• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FltAdml. Wolf

Questions about our group

Question

Want a question answered about our community before you apply? Ask it here!

249 answers to this question

I joined back in August. I'm not really a combat heavy rper either. I much prefer character development and exploration. That's not to say I won't ever, and I don't mind combat rp from time to time, I just don't want it to be the combat channel: all combat, all the time.

I've yet to be involved in any sort of combat rp at all. Since I'm coming up to my third month here, I'd say that this fits my criteria and yours. :)

I just don't want it to be the combat channel: all combat, all the time.

Thanks, FltAdml. Wolf and Alora! I won't mind combat if it comes up occasionally as a plot device. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the primary/dominant plot device around here.

Everyone has already been so friendly. I'm looking forward to starting my training!

• Like 1

I just don't want it to be the combat channel: all combat, all the time.

Thanks, FltAdml. Wolf and Alora! I won't mind combat if it comes up occasionally as a plot device. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the primary/dominant plot device around here.

Everyone has already been so friendly. I'm looking forward to starting my training!

Just to reinforce that, over a year (about 1 year 5/6 months) and my character has only been involved in any combat at all once and even then it was only (rather uselessly) firing at some enemies with a phaser.

Not to sound like Captain Obvious here, but the amount of combat in your life seems to really be about what department you're in. Granted, a hostile situation doesn't always stay contained in Security and Tactical. However, if you select Engineering/Medical/Science as your fields then I think you'll be satisfied with the amount of non-combat work you get to do.

A'ern, you do have a point, but no one on my ship has seen any combat since I've joined. Not that it's been dull! :) It just seems that SB118 focuses on plot, development, and exploration more than hack and slash. That, in my mind, is a wonderful thing. :-D

• Like 1

In the 1 1/2 years I am in the group I have *seen* combat, but I never had to write any. It is not only ship and position, but also if you choose to participate. When a scene begins where combat happens you can still choose to just lie down on your belly waiting that the phaser fire stops or just retreat because i.e. it's not your job. ;)

I have only been a member for a little more than a month, but in general I have been simming Trek for the better part of 12 years. That, combined with reading my ships archives I would say that combat, while it exists, is not emphasized - and this is pretty standard for most 'canonical' (as in based on the canon themes of Star Trek) sims out there.

Combat in an PbEM sim is used for dramatic effect rather than a game mechanic. It's not "Dungeons and Dragons" and you don't get XP for fighting and killing something ;-) In a Trek game you advance by writing well, writing consistently, helping explore and contribute to missions and by interacting with your fellow crewmates.

So far on SB118 I have only see people get into combat / get injured in combat that they wrote about. Meaning the writer chose to put their character into combat and play out the effects. That said, combat has not been a main focus on any mission I have played or read about, but it comes up from a reasonable in character conflict with a hostile force. And even then, those people who like to write about combat write about it and those who don't stay out of it and either concentrate on another part of the mission or they assist their crewmates who are in combat without fighting themselves.

That said, the main focus on the missions I have played on is usually 'solve this mystery' or 'explore this place' and combat is a peripheral thing that crops up, not a goal.

I agree with the others. I've been with SB118 off and on for years and I can say combat is not a primary here, though you will certainly find some ships that do far more combat than others. I believe you find a wide variety of missions. Like Sal, I prefer 'solve this mystery' or 'explore this place' with combat as a last resort type scenario and that's exactly what I've been doing over the last several months. I can't remember when my current ship last had a full blown combat scenario... actually I don't think we have since I've been on board.

Edited by Kieran

I agree with the others. I've been with SB118 off and on for years and I can say combat is not a primary here, though you will certainly find some ships that do far more combat than others. I believe you find a wide variety of missions. Like Sal, I prefer 'solve this mystery' or 'explore this place' with combat as a last resort type scenario and that's exactly what I've been doing over the last several months. I can't remember when my current ship last had a full blown combat scenario... actually I don't think we have since I've been on board.

To Kieran's point ... our Chief Tactical Officer has yet to fire a weapon! That doesn't mean he doesn't stay busy, though.

To Kieran's point ... our Chief Tactical Officer has yet to fire a weapon! That doesn't mean he doesn't stay busy, though.

All true. I admit I was surprised since I got to full Lieutenant and Chief without ever being in a fight.

Although there has been some fighting I have yet to be directly involved.

For one reason or another I never fired, fought, hit or even threw a bad word... No, wait, that last one I did... But all the rest I am still waiting for a chance to do.

There's a couple of routes for this.

One is NPC ships. These are ships that are creations of regular players, with the permission of their commanding officers, for the purposes of simming the plotline. For example, the USS Wellington has been used by a couple of different groups for a couple uses, most recently to tow the USS Ronin back to a shipyard to be repaired.

The other way, which I think is the one you're asking about, is becoming your own captain. After you go through the ranks, are approved for your own command and promoted to Captain, you may propose your own ship to the fleet. Usually canon ship classes take less work to get approved, but other non-canon ships have been in the fleet. Examples include the Achilles-class and the Ronin-class. To become a captain in your own right takes a lot of time and work. My path took about 5 years.

Hope this helps.

HMMM its something to contemplate making captain. I have an idea for a ship, and a crew that goes back to the days of the "Perimeter Action Ships", and the Akyazi, Arbitur, class ships. Small 70 man ships able to warp at more than WF 15, included is a Cloaking devices (yes they had them)....And being a Elasian/Human now in charge of her own ship, the possibilities of doing more things begins to intrigue me....

I was wonderding how long is cadet training??? And a weird question is it okay to say hell or damn like they did in the actual star trek series??? (I know very cheesy but i wants to know) o_O

Edited by Alakay Maddix

Just now, Alakay Maddix said:

I was wonderding how long is cadet training??? And a weird questions is it okay to say hell or damn like they did in the actual star trek series??? (I know very cheesy but i wants to know) o_O

Training starts on Monday and will last about 6-9 days. Usually they last about 7, but sometimes we extend them a little if necessary.

We've always said our rating is "PG-13," but I think in practice it ends up being more like "PG." So damn, and hell, are both fine when used in moderation. Stronger language is generally frowned-upon.

Well its fun that we are accepted (both Lunarstar and myself) into this fine community, but we do have some questions.

• We looked at the FAQ and received our mails that we begin 2 august our training. Now we also saw in the FAQ that a training can take 6 to 10 days. That might be a problem for us (our fault a bit),  as we are going on vacation for 5 days on 8 august. How can we resolve this the best way? (We wish to be part of the cadet course 2 august anyway)
  • I saw that the bio requires to be send towards the Training instructor, now I noticed that both Lunarstar and I got two different trainers. Will this also be the case in the training day itself?
  • Okay so previous group experience does not count, don't mind that but how does your promotion ladder work if I might be daring to ask?
  • Will there be enough to write about or is it something you need to come up for yourself? So as Science Officer do I have to invest a lot of creativity into my post or do I get details that I can work with?
  • While I am used to NOVA system (PBWeb), I wonder how joint posting work in regards of posting in email list? (I presume I get the obvious answer back...you learn this in the academy :P
  • How does assignment go when done with the Academy? Does the trainer pick a place for us or do we have a say in it?
  • How many members or players does each sim have actually?

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, RaWolf said:
  • We looked at the FAQ and received our mails that we begin 2 august our training. Now we also saw in the FAQ that a training can take 6 to 10 days. That might be a problem for us (our fault a bit),  as we are going on vacation for 5 days on 8 august. How can we resolve this the best way? (We wish to be part of the cadet course 2 august anyway)

You'll need to be around for the whole training to pass. Most trainings last about 7 days. Once training this week starts tomorrow (Monday), the other on Tuesday. 

1 hour ago, RaWolf said:
  • I saw that the bio requires to be send towards the Training instructor, now I noticed that both Lunarstar and I got two different trainers. Will this also be the case in the training day itself?

You'll send your bio into the training class list. 

1 hour ago, RaWolf said:
  • Okay so previous group experience does not count, don't mind that but how does your promotion ladder work if I might be daring to ask?

You may find this resource helpful: http://wiki.starbase118.net/wiki/index.php/Promotions

1 hour ago, RaWolf said:
  • Will there be enough to write about or is it something you need to come up for yourself? So as Science Officer do I have to invest a lot of creativity into my post or do I get details that I can work with?

Each ship has its own ongoing plot. So your character will plug into the plot. Consider, for example, any Star Trek show – the helm officer would have some time sitting at their bridge station, taking orders or getting the ship moved from one place or another. But he or she would also have a secondary plot about what they're doing off-duty, or what personal issues they have going on. It's a lot like that in simming – your character will have times when they're simming as part of the mission to get the ship out of trouble or whatnot, but you'll also have the personal viewpoint of your character outside of their duty post. 

Of course you'll want to invest a lot of creativity into what you're doing :)  But there's a framework to work from so you're not doing all the "heavy lifting" of creating the plot by yourself. 

1 hour ago, RaWolf said:
  • While I am used to NOVA system (PBWeb), I wonder how joint posting work in regards of posting in email list? (I presume I get the obvious answer back...you learn this in the academy :P

We don't talk about joint simming in training as that's a little more advanced. As we don't use NOVA here, you simply send your sims into the email list. Then you read what others write, and send in another sim that integrates what others are doing.

If you want to sim directly with someone else, there are various tactics. Some folks find it easiest to create a Google Doc, write out their portion, and then the other person fills in theirs. Other people like to connect via IRC or instant messenger and create a sim together "live." 

1 hour ago, RaWolf said:
  • How does assignment go when done with the Academy? Does the trainer pick a place for us or do we have a say in it?

You'll be asked to fill out a questionnaire that helps us understand your preferences in terms of duty posts and how much you want to sim. Then we'll place you based on what's available around the fleet. 

We generally do not allow specific placement requests unless you know someone simming on a specific vessel and want to sim with them. If you and Lunarstar want to be placed together, we ask that you please be flexible in terms of what duty post you're willing to sim – it's likely one of you will have to take your second choice duty post. 

1 hour ago, RaWolf said:
  • How many members or players does each sim have actually?

Most of our simming installations have 10-12 "full-time" simmers (people simming 3+ times a week), and then three to five "part-time" or "occasional" simmers (people who sim less than 3 times a week). 

Thank you for answering the questions :) thought we start  Tuesday and that might be a problem when we leave next week monday. But we might take a laptop with us if we dont make it. 

I keep getting those questions in mind, well it is healthy to have question or life itself might get boring no? I saw here and there the terms Dyson Sphere and images of STO ships. Does this mean we use STO stories in this community as well? Just wondering of course :)

Just now, RaWolf said:

I keep getting those questions in mind, well it is healthy to have question or life itself might get boring no? I saw here and there the terms Dyson Sphere and images of STO ships. Does this mean we use STO stories in this community as well? Just wondering of course :)

STO ships yes, STO timeline/story, no. 

The STO screenshots are just a good way to show a ship that doesn't have a lot of screen time, or are purely B-canon. For example, the TV shows and movies don't make reference to Vestas or Lunas, but they exist in books and STO.

I have a couple of questions! 

I was looking through the various ship RPG logs, and I noticed that a lot of threads have a whole lot of this:

:: Person A doing some action::

PERSON B: ?

PERSON A: Yeah, sure, that's fine.

PERSON A: Hahaha... I definitely agree!

This seems to be a huge thing in those logs. Am I reading this right? Does this mean that people are just starting logs and getting no response so they simply continue as if there was someone else there?

I guess my main concerns are that firstly, that's a lonely way to play. And secondly, it kind of misses the point of RPG if there isn't another person to play off of. If I'm just going to imagine what the other person might respond and act accordingly, why not just write a story out with both characters?

Or have I been reading the logs all wrong? Because this is something I've seen all over the place on pretty much every ship or base.

This is the way we write our sims (RP Mails) someone starts a scene and begins a conversation then leaves 3-5 tags (which are the empty lines) towards another character. The player of that character then fills in the gaps and continues the scene in the same fashion. That way the people writing have something to go by when they write their sims.

For example this scene:

:: By the time Jerry made his way back to the main group it seemed the game was already over and the group had broken up. He didn't really regret not getting to do any bowling himself, but he would have liked to give Jalana a few more lessons. Well, there was always the holodeck if she was interested in more practice. Jerry's top priority became returning the ridiculous bowling shoes and getting his own footwear back. Jalana was hunched over near the rental counter changing her own shoes, so as Jerry approached he didn't even notice her until she suddenly stood up in front of him. He stopped in his tracks and smiled dumbly. ::

Rajel: We have to stop meeting like this.

Milsap: Oh, I don't know. As surprises go that was a pretty good one.

Rajel: So what kept you occupied? I hope something fun.

Milsap: Had a little mishap. A rogue bowling ball scored a split on Sindri's foot.

Rajel: That doesn't sound fun at all. Is he all right?

Milsap: He'll be sore for a while but he'll recover. He's in sick bay with Nijil right now.

Rajel: Good to hear, he's in good hands. So what are your plans for the rest of the night?

Milsap: Right now I'm lookin' to get my boots back on, and eventually I'll hit the sack. Haven't thought much about the in-between.

Started with action by Rajel and the lines of her. Milsap then wrote a sim in which he wrote his action and filled the gap before continuing leaving his own tags like

Milsap: ::chuckling:: Well, you're very well-preserved. You're not goin' right to sleep when you get back on board, are you?

Rajel: ?

Milsap: ::rubbing the back of his neck:: Well I don't have any plans, and if you don't have any plans maybe we could not have any plans together.

:: He winced as the words left his mouth. He hoped they somehow made more sense to Jalana than they did to him. ::

Milsap: ::shrugging:: My cabin is relatively clean, you're welcome to stop in if you like.

Milsap:  Well, when I first got here you stopped by with breakfast. I suppose the least I can do is offer you somethin' to drink.

So that Rajel (me) can fill in the gaps and continue the scene in my next sim.

We make sure not to make decisions for the other character and there is plenty of room to bring in your own ideas, and ways to answer the tags you receive.

Hope that helped a bit :)

• Like 1

In our game, members are generally not allowed to speak for others. You can read more about that here

So instead of speaking for others, we have a system "tagging," which is to say that each writer involves others in the plot, providing spaces for others to put in their own dialogue as they see fit. The way it works is that you (person A, let's say) write your sim, leaving spaces for others – like person B – to reply. In person B's next sim, they'll rewrite the scene from their character's point of view, filling-in the "tags" that were left for them. If you follow through what you're reading from sim to sim, you should see those open "tags" answered by the person who was tagged. 

There are certainly cases where you might tag someone else and that tag isn't responded to, but those are much more the exception rather than the rule. In most cases, you're going to get a response. 

This is not the only way to sim with others. Many players also do joint-sims, which is where they'll work together to write the sim before sending it to the list. They might do this over Instant Messenger, or using a Google Doc, since two (or more) people can edit a Google Doc at the same time. In those cases, they'll put the entire sim together and then one person will send half, and the other person will send the other half. That way they both get "credit" for having sent in a sim. 

Of course, you can also sim for "Non-Playing Characters" or NPCs. These are simply "unstaffed" characters you create for your character to interact with. So, you might be the Chief Engineering Officer, but you also have three NPCs who work in Engineering with you, that you simply write for yourself. 

18 minutes ago, inkanei said:

I have a couple of questions! 

I was looking through the various ship RPG logs, and I noticed that a lot of threads have a whole lot of this:

:: Person A doing some action::

PERSON A: Yeah, sure, that's fine.

PERSON A: Hahaha... I definitely agree!

This seems to be a huge thing in those logs. Am I reading this right? Does this mean that people are just starting logs and getting no response so they simply continue as if there was someone else there?

I guess my main concerns are that firstly, that's a lonely way to play. And secondly, it kind of misses the point of RPG if there isn't another person to play off of. If I'm just going to imagine what the other person might respond and act accordingly, why not just write a story out with both characters?

Or have I been reading the logs all wrong? Because this is something I've seen all over the place on pretty much every ship or base.

While it has been explained above two times, I just want to give you my opinion about it. While I understand your concern about the lonely route that someone has to play, it also challenge you to be creative in certain ways. I am experiencing first hand in the training at the moment to my own surprise is that I am enjoying it more. Why? Because I am waiting for an answer and at the same time curious as to what the other player will response with and leave behind with new tags for me to respond to. 

So for a person, like myself, that is used to creating large RPG logs and doing joint logs with other crew members or players. This system is in its own unique way also curious and fun!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FltAdml. Wolf said:

In our game, members are generally not allowed to speak for others. You can read more about that here

And actually, I just realized that tutorial wasn't updated with the most recent version we're using in training. I've updated that now :)

27 minutes ago, RaWolf said:

While it has been explained above two times, I just want to give you my opinion about it. While I understand your concern about the lonely route that someone has to play, it also challenge you to be creative in certain ways.

Just want to clarify that my statement about it being a lonely way to play was in reference to the huge number of logs I saw on every ship that were incomplete. It seems a lonely way to play when you're tossing out tags that are never picked up. I even found a log that was open to "Anyone" and no one ever responded, so it was a one-sided thing with a lot of "Anyone: ?" sprinkled throughout.

And as for not speaking for other people - I completely understand that. I"m just used to simming in environments where each person sends only their part, one part at a time, leaving room for literally anything to happen rather than having a scene pretty well sketched out since a person has already written reactions to things the other person hasn't said yet. 

I mean.. what if my character strongly disagrees with whatever is happening but you've already replied "That's nice." ?

I guess I'll reserve judgement for now, but honestly, I can't imagine trying to develop a character and interact honestly while being limited by tags that have been placed in the middle of a scene I'm now expected to conform to. (Sorry for dangling my participle, my grammar fails me sometimes!)

All that to say - thanks for the responses. I'll see how I like it, I guess.