• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FltAdml. Wolf

Questions about our group

I was wondering about a little bit of back story to the training simulation. I understand it's part of our cadet's cruise, albeit via simulation, but is the mission meant to be with cadets we would know? Obviously once things get started I could organise a joint sim with a fellow cadet and invent a little bit of history together but I was just wondering if this was feasible or considered outside the scope of training?

Heya! :) Being new myself, I can't actually answer any of your questions, but they are ones that I was wondering about as well, so thanks for posing them. Also, it looks like we're going to be in the same training group next week and I'd be okay with perhaps creating a back-history with our two characters if you're interested. Although mine can be kind of hard to get along with sometimes. ;) Anyway, my e-mail is thebetainpegasus AT gmail if you want to work something out. Otherwise, see you in training!

Okay, the current UFOP year would be 2386 so we are good number of years after the conclusion of the Dominion War. What happened in the series is regarded as having occurred in our timeline. Given our position in the timeline we can obviously refer to it but are not restricted by it. The fleet as a whole is regarded to be in the same time period, this is especially helpful during inter ship missions.

While joint sims are encouraged you certainly would not need to be able to write one in training. The goal of training is over all to get everyone writing in the same format. Joint sims are generally best when you have got to know who the other person you are writing with is and given the time period few training it is probably best left until you have been posted on a ship for a while.

Simming a history with a fellow Cadet is ok and would make make for interesting character development. Given the training missions you will have plenty to write about without.

Unfortunately, Joint sims are not allowed in the Academy. The classes are mainly for intergrating cadets into the sims in preparation for joining a ship. However, when they graduate and are assign on a ship, they can JP with anyone who is willing to do so, or with a NPC.

:)

Hi Brenna, welcome to the group too. :)

Edited by Toni

Welcome, to you both! :)

Okay, no joint sims no problem there. And good to know that the time line is consistent fleet wide.

Still no takers on making a reference to which UFOP year the Dominion War ended, or another pivotal Star Trek moment I can use as reference? I'll stick with around 2372-2376 but it'd be nice if I had a specific year in which the war ended to gain some perspective.

Thanks for all the answers and indeed welcome!

Also, it looks like we're going to be in the same training group next week and I'd be okay with perhaps creating a back-history with our two characters if you're interested. Although mine can be kind of hard to get along with sometimes. ;)

Lovely to make your acquaintance Brenna! While we may be exluded from writing anything jointly it doesn't exclude us from writing a little familarity into the scene, after all we're bound to have run into each other at the acadamy.

See you there!

Okay, no joint sims no problem there. And good to know that the time line is consistent fleet wide.

Still no takers on making a reference to which UFOP year the Dominion War ended, or another pivotal Star Trek moment I can use as reference? I'll stick with around 2372-2376 but it'd be nice if I had a specific year in which the war ended to gain some perspective.

Thanks for all the answers and indeed welcome!

I believe I read somewhere that the Dominion War ended in 2373. :blink1:

I believe I read somewhere that the Dominion War ended in 2373. :blink1:

I know the Dominion War started in 2373...but that doesn't mean that it didn't end the same year, although in DS9 it did seem to go on for quite a while. I also know that contact was first made with Voyager in 2374, but I don't know that that necessarily helps.

No JPs...check. :D

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and answers, and I look forward to posting with you in the sim, Koloth (though not in a JP like manner :) )

If in doubt about canon facts and figures, I'd recommend Memory Alpha: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Portal:Main

The current UFOP year is 2386. The Dominion War ended in the finale of DS9, at the end of season 7; the entire season being set in 2375. Voyager ended in 2377, but we don't tend to use the tech it acquired in Endgame.

As for the events since then; the relevent bits depend on which ship you end up on really. About a third of the fleet is in the Ithassa Region, which is a relatively unexplored area near the Gorn, Tholians and Tzenkethi. Starbase 118 Ops & Eagle I think are near the Romulan/Klingon borders. The others move about a bit I think.

Hope that helps :)

According to Memory Alpha and Wikipedia, the Dominion war lasted from 2373-2375. It came right on the heels of the Federation-Klingon war in 2372.

Ah, I was under a misunderstanding. So the UFOP year actually represents the Earth Gregorian calendar rather than an arbitrary number, silly me. So I can directly relate Star Trek events that happened via AD years.

Can you tell I'm new at this? :blink1:

Thanks again! :laugh2:

Ok, so I just graduated, but I do not have access to anything, so what now? I also donated money to the site when does that appear as a contributing member on my profile? Thanks folks!

Ok, so I just graduated, but I do not have access to anything, so what now? I also donated money to the site when does that appear as a contributing member on my profile? Thanks folks!

It takes a few days, to assign you to a ship as not all members are online at the same time, and it was the weekend too. I promise it will not be long before all is revealed. :)

Edited by Toni

Guest gloryforixseal

Hey maybe thats where I saw it. I have about a dozen old B T magazines, hope theres one with the right article. Looks like Ive got some reading to do. Thanks

Hey G52, if you get a chance could you repost the picture of yours.

Mary B.

Guest Lothan Ch'Vhas

Hello Everyone,

It's nice to see an active PBEM... I've been itching to play since I left the last RPG i've been in a few years ago... And I just feel like writing these days!

I've got a few questions here so I will go straight to them

• What do you consider canon except for that what has been shown on TV/Movies? (Here i mean Comics, Novels, Encyclopedias... Federation Travel Guides...)

Subquestion : I have a BG for an andorian character that is already written but it is heavily based on the DS9 Book "Worlds of DS9 : Andor" (Mainly everything about the 4 sexes)

• Do you consider yourself a serious RPG?... The last one I've been in had goofy characters (here I mean trained officiers NPC or players) and improper situations that I would have found intolerable either on TV or on a real ship...

• When is the RPG played? 2386? (Post-Dominion war? Post-Nemesis?)

Well that's pretty much it... I'll be waiting for your answers! :)

Thanks a lot!

P.S

I hope you like (french) canadians eh! ;)

Hello Everyone,

It's nice to see an active PBEM... I've been itching to play since I left the last RPG i've been in a few years ago... And I just feel like writing these days!

I've got a few questions here so I will go straight to them

• What do you consider canon except for that what has been shown on TV/Movies? (Here i mean Comics, Novels, Encyclopedias... Federation Travel Guides...)

Subquestion : I have a BG for an andorian character that is already written but it is heavily based on the DS9 Book "Worlds of DS9 : Andor" (Mainly everything about the 4 sexes)

• Do you consider yourself a serious RPG?... The last one I've been in had goofy characters (here I mean trained officiers NPC or players) and improper situations that I would have found intolerable either on TV or on a real ship...

• When is the RPG played? 2386? (Post-Dominion war? Post-Nemesis?)

Well that's pretty much it... I'll be waiting for your answers! :)

Thanks a lot!

P.S

I hope you like (french) canadians eh! ;)

Cannon would be everything created by Gene Roddenberry (characters, fictional facts, etc.) prior to and incuding 2386. Which also answers question two as that is the year of our sims.

Yes, we're very serious about our PBEM RPG. The group has been around 15 years, :smilie2: but serious it doesn't mean they we don't have fun, because we do, and a lot of it. :blink1:

Here's hoping to sim with you soon. :biggrin2:

I'm curious about something. You require a little bit of pseudo-simming to join to see if the prospective player can write which I would guess, prevents a few people who can't write from applying in the first place but what kind of trash do you have to refuse? Txt sp3ak?

I'm having trouble to imagine someone who can't write 250 of story but I'm sure they do exist.

Poor sentence structure, punctuation difficulties, a lack of capitalization, incoherent expression of thought, and more than two words in one sentence misspelled, in a 50-word essay are pretty good indicators that they can not hold up to the rigors of SIMing.

Edited by Toni

Guest Lor

Hello all!

So, quick question. I've been on RPG sites before but mainly on those, one needs an excessive background knowledge of the fandom in an extreme sense (at least the ones I found did). How much about Star Trek do we actually need to know about? I'll admit, I'm a huge fan but I don't know dates off the top of my head and I've only begun to readmit myself into the Star Trek universe at the release of the new movie...

So I suppose my question is: How much information from the TV shows/movies do I need to know in order to not be completely lost? (I am mostly familiar with the Original Series and 2009 movie... :ninja2:) I'm always willing to learn more of course, I love the universe but do I need a really large base of knowledge before signing up?

Thanks for your time!

- Lor -

Hello all!

So, quick question. I've been on RPG sites before but mainly on those, one needs an excessive background knowledge of the fandom in an extreme sense (at least the ones I found did). How much about Star Trek do we actually need to know about? I'll admit, I'm a huge fan but I don't know dates off the top of my head and I've only begun to readmit myself into the Star Trek universe at the release of the new movie...

So I suppose my question is: How much information from the TV shows/movies do I need to know in order to not be completely lost? (I am mostly familiar with the Original Series and 2009 movie... :ninja2:) I'm always willing to learn more of course, I love the universe but do I need a really large base of knowledge before signing up?

Thanks for your time!

- Lor -

Hi Lor,

No, you don't need a large base of knowledge when you sign up, although a working knowledge is helpful, but most of it you can learn as you go.

:smilie2:

Hello Lor,

Commander Toni Turner is absolutely right. You don't need to know much Trek to enjoy the experience and our group. All you need is a good enthusiasm and willingness to learn. Knowing some about The Origional Series and the latest movie is a good start. Much will be explained about simming during your cadet training. The rest will come naturally as you discover our Wiki, chat on our Forums and read all the sims. I started out without knowing extremely much myself... that was almost 7 years ago :-)

Don't worry about it. All will fall into place. Just enjoy the adventure and have fun with the experiences you will find out there.

Guest D.Sooff

sorry apparently there is already a facebook group with quite a few members so join that one its Boston University School of Law Class of 2011 Join up

Andrew Keutmann

sorry apparently there is already a facebook group with quite a few members so join that one its Boston University School of Law Class of 2011 Join up

Andrew Keutmann

Yes, we have quite a few members on Facebook. :) glad you found us on there. :smilie2:

Guest Cadet Joseph Cormalen

Uh, hi. I'm already in a cadet cruise, but I have a question. What date is it in the RPG? Thanks!

Uh, hi. I'm already in a cadet cruise, but I have a question. What date is it in the RPG? Thanks!

Today, October 10, 2009 is Stardate 238610.10

Edited by Toni