• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FltAdml. Wolf

Why did you apply to join our community?

Unfortunately, the last thread under this name was lost due to an error on my part. After a spammer posted two virus links in separate threads, I meant to delete ONE post from the thread under this name, and delete the "other" entire thread he created. I did it in reverse, though :-\

Anyway, let's start a new thread! Just tell us why you applied to join our community over any other group on the net :)

I missed this place.

It was a fun atmosphere to both strengthen my writing skills AND a great atmosphere to exude all my Star Trek knowledge!

Now that I have more time to write without school being such an issue, I can get back to having fun!

I actually never did an RPG before, and was rather curios how it would be. And of course I love Star Trek. After visiting a few inactive/ugly sites I ran into this one. I liked the academy idea and everything looks very work out and organized.

Guest D'Vor

I used to play D&D in the early 80's and I loved the role playing and interaction with peers. I'm working on becoming a writer (I've written a non-fiction book (cf. http://stanshinn.com/web-project-survival-guide/)), and I'm now working on a science fantasy novel, similar to the Pern series). I remember hearing about BPEM role playing, so I did a bunch of Google searching on it. SB118 kept showing up as a top site, and I finally chose SB118 over Borderlands (my second choice) when I saw Alexa.com rated it the top visited PBEM Trek site.

Essentially, I want to write a lot to become a great writer; Star Trek PBEM is a great way to have fun AND to hone my writing skills.

Up until a few years ago I was very active in the 'PBEM scene', especially in the Star Trek genre. I even ran two sims of my own: the USS Ajax (Prometheus class) and the USS Illustrious (Patton Class Fighter Carrier) in a group that was big back then (AES). I was surfing around a bit and when I stumbled upon this website I thought 'Ah, what the heck'.

So here I am, trying to rediscover an old hobby :-)

This site was recommended by a friend who is on these forums. I have played in a number of fantasy RPG's (mostly D&D) and have even done some Sci-Fi RPG's. I am currently in a quite socially isolated area of the world (increased by my lack of knowing the language, not to say I plan on participating only while I am here) and so thought I might like to join the community here and get involved. I know little about StarTrek but from what I have seen it is very good at being internally consistent. I enjoy new worlds and new characters.

Looks like I'm not following the pattern here. After extensive searching I found that what I wanted in a rpg group was:

Exclusively Play by Email role playing. (I just find groups with mixed mediums are always slanting toward the chat/forum/IM based role players while PbEM simmers are ignored.)
    Exclusively Star Trek based role playing.
    Strong group structure.
    A number of active groups.
    Professional web site.
    A training/academy phase upon joining.

The wiki, forum and other resources are a huge boon as far as I'm concerned but still it was another subtle attraction being able to read through people's detailed biographies and trying to second guess which ship you may end up being posted to.

All in all I'm looking forward to getting into the thick of things.

Looks like I'm not following the pattern here. After extensive searching I found that what I wanted in a rpg group was:

Exclusively Play by Email role playing. (I just find groups with mixed mediums are always slanting toward the chat/forum/IM based role players while PbEM simmers are ignored.)
    Strong group structure.
    Professional web site.

The wiki, forum and other resources are a huge boon as far as I'm concerned but still it was another subtle attraction being able to read through people's detailed biographies and trying to second guess which ship you may end up being posted to.

Hi, our forums are just an extra perk to our email siming. :) And we are glad to have you come to us for membership. I'm sure you will not be disappointed :smilie2:

Strong group structure.
    Professional web site.

It's nice to see that you regard us so highly. I certainly hope we can live up to your expectations ;)

I'm completely new to the world of simming and was keen to give it a whirl. I looked around bunch of places, got incredibly confused and then found this site. I'm really enjoying my cadet mission this week and so thanks everyone for helping me learn how this all works and making it so much fun :biggrin2:

I found this place via google. I was looking for a PBeM RPG that had a good number of ships and an up to date and current website to show me that the fleet was active. I also checked out some of the articles to see the quality of writing (which is excellent, aside from a few minor punctuation errors). Your admissions form was complex, and I appreciated that you require a certain number of words for the example post, which told me that you do turn people down who aren't willing to make the beginning effort, but that you're also very willing to teach those who want to learn, and don't judge.

I kind of feel like I over-analyzed, but *shrugs* that's how I am and what I've got. :biggrin2: Hope it helps.

I found this place via google. I was looking for a PBeM RPG that had a good number of ships and an up to date and current website to show me that the fleet was active. I also checked out some of the articles to see the quality of writing (which is excellent, aside from a few minor punctuation errors). Your admissions form was complex, and I appreciated that you require a certain number of words for the example post, which told me that you do turn people down who aren't willing to make the beginning effort, but that you're also very willing to teach those who want to learn, and don't judge.

I kind of feel like I over-analyzed, but *shrugs* that's how I am and what I've got. :biggrin2: Hope it helps.

Please pass on any errors you found on the site. We'll gladly get them updated ;)

(You can Private Message me here, or e-mail me at t.wolf@starbase118.net.)

I found this community while looking for more creative outlets. I'm a member of http://piptalk.com 's online poetry/writing comunity but at that place I tend to write mostly abstract stuff. I love Star Trek and I have enjoyed doing story-writing games online in the past. So I thought I'd try you guys out. I appreciate the amount of effort you put into encouraging correct grammar (my application used the passive voice by mistake in the wrapup of the story :( ) and serious thought in applications. This gave me the idea that you guys must take this very seriously.

Guest Jennia Eren

I am giving one last chance to find a good place to sim.

I have tried different ones over many years, which ended in me usually being ignored as for some reason (though I don't know why)

So hoping to have fun here.

I am giving one last chance to find a good place to sim.

I have tried different ones over many years, which ended in me usually being ignored as for some reason (though I don't know why)

So hoping to have fun here.

I"m sure you will find our group warm and friendly. We welcome your sims, and I believe you will find that we don't intentionally ignore anyone. :smilie2:

This is pretty much my last attempt at SIMming.

I've don so in the past over AOL ... but to many complaints of my characters no tbeing good enough, or they were ignored, or what ever the case.

So I'm trying one last time to see.

I have lots of great ideas. I'm also trying Lotus Fleet's Academy for fun. And I'm also interested in getting into ST:O when it comes out.

This is pretty much my last attempt at SIMming.

I've don so in the past over AOL ... but to many complaints of my characters no tbeing good enough, or they were ignored, or what ever the case.

So I'm trying one last time to see.

I have lots of great ideas. I'm also trying Lotus Fleet's Academy for fun. And I'm also interested in getting into ST:O when it comes out.

I'm sure you will do well. :) Glad you found us.

Edited by Toni

Indeed -- sorry about the form issues on our site! We're working hard to get that fixed ;)

I came to this SIM group because it reminded me of what I was looking for when I was younger. I used to be on the AQSG (Alpha Quadrant Sim Group) when they had the Cadet Training Starship named the USS San Fransisco. This is the best group that I have seen yet!!! :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

I came to this SIM group because it reminded me of what I was looking for when I was younger. I used to be on the AQSG (Alpha Quadrant Sim Group) when they had the Cadet Training Starship named the USS San Fransisco. This is the best group that I have seen yet!!! :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Glad you are enjoying it, Tina. :) Great to have you with us. :smilie2:

Guest Ralik
I found this place via google. I was looking for a PBeM RPG that had a good number of ships and an up to date and current website to show me that the fleet was active. I also checked out some of the articles to see the quality of writing. Your admissions form was complex, and I appreciated that you require a certain number of words for the example post, which told me that you do turn people down who aren't willing to make the beginning effort, but that you're also very willing to teach those who want to learn, and don't judge.

This was pretty much the story with me also. I haven't SIMmed before and after a month or two of casual research looking at what for the most part were carbon copy SIM's of each other, I found this one which stood out instantly. I've had a couple of characters floating around in my head for a while and figured I'd make an attempt at bringing them to life [one at a time and no more than three of course I don't want to break the rules :wink3: ]

I loved the idea of the 250 word narrative for the same reason, that it filtered out the lack of effort which to me meant the content inside would be of a noticeable higher quality. I initially thought I might find it tough to make up a 250 word story on the spot but once I got started I got right into it and ended up writing about 500 haha (sorry for going overboard to whomever had to read it) much like I'm doing with this post. I think the problem you're going to have with me is trying to get me to shut up.

I'm now fairly eager to start my training after the weekend. Looking forward to it.

Actually i was in one of those lets see if i can find a trek game out there i can play and did a search on trek games and found a web site that ms. turner seems to post on about simming and it brought a memory of back in the day when it really was PBM . i wanted to try it out back then and decided hey what the heck ill give it a try. my story wasnt up in the 500 words range or more thats for sure not that good a writer or speller tell the truth but that didnt stop me and sence i got an acceptance guess it wasnt as bad as it could have been.

I joined because I would like to increase my writing skills and honestly wanted to try something different. All I can say is that I have never simmed this way but it all should be interesting. Anyone here ever thought about an MIRC chat room for regs. I have seen some awesome RGP rooms where people go in as characters rather than themselves, but anyway glad to be here.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.