• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FltAdml. Wolf

Questions about our group

Question

Want a question answered about our community before you apply? Ask it here!

249 answers to this question

Thank you for your answers. I’m sorry I didn’t respond before. Because of the job, more task then job actually, which I accepted I'm moving from my hometown in Oregon to a place on the diametrically opposite part of country. I'm in academy but it seems I'm going to fail it this time because of internet problems.

I always considered me being huge fan and knowledgeable about Trek, seeing all shows at least three four times (have them all on DVD), all films are safely stored in my collection (some in several versions) and reading more than 200 Star Trek books. Then I met that 12 years old kid who pulled me dramatically down to Earth with his knowledge of Star Trek. I was fascinated with him till I found out that his knowledge is not much better than mine, but much different than mine. While I can tell you exact exchange between Spock and his parents in Journey to Babel, he can tell you all the specs of any ship, not just federation, but some like Sarr Theln Warship, for which I have never heard.

I am reader, I was never writing before in my life.

Those two facts made me afraid of joining. I know for this Fleet for good five years and only reason I now decided to join is the fact I met several people who are members here on facebook. My decision is actually very odd, since one of girls dismissed me like a stray puppy. :sad4::huh2:

Before I joined, years ago, I too was an avid fan and I had read several novels. I was never a writer and I still do not concider myself a very good writer, but the people in this group helped and the creativity this group allows, increases those skills over time. I am sorry to hear RL has taken you from training, but I am sure there will always be a spot open if you wish to return.

Before I joined, years ago, I too was an avid fan and I had read several novels. I was never a writer and I still do not concider myself a very good writer, but the people in this group helped and the creativity this group allows, increases those skills over time. I am sorry to hear RL has taken you from training, but I am sure there will always be a spot open if you wish to return.

I didn't fail yet. I just got to my new town and I'm looking for a lodge for a few days till my house will be ready for living again. Now I have stable Internet connection. My Commander told me what I have to do to make it and I have high hopes to be with you in a jiffy.

I’ve been skimming at a very shallow level over the yahoo groups for the games here. As I’ve said elsewhere I used to RP some time ago. In the game I used to play, it was very common for players to write dialogue for one another’s characters. This was based on previous posts from the author and character biographies. Where there was a lot of interaction we tended towards writing a joint post usually over MSN, but sometimes via e-mail. I’m noticing a lot of posts published to the groups with reply tags waiting for another player. I always regarded the post published to the group as the finished article. These aren’t intended as criticisms or challenges, I appreciate every game has its house rules and own way of doing things. My questions are:

What techniques (tricks of the trade so to speak) do you go about writing posts between characters?

Is it ever acceptable to put words in another character’s mouth? If so, when? Edit: ignore this one, I found the policy, it's sensible.

What quality controls are in place for biographies and posts?

Edited by JordanAviro

What techniques (tricks of the trade so to speak) do you go about writing posts between characters?

Mostly the tag system, although I frown on leaving too many of those open. It's best to do joint sims on IM or work more on exposition than speaking for others.

Is it ever acceptable to put words in another character’s mouth? If so, when? Edit: ignore this one, I found the policy, it's sensible.

This, I assume: http://www.starbase118.net/cadets/training-area/day-3-speaking-for-others/ :) That's what you'll get in training about it.

What quality controls are in place for biographies and posts?

Everyone's bio is checked in training before they graduate. From there, it's up to the ship's staff to keep quality sims on their own vessel, although we try not to get too hard on people about these things ;)

As the Admiral said, writing joint posts is usually the best way to approach an in-depth conversation between two (or more) characters.

I've found the best way to do it is via Google docs, setting up a document all the participants can edit, but that's just personal preference.

Since everyone else answered the rest, I'll throw my five strips in for this one. :)

I find that basically, when writing a conversation between two people, when you tag the other person you're really giving over control of the conversation to them. So, when it's your turn to write, lead the way by all means- then basically 'hand over' the leadership of the conversation when you tag out.

I'll provide an example of what I mean:

Rais: Okay- well...!

:: The Betazoid was unable to hold in his laughter. ::

Rais: So... so it wasn't the Ferengi's SISTER, it was his MOTHER!

Aviro: Response.

:: The Betazoid laughed again, shaking his head. ::

Rais: Okay, okay. You like that one? Now, tell me a joke...

Aviro: Response.

In the above "sim", Rais (that's me!) is directing the conversation. The response tags I've left for "Aviro" are pretty generic, so you could write whatever you wanted. Now, let's turn over to you...

Rais: Okay- well...!

Rais: So... so it wasn't the Ferengi's SISTER, it was his MOTHER!

:: Aviro frowned a little. Jokes about a Ferengi's moogie were taken VERY seriously... did this Betazoid really want to walk down that path? ::

Aviro: Heh. Well, um. I suppose that one's... *kinda* funny.

:: The Betazoid laughed again, shaking his head. ::

Rais: Okay, okay. You like that one? Now, tell me a joke...

:: Aviro scratched his head. ::

Aviro: Well, what song would Elvis sing if he were assimilated by the Borg?

Rais: Response.

Aviro: Assimilate me tender!

:: Aviro smirked, studying the Betazoid's reaction... ::

Rais: Response.

Both times, the "leader" of the conversation was the person who was currently simming. Basically, just put in some generic tips. Be careful not to deliberately "C3PO" the conversation too much- your own writing should be generic enough so that, within reason, people could write whatever they wanted. This goes doubly-true for decisions and opinions. Asking someone to make a decision, but then reacting as though they answered one way, is a little rude (unless there's really no way the question could be answered either way). If you're ever unsure about this, just drop the player a quick Direct OOC to ask them what they would answer. Any kind of IM message works too. :)

That's my tip of the day! Good luck in the academy, and post any more questions you have! :)

Guest Jamina McDonald

Hello, but no question.

I`ve just been approved to this RPG and wanted to introduce myself.

My character name is Jamina McDonald and I hope to meet you all soon.

Susanne Trentin

Welcome to the group! I hope you enjoy your academy training & I look forward to seeing you around the fleet.

chris

aka

Welcome Jamina McDonald!

Hello, but no question.

I`ve just been approved to this RPG and wanted to introduce myself.

My character name is Jamina McDonald and I hope to meet you all soon.

Susanne Trentin

Glad you found us Susanne. We'll be seeing you in classes soon, but please understand that the holidays may delay yours slightly. You'll be happy to know that you are at the top of the list for the next one. :)

Wonderful to meet you!

-Xander

I have a question about sim selection.

Assuming that we graduate, I am given to understand that we will be assigned to a sim based on writing style and open positions.

Do we have any say in the sim to which we are assigned? If, for example, having looked over the sites and info on various sims, we had formed a preference, could we make that preference known?

Obviously the commanding officers know their sims much better than we do and I assume that we would be told if they felt that a particular sim was not right for us, but would a preference at least be taken into account?

Assuming that we graduate, I am given to understand that we will be assigned to a sim based on writing style and open positions.

Do we have any say in the sim to which we are assigned? If, for example, having looked over the sites and info on various sims, we had formed a preference, could we make that preference known?

Obviously the commanding officers know their sims much better than we do and I assume that we would be told if they felt that a particular sim was not right for us, but would a preference at least be taken into account?

Good question! In addition to your writing style, and positions you will be sent a questionnaire. There are a few more questions on that form that will help the Fleet Placement Officer find the right vessel for you. ;)

Here's what the Placement Questionnaire says about the subject:

We attempt to honor all requests for posting aboard a specific vessel, whenever possible. However, we cannot guarantee placement requests. Many factors are considered in your placement, including:

• How many sims per day you can read;
  • How many sims per week you can write;
  • The duty post vacancies on a vessel;
  • How full a ship is in general;
  • The content of your bio;
  • Your writing skills.

Our first priority is to place you on a vessel that fits your needs. Although you may be interested in a certain vessel, it may sim far too slow, or fast, for you. As such, we ask that you only request specific placement if you know someone on a vessel and wish to sim with them. Otherwise, please trust our placement methods! You will have the opportunity to transfer off your vessel after eight weeks, if you feel that you simply aren’t fitting-in or liking the placement

You'll be filling out the placement questionnaire on about 60% of the way through training :)

Thank you for your prompt replies, much appreciated.

Thank you for your prompt replies, much appreciated.

Looking forward to having you as part of the fleet, mate- and I love your avatar!

Looking forward to having you as part of the fleet, mate- and I love your avatar!

I am looking forward to becomming a part of the fleet - does it show? :happy4: - and shall be interested to see where I am placed.

BTW, am I by any chance addressed a fellow Aussie?

And thank you, I have some fairly nifty art software and am not above a little photomanipulation. I am also an avid fan of Cillian Murphy, whose picture I butchered. I have altered pictures for avatars for players in other games before.

I do like your banner. I have yet to try to put together something that complex, but it looks like a lot of thought went into it.

BTW, am I by any chance addressed a fellow Aussie?

That's correct! There are a few of us in the fleet, which means that sometimes forum posts and sims occur at sane hours! :)

I do like your banner. I have yet to try to put together something that complex, but it looks like a lot of thought went into it.

Thanks! :D Updating it is on my list of "To Do" things, since there's been a few things that irk me very slightly (mostly text placement/font issues...)

That's correct! There are a few of us in the fleet, which means that sometimes forum posts and sims occur at sane hours!

That's excellent news.

Of course, having got all excited because it's Monday which means training starts, I now realise that Monday for the people who run the training is no doubt Tuesday for me.

Clearly I shall have to practice some Vulcan meditation to keep my impatience under control. :dry2:

We'll be glad to have you in the fleet, Saveron. I dig your enthusiasm. You'll make a fine officer...

Hello,

I want to apologize if I come across as impatient or rude, but about how long will it take to get the Yahoo Groups invitation to start the training? :happy4:

Hello! Not rude at all ;)

The training class has started and you have been added to the list. You should have received the ROLL CALL message. If you haven't please let me know.

It's great to have you with us!

Guest mike

Did you guys know your wiki is down? I was reading through it friday and saturday it was donw. Im really interested in your group but honestly wasn't done reading about it.

Did you guys know your wiki is down? I was reading through it friday and saturday it was donw. Im really interested in your group but honestly wasn't done reading about it.

Hm.... I'm checking it right now and it appears to be functioning. Give it another try?