• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FltAdml. Wolf

Questions about our group

Guest Guest: LCdr Panzo

Hey,

I am an experienced writer, but, unfortunately, it appears my current SIMM is about to fade from existence. I currently write as the XO of the USS Ranger in Far Point Fleet, and am looking to possibly transfer my character to a new fleet. H has a lot of history (marriage, divorce, etc.) and I would hate to see all that work just disappear. What are your regulations in this regard? I don't want another command level position, just to write, but I also don't want to start all over again... Like I said, I'm still looking at my options, but I do like what I see here so far.

Respectfully,

Rick

Guest Guest_LCdr_Panzo

Hey, I submitted a question to this forum a few days ago as a prospective applicant to your group. I have checked back multiple times a day since I made my submission and have yet to see anybody even approve it, let alone reply. If this is the way you treat people asking honest questions, then I have no desire to be a part of your community. I will take my time and limited talent some place it will be appreciated and welcome. Thank you.

Hey, I submitted a question to this forum a few days ago as a prospective applicant to your group. I have checked back multiple times a day since I made my submission and have yet to see anybody even approve it, let alone reply. If this is the way you treat people asking honest questions, then I have no desire to be a part of your community. I will take my time and limited talent some place it will be appreciated and welcome. Thank you.

I'm sorry your question has not been answered yet. I don't have an answer for you, but I will endeavour to find one. Please check back and I will forward an answer to you as soon as I have an answer either way.

You would have to attend a week-long academy training group, which is actually quite a bit of fun. You would then be posted to a ship determined by several factors. During training, you will be given a questionnaire which will determine what kind of ship would be best suited to your SIMming pace, etc.

You will be posted as an Ensign. Speeds of promotion vary, but it normally depends on factors such as your enthusiasm, SIMming frequency, cooperation and helpfulness towards others on your ship, building both on the main plots and your character, and your contributions to the group as a whole.

If you are concerned about starting off as an Ensign, I wouldn't worry so much. If you have SIMming experience and you still have access to you old SIMs and you wish to maintain your character, just remember, what would be a rehashing of old events to your old group, is brand new to us :) The only thing you would have to tweak would be the formatting. Other than that, coming with a pre-made character is quite a time-saver when it comes to pondering what sort of character to play, and adding a bio to that character.

Also, this group is not going to fade away anytime soon. I have been in and out for the last 10+ years. (Yup, it gets in your blood) The group's creator is still around, and the staff are always there to assist when needed. It has maintained a steady level of participation since I have been here (that's 10+ years), and for that I thank the recruitment and advertising team, who keep a steady flow of Cadets coming in on a weekly basis.

I hope this answers your question. :)

Thank you Tracey, for the prompt response. I'm always happy to defer the answer to a question like that to those who have the experience.

Guest Evanna

I have put in an application to join the community, I then went to register on the forums. The problem is that the register form pops up an error saying that my email address is not accepted by this board. (I assume it means @gmx.com by that) I do not understand why my email is not being allowed and I don't really want to sign up using two different emails (- to prevent confusion).

I have put in an application to join the community, I then went to register on the forums. The problem is that the register form pops up an error saying that my email address is not accepted by this board. (I assume it means @gmx.com by that) I do not understand why my email is not being allowed and I don't really want to sign up using two different emails (- to prevent confusion).

Because @gmx.com is a free e-mail provider, we were receiving dozens and dozens of spam registrations each day from that domain, at one time. We put a ban filter on any e-mail registrations from @gmx.com, which is why you were seeing that error message.

However, since we had that problem, we've instituted some new security protocols on the forums which don't require us to filter via e-mail domain name. I have removed @gmx.com from the ban list. Give it another try, and you should be able to register successfully :)

Guest Evanna

I understand, you must take measures to minimise the spam you recieve, thank you for lifting the ban to allow me to register. I have now registered on the forums and am pending review.

I understand, you must take measures to minimise the spam you recieve, thank you for lifting the ban to allow me to register. I have now registered on the forums and am pending review.

Looks like we're still waiting for you to confirm your e-mail address :)

Guest Evanna

The email took an extended period to arrive, only just arriving just now. It gave me a mighty wait. =) Phew!

The email took an extended period to arrive, only just arriving just now. It gave me a mighty wait. =) Phew!

Approved your account, as well, so you should be good-to-go :) Let us know if you have any problems!

Guest Urathear

My question is this I was wondering if it were possible to have your own story sort of.

For example: It is the year 2015 Urathear an inventor centuries ahead of his time like other famous inventors of the past has a unique understanding and ability to design machines and devices that no other person on earth could even dream of. As luck or destiny would have the young man won a large sum of money upon receiving his prize he had begun work on his biggest and greatest invention of a Starship a ship he could use to leave the planet earth in search for places yet unknown and to escape the increasingly dangerous environment that the earth was rapidly becoming. Urathear begun building his spacecraft in secrete deep with in the Canadian wilderness. As well as building his Ship he had begun building a device he had heard of and realized how to build it once again the devise in question is the mysterious device used to build the Coral Castle by the man Edward Leedskalnin.

Thanks to this devise it would enable Urathear to achieve what no one else could even conceive of doing in the 22 century after building his ship, his Robotic/Android-like crew as well as his engine for his ship which was capable of creating sort cut like passages which he design from the common day theories of how worm-holes were able to instantly transport you great distances he also had a system to propel himself across a solar system by utilizing the magnetic energies of stars and their solar winds. Also with his knowledge he created a crude force field, reinforce titanium hulls which were magnetized, bolted, and welded to the ship, and a simple but clever camouflage device the ships fuselage and wings were specially designed as last resort defense weapon base upon melee attack don't get me wrong this amazing ship was way way way ahead of its time for instance its armament consisted 15 railgun canon mounts, 20 High intensity laser canons, 500,000 concentrated plasma torpedoes (with the ability to make more), and the dual main battle canons the crown jewel of his arsenal capable of taking light energy and increasing its mass and power delivering a devastating blow to anything that may threaten him or his ship but he was careful to make sure that the weapons all retracted back within the ships haul. He also found away to create Nanobots that scientists were still trying to figure out and his ships computer system was given a brain identical to the human brain which his theory on the subject was that the human brain contained the ability that of a C.P.U. you'd find in computer. He also created robotic attack fighters all designed to act like a secondary shield and another weapon system.

After 5 years of intense planning, building, and constructing this ship it was finished Urathear with one last look around what he believed to be his dieing world boarded his ship and begun the take off procedures. Now because of the devise he had built the Anti-gravity generator (Edward Leedskalnin invented and built) taking off from the surface was like swimming through the air. As he was taking off government controlled Fighter Aircraft quickly arrived on scene to intercept what they believe to be a UFO of some kind as soon as they were in ranged they attempted to contact Urathear so as to have him follow them to the nearest air force base, but Urathear just said "wish me luck boys I am leaving this rock for places unknown" and the Flight Leader just repeated what he had said previously while one of the others quietly said "good luck" and another loudly blurted said "God speed to ya!" No sooner then they said that Urathear was gone out of earths atmosphere and into the great beyond. As he entered space Urathear started up his main engine n^because his engine system was not warp drive based it wouldn't show up on any alien sensors as like what happened with first contact with the Vulcans^n as he did he crossed his fingers and hoped for the best because he unfortunately could not test the engines to ensure that it would work properly, fortunately though they did work and very well in a flash he was in orbit of Jupiter and in another he was half way to the closet star to earth however when he jumped a third time he landed himself in a temporal loop which he had failed to think of a defense for although he had not conceived of such a danger. Several hundred years Urathear has been stuck inside this temporal loop unaware and unable to escape on his own by chance or by fate he was freed from his everlasting prison by an unknown vessel. Urathear having notice an unknown ship passing by attempted to communicate with the unknown vessel, n^however unknowingly to Urathear the vessel he was about to establish communications with was a Klingon bird of prey, fortunately though his view screen did not work with theirs so the Klingon's could not see that he was human right away^n with audio only Urathear made contact with the unknown vessel they demanded to know what he was doing in their territory he proclaimed he was an explorer searching the stars for new forms of life in the midst of your speaking the Klingon's managed to penetrate the field surrounding Urathear's ship with scans realizing he is human they become aggressive charging their weapons Urathear's robots informed him of the still unknown ship were generating large amounts of energy which indicated that the were going to fire their weapons Urathear commanded them to raise all defenses and prepare all weapons for combat notify all repair to expect damage and assume their designated stations. No sooner did the robots get the defense systems up the Klingon's opened fire upon Urathear's Ship. Suffering a fair amount of damage Urathear shouts in an enraged tone fire all secondary weapons! Inflicting quiet a bit of damage upon the Klingon himself, his robot report that they do not having enough energy to fire again and that the enemy is charging weapons again as last resort he attempts to communicate again the Klingon's answer demanding he surrender his Ship and prepare for boarding! Urathear responds funny I was just thinking today is a good day to die! With coms. still open Urathear orders RAMMING SPEED rip them and their ship apart! Slightly surprised and over joyed finding Warrior Human not afraid of death their commander replies with the same order of ramming speed however due to the strength of Urathear's armor plating and specifically designing his ship to fight this way he was at an advantage and as the ships made contact Urathear's rips into to the lighter armor of the Klingon ship inflict severe damage before blowing up the Klingon Commander contacted Urathear saying this is a good day to die but not for you this day WE die. When the Klingon vessel blew up it was detected by a passing Federation vessel Excalibur NCC-26517-A which upon its arrival notices the wreckage and Urathear's ship nearby. The Federation ship begins to do their scans of the unknown while Urathear flops back into his chair uttering "oh boy" I'm in trouble now thinking that this new ship is the Mothership of the one he just destroyed decides to again to communicate only this time instructing his robots to repair the ship to get out of dodge and quick. He opens coms. with the strange ship which the Federation had planned to do so themselves, but were instead contacted themselves. Urathear again tried to establish visual and audio communication thinking that is what provoked the last confrontation fortunately being a Federation they were to detect his visual feed and display it on their screen and vice verse. When Urathear saw on the screen he was talking to a Human captain he utter "Well smack silly and call me a monkeys uncle how in blue blaze did you guys manage this I just left not to long I'd say no more than day has gone by sense I left and you already are crossing the universe?!" For a moment the Captain didn't know how to respond to such a thing, however the Captain responded "Can you give me a moment" and cuts audio the Captain asks for data on this ship that is before them the science officer responds with a vague answer stating that their was not much data on the vessel except that early in the 22 century an unknown ship had taken off from earth fitting that ships structure and was never heard from again that is all the information available at this time. The Captain reactivates the coms. he asks for his name he replies Captain Urathear of the Starship Dragon Star and Urathear requests the captains name the Captain gives it. The Captain then begins to make inquiries of what took place to lead to the destruction of the Klingon vessel? Urathear responds with Klingon vessel......Whats a Klingon? The Captain responds the vessel that was just destroy was a Klingon vessel. Urathear responds "That was a Klingon vessel? Okay, well they attack after I had tried to open coms. and speak with them and learn who they were, but instead they attacked me. My ship suffered damage and I return fire with everything I had except my main weapon, but it was useless and I order my robotic pilots to ram them and while coms. were up and they responded with the same orders. I won they lost. They sounded like some true warriors which was refreshing." again the captain stood the in utter disbelief of what he was hearing after a moment the captain finally managed to requested that Urathear come over to their ship and that he had a lot to explain to him and thus would begin the entrance of Urathear to Star fleet or return to earth to learn all that he had missed.

I know it lengthy, but I hope you read it and let me know if its possible to do things this way?

Hi Urathear,

In answer to your question, every writer on each of our ships is able to contribute to a collective storyline. You are directly responsible for deciding your character's race, appearance, background (life before Starfleet Academy), personality etc., and you then write for that character in what we call SIM format, which is a little like a script for a movie or play. An example of this can be found here: http://www.starbase118.net/about/group-introduction/example-sim/

With that said, our normal mode of operations isn't quite the same as the prose-style story that you submitted. To begin with, you would only be controlling one character, and you wouldn't necessarily be directly responsible for the overall storyline, but as you work your way up through the ranks you would have opportunities to develop your own plot ideas and submit them to your CO for missions that the crew could undertake. While a time-travel back story is usually unsuitable for characters (it's important that all characters have a sense of realism about them so that other writers will find it easy to interact with them), it is entirely possible for ships to undertake missions that involve time travel every now and again.

If you're keen on writing in the style of your submission, then you should know that we run a writing challenge bi-monthly as one of our forum-based competitions, and we also have an area called the Character Café, where members can post stories for other members of the fleet to read and enjoy without them having to be part of the normal mission continuity of their ship

I hope that helps :)

Two questions.

First: Is there a timescale on when my account on the forums will be validated?

Second: Although I am playing a human at the moment, if I were to create a second character and he/she were to be a Vulcan, is it safe to say that the minimum telepathy scale number would be a 1 and that there is a possibility that they could be either a 3 or even a 5 depending on the characters level of training with mind melds prior to joining Starfleet?

Edited by Alexander Richards

First: Is there a timescale on when my account on the forums will be validated?

Done!

Second: Although I am playing a human at the moment, if I were to create a second character and he/she were to be a Vulcan, is it safe to say that the minimum telepathy scale number would be a 1 and that there is a possibility that they could be either a 3 or even a 5 depending on the characters level of training with mind melds prior to joining Starfleet?

Hmm, I don't know that we've investigated it that closely, but yes, I suppose a Vulcan could be considered a L5 :)

Thank you for the swift answers. Reading through the information on telepaths/empaths and with the data we have from the shows about Vulcans, an TL5 Vulcan might be a challenge to play as they would have to be completly devoid of emotion (or at least a master at supressing them) and more than likely be rather arrogant in the human sense of the word owing to their vast understanding of logic. Add to that, it would be hard to roleplay the rammifications of melding with a sentient species other than the usual suspects.. (reference: ST:VI TUC - Spocks meld with Lt Valeris - that looked painful for both parties!)

Like with just about any trait that is uncommon for your character's race, it's mostly a matter of coming up with a reasonable explanation for why your character is the way he/she is.

Just one question over here :). When is my forum account going to be validated? I have to private messages I love to read but can't right now:P.

Can you let us know exactly what it says when you try to read your PMs?

Also, with apologies that this is in a bit of a public location (I sent a PM, but if you're having problems reading them then that's obviously not going to help), can I ask you to take a look at your email inbox? Your training group started 4-5 days ago, and we've not received a SIM from you yet :( If you're having technical problems or there are any other issues that are preventing you from posting then please let me know - you can contact me by email if you need to: tallis_rhul@yahoo.com

Thanks - hopefully we'll be able to help out with both things soon :)

Just one question over here :). When is my forum account going to be validated? I have to private messages I love to read but can't right now:P.

Hello Cadet Llewellyn :)

Forum accounts are fully validated once simmers have graduated from the academy. One of the messages is from me, letting you know it is okay to take the training class next week. :) Good luck in your training class!

Looking forward to my training class email notificatioon. Question...when may I start hashing out mt character profile?

Edited by Erik Langhans

Looking forward to my training class email notificatioon. Question...when may I start hashing out mt character profile?

You're welcome to start working on it now. In training we don't do much in the way of character development -- mainly you're expected to just drop in your bio near the end of training. Everything else is pretty much on your own as far as your character itself goes.

However, the "Your Character" page on the site has lots of great tips on how to start your character on the right foot!

Is playing an exiled romulan permissable with fleet brass approval?

Is playing an exiled romulan permissable with fleet brass approval?

Depends on the back-story and reasoning. Would need to be both plausible and well-written for us to consider it. :)

To whom should I submit the character draft/sketch?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.