oddly my very first Writing Contest entry did actually have a written outline first. But I swear that was a fluke. No, the "skeleton" this time is just in my head. Unfortunately he's staying there. Grrr. I'll scare him out one of these days.

I tend to get the outline in my head, commit it to paper so I don't forget it, then add to it with other ideas. The final story comes out of that melting pot.

Or with sims, I write pretty much the first thing into my head, with the "Vulcanise" checker running in my head as I do so. :) It's led to a few... non-fluid reading bits of description recently though.

Edited by Salak

Jhen Thelev Posted Today, 04:10 PM

toni - sounds like a great way to write to me! I sometimes need to jot down some extra details (character names and suchlike) before i can get going, otherwise i tend to keep ideas bouncing around in my head but it's not utill i actually start writing that they come together.

I don't choose the final name's for the characters until the story is completed. This gives me the option of writing "Ann" but if she turns out to be a Brandy, then I can change it easily. It's like the Klingon story I wrote last year that won. The story started out as to be about Terrans, but the Klingon characters evovle in the writing. I don't set anything in stone.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.