• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FltAdml. Wolf

Questions about our group

27 minutes ago, RaWolf said:

While it has been explained above two times, I just want to give you my opinion about it. While I understand your concern about the lonely route that someone has to play, it also challenge you to be creative in certain ways.

Just want to clarify that my statement about it being a lonely way to play was in reference to the huge number of logs I saw on every ship that were incomplete. It seems a lonely way to play when you're tossing out tags that are never picked up. I even found a log that was open to "Anyone" and no one ever responded, so it was a one-sided thing with a lot of "Anyone: ?" sprinkled throughout.

And as for not speaking for other people - I completely understand that. I"m just used to simming in environments where each person sends only their part, one part at a time, leaving room for literally anything to happen rather than having a scene pretty well sketched out since a person has already written reactions to things the other person hasn't said yet. 

I mean.. what if my character strongly disagrees with whatever is happening but you've already replied "That's nice." ?

I guess I'll reserve judgement for now, but honestly, I can't imagine trying to develop a character and interact honestly while being limited by tags that have been placed in the middle of a scene I'm now expected to conform to. (Sorry for dangling my participle, my grammar fails me sometimes!)

All that to say - thanks for the responses. I'll see how I like it, I guess.

1 minute ago, inkanei said:

Just want to clarify that my statement about it being a lonely way to play was in reference to the huge number of logs I saw on every ship that were incomplete. It seems a lonely way to play when you're tossing out tags that are never picked up. I even found a log that was open to "Anyone" and no one ever responded, so it was a one-sided thing with a lot of "Anyone: ?" sprinkled throughout.

And as for not speaking for other people - I completely understand that. I"m just used to simming in environments where each person sends only their part, one part at a time, leaving room for literally anything to happen rather than having a scene pretty well sketched out since a person has already written reactions to things the other person hasn't said yet. 

I mean.. what if my character strongly disagrees with whatever is happening but you've already replied "That's nice." ?

I guess I'll reserve judgement for now, but honestly, I can't imagine trying to develop a character and interact honestly while being limited by tags that have been placed in the middle of a scene I'm now expected to conform to. (Sorry for dangling my participle, my grammar fails me sometimes!)

All that to say - thanks for the responses. I'll see how I like it, I guess.

Don't be sorry! It is good to be critical about your perspective of what you might and might not expect. I have not great amount experience with the group yet (heck I am a cadet lol), but what I can tell you is that if something bothers you or you got an issue with a certain reply. You can always contact the person in question or the Captain. I find this community to be very open in this regard :) 

Plus also a thing I noticed is that I cant reach most of the groups, so maybe it goes different there? You will never know until you join the adventure!

Just want to clarify that my statement about it being a lonely way to play was in reference to the huge number of logs I saw on every ship that were incomplete. It seems a lonely way to play when you're tossing out tags that are never picked up.

Can you clarify what you mean by "incomplete"? Per above, the conversation is always going to start incomplete, but over the course of a few days the other players in the scene should "finish" the conversation by adding their parts in later sims. 

I even found a log that was open to "Anyone" and no one ever responded, so it was a one-sided thing with a lot of "Anyone: ?" sprinkled throughout.

We generally discourage the use of the "Anyone" tag for that very reason – it tends to be ignored. Best practice is to tag specific characters in a logical way. If someone has already simmed themselves into the same room with you, it's logical to tag them, of course.

The goal is for any responses to be general enough that they don't "trap" you, the writer, into saying something specific. If you're finding that another writer is doing that a lot, you'll want to approach your captain and ask for help with trying to resolve the issue. Your captain will be eager to help you find a way to resolve the situation in an agreeable way. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FltAdml. Wolf said:

Can you clarify what you mean by "incomplete"? Per above, the conversation is always going to start incomplete, but over the course of a few days the other players in the scene should "finish" the conversation by adding their parts in later sims. 

What I meant by incomplete is that while reading through the logs, I saw a number of sim logs where there were still question marks instead of responses. I assumed that only finished logs were posted, meaning that those logs I saw were never answered by the person tagged. At first I thought that maybe the system just sent in logs for publishing before they were finished, but I noticed that even much older logs still had the question marks, and I couldn't find any logs titled something like "This log, part 2" indicating that it was the finished product.

That's why I asked if I was missing something in my first post. I thought maybe I'd found the "in progress" log files.

20 minutes ago, inkanei said:

What I meant by incomplete is that while reading through the logs, I saw a number of sim logs where there were still question marks instead of responses. I assumed that only finished logs were posted, meaning that those logs I saw were never answered by the person tagged. At first I thought that maybe the system just sent in logs for publishing before they were finished, but I noticed that even much older logs still had the question marks, and I couldn't find any logs titled something like "This log, part 2" indicating that it was the finished product.

That's why I asked if I was missing something in my first post. I thought maybe I'd found the "in progress" log files.

When I first came to StarBase 118, I was also new to 118's style of leaving open tags within conversations. I had previously roleplayed in a group many years ago where each writer basically was given freedom to write for all the characters and go chapter by chapter. You'll get trained into how we do it at 118 during the academy, and after having been a part of this group now for six years, I have to say that the style has opened up a very interesting way of storytelling that wasn't possible in the previous style I had known. I'm not saying one style is necessarily better than another, but for instance, I recently uploaded a "completed" scene to our wiki and usually, I would do so by just patching in the responses from the other player.

For example, this is a scene where the narration is from my character's POV, and I have uploaded it to the wiki in its "completed" form by stitching together the responses and narration from the other writer to make one long post when in fact this actually took place over a month of posts back and forth of tagging each other:

Dr. Del Vedova & LtCmdr Rahman: Secret Admirer

In another scene, however, I felt each person's narration from their character's perspective was what really made the scene so memorable, so I made a table where you can basically read the entire scene side by side from each character's POV: Kells, Del Vedova, Rahman, and Saveron: "Dinner Party"

What really makes StarBase 118's form of storytelling so fun for me is getting to read the story and various scenes this way. When each person writes, we are often revisiting previous scenes someone else wrote but now from the perspective of their character. No one person then actually has the definitive "version" of the scene, and to truly get the most of the story and the scene requires reading all of the characters' perspectives, which ultimately makes the story and greater world of the StarBase 118 universe feel very enriching and alive.

Edited by Roshanara Rahman
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, inkanei said:

Ah, ok -- I see the confusion. 

Everyone sims via email. And our sim archive literally just pulls those emails as they come in and displays them. 

Usually people don't title their sims "part 1," and the next person "part 2." I might title my sim, "On the bridge at night," and tag someone else who's on the bridge with me at the time. That other person might title their sim "Feeling snoozy on the bridge" and respond to those tags by rewriting the scene I found my tags. 

The sims in the archive which have the "Name: Tag" will never actually be updated in the original post. You'll just see the conversation get "filled in" in later emails. So you'll really need to read through email-to-email to see the scene/conversation as it develops. 

1 hour ago, FltAdml. Wolf said:

Ah, ok -- I see the confusion. 

Everyone sims via email. And our sim archive literally just pulls those emails as they come in and displays them. 

Usually people don't title their sims "part 1," and the next person "part 2." I might title my sim, "On the bridge at night," and tag someone else who's on the bridge with me at the time. That other person might title their sim "Feeling snoozy on the bridge" and respond to those tags by rewriting the scene I found my tags. 

The sims in the archive which have the "Name: Tag" will never actually be updated in the original post. You'll just see the conversation get "filled in" in later emails. So you'll really need to read through email-to-email to see the scene/conversation as it develops. 

Thanks, this makes complete sense! Without understanding this, it looked like the majority of sims went unanswered.

I feel 1000 times better now. Thanks for taking the time to explain!

• Like 1

Just now, inkanei said:

Thanks, this makes complete sense! Without understanding this, it looked like the majority of sims went unanswered.

I feel 1000 times better now. Thanks for taking the time to explain!

Glad we could clear that up! :wolfy:

Maybe a really really stupid question, but if one gets a writer ID is that for life? Even if you change ship?

Yes. It's to help identify you as a writer even if you change ships or characters. That way anything you write can get traced back to that one ID, no matter how long ago it was.

• Like 4

Guest Interested Guest

Hello,

I have taken the time to read many of the available resources (including the full extent of this thread and the FAQs).  Most of my questions have been thoughtfully answered and I am now exceptionally interested in joining.

However, I still have a few questions stemmed by observations:

Observation 1:  I see that many people (including executive leadership) utilize a public persona rather than their real name.  That said, I have discovered that some do publish some personal information in their user page(s) redirected from the Writer ID.

Observation 2: I understand that some people have genuine real life reasons where they must carefully manage their public image.  I fall into this category; however, I have no problem sharing real world identity information with club leadership.

Question 1:  When I join, what level of real world information do you require and what is your privacy policy?

Question 2:  May I register with an email persona aligned with my visible credentials?  Or must I utilize an email tied to my real world identity?

Observation 2:  I see that you have tightly ring-fenced Starfleet JAG and it does not appear to be a playable department.  It is not difficult to make the necessary intuitive leaps; I understand the how and why of the present design.  I would like to explore the IC/RP opportunity in this area without disrupting the existing OOC framework currently in place.  Decoupled entirely from JAG, I see legal duty assignments (like all other roles) operating under the remit and authority of commanding officers.

Observation 3: The department exists in canon as part of the Command Department and legal officers wear red.  I see exceptional vectors of engagement with other players via compulsory ties to the Diplomatic and Intelligence departments.  Additionally, I see the role relying heavily on operations and the sciences for technical and forensic expertise.

Question 3:  With appropriate background (and boundaries) can a Legal Officer position be created?  Perhaps with direct reporting to CO and reciprocal dotted lines to diplomacy and intelligence?

Question 4:  Is this an area where factional interest in Federation Law or Xeno-Justice could be developed to advance or uplift the community (if so, my interest and effort can be assumed, after appropriate training, integration, success and longevity as a member are satisfied)?

Perhaps questions 3 & 4 are too forward thinking -- currus bovem trahit praepostere.  It simply appears to be a gap where there is canon and lore that can be better utilized to uplift story.

Question 5:  What is the sim rate for Starbase 118 Ops and Duronis II Embassy?

I apologize if my inquiry is inappropriate.  This is my first time to explore PBeM type gaming.  I look forward to learning more before proceeding.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

• Like 1

Hello guest, I'm glad that you've took an interest in our group and your questions are appropiate, so don't worry about asking anything you need to know. I've been a player of this group for about fourteen years and I'd like to ease some of your concerns, leaving a more detailed and official answer to someone else with more knowledge and proper explanation. First of all, tell you that English is no my main language so forgive me if something sounds strange or there's any error.

About your question 1: You don't have to share nothing of your personal information (besides the e-mail that you'll use to play in our community, if that could be considered personal because you can use an e-mail exclusively for the game as I do) About the Privacy policy I'll leave that for someone of high staff.

About your question 2: You don't have to tie your mail to your real persona. For example, I use dickens.marcus@gmail.com and this is not my real name. I might have shared my birthday but that's not exactly sensitive information, in my opinion. That said, you're free to share as much or as little information as you feel comfortable with. Of course we tend to avoid using full names, but sometimes, when confidence is built, we might share our first name as we address each other, but that's only if you want to.

I'll leave questions 3 and 4 for others to answer as it involves some aspect of the group that I can't answer without asking the EC or the CC. FltAdm. Wolf will be the best person to answer that ;)

About question 5, it varies from month to month, depending of people real life issues and commitments. As you've surely read, the minimum required to be considered full time simmer is three posts a week or twelve a month, but if you feel very inspired and/or have the time, anything above that is fine, while it allows people to get time to answer/reply to your posts and tags and let enough room for others to develop the story/plot and their characters.

Well, enough for now, I hope I've eased some of your concerns and will leave anyone else to answer your questions, either rectifying or confirming my answers and giving you the ones for questions three and four.

From someone who had been here many years, I hope that you finally join us and to share this experience with you either simming or through the forums.

Guest Interested Guest
8 hours ago, Kelrod said:

Well, enough for now, I hope I've eased some of your concerns and will leave anyone else to answer your questions, either rectifying or confirming my answers and giving you the ones for questions three and four.

Hello Kelrod,

Your response was very friendly and helpful.  Thank you.

After reading your post, I explored further and discovered:

Constitution

Application for membership requests the following:

• Your email
  • Your character's species
  • Your character's gender
  • Your character's name
  • Your first choice duty post
  • Your second choice duty post
  • Creative writing sample
  • How did you find us?
  • Any comments or questions for the Academy staff

Very basic stuff.  Excepting for plagiarism in the writing sample, "misrepresentation on any portion of the application for membership" may be quite the creative, sociopathic endeavour indeed!

On one hand, I feel silly for asking.  On the other hand, given recent real world developments and a future uncertain, one can never be too careful with one's public image or identity.

Be well and again, thank you for your care and consideration.

The only thing we need from anyone to join is an email address. You can use any email address you want. You can use any nom de plume you want, or just go by your character name. Note that if you use your social media profiles to login to the forums or other areas of the site, that information may be visible to us. 

Our JAG department is entirely OOC. We don't allow new players to sim anything like a JAG officer, although experienced officers who prove their simming abilities are often able to move into specialized roles, with the permission of their CO. So you may want to start as a security officer, and talk to your CO about your goal of moving into an IC JAG role, and set a plan for that. 

Both Ops and Embassy currently receive about 7 sims per day to their email lists. This is an average of the last three months of sim activity. As Cmdr. Kelrod above mentioned, each individual simmer is expected to post a minimum of three sims a week / 12 times a month on average. If you're wanting either Embassy or Ops as a posting, you'll want to make sure we're aware of that on your application. 

If you're wanting to join us, I encourage you to post your application today or tomorrow – our next training group starts on Monday :)

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this question, but here goes.

When filling out my application, I listed 'Security' as my primary specialty. I want to change it to 'Tactical'. How would I do so?

1 minute ago, Dominic Reed said:

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this question, but here goes.

When filling out my application, I listed 'Security' as my primary specialty. I want to change it to 'Tactical'. How would I do so?

I can update it for you with the Training team :)

Guest I have questions

Is this board still monitored? How do ask questions about the group?

31 minutes ago, Guest I have questions said:

Is this board still monitored? How do ask questions about the group?

Yup, still monitored. Ask away :)

Guest I have questions

Is there is a policy regarding sexism and/or racism in character interactions and story plots?

(I'm asking because one of the things I love about Star Trek is gender and race equality supported at all levels of authority. But in Star Trek pbem rpgs I have encountered some players and GMs who write characters and design plots using 20th century stereotypes.)

Do players have any say in determining the plot?

Thank you.

Plot in the game is written and guided by the players. 

There are policies concerning sexism, racism, etc between writers (players). 

https://wiki.starbase118.net/wiki/index.php?title=UFOP_Constitution/Article_VIII:_Discipline_of_All_Officers

Between characters you generally work it out ahead of time and decide if it would be realistic in the time, etc, remember characters are not writers, and run it by your Commanding Officer. 

We cover it in training. 

https://wiki.starbase118.net/wiki/index.php?title=Training_Tutorial_2

I hope that helps! 

• Like 2

There's a great tutorial on Sexism in Simming as well, and the same principles apply to racism or any other form of discrimination.

https://www.starbase118.net/cadets/tutorial-library/sexism-simming/

Basically, we as a community do not tolerate it. OOC (Out Of Character) we are open and welcoming to everyone, regardless of race, religion (or lack thereof), sex or sexual orientation, and whether or not they think pineapple goes on pizza.

IC (In Character) we may, very occasionally, have a character display some sort of discrimination or prejudice for the purpose of the storyline. It has to be very clear that it is the character's opinion, not the writer's. Most commonly it's a species prejudice, e.g. a character doesn't trust Ferengi or thinks Vulcans are boring. This tends to be less inflammatory as it doesn't parallel as closely to things in real life, though one can compare 'speciesism' to racism. Generally, if it's not going to forward the story in some way avoid simming prejudices, and if you think that it might offend someone, clear it with your Captain first.

My character just attended the wedding of two of his former colleagues, both of whom are male and who are different species (and one is a species hybrid). It was a lovely event and thoroughly enjoyed by all who were involved in simming it. This is very typical of the Fleet; we are open and not just accepting but welcoming of diversity.

For mission plots, the basic premise is generally determined by the Captain and First Officer of the ship, sometimes with input from other senior crew members who are considered sim 'staff'. However, once the mission is launched, the input of every crew member steers the direction that the mission takes, and the outcome is never a foregone conclusion. Often it's the newest Ensign who throws some interesting curve balls into the plot, which is great! Sometimes the Captain will ask for ideas for future missions you'd like to see, and there is always the option to submit a formal mission suggestion, if there's a story that you'd really like to play.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest I have questions

Thank you so much Oddas Aria and Saveron! These were just the kind of answers I was really hoping for. You have kind of restored my faith in Star Trek fandom. This sounds like the kind of group I'd want to be part of.

And wow, a wedding of two male sim characters, how wonderful.

You're very welcome, I'm glad we could answer your questions.

The wedding was wonderful, and the fact that it was the culmination of a story-arc that had been in play for years, through all the trials you would expect a relationship to face in such a profession and involving many other writers, made it satisfying on so many levels.

One of the other things that I love about this group is the fact that we really are a Fleet, not just a collection of different sims. I wrote with the two writers of the characters that got married for years; our characters served together across three ships, under two different Captains. Now I'm serving on a different ship, but I was able and invited to do a 'cameo' on their ship's list in order to have my character attend the wedding; and I wasn't the only one! There were four of us doing cameos, all from different ships or leave. It was something of a reunion and that in itself was great fun.

I'm glad to hear you think our group is something you might like to be a part of. If you think you'd like to join, feel free to submit an application and hopefully we'll see you in training!

• Like 3

Guest Harry Zhou

I'm about to start training, I want to join the chat group, can anyone give me a discord invitation link please? the one on the homepage is invalid.

9 hours ago, Guest Harry Zhou said:

I'm about to start training, I want to join the chat group, can anyone give me a discord invitation link please? the one on the homepage is invalid.

Try this one: https://discord.gg/mtAY6jt

Hope that works for ya'.

• Thanks 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.